Hightower’s cups (and the A-Dub video)

Posted by Darren Urban on September 10, 2010 – 9:47 am

So at the Kickoff Luncheon last week, running back Tim Hightower was meeting with the media at one point. I was taking pictures, so I wasn’t there at the beginning. And when I did wander over to see what Hightower might be saying, he was going on and on about the big soda cups for each person that had his likeness on them, and how much he liked the cups. To be honest, I was thinking Hightower was just deadpanning a reaction because someone asked him about it.

Then I went to talk to him yesterday for a story, and lo and behold, sitting in the back of his locker were three huge stacks of the Hightower cups, some 50 or 60 of them. And Hightower, usually a low-key sort, broke into a big smile when talking about it.

“Hey, I’ve got a collectable cup,” Hightower said. “It’s not every day in your career, in your life, that you get a cup with your name on it.”

(To which fellow running back Jason Wright, who understands he will probably never get his own cup, chimed in, “Tell me about it.”)

“That’s an important cup,” Hightower continued. “I used to have a Michael Jordan cup, when I was a kid, that was big stuff. I collected all that sports stuff. I had cards, I had cups. I’m going to enjoy my cup.”

Turns out Hightower’s mother called the Cards to ask if they could have the extras after the Washington game (a single player is featured on both the season ticket stubs and a collectable cup for each of the 10 home games). Hightower thought they’d be sent to his mom, but they were dropped off in his locker.

“I got my own cup man,” Hightower repeated, “and I am going to embrace it.”

— This has nothing to do with cups (although Adrian Wilson will be on the ticket/cup for the home opener against Oakland) but the long awaited video piece on A-Dub and his trip back to North Carolina this offseason is coming. Part one will air on Maximum Cardinals this weekend. Max Cards will be on NBC/Ch. 12 Saturday following the Michigan-Notre Dame football game (somewhere in the range of 3:30 or 4 p.m.) and then again Sunday morning on Fox Sports Arizona at 8 a.m. Part two will air the following weekend (when the Cards face Atlanta) in Maximum Cardinals. The piece will also air during the Ken Whisenhunt show, which is on Ch. 12/NBC at mindnight Saturday following Saturday Night Live.

If you get a chance, check it out.

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Hightower’s cups (and the A-Dub video)”

1. By joe on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

I love hightower it seems like he knows that maybe he wont always be the starter and he’s enjoying it while he can. Whiz is great at stacking players who will do whatever for the team Hightower knows he’s not the explosive runner Wells is and he’s ok with his role in the offense. It reminds me of the relationship with emmit smith and the moose to a degree.

2. By Tinted Facemask Visor on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Hightower’s mom could have went to the game and collected all the used ones in the cup holders after the game. She would probably have a lot. Have you seen those people who do that!!!!!!

3. By TBru on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

I wasn’t sure what this was going to be, based on the title when I clicked it. I am just glad Timmy didn’t follow Beanie’s Blimpie deal with a very disturbing Victoria’s Secret gig.

4. By blake on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

i have always liked Tim Hightower and he is so underrated i always felt he had one of the most important play of the Superbowl year when against the Cowboys early in the third quarter the Cardinals were starting to flounder the lead ( you know same old Cardinals ,at that time ) and it was like 3rd and i think 21 from deep in our own end and Kurt threw a little swing pass to Tim, he caught it and then WILLED his way to that 1st down, to keep the drive going and then of course we all remember the outcome of that GREAT game , one of many that year. So THANKS Tim you DESERVE the CUP , ENJOY IT
    Blake

5. By LadyCard04 on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wonderful to see the pro athlete enjoying something so simple. He has great heart and I’ve always admired his grit as a RB, especially the Viking game when he was blocking with Bridges and kept Jared Allen basically out of the game. An all-around back is a rare jewel and I for one really appreciate his work.

Go Cards!

6. By Brad ONeill on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

that is a great story. i love it when someone who deserves to be recognized truly appreciates the honor.

7. By Wampag on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

hey D what of you live in Philly are they going to post it on website?

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I am working on that. I’d say there is a good chance it’ll be there at some point.

9. By Rich on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Haven’t heard much about the new fullback. How is he working out? Do you expect him to be active Sunday? What’s the guy’s “MO”….is he just a run blocker, can he pass block, can he catch a ball? What did they like about him over Mauia and the guy they traded for?
    Thanks…………..

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

I don’t expect them to throw to him much. He’ll do many of the same things they asked Kreider last year and TSmith the year before that.

11. By Chris B on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

I want one of those! Sweet!

12. By joe67 on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

GOOD FOR HIM! I think that is great he feels that way. What a good feeling that must be, for him and mom. Bet it is kinda like the first time a little kid comes up and asks for your autograph. What a thrill that must be.

13. By LUKE on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Hightower is a player of great character and ability.everyone has been talking bout when beanie will take over starting duties.I think hightower starting is the way to go.both will get reps and tim is gonna do good this year.Just remember what he did in the 08 playoffs to get us to the super bowl!!!

14. By Ambassador on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Blake, that 3rd and long at the cowboys game was sick! Hands down the play of his carreer (so far) is the diving backwards TD to give us the final lead in the NFC Championship game! I got goosebumps just thinking about it again! Go Cards!

15. By Peter in Canada on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Blake- In the context of the season I preferred the 3rd and goal against the eagles when he took the screen pass and crashed over the db at the one yard line. And that was the latest in a long line of conference final losses by the eagles. But i must admit the the cowboy oine was great too.

16. By XiKnight on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

It definitely wasn’t Timmy’s fault we lost to the Saints…Man, I thought that first carry was a good sign.

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

XiKnight —

Didn’t we all …

18. By Tyler Brown on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

I’m soo getting one of those! Hightower is my favorite player! GO three four!

19. By James on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Are the cups able to be purchased?

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

James —

I am afraid you have to attend the home games to do that.

21. By Jeff Gollin on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

As long as you brought up Max Cardinals.

Can you explain to us out-of-towners why FSN-AZ blacks out Max Cards and other Cardinal highlight shows to DirecTV subscribers? Is it a FSN policy thing? Or does the football club have something to do with it?

From a ratings/marketing standpoint, I’m not sure how denying access to Cardinal-related programming to people who live in NJ or Virginia or Ohio benefits FSN or the Cardinal football club.

To the contrary, I’d imagine it hampers efforts by the team to expand its fan base nationally.

What gives?

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

On that topic I don’t know the answer. I would guess that is a Fox/DirectTV thing. I will try to find out.