Dockett v. Grimm. A hypothetical

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2010 – 8:05 am

Darnell Dockett keeps talking about getting better, and that includes quizzing offensive linemen about how they do things — so he is better prepared to adjust to an opponent. That also talking with the newest Hall of Fame offensive lineman, Russ Grimm, the Cards’ assistant head coach and offensive line coach.

“He can teach me all the tricks the offensive linemen can do,” Dockett said. “He rides his Harley, talks to you, a players’ coach. He never walks past you and don’t speak. Much respect from me.”

But Dockett also digests that Hall of Fame tag for Grimm and itches to actually battle Grimm. Forget the fact he is 51, or that when Grimm played he was 6-foot-3, 273 and Dockett is 6-4, 290. (I am guessing Grimm isn’t 273 anymore …). Dockett wants one chance.

“I’ve been trying to go against him one-on-one,” Dockett said. “I told him, I just want to get one pass rush on him, just so I can say I went against a Hall of Famer. I promised him I’d kick his ass. … I’m gonna run a slam-over. I’ll do one time – because I know he’ll only stand up there one time – and I’ll make it work.

At least Dockett seems to understand he’d have the advantage. Grimm does too, which is why the coach chuckles at the suggestion. Asked (in humor) if he’d give Dockett his opportunity, Grimm shook his head. “Not gonna get it. Not gonna get it.”

“Jerry Rice got up there (at the Hall of Fame induction ceremonry) and said he thought he could still play,” Grimm said. “I know I can’t still play. These guys are a lot bigger and stronger than we were back in the 80s.”

But — and there is always a but — if Grimm were to be able to travel back in time to recapture his youth at the peak of his skills, he thinks his Hogs could have handled Nine-O.

“Dock? Oh yeah,” Grimm said. “Get a guy like Dockett, we’d just cut the splits down and do the snowplow effect, straight ahead. We weren’t gonna let that quickness beat us.”

Tags: ,

64 Responses to “Dockett v. Grimm. A hypothetical”

1. By bobF on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

We need a computer simulation, a’la Rocky 6.

“Right now, I know his back hurts, he’s got bad knees, he’s always complaining about his ankles. I got him right now, I promise you.” LOL!!!!

2. By trigidy22 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck 9-0 with your new team!! no way cards are going to spend the money! have not in the past wont in the future!!! There is a reason the Cards! have no Arizona hall of fame players!!! Thats why the bid’s flew 2 ohio for grimm!!! because they will never keep a player that long never have never will… Thanks!

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

Careful you don’t break those ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

4. By MikeG on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Nice Blog!
    Russ Grimm was part of one of the best O-Lines in
    history. I never believed one man on the Redskins stood above the other. They worked great as a group
    because they were smart and played together forever.
    They also had great coaches in Bugel and Hanifan. I
    believe having a smart center is pivital!!! I believe
    Sendlein is one of the underrated Cardinals— he has
    improved ever year and recognizes defenses well! Darren, do you think he can be an all-pro someday in this league???

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

All-pro might be stretching it, but Lyle could be a starter for a long time.

6. By trigidy22 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Cards just draft players too let them go!!! We are the minors of the NFL!! Darren can u write us a list of Cards players we drafted playing for other teams!!!! lol or a list of players that after we drafted we didnt resign??? i know its a long long list!!!

7. By trigidy22 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Bandwagon!!! I speak only the truth!!! we will see next year when Dockett gets traded like Boldin!! or walks like Rolle? Dansby? u get paid by the Team i dont!! i can see why we wouldnt need to keep Bolden??? 1000yr reciever 5 of 7 years!! ask larry if he misses Bolden!! Facts dont lie!!! its the TRUTH!!!!

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

I could make that list for every team, easily. That’s the NFL. You say the Cards never re-signed anyone. OK, Rolle was on his rookie deal. Dansby was franchised two years in a row because he wouldn’t sign an extension (one his agent had agreed to, by the way). He clearly wanted out of here. Both Boldin and Dockett signed contract extensions, or did you forget? (And Dockett will sign another extension here, mark my words). How do you know Fitz misses Boldin? He hasn’t played any games without him. You don’t know. And that’s a fact. Boldin is a good player. But he is also a 30-year-old with a recent history of breaking down.

I may get paid by the team but you see this through the passionate eyes of a fan who can’t get past his own emotions. This is a harsh business. Go check with the Pittsburgh Steelers. They let Joey Porter walk. They let Kevin Greene walk. Santonio Holmes. Plaxico Burress. The Patriots dumped Mike Vrabel. Richard Seymour. Deion Branch. Asante Samuel. The Colts wouldn’t bring back Marvin Harrison. Edgerrin James. That’s what this league is.

As for Hall of Famers, that has to do with winning teams. Let me ask you this: Of the guys the Cards have let walk, how many have made the Hall of Fame? How many will? I love Anquan, but he isn’t a Hall of Famer. Neither is Rolle, or Dansby, or Thomas Jones or Simeon Rice. So exactly what is your point on that?

9. By trigidy22 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

10. By Jon L on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Dockett may be one of the best D linemen in the league right now but Grimm is one of the best O linemen of all time. Hey 9-0 put on some tape of Grimm in his hog days and shut up and give the man the respect he deserves. You don’t get any respect by taking on a guy in his 50’s you get respect by putting your head down and putting current players to shame. Lets see some of that this season 9-0!

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Jon L —

Let’s be clear: Darnell was having some fun. Let’s not light into the guy.

12. By Ben on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, quick question;

Didnt Herman Johnson play left guard at LSU?

Just wondering why we have him over on the right side then. Wouldnt this be a great, young line if they could get it gellin:

Brown – Johnson – Sendlein – Lutui – Keith

Sign them all long term and get them going!!!

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

I think the Cards always saw Herman as more of a tackle than guard, but that is always possible.

14. By Jesse Robles on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy22, if you think like that then you are a BANDWAGON FAN!! GO jump on the Jets BANDWAGON. It would be nice to keep Boldin, he is so injury prone it is rediculous. He was getting up there in his age too, Boldin would’ve wanted a long term deal too. When one of these young receivers steps up and plays good you will continue to be a bandwagon fan.

15. By trigidy22 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

ps. Darren my ankles have not worked since i was born!!! so i should be ok since im in a wheelchair!!! I will not walk anytime soon so make your jokes!!!

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

Assuming you’re telling the truth, I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. If you were taking me literally with that comment, there are bigger issues here.

17. By kingdiamond on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Game, Set, match, Darren!

18. By MikeG on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–I agree– the Cards will extend Dockett.
    They want him to represent the Cards just like Adrian Wilson is doing. Football today is a business and you
    can’t overpay for Calvin Pace, Antonio Smith Etc….
    The Cards under the Whiz regime have done a great job drafting and building a good team. I think the
    goal of this Cardinal regime is to have a quality product year in and year out. Let’s not forget what this new stadium has done for this organization as well. It has been a major impact!!! Agree?????

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

I think, like I said before (and as you said) every good player isn’t going to stay. The Cards, for instance, believed Karlos was a good player. But not one who was worth, whatever it was, $25 million guaranteed. And if Daryl Washington turns into the player they think he will be, even trigidy isn’t going to worry about Dansby leaving. We always talk about Whiz bringing a Pittsburgh-esque team to Arizona, but that goes deeper than the field. The Steelers, like the Cards, are family-owned and don’t have some huge corporate bank vault like the Cowboys or Redskins to just throw money at everyone. So there will be picking and choosing, and the need to let some stars walk once in a while and be replaced by younger, cheaper versions. If the Cards keep a quality product, as you say, there really can’t be major complaints.

20. By Javier Montoya on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

-Trigidy

Ask Adrian Wilson and Larry Fitzgerald about deals.. Docket is one of those type of guys so to me its likely we’ll keep him. I mean, we didn’t always have the cash to keep those names we wish we could have anyways.. U remember going to games at ASU and the stands were empty or full of Cowboys fans or any other fans?? Well things are still changing. You just bust out with negative comments it gets old though. We have to support our team and be thankful that the last couple of years we actually have had legitimate shots for the Super Bowl and were seconds from winning one. Regardless of who was playing for us.

21. By MikeG on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren–Totally agree–I think fans also don’t realize what having a quality coaching staff has
    done to impact this team. The Card’s have a really good coaching staff that can develop young talent.
    You look at the Dennis Green era and although he drafted well they were not a well coached team.
    I always thought his offensive line was a joke.
    Good coaching plus good drafting= Good Team!!!!
    No need to overpay certain players!!! Everyone can be replaced!!!! TEAM is what is important!!

22. By Mike T on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

“Darren maybe im wrong can u name 1 hall of fame guy that wore a azcards jersey?? I mean only been here since 1987”

….. Emmit Smith wore an AZ Cardinals jersey….. he is now in the Hall of Fame. Didn’t ask for a career player so i say it counts 🙂

23. By trigidy22 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren ur the man i was just making a comment on my ankles an i like your jokes i was just saying if i do jump off the bandwagon im landing on wheels brother!! dam u did break it down too me thats for sure!!! lol P.S.S when is your contract up?? an do u think the Cards can afford u?? or are u walking away soon too????

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

If they can’t afford me, this whole organization is in deep trouble. I’m giving them the hometown discount. 😉

25. By Steve on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

I would like to know who the Cards have lost that they should have brought back in the Whiz/ Graves era? (Let’s not forget Graves not Whiz drafted Fitz, Dandy and DD)

Boldin is 30 you and missed 17 games in 6 years. Even Montana the best QB in modern era had to play for KC to end his career.

Dansby was a good player but not the best ILB in the NFL like the Dolphins are paying him. He also seemed to take too many plays off.

Rolle was a great hybrid safety, being between a corner and a FS. Problem is when you are a hybrid you aren’t great at anything. Is Rolle a better athelete then Rhodes, yes. Is he better with YAI (yards after int), yes. But could Rolle tackle or stuff the run when needed, never. We have a top 5 corner in DRC and an up in comer in Toler. We don’t need hybrid safeties.

With A-dub pushing him Rhodes will have a stellar year.

Edgerein James…
    Jake Plummer…(maybe)
    David Boston…
    L. Davis…(not for what he was paid to play guard)

The opposite way I look and see without playing fantasy football who could the Cards have brought in that they didn’t pursue?

Only one name pops in my head in McNabb and I think they made the right choice to trust in Matt and see what he can do. ( We would probably be the popular pick like the Jets this year if we had)

26. By trigidy22 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

SHOW DARREN URBAN THE MONEY!!!!!Thank god brother!! we would be in trouble if u were not here brother!!! i love your blogs an all u do for the fans!! giving us so much inside reporting an answering are questions even comments from jerks like myself lol go bigred!!

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

You’re not a jerk. We’re all just here debating about a team we care about — right? Right.

28. By chris freeman on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

question , after reviewing the Legerret Blount interview, he stated that the players (knowing that once a helmet falls off the play is called dead) were trying to get his helmet off during his running plays.

Will this be something that we may see more of during games – when defenses cant get someone down they go for taking off the helmet.

or if there will be any repercussions for intentional dislodging of a helmet… since I guess that’s what they practice in Tennessee. – according to Blount.

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

Well, to me, if a player has his chin strap done up, the only way a player is dislodging a helmet like that is by yanking the facemask, and that comes with a hefty penalty.

I think Blount is a ticking time bomb, and I’m not sure what he has to say is coming from a rational place.

30. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

The irresistable force meets the immovable object, would have been a great match-up to see. 9-0 doesn’t seem to be leaving any stone unturned this year (quizzing Grimm, torturing the weight room, OTA’s, full tilt at training camp, etc.). Looking forward to a monster season from him.

31. By Brad ONeill on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

darren if they ever quit paying you put ads on your blog i will click them every day just so you can get your 1/10th of a penny per view.

when the cards hired denny green i was very conflicted because i was living in Minnesota at the time and had watched his horrible game management skills hurt the vikings repeatedly. but no one can argue against his ability to find and put together talent and to coach his guys to greatness. Part of our success under whiz is due to the things Denny did. Now don’t get me wrong Whiz deserves a lot of the credit and he took that team further than any fan had a right to expect but he was given a team with lots of potential that just wasn’t being driven right.

i think wiz is giving Parcels a run for his money as the greatest coach on the brad o’neill official list of greatest coaches of all time.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

I’ll be sure to pass that on to Coach.

33. By John on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Great article as always, Darren, and thank you for continuing to post on peoples comments. Keep up the good work.

34. By thatsjustgreat on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

trigidy –

Also, the cards probably feel fairly confident without Boldin considering their two biggest playoff offensive outputs over the last 2 seasons were with him on the sideline

35. By Ben on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Great article followed by a great debate. Dont kiss and make up yet, I still have 4 hours of work left to get through!!!

36. By Peter in Canada on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Fans like Trigidy are loyal and passionate but they forget one thing. Unlike baseball where teams like the Yankees can overpay players and eat the contracts if they make mistakes, the Cards are bound by the cap. I’m sure they would like to sign player a and player b but they run into the situation where they can only sign one or if they sign both player c must be released. And the player who goes is always someone’s favourite. That is why the draft is so so important. And that is where management has shown their stuff. They have young players on the cusp of replacing the Boldins and Dansbys. Darren, I understand how hard it is for you to be the voice of reason.

37. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Lol. Sheeez this was funny.

38. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

hey at least trigidy22 is telling the truth about your team at least he isnt one of u blinded fans that drank to much cards cool aid

39. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

i just read your blogs to get some good laughs for the day cause u guys think the cards are so great your like 7up never had it and never will

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Irvinandprime —

I am guessing by your handle you are a Cowboys fan. But hey, I won’t complain if another team’s fan wants to give me internet traffic.

41. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

and for mike t we give a large glass of cards kool aid name one cardinal that emmitt smith mentioned in his speech when he named of all the guys who blocked for him.

42. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

hey pete every year u guys are one of the teams with the most cap room. i dont know y they have u up there every year how many mil r u below this year

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Irvinandprime —

Hey we have an open door policy, as long as things aren’t turned ugly. Just promise you’ll be back if the Cards beat the Cowboys on Christmas.

I’m sure the Cowboys, of all teams, have no bandwagon fans.

And a quick FYI, there is no salary cap this year. And actually, the last four years where there was a cap, the Cardinals spent to the limit each year.

44. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

thanks darren u should let other fans on here

45. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

hey darren r u pulling that red flyer wagon u r pulling around as the cards band wagon i dont know how u could hurt yourself there not that high to jump off of

46. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

oh we have a big bunch of bandwagoneers who i hate cause they never had to go through the late 80s and 1-15 they all hooped off than than they all hooped on and in the early 2000s they hooped off again and now there getting back on but one thing has stayed the same and that is i am not on no wagon just a die hard who will be burried with his mitchell and ness roger staubach jersey on and his aikman irvin and the kings jersey in the coffin to. now i have born here in az and there were no cardinals only cowboys games and that is where my loyalty will stay. One thing i can say is 90% of cards fans will b off your wagon very very soon

47. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

i meant early 90s and hooped off 2000 tell now

48. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

lol xmas i will b back but u and ur fans wont like me very much trust me

49. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

oh yeah russ grimm would have killed dockett everytime they would have played trust me on that russ went against randy the manster white year in and year out and in case u dont know what a manster is it half man half monster and yeah he is a hall of famer too. dockett would have stood a chance

50. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

dockett would not have stood a chance

51. By Russ Grimm on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

“(I’m guessing he’s not 273 any more…)”

Are you calling me fat?

52. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Russ —

Nah. You’re big-boned.

Just for the record though, I have played basketball against Russ. He doesn’t move like he used to, but he is a bear down low. And strong as hell.

53. By Davy on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Irvine I too was born in AZ. and I too was a Cowboys fan that cried when they lost to San Fran on the Catch. They were the team of the SOuthwest I am now a Cardinals fan cause that is where I live and whats in Texas besides steers and the BUshes. I am not a bandwagon fan and no team has more bandwagon fans than Dallas so write to the Dallas papers and complain about bandwagoners there. When the Cards beat the Cowpolks in December you will not write cause you a computer tough guy. The Big REd will rise.

54. By TBru on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

“Darren maybe im wrong can u name 1 hall of fame guy that wore a azcards jersey?? I mean only been here since 1987″

Add Kurt Warner to the list in 5 years

55. By Sedona Chris on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Urb-

in response to the troll, trigidy22, what do you think Aeneas Williams’ chances are of being in the H O F? I recently read he was a semi-finalist this year.

56. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Sedona —

I think he’s got a shot, although there are a lot of deserving guys floating out there right now. It might take a while.

57. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

yo davy i will write win or lose i dish it and i can take it

58. By irvinandprime on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

did kurt win a superbowl here? wasnt he a ram i think a u usally goto the hall with the guys u won a ring with if i am not mistaken did the rams get him as a undrafted guy from the arena football league with the iowa barnstormers or some crap. u guy need to get a hall of famer though for sure one who played his career here

59. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Irvinandprime —

Obviously, Kurt came to fame in St. Louis. But I know enough Hall of Fame voters to know that he never would have had a chance at the Hall without doing what he did in Arizona. And for the record, Warner played in more games as a Cardinal than he did as a Ram.

60. By OLdude on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Mr. irvinandprime (iap) – Thank you for re-affirming the reason I cannot stand the franchise or the fans of the Cowz. Aside from being NOTORIOUS front runners with cowCHIPS on their shoulders they have a hard core of smack talkin star wearing fans who are quick to bring up ancient history as if it is the present. Over the past 5 YEARS which team has the better record. been to more playoff games, and more Super Bowls??? THE ARIZONA CARDINALS BABY!!!! see you in DECEMBER……..WE played in a college stadium for almost 2 decades and were drastically underfunded compared to many of the teams we competed against…. see what happens when the playing field is even??? You won’t be punking us anytime soon. ….maybe ever

61. By thatsjustgreat on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

irvinandprime –

adrian wilson and larry fitzgerald are both on pace to easily be hall of famers.. and shouldn’t you be on a cowboys forum?

62. By Kevin Allen on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Sharkey, would have contained Doc’s butt. Sent him home w/ his tail between his legs. Grimms definitely would have had Doc questioning his own man-hood.
    The thing you forget he (Grimm) was a QB. Grimmy picks up every little tell & tendencies. See Ya Doc! PITT IS IT…..Love those Panthers!

63. By Brad O'Neill on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

ok back to the article. I can see Grim going all eastern promises on Dockett when he saw that shower tweet.

64. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

trigidy22 –

Two words – Adrian Wilson. I hear what you are saying but the truth lies somewhere between the extremes of “never” and “always.” Darren already pointed out most of the logical points to be made, so…enough said. But Wilson is still here. I’ll bet ya Fitzgerald ain’t going anywhere. And let’s not throw dirt on 9-0’s grave until / unless the Cardinals fail there and he ends up in another uniform. Relax, dude! By the way, as to your claim that Fitzgerald misses Boldin…well, they were close friends so maybe he does on a personal level. But on the field? Check your history – Fitzgerald has consistently come up HUGE in games where Boldin did not play.