A night of thrills and chills

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2010 – 10:09 pm

The Cardinals had their first night practice, and it had moments of ooohs and aaahs. And not necessarily good ones. And it ended with a flourish.

The goal-line stand at the end was full of emotion (the defense dominated) but the Cardinals got a scare when tight end Ben Patrick went down after a catch and had cornerback Greg Toler fall over him. Patrick was writhing in pain grabbing at his left knee. Not a good sign, especially on artificial turf (albeit nice field turf). Patrick was helped off limping, and by the end of the practice, he was standing on his own, even if he was walking gingerly. Officially, Patrick has a sprained left knee and has an MRI scheduled.

It was a night that otherwise highlighted the defense. Three times the “D” ran safety blitzes — once each by Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes and Matt Ware — that would have ended with sacks. Darnell Dockett blew up one play where he stoned Tim Hightower. And in the live goal line at the end, the first team defense had a sack, a fumble recovery and jammed up running back Tim Hightower on three plays at the 3-yard line.

I’ll have more about the intensity of this camp so far in a notebook I’ll post in the next hour.

Tags: , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “A night of thrills and chills”

1. By Aaron on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

I’m all for intensity and obviously there’s a side of me that’s happy to read about how different this year is, but hopefully the guys keep it smart still. One of the keys to our success the last two years has been a lack of injuries…

2. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Is it an indictment of artificial turf that the last two training camps have yielded injuries to potential starters, Patrick and Beanie Wells? Or just bad luck?
    The Cards have been relatively injury-free the last 2 seasons.

3. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

Beanie’s ankle injury came on the grass field at NAU.

4. By Jesse Robles on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

5. By Walter L on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully Patrick is ready to go when the season starts, I would imagine he’s going to have a bigger role in the passing game with Leinart under center, and a better O-line.

So who’s left at TE for camp? Dominique Byrd and Stephen Spach?

6. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Walter —

Yes. Although I’d expect Becht to return to practice soon.

7. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

BLITZ BABY BLITZ!!!!!!!

8. By brad oneill on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

hey its been an hour and 1 minute!!!! he he he.

9. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

You’re killing me. Posting now.

10. By Darthcard on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Great job defense!! As for the offense…unacceptable. You get to the goal you punch it in. If I watched that in a real game if the offense did that I’d be speaking a language I didn’t even know lol. Once again great job D.

11. By Cardinal Cody on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Saw a clip on Sports Nation yesterday where there was a slight brawl at one of the card’s practices involving dockett and some O-linemen when Faneca got knocked into Leinart, barely missing his ankle. The hosts of the show agreed that it seemed good for the team and it didn’t look like anything too serious, and it seems to me that this team is starting to get a little bit of an “edge” or “nastiness” to it. Anybody else feel like a big red storm of fury and ferocity is about to be unleashed on those who are underestimating the cards this year? Hope Ben is going to be okay!!! Go Cards!!

12. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Cardinal Cody —

You did watch our video on it, didn’t you? http://www.azcardinals.com/photos-videos/videos/Spirited-Practice/43db0a84-e2ac-4cf5-98a6-b7fedeb76b95

13. By Thomas77 on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Seems we’re hearing a lot about the defense; their “accomplishments” and physical play. Just based on the blogs and other reports, I’m sorta getting the feeling that the defense is dominating. I mean, darnell dockett plowed over faneca in the video of the fight with brown. Now, I haven’t been able to

14. By Thomas77 on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

…sorry, I accidentally submitted before I was finished.

Now, I haven’t been able to catch a practice yet, myself (I plan on being there this Saturday). But, based on what you and the other folks at KTAR and AZCardinals.com are seeing, is there a bit of concern with our offense/offensive line?

15. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

I will say it seems the D-line has the upper hand. But it is early.

16. By Derrik on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope the ankle is okay. Does NAU have a MRI machine or do they have to go back down to the valley?

17. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Derrik —

Not sure where Patrick will go for that. And it is the knee, not the ankle.

18. By Big Red on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Two tough defenses playing in the SB… CARDINALS VS RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember that Darren. Fitz against Bolden the two best receivers in the NFL.

19. By Superdawg17 on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    Did Rouse report?? There’s no listing on the roster and if he did, how does he look. After all he is a veteran.

20. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Superdawg —

Whoops. My bad. I put him in our system but didn’t add him to the roster yet. My fault. he is here.

21. By brad oneill on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

hey if this team is going to hold everyone accountable us fans have to do our part!

22. By Cards Fan on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

ANy chance the Cardinal will pursue recently released linebacker Aaron Schobel?

23. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Cards —

Doubt it. Schobel is an OLB and they need ILB. Besides, he lives near Houston and it’s practically a done deal he is going to play for the Texans.

24. By Justin on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Derrik,

Flagstaff has a great medical center so I am sure it will be there.

25. By John on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Glad to see the defense playing so well, but dont defenses always get the upper hand early in training camp. It seems it just takes the offense a little bit longer to gel and work as a single unit.

26. By card62 on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Thank you for all the stories on training camp. Interesting on Beanies feelings last year and DD feelings when he arrived years ago.

Concerning the fumble was it the running backs fault and if so which back?
    This was a big problem for us last year and really killed our offensive mojo last year in several games and completely changed games tempo, and I think it will be even more important this year with no Kurt.

27. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Card62 —

It was a fumbled snap.

28. By Paul on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

has Matt been getting many more reps with the starters than Derek? I know Whiz has said Matt is “the guy” but is there any sense that there is a competition for the starting spot, and has either looked *noticeably* better than the other?

29. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Paul —

“Noticeably?” No. But Leinart has basically been with the 1s and Derek with the 2s.

30. By Javier Montoya on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Dang I hope the offense gets a chance to get a rhythm haha! But you’re right defense does win championships. Can’t win without touchdowns though.

31. By R Robles on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren Pass This On To The Coachs Try Dockett As A Tight End His Athletic Enough To Play That Position Haha Give Him A Shot. Why Not?

32. By Dylan on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

either our defense is amazing or the cards offense is horrible idk which one yet

33. By Justin on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

I expect our D-line to have the upper hand. It’s not an indictment on the o-line that the D-line is taking it to them. It’s more of a sign of how good our d-line is gonna be this year. This line is gonna be the heart & soul of the team. Dockett is gonna lead this line to greatness. This is gonna be a nasty bunch that will not get pushed around. I hope to see this continue. And it only helps our o-line that they’re going up against this nastiness everyday in practice. They will be well prepared for what the rest of the league brings to the table during the season.

2. Aug 4, 2010: Sports Review
  3. Aug 5, 2010: Sports Review
  4. Aug 5, 2010: Sports Review
  5. Aug 5, 2010: Sports Review
  6. Aug 5, 2010: Ben Patrick / Cardinals TE Ben Patrick was diagnosed with a displaced kneecap and will be ready for Week 1. Patrick | Sporty Twits