A Camp page, Williams wait and more Skydome

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2010 – 7:39 am

Two quick pieces of news: The Monday morning practice has been moved inside Walkup Skydome again. It rained all the early morning hours and just now seems to be letting up. And more rain is expected later, so the afternoon practice is probably in outdoor-jeopardy. As always, fans are welcome in either spot.

Also, the Dan Williams deal is not official, not from the team perspective. Is it close? Yes, and I have no reason to think it hasn’t been mostly agreed to. But it’s not done-done, and until that happens, really, everyone needs to wait (That said, it’ll be a shock if Williams isn’t on his way soon. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said Williams is flying to Phoenix so he can be ready to come up when it is done. Williams will still need to take a physical).

OK. I wanted to put out there that we have a new “Training Camp 2010” page. Because the homepage spotlights my stories and blog mostly, we wanted a page that would highlight the yeoman’s work our video people — the web’s Pete McElroy and Dan Nettles, and broadcast’s Tim DeLaney, Johnny Hayward and Mike Dowling — are doing up at camp. We have a ton of video pieces up already and will continue to churn them out. Go to the new camp page, and the last five in each of three categories are laid out, in case you miss a day (and if you do — shame!). The graphics are awesome and the stuff is mostly shot in HD so the quality is better. There is “The Fight for 53,” which will be a video diary following four different players, various news packages, some practice footage, etc.

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “A Camp page, Williams wait and more Skydome”

1. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Vids don’t play on me iiPad. I know, Cards locked in battle with AAPL:) I’ll go with Cards but maybe for the longer term checklist. Thx

2. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Don’t Take —

Gotta get Apple to make sure Flash works on their stuff.

3. By LadyCard04 on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Haven’t been able to get past the commercials for a couple of the videos, ie Stevie Baggs and Anthony Becht. The others load correctly so it shouldn’t be a problem on my end.

Have you heard anything about the stadium and how they will be handling the first pre-season game? We have season tickets and have been waiting way toooooo long for football to start and hope that we’ll be in our regular seats at UofP on the 14th.

Thanks.

4. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard —

Baggs is fixed. We are working on Becht.

Right now, everything is supposed to be on schedule for the stadium. I will let you know if that changes.

5. By Rick on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Speaking of Baggs, how has he looked so far? Do you think he makes the team??

6. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Rick —

Too early to know.

7. By Lawrence Miller on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

You write “Yes, and I have no reason to think it has been mostly agreed to.” In context, it seems you might have meant “I have reason to think.” Just wondered. I truly enjoy your work and admire your ability to meet your team-based vocational responsibilities and remain credible with readers and peer journalists.

8. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Lawrence —

Seems like I am writing too fast, huh? Lemme change that.

9. By card62 on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren nice articles on rookie Washington out of TCU and R. Johnson I believe from Alabama.

I did some reading on Washington and it seems there was debate on his coming out of college on if he would be better at OLB or ILB plus like you reported I read it took him some time (years) to be comfortable at TCU and I even read it took him a couple of years to be comfortable playing high school football so I worry if Washington will be one of those players that will take a couple of years to figure out the NFL. Hopefully the Cardinals can just let him focus on stopping the run and not play on passing downs. We need him to contribute this year.

Glad to hear that Johnson had a good practice as my memory is telling me it also took Johnson some years to figure out college football so hopefully he understands our defense now. Go Cards!

10. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

darren: re AAPL. Good one;)

11. By Jim in Missouri on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

How many more “will so-and-so make the team?” questions will it take before your head explodes?

And a follow-up question, do you have the answer “too soon to tell” on a quick-key or a cut-and-paste?

12. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Jim in Missouri —

It’s not my favorite line of questioning, if you can’t tell.

13. By brad oneill on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

personally i love the will he or wont he discussions. I know its too early to answer but its a fair discussion point. I think people just want to know how their guys are doing. Max Hall obviously has got a lot of followers and a few of us are huge Herman Johnson fans. this is what training camp is about. its not about rather larry fitzgerald will make the team we already know that, it is about the dreams of some guys we are rooting for and are going to be fulfilled.

i remember Duece’s first camp and how exciting it was to have a hometown guy out there and being excited about him contributing to the team. This is a great time for fans let’s not be too hard on them for getting excited.

14. By Paul on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, thought I would mention this. I don’t see the link to the “Camp page” from the azcardinals homepage. I had to link to it from your blog entry.

15. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Paul —

I probably should have mentioned it. It is there under the drop down menus, Under “news and events” go to “2010 training camp.”

2. Aug 2, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com