And .. we’re .. just .. about .. done

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2010 – 5:45 pm

The Cardinals held their last afternoon practice of Flagstaff, much to the delight of the players. They don’t hold much love for this place, and it’s all because training camp is here. They moved through their work pretty quickly — coach Ken Whisenhunt shut it down about 30 minutes early — and will have a final practice tomorrow morning.

— The injury list didn’t change. Still out were WR Early Doucet (abdomen), WR Larry Fitzgerald (knee), LB Gerald Hayes (back-PUP) and LB O’Brien Schofield (knee-PUP). LB Reggie Walker was suited up, but his sore hamstring continues to limit him, it looks like.

— One man on hand to watch practice was Danny White, the former Arizona State and Dallas Cowboys quarterback who has been one of the most successful coaches in Arena Football League history (his Rattlers beat Kurt Warner’s Iowa Barnstormers for the Arena championship in 1997, Warner’s last AFL game). White was there to watch his nephew Max Hall, who is battling for a quarterback job. If you are Hall, not a bad resource to have in the family. “I didn’t teach him a thing,” White insisted.

— A great moment: Steve Breaston made a catch and broke to the sideline nearest the crowd on the close field. DRC angled over (remember, no tackling) and the two burst into a short sprint, and when they did — stride for stride — Breaston let out a loud unmistakable Breaston laugh. The crowd loved it. These two have engaged on again and off again since DRC’s rookie year about who is faster. They each claim they will race to determine it once and for all. And they never quite get around to racing.

— I have mentioned rookie WR Andre Roberts many times, mostly because he has had trouble consistently catching. So it’s only fair to talk about it when he has a good day. He looked solid today. In three-receiver sets, he was running with Breaston and fellow rookie Stephen Williams. With the injuries to Doucet and Fitz, Roberts should get plenty of work Monday night.

(And as a quick P.S. to the Roberts thing, this was safety Adrian Wilson on his Big Red Rage radio show this week, taking about going after any rookies in preseason games: “No, but the kid from the Citadel we got, the third-round pick? I think all of us are gonna jump on him if he don’t start catching the ball. Period.”)

— Safety Rashad Johnson made another nice play today, picking off a John Skelton pass.

— Rookie cornerback Marshay Green (funny how the same guys keep getting mentioned) made a nice play during special teams. Ben Graham boomed a punt and Green caught it over the shoulder inside the 5 and, as he started falling into the end zone, tossed it back out where it was downed at the 3. Green really looks like he could do something on Teams. The problem is the Cards have a similar player in Michael Adams. Would they go younger? Does Green get some practice squad time?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “And .. we’re .. just .. about .. done”

1. By cody on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what can you tell me about Alfonso Smith? ive been hearing a bit of chatter about him recently, but i dont know a thing about him. does he have a good shot at making the team? and if so, will he play any kind of rolei n the running game? from what ive heard about him, id say he could make the practice squad and significantly contribute in the running game in a couple of years. but then again, i havent heard much about him, so i cant be sure.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Cody —

I do not expect him to make the team. They already have four running backs they like.

3. By kingdiamond on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Green over Adams.

4. By kingdiamond on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

P.S.

Adrian Wilson is correct about Roberts. It is not uncommon for the Cards to cut a third string pick…remember Buster Davis.

5. By Jzoully on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Quite honestly I don’t want the cardinals to cut Andre Roberts, he’s unproven but I know he has alot of ability. Darren what I want to know is…
    Is Andre Roberts another Buster Davis?

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully —

No. Buster had a lot of issues, and not just on the field.

7. By kyle on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I’ve seen what adams can do… (or cant do) I’d like to give the rookie green a shot

8. By TucsonTim on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Green vs Adams. Are you kidding me. Green looked like he was over 5 foot tall. Can we get a reality check here. Little guys make for a great story…thats all. A roster spot for the Hyphen is enough.

9. By robleezy on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Just want to say I was watching WR Williams college highlights and i have to say I am impressed what do you think the future holds for this Great young athlete!

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Robleezy -_

Williams has had a great start. We’ll see if he can keep it up.

11. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Roberts won’t pass through waivers to make the PS and with all the WR ailments, he ‘s not going anywhere. Plus, Davis played for the Lions, Colts and Texans and still plays professional football- if you count the UFL as “real”. (Hey, Jeff Garcia says it pays the bills.)
    And, Coach Whiz, if Grimm receives a HC job soon and you lose faith in Miller’s passing calls, please don’t hesitate in looking into Mr. Hall’s Uncles resume, you might be pleasantly surprised.

12. By John on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Took the whole family to Flagstaff to watch practice (six of us).
    It was great again, we all had a fantastic time watching the players work, and afterwords the kids got lots of autographs. One of my sons got his ball (the one given to us by Ben graham on Tuesday) signed by Dockett, A-Dub, DRC, Hightower, Whisenhunt, Hagans, Skelton, and Lutui,
    I was really surprised how long Darnell Dockett stayed after and signed. He went down the whole line and did not seem like he skipped anybody. Very nice and polite.
    Darren, please pass along our thanks, not only to Dockett, but to all the players!
    Now, just have to figure out how to get the wife to let me go back up tomorrow morning as well………

13. By Joe-B on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Keep it up Andre!

14. By Dylan on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

this article is THE only one i have seen since warner has retired saying the cardinals are still in this….

15. By Fabian on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Thought you all might be interested to know that Stephen Williams is mentioned on a front page foxsports.com article about training camp surprises.

16. By Slim on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Plenty of time for Roberts to get it together, especially with Doucet and Fitz sitting out. We have a lot of talent in the WR core, so he better prove he was worth his 3rd round draft status. If he can’t really improve, or show that he can take one to the house on a punt return, I could see him getting cut. Let’s hope not.

17. By trigidy22 on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

R.I.P JOHNNY BAILEY!!!

18. By trigidy22 on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren do u think the Cards could sign a vet cornerback?? maybe a Carlos Rodgers??? or are we set??? Thanks

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

Rogers is a Redskin, I believe. I do think the Cards will look long and hard at the waiver wire list at the end of the preseason, for both a CB and maybe an ILB.

20. By ShannonRobinson on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

A strong organization spins off great athletes into other programs on occasion. It was fun to see Antonio Smith playing Defensive End for the Texans – here’s a guy we brought up through NFL Europe and I think he was once on the practice squad. It’s a compliment when teams pick from our roster & why I’ll watch our guys make an impact with the Ravens, Giants, and Miami. There are several players now who will be claimed if the Cards have to cut them: Jeremy Clark was a steal from the Giants practice squad; Mark Washington is a very good prospect at outside LB; and watch the stock rise for Pestock and Palmer when teams can sign a couple guys who’ve been coached by Russ Grimm for two years. The Cards have a vibrant 80 man roster that will be enticing to teams when the Turk comes knocking – that deserves a tip of the Cardnial wing to Mr. Graves, Steve Keim and company.

21. By trigidy22 on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren? Was wondering if are D-line is more worried of the guys that are in front of them??or ADUB hitting them from the back?? I would be worried of ADUB!! An can Adrian play any QB?? LOL..IRONMAN Love how Adrian Wilson is getting LOUD!! ADUB is a BEAST!!! Thats how u make a superbowl team.. Get 22 Adrian Wilson’s on your Team!! Thanks!!

22. By TBru on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Rest in Peace Johnny Bailey
    Probably my favorite player in the early days.

23. By Nikko on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

sorry Adams, I’m going Green!!!

24. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

I must say, I find Adrian Wilson to be such a breath of fresh air for the fact that he doesn’t say a whole lot but when he does, he makes it count. Pro sports in general could use many more players / people just like him!

25. By Gerald McCully on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

As a guy who saw Andre Roberts in hs and college, I would like to add this…. . He is a quality player with a strong work ethic, who will contribute to the Cards, this year on special teams. The special teams/ strong work ethic will allow him to stay with the Cards until he masters his wr assignments….. once he has his assignments down, you will see why the Cards drafted him. Andre will not disappoint. Andre Roberts started his two a days in HS, dropping the ball. He had a bout of the drops as a frosh/knob at The Citadel…. once he mastered his assignments, then his hands were fine. This small college guy was a flat out miss by Bowden at Clemson and Spurrier at Carolina.

26. By card62 on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

I think we have room for Green, Adams, and LSH on our special teams. You can not have too many of these guys on special teams and I like to see how Green progresses at playing DB.

I hope Roberts has a great game Monday night against the Titans and picks it up and improves from there. I was not a fan of the pick, but he is a Cardinal now so I hope he plays great, and Early Doucet did not do much for us his first 2 years and I think if Early can stay healthy he will have a breakout 50+ catch season for us in 2010.

GO Cards!