One guess at the 53

Posted by Darren Urban on September 2, 2010 – 1:27 pm

It only got delayed a day or so, but, before we get to the final preseason game, I wanted to take my annual shot at how the roster will play out. Obviously, I’m not on the coaching staff. These are my guesstimates, based on what I’ve watched through camp and the preseason. And Given that there are some big pieces that could be in play, in or out (Matt Leinart, Reggie Wells), so this is fluid. LB Gerald Hayes, for instance, could be put on the PUP list, which isn’t the 53-man roster and would keep him out the first six weeks.

Also, the Cards can make their “final” roster and still have it change quickly. If the Cards chase, say, a cornerback or a linebacker on waivers, someone else will need to go (and there could be changes in the week after, too). UPDATE: I was reminded WR Ed Gant, because he is suspended the first four games, would not count against the roster, so he probably won’t be cut for now at least.

* — potential practice squad

Hamza Abdullah – bubble

Specialists
Jay Feely – in
Ben Graham – in
Mike Leach — in

Tags:

99 Responses to “One guess at the 53”

1. By Danny on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I agree on almost everything. Idk about Will David over Baggs/Brown but we’ll see. Go Cards!

2. By Tyrelle on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

So Komar on the bubble and McBride? He can be 2nd string. Wow. This is kinda funny but interesting.

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

Again, just a guesstimate. I would guess Komar is in.

4. By TucsonTim on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Roberts over Komar…it’s good to be drafted

5. By Blake on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

What about special teams players for the Cards? As of now there seems to be no clear heir apparent to Steve Breaston as a punt returner, so wouldn’t Miller be the more likely man for the job as a veteran over Andre Roberts? Also, Komar’s productivity this preseason has been excellent, overshadowed only by the emergence of Stephen Williams, so where would that put Onrea Jones?

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Blake —

Before Roberts got hurt, he was running as No. 1 punt returner. Komar is more likely to make the team than Jones at this point.

7. By aaaaudio on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Komar I think is in as well. Rookie QB’s both in huh? So Darren, if ya had to choose, take the draft part out…Who do you choose Hall or Skelton? (who do you think has a better upside and is better now?)

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

aaaudio —

Hall is so much more polished given his age and college, it’s almost not fair to compare now. They like both guys.

9. By Scott H on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I know they’re guesses, albeit educated guesses. I asked you just the other day about “surprises”…according to your list, I guess I am surprised to see Reggie Wells, Cody Brown, Gerald Hayes, and Monty Beisel on the bubble. But I know we can’t keep everyone…do you put Hayes on the bubble because of his health?

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Yes. And he could be PUP too.

11. By todd on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

darren,i really hope max komar makes the #5. i think him,and the other max are gonna surprize…

12. By mike b on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    interesting guestimate, I think this is pretty much what I would choose with the exception of Dray, he has made some pretty good plays lately and I think he has the potential to make the cut but I’d agree he would end up on P.S. Also if ML cleans up his act he can stay here but that for me is unlikely, he would most likely be the backup again and demand a trade. But hey there are two sides of football as many players have said.

13. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren how much would we save if Charles Scott dont make the roster?? He is on a rookie deal right?? 272,000??

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Ben Claxton — bubble
    Tom Pestock – out*
    Jonathan Palmer – out*

DL
    Calais Campbell – in
    Darnell Dockett – in
    Bryan Robinson – out (he was here to train I think he may retire if not this year then the next year)
    Gabe Watson – in

CB
    DRC – in
    Greg Toler – in
    Michael Adams – in
    Trumaine McBride – bubble
    Marshay Green – bubble*
    Justin Miller – in (special team value)
    Trevor Ford – out
    A.J. Jefferson – out

S
    Adrian Wilson – in
    Kerry Rhodes – in
    Matt Ware – in
    Rashad Johnson – in
    Hamza Abdullah – bubble

Specialists
    Jay Feely – in
    Ben Graham – in
    Mike Leach — in

Darren feel free to comment if you’d like.

16. By FREED on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

It’d be pretty disappointing for Komar to not make the team. Hes done nothing but make plays. I’m not sure he’s even dropped a pass in the preseason.

17. By Danny on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Personally haven’t seen anything impressive out of McBride but for all I know he’s a beast, and just hasn’t shown much in preseason. (yes, I know it’s preseason.) So Darren, not to bring up the whole QB situation but if we were to cut Leinart how fast do you think, or at all, the Seahawks would be all over him? Whitehurst just straight up isn’t cutting it for them.

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Danny —

A reunion of Leinart and Carroll seems to make sense, but no one really knows what Carroll the NFL coach thinks of Leinart. He’s said good thing lately, but why not — nothing to lose.

19. By Shellie on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Fletcher should stay. He has the talent and was called 3 days prior to the first pre-season game. Give him time

20. By rabidmike on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

So Hayes could go PuP like Schofield, which means two could stay or be picked off waivers to replace with cuts again in six weeks depending what happens before the trade deadline.

21. By Deveau on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Your guess has the Cards sitting really light at CB. Do you feel they would then look to the waiver wire for someone, or just run the season with three CBs?

Kind regards,

Cris

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

They will have at least four CBs. So the issue is the waiver wire.

23. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

If Whisenhunt keeps Lutui over Wells doesn’t that go against everything that Whisenhunt reprents? A guy who has worked his tail off for the whole off-sesaon is cut but a guy who gaines a ton of weight and did nothing but may be slightly better is kept, and then starts? Lutui isn’t coming back after this year anyway because he wants a big deal.

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

You so sure Lutui wouldn’t be back long term?

25. By Brad ONeill on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

hey if you put asteriks your supposed to put something on the bottom that explains what they mean.

47 ins 13 bubbles. this is a guess at the top 60 not the top 53,

come on darren be a man and make an ironclad 53. 🙂

heres my bubble makes based on your bubbles.
    lienart in
    komar in
    wells in
    baggs in
    beisel in
    green in
    mcbride in

too make room for the extra guy i would say bridges is out unfortunately

26. By MikeV on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I counted 47, leaving 6 of the bubble spots “IN”.

13 are marked as “bubble”. So, almost half of the “bubble’s” have a good shot at making it.

I could see it falling out like this, for the bubble folks:
    Leinart – Gone
    Komar: Practice Squad
    Onrea Jones – Gone
    Reggie Wells – Makes it
    Ben Claxton – Gone
    Cody Brown – makes it
    Stevie Baggs – makes it
    Gerald Hayes — PUP
    Pago Togafau — Makes it
    Monty Beisel — Gone
    Trumaine McBride – makes it
    Marshay Green – PS
    Hamza Abdullah – makes it

But what do I know. If were that good, I’d be a scout, not in IT.

27. By Taylor on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Komar should make the roster easy or the Cards are blind

28. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren we are keeping 4cb’s right? its just comes down to what 5’9 corner from mississippi we keep? Marshay Green or Trumaine McBride an if we keep Mcbride do u think Green will make it to the Practice Squad?? Green is all over the ball all the time. He might just get claimed if not on the 53 Go BigRed

29. By MikeG on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren Nice Blog! Good job on the fight for 53
    roster!! It will be interesting to see what Charles Scott does in the game tonight at FB and also it will be interesting to see how the remaining CB’S will play
    tonight as well–as they are fighting for spots. I
    think Cody Brown needs to make some plays tonight???
    Agree????

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

It would be good to see something from Brown.

31. By Brad ONeill on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

oops never mind found the asterisk sorry.

32. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I really hope Skelton makes it, what do you think about him Urban? He looks promising, he is a giant, and his arm is beast, I really wanna see what he turns out to be!

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

RodgersCromartie17 —

We will see.

34. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Cody Brown isn’t an in for sure? If he is gone, that sure makes last year’s draft pretty bad.

I can’t believe they didn’t get more depth at corner and are going to depend on the waiver guys to do that. Same said at the fullback position. They had 3 inexperienced practice squad guys for one spot, and the Cards are supposed to be running the ball more this year? Makes no sense.

35. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

I think Brown will be on the team.

They could have looked for more CBs, but the guys out there aren’t very good. As for FB, they had the guy they wanted. And he blew out his knee last week. Hard to get on them for that.

36. By Ronnie on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

still think they should trade Leinart for a veteran CB

37. By milano heat on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

darren

you put mcbride on the bubble because you think we will get a better cornerback from the upcoming roster cut

38. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Milano —

Mostly. That doesn’t mean Tru won’t make it. But he’s probably the one in danger if they get someone else.

39. By Eric on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Danny, Will Davis is somewhat proven going back to last season. We have seen a flash or two out of Baggs and nothing from Brown so far. I’m confused on your reasoing.

40. By Paul on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I read about the NFL looking into two recent rookie trades with speculation because the players will then be cut and not owed their contract (the cards recent swap of 6th round picks was one of the two). Do you still think the Cards are gonna cut Charles Scott?

41. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Paul —

I think he could be PS, but no, I don’t think he makes the team.

42. By Joe on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

i would lose andre before komar i like his intensity and andre is like roy williams talnted woth drops alot syndrome and maybe its just me or i got there names mixed up but i thought hamza looked way better than rashard Do you think alfonso smith would slip to practice squad little bit i’ve seen of him i liked

43. By Edward on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I sure hope Komar is in. He has done nothing but peform.

44. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren can we put Andre Roberts on Practice Squad?? an maybe sign a Sam Hurd or Kelly Washington?? or we just looking ILB-CB???

45. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

Roberts would get picked up by someone. They won’t take that chance.

46. By firemagoo on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Cody Brown on the bubble is kind of disappointing. Didn’t staff kind of expect him to step up this year?

47. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

firemagoo —

Yes. But since he was hurt all last year, he’s a rookie in many ways.

48. By We'll miss Q on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I certainly hope Max Komar makes this team. He has shown the single most important trait a receiver can have, yet is often the most over looked. The ability to cath the ball. How many time were coaches excited about Jereme Urban’s size, speed, etc. BUt he continually dropped the ball. It DOES NOT MATTER how fast you are, tall you are, how hich you can jump, or the size of your hands it you CAN”T CATCH THE BALL.

If Whiz is TRULY about the best 53, Komar has to make it over Roberts who has shown nothing except the ability to NOT catch the ball.

49. By Mr Mikey on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Is it normal for a team to have 4 QBs? If not then Leinart seems to be out for sure. Too bad because I had high hopes for him. His attitude has gotten in his way. Seems like a QB winning the Heisman usually ends up as a bust in the NFL.

50. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Mr Mikey —

Teams rarely keep 4 QBs.

51. By Bryan on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

So what’s up with Cody Brown?Dude was a 2nd round pick for crying out loud.Was this a horrible horrible pick as it looks like it was?

52. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Bryan —

I think Brown stays and gets more time to prove himself.

53. By Logan Cooper on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

McBride going from starter to bubble is interesting to me. Wouldn’t a player that was recently starting have a better chance at beating out Michael Adams at the nickel spot? The only thing i can guess is that since he is not the starter, Adams is more valuable on special teams than McBride. What is you or the teams reasoning behind this?

54. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

Adams is very important on STs. That’s a huge factor.

55. By Stuart on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Wow I can’t believe this QB situation has put Matt on the bubble status. I hope everything works out for the best for Matt.

From what I’ve seen in training camp and preseason my opinion is Max Komar has outplayed alot of his competition at WR, ecpecially Andrea Roberts, what gave you the conclusion that he’s on the bubble and Roberts is in?

56. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

Because Roberts is a third-round pick. And quite frankly, Komar would probably make it through waivers and on to the practice squad if needed.

57. By jbird on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

why trade for charles scott only to cut him a week later? practice squad?

58. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

jbird —

They needed an RB/FB for this game because of injuries and Calvin was likely going to be cut. That’s why.

59. By CJ on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Danny, are you kidding me that you don’t know about Will Davis over those guys? Do you even watch the Cards?

60. By Ron D on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait to see these guys play tonight! My bad, but when is the finally cut again?

61. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Ron D —

Has to come by Saturday 1 p.m.

62. By LadyCard04 on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I thought I saw a couple of good plays from Dray…do you think practice squad? I believe he is still rebuilding from some sort of injury in college.

63. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard —

64. By Donnie on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I would like to see Komar in,just like the guys drive
    all in all i agree with you thought..
    i can`t wait till this QB controversy is OVER and we have someone to root for..good,bad or ugly

65. By Chad on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I am surprised about Cody Brown. In another post you said there is more expected of him than what he’s producing, but you’d think he would have made enough progress to easily make the team.

I am a little frightened about the CB depth so hopefully we do get a vet.

Has Rashad Johnson recovered from his slow rookie year and is a viable option to play? Is he meeting expectation?

66. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Chad —

I think Rashad has made improvement.

67. By mo on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Hayes on the bubble? And what about your “in” for Walker? I would have thought he was a bubble guy, if nothing else because of the time he’s missed. What’s your reasoning?

68. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Mo —

I think they still think Walker has upside. Then again, he might be practice squad too.

69. By MattAz on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what went into the Cody Brown guess? He’s a second round pick that hasn’t, I think, done enough to warrant giving up on. They kept Branch around – a second rounder as well if I recall – long after he seemed like a bust.

70. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

MattAz —

As I said, I think Brown will end up being in when all is said and done.

71. By mo on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Oops. I went straight to your list and, um, ignored your intro.

72. By kingdiamond on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I know that this is a guesstimate, but I sure wish Komar and Baggs could make the team. Komar should be over hands of stone Roberts. Also, Stevie just looks like he has potential.

73. By Rich on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I like this annual exercise. Good stuff. Darren, your picks are good except I think:

Cody Brown is in
    Baggs is out
    Dray is on the bubble
    Beisel is out

74. By Big Red on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Keep komar, get rid of rober (oops) I mean roberts. Mr. drops the ball.

75. By CZarr on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Enjoy your break from endlessly writing about quarterbacks. At least the next article you write about it will more than likely be the last one, at least in regards to the “controversy”.

What makes a player ineligible for the practice squad? I remember you saying Skelton was not eligible without being released first. I was curious as to why that is.

76. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

CZarr —

Every player has to be released first, so any player on the PS has a chance to be taken by another team. If another team takes the player though, he has to be put on the 53-man roster.

77. By BluePitt on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Drop Reggie Wells to make a spot for Fenica????????????WoW.. Hay you think Whiz will pick up Kordell “Slash” Stewart for Matt or maybe next year for Hall or Skelton? Hummm I can see it! Oh Oh
    I know Terry “Mr. Steel Arm” Bradshaw! He probably has some Gas left in the taink!

78. By chad d. on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, why do people feel the need to post their version of it? You’ve obviously got the insider take on things, anyone else just sees things on the televison once a week. Your work is appreciated though. I’m not about to throw you a seven part question written in the form of six paragraphs.

79. By BluePitt on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Yes I know this is your gestamate Darren but I think you are right on, and I think it sucks! We went to the SB with Wells and he did perty good to. When I was at camp the past couple of years when Wells went at it with Dock He did a good job. When Fenica rumbles with Dock he gets WHOOPED! But he is a EX Steeeler and that counts for well… nutn with us Fans, but must for Whiz!

80. By Peter in Canada on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren this is a great post. Since there are 47 in that leaves room for six bubbles. Will it be 3 on offence 3 on defence? Could u PLEASE give your opinion on who will be the other six .

81. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Peter —

Abdullah, McBride, Cody Brown, Hayes, Komar and either Wells or Claxton.

Again, just a guess.

82. By Bill L on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Good-bye to preason where games don’t count….NOT MUCH!

82%, 0 INTs, 110 Rating…..released.

On to the season and necessary platitudes;

Turnovers No. 1 Predictor of W-L
    Take what they give you don’t force it
    Any drive that ends in a Kick is not a BAD drive

Weather forecast; Years of drought predicted for Valley of the Sun.

83. By TBru on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Some secondary roster questions….

Is their a limit to the number of PUP’s and IR’s a team can keep?
    How many practice squad guys are carried? Do PS players have to be rookies?

84. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

TBru —

You have to be on PUP since the beginning of camp to be there, so Hayes is the only option.
    You get eight PS guys. Basically, a guy cannot have played in, I think, six regular-season games in one season and can’t have more than two vested years in the NFL to qualify. So basically, first- and second-year guys (although Baggs qualifies).

85. By CZarr on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Ah, ok, good to know.

86. By Peter in Canada on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Thanyou very much. You will receive your final mark on Saturday @ 1 p.m.

87. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Peter —

I thought I left that school stuff well behind.

88. By Scott H on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Sorry, one more – after all that has been said and said a hundred times over, can I assume that if you have leinart on the bubble, then you do NOT believe that both Anderson and Leinart will be here on opening day? Stated another way, since you have both Hall and Skelton as “IN”, does THAT mean that you do not believe that both Anderson and Leinart will be here? I’ve been very much of that opinion for the past few weeks at this point…and I’m OK with it.

89. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I am not ruling anything out. But it seems unlikely Leinart is around long term.

90. By Brad ONeill on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

lienart seemed more comfortable on the sideline than i thought he would. who knows maybe he could accept a back up role. hes had it for a couple of years now.

but the argument for him starting seems to be dead which i think is going to make for some very frustrating turn overs but hopefully our defense is up to the challenge.

91. By Crown'em on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

MATT ON THE BUBBLE….THAT’S FUNNY!

Funny going into PreSeason, figured Coach would’ve liked to get Matt as much in sync with his guys as possible instead gave more playing time to his 4th QB on the depth chart the entire preseason than Matt (that sounds like Matt had every right to be angry about not getting opportunities, and other guys had a chance to get a drive going)…goes to show, Matt was never going to be the starter this year…just wish, Whiz was honest about it 6 months ago and traded him before the draft so we could’ve attempted to get a Quality QB like a McNabb or such for the season…

And to all of you comfortable with 2 Rooks as D.A.’s backup, you are CRAZY….don’t worry I’m sure one of the Steelers(ex) QBs are already on their way here for the #2 spot (Batch) most likely…that’s comforting too!

92. By Crown'em on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I would like to see us keep Bryan Robinson,
    hope he doesn’t get cut!

Also,
    Is there no scenario really possible for us to keep Lutui and Wells? I like the depth there. Should keep both and cut somewhere else

93. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Crown ’em —

That is possible. But Wells is making $2.4M, an awful lot to pay a backup OL.

94. By forget on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    From what u know, how close is Hayes to being healthy? Also do u think he will be able to play at the same level he did in past years?

95. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Forget —

He is closer, but I don’t know how close. And as for the second part of the question, I have no idea. He hasn’t done anything since last season.

96. By Kurt on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

How can they go into this season with only Anderson and the rookies? If they think they can find a replacement, that’s one thing. If not, cutting Leinart just to cut him seems so self-destructive for Whiz. We will be one injury or Anderson slump away from a blown season. Why be in that situation if we have the power to prevent it?

97. By Brent on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

You almost got it right.

Beisel is in, we need the depth at LB and he is the most versitle LB. Both Dray and Spach are gone. There will be better TE available in a few days. Komar is in for sure what a huge mistake it would be to lose him. Lienert is out.

98. By jocards on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

All I have to say is that Daryl Washington looks like a player to me! I know it’s only preseason but some guys just always seem to be around the ball and he is one of those guys.

Darren, your thoughts?

99. By Darren Urban on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

jocards —

I’d say it looks like Washington has a bright future.