Wrapping up the first game

Posted by Darren Urban on September 13, 2010 – 2:02 pm

So much ground to cover:

— The status of WR Early Doucet (groin) won’t be known for sure for a couple of days. Yes, Doucet is dinged up yet again, something that’s troubled Doucet in his short career. Doesn’t sound like it matters to coach Ken Whisenhunt, though. “Early is a tough guy and some of the (injuries) have been unfortunate,” Whisenhunt said. “I think it’s pretty obvious, with the two receptions he had, the type of impact he can have. I don’t think we are at a point where we would question (that).”

— RB Beanie Wells (knee) is expected to practice Wednesday, although it will be interesting how that plays out. If there are no setbacks, he should practice.

— The Cards were on turf this past weekend, are scheduled to go to ASU’s Dickey Dome for practice Wednesday and Thursday – so more turf – and then play indoors in Atlanta Sunday. That’s a whole lot of turf to be on in a week’s time.

— Steve Breaston made the play of the game (season?) when he ran down defensive lineman Clifton Ryan to force a fumble. Lost in the postgame fuss was the fact offensive linemen Lyle Sendlein (who recovered the ball), Brandon Keith and Levi Brown had all run after the play, and it paid off.

“For those guys to turn and run, that’s going to serve you well as you go forward as a team,” Whisenhunt said. “Effort, finish hustle. That’s what it is all about.”

Said Sendlein, “It’s something coaches always tell us — finish. We’re going to try and do that.”

— LaRod Stephens-Howling got a handful of touches yesterday with Beanie out, but Whisenhunt admitted he didn’t know how many the Hyphen can get when both Wells and Tim Hightower are healthy. But, after seeing Hyphen’s production (49 yards on seven rushes, 16 yards on three catches) “we can all see why that’s important.”

— Quote of the day from Whiz on Adrian Wilson’s performance: “When he does what he did, it just furthers the legend of who he is.”

— Whisenhunt praised the defense. They were on the field for 81 plays. That’s why Wilson was cramping at the end of the game.

— NT Gabe Watson was inactive because Bryan Robinson and Dan Williams weren’t. “Gabe has played as well as any of those guys in camp,” Whisenhunt said. “Somebody has to sit. It’s a good problem to have.”

— Whiz said rookie punt returner Max Komar “is on the hot seat” for that position. No surprise after Komar muffed a pair of catches (plus fumbled the ball away after a reception). But, Whisenhunt added, “I’m not ready to write him off yet.”

“He doesn’t need to say that,” Komar said. “I realize ball security is the most important thing. I already knew I was on the hot seat coming into today’s meetings. You can’t put the ball on the ground. I am sure coach Whisenhunt will take a look at a couple other guys.”

I’ll have more later on Derek Anderson working with Larry Fitzgerald, and about Hightower’s fumbles.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to “Wrapping up the first game”

1. By SSB on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

When I look at the Cardinals roster, I see lots of toughness from the coach on down. It showed on the field Sunday. We’re in for a great ride!

2. By CaptainDune on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Here’s to hoping for a better week 2. Thank god our defense is what it is though!

3. By Nick Pepe on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

It’s a “W”. A road “W”. A divison “W”. That makes it a good day. This game could have been very different had we not put the ball on the ground 7 times. And 3rd and 21….come on you can’t give that up! That’s Denny Green material.

4. By TBru on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Atlanta only managed 9 points, I think the trained assassins will feast on falcon this week

5. By Bryan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

What is coach Whis gonna do with Hightower?
    Will he still “start” if Beanie is healthy?Or even LSH?

Personally i am sick of THTs fumbles.I know beanie has had his troubles,but in week 1!?!?
    Coach whis benched Leinart after his play,he should treat the rb the same.

6. By XiKnight on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I have to say I’m pretty optimistic. The D was outstanding. And that’s what really is important. Because a great d can cover up the lack of cohesion with the offense. We all need to give the o-line a couple more games to get it together. That goes for DA and Larry also. The D will provide them that opportunity. I don’t know about everyonen else, but I’ve always wanted a team that’s defined by it’s D. I think DD and Adub have taken the top 2 leadership roles of Kurt and Q. They will be the ones to lead us to the playoffs and that is exciting to think about. DEFENSE!!!!!!

7. By stuck in Texas on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Beanie…Take the skirt off and play some football!!!!

8. By Scott H on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I think that just about covers it all. It will be interesting to see how it plays out with Anderson and Fitzgerald going forward IF Anderson doesn’t improve his accuracy. I have to think that this will get better as they get more work together and Fitz is ( hopefully ) working back to full strength. But…I wonder. Fitz has always been such a rather low-key guy. Then again, having been spoiled by Warner’s accuracy these past few years, he hasn’t had much to complain about! I wonder how he reacts if Anderson continues to miss him going forward. AND I hope we never have to find out.

9. By Billy Thomas on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Does that Breaston play remind you of any other play in NFL history? Can anyone say Don Beebe?

10. By Steve on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren: If Anderson continues to struggle with accuracy and incompletions how long do you think Whisenhunt will stay with him this season if the Cards start losing? Thanks

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

How about we wait until the team actually loses a game and it’s on the quarterback before we worry about when to replace him.

12. By OLdude on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Kind of ironic how DA made throws Matt probably couldn’t have and yet he seemed to struggle with Matt’s specialty…the checkdown!

13. By bryce on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

all good comments….but even wit seven fumbles an a crap load of penalty’s we still pulled out a W if we can wrap up those mental mistakes an holding we should produce much better offensivly not to metion two big pieces of the puzzle werent playin sunday early an wells we should be good

14. By Ralph Lopez on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

@ Nick Pepe, I totally agree with you man. Road/Division victories are so crucial. The defense looked amazing! The offense was slow going, but I do think they’ll find a rhythm…its just week and we all know what they’re capable of.

Mr Darren Urban: Just curious of your opinion… Six or seven years ago, do you think we win this game???

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Ralph —

Pre-Whisenhunt? Absolutely not.

Of course, that was during a stretch in which I believe I counted, I had been on exactly 50 Cardinal road trips and they had lost 41 of those games.

16. By itsjustmeagain on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Wow the rookie has some guts or no brain, he messed up yet going to say that the coach sould not have said that. he is going to be a problem get roberts in Komar grow up

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

itsjustme —

You sound like you misinterpreted that. All Max was saying was that Whiz didn’t need to say it because Komar already knew it.

18. By BLOOD RED on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

1st time posting on site,been reading 4 ever!Great info Darren!We r fine n have a great year ahead of us.5 card STUDS N RED CURTAIN rollin hard!Work out couple kinks on offense n whatch out!!!

19. By Big D on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

its funny how much people are on da and he won while the team was fumbling and not running very well and he was getting layed out almost every other play at least thats the way it seamed yet matt was blowing games throwing check downs and picks and your going to want that its crazy. good thing the d stepped up and looked good toler was doing nice not great but good and if drc stops spacing out, out there i think the d holds them for less points. cards are going to be good this year! point blank period

20. By Ralph Lopez on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

We sure have come a long way from those numbers… Weren’t we second behing Detroit in consecutive road losses somewhere during that stretch??

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Ralph —

There was a time when I’d go into a game assuming a loss, regardless of opponent.

22. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know Derek played a decent game and will get better with the timing but that 1 sack he took he looked out of it , is Max ready to step in? I dont want to hex our team but all it takes is one play like what Kolb had vs the Packers.
    All I can say is be ready Max!

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

Well, since he might have to step in, I hope he is ready.

24. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

It seemed to me the Cards played the first game of the season, much like the preseason, fairly vanilla and down to the level of the opposition.
    Whiz and Co. will step it up a notch in Hotlanta and open up the playbook a little more.
    The only unknown parameters are injuries, they’ll take a bite of your scheme bigtime.

25. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Any doubts about Fitz’s knee injury lingering?
    The guy is a workout warrior, but something seems not right.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

HyphenStands —

It’ll take a while: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rehabbing-Anderson-To-Fitz/740fc972-791e-4c7b-bf3d-dde22461337e

27. By Brad ONeill on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

this is what week 1 says to me..

The cardinals fall behind in a hard fought battle with an inferior team on the road have a few things go wrong and come back and win.

the 49ers are locked in a tough battle with an inferior team and they completely fall apart.

this may be the best year yet for the cardinals.

The Derek anderson steve breaston connection is for real.

Steve had a great game because he was doing everything he could every play. in both of the fumbles he had to break off routes and head the opposite direction to catch the opponent. it wasnt like he was in the backfield and chased down those guys. they had a 30 yard headstart on him.

28. By LUKE on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

that game had some sloppy stuff goin on but man oh man were there some positives!once fitz and da get in synch,this could be an interesting season.Another nail biter!!!Go Cards!

29. By itsjustmeagain on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

thanks for shedding light on that, i took it the other way not good. still want to see what roberts has

30. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the link, Darren, I had read the blog before the Fitz injury comment.
    Sorry for beating around the bush on my intention of the question: Is Larry’s injury possibly more serious than he letting on?(and, of course, it’s possible.) Do you have any reason to doubt his knee won’t cost him game time?

31. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Hyphen —

I find it hard to believe Fitz would come back and risk himself. As for it being more serious, well, I don’t doubt that many injuries on this team can fall into that category. They don’t like to let on what’s up.

32. By Eazy E on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Derek hopefully will be the starter the whole year. Like Darren said, Max isn’t close to starting.

33. By BLOOD RED on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

How long is fitz going to be wearing knee brace?I think that is what has his stride off.

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Blood —

I don’t think the brace is an issue.

35. By BluePitt on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Big D,
    That is true, But I do take concern when the ball misses on a 5yd swing pass and on some wide open 15yd slant’s this happened on a couple of plays not just one or two. On the plays I pointed out D.A had tons of time and timing has nothing to do with wide open slants and swing passes. Timing comes in to play on over the shoulder throws, back shoulder, throwing to the break and crossing routs. I find it funny that you say “not running very well” when LSH averaged 7yds a carry and THT averaged 4.2tds a carry. granted the fumbles by THT but they ran fine. I am not saying Matt would have lit it up, but is funny how Matt doesn’t fit our O but we played dink and dunk football or “Matty football”. There were times D.A had all day in the pocket and didn’t take the shot, but threw the check down to our RBs knees with all the time in the world. I hope D.A works out, but watching some browns highlights, our O looked very similar to them with D.A, I pray he proves me stupid.

36. By Ralph Lopez on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

haha ya we used to make some terrible teams look amazing! Judging by training camp, preseason & week 1, what do you think is the teams “weak spot”? (Not necessarily weak, but area that needs improvement) I thought it may have been the number two cornerback, but Toler has looked pretty sharp.

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Ralph —

I have said this since the day Warner retired: This season comes down to consistent QB play.

38. By AlwaysACardsFan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt,
    I love how you quote play schemes to seem like you know what you are talking about! Everytime I get on this webstie you are there saying something negative about OUR team. You need to open your eyes and see that we are not the same old team from years ago. Yes there are some kinks that need to get worked out, but we are still the team to beat in the NFC West. For any team to have as many penalties as we had and still win says something. I don’t know what your name means, but BluePitt sounds like you are not even a real Cards fan. Go Back East!

39. By Tyrelle on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Urban

Bradford seemed to find WRs on 3rd down. It was 3rd and 16 and we gave up a 1st. Is Bill Davis concerned about us on 3rd down? I mean 3rd and 16 and we give up a 1st. That hurt.

It would be nice to have a surprise start 2-0 and come home for the fans.

40. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

The defense gave up 13 points. Let’s not get too picky here.

41. By cardsalltheway on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Vote for Steve Breaston for “GMC Never Say Never week 1 moment”…

42. By Tyrelle on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

lol I’m not being picky but I’m saying. Our real test come this week against a quality offense. We beat them in the 08 playoffs but they lost to Pitts. They have the Saints next week and could end up getting caught slipping looking toward them. If we want to win, our offense have to do better.

43. By Scott J on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’m surpriesd I haven’t heard anyone complain about Whiz abandoning the run in the second half. I kept wondering why they kept throwing it when Anderson was all over the place. They ran the ball really well on that td drive right before half and then they hardly ran it the second half. They were moving it on the ground better than they usually do, especially with The Hyphen. So why not go back to it. It’s not like they were down by two tds or anything.

44. By Dre on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Did anyone see Anquan Boldin last night in that grown man Monday Night Football game. That guy is a warrior, a classic who could played in any era. He went up against the best overall defense from last year and still got his. I Just hate it when one of our players go to a different team and the whole world sings their praises but when they were here they can’t get any respect from management. I saw were someone said Anquan who in ref. of Breaston having a good game….how about pro bowler as a rookie Anquan Boldin thats who.

I also didn’t like comments made about how Boldin couldn’t run down that steeler dude who intercepted a pass and went 99 yards in the super bowl in comparison to Breaston play against the Rams. But I guess that is what some people do when you leave the room, they talk dirty about you. Congrats “Q”…Anquan Boldin.

45. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren can LaRod Stephens-Howling ‘Throw? Maybe he can be are Wildbird??

46. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of running down the Field!! Did u see Bolden on that int!! LOL got crushed gave up on the play for a second. An then A light went off in his head Tackle!! only to get Manhandled by Revis Island .. Hardest 7rec of his career for like 107yrds! U got out of AZ! Hope u like your new city! LOL When u get out played by D.mason your Career is on the Outs.

47. By BluePitt on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

AlwaysACardsFan,
    First of all, I don’t see how my name has a darn thing to do with being a Card fan? How is that even relevant?
    My company’s name is Blue Pitt Kustoms, is that good enough? Or does that exclude me from being a Card Fan?
    Go Back East? HUH Dude you are a fool! I gave the run game prop’s even given the ball control or lack thereof. Please go and ask any player or coach if my “schemes” are sound. I am not happy with our passing game and QB decision’s as of late, not that Matt was “the guy” but there were plenty of other QB’s we could have gone after, even to back up D.A this is a win now league, not a keep 2 rook’s and hope for the best in the future league. You have to insure and I mean INSURE we have quality backups at all positions most of all QB. A untested VS starters Rook QB doesn’t cut it for me, Oh and who is backing up the back up…Yet another untested VS starters Rook QB. By being defending NFC champs the bar is now set higher than it has ever been. My opinion is just that, an opinion form some guy that doesn’t matter in your world, regardless of my football experience.
    (in witch I have plenty) I will state my opinion when I want, if you don’t like it don’t read it! You have proven to me you are.. Well a Fool. I was debating with BigD, I even stated what he said was true, then gave my opinion, trying to start a conversation may be he would state some things that would sway my opinion.. hahaha You could have came with some opinions on football to make me look foolish instead of attacking me personally. Un like you I don’t need Jerseys and stickers to prove my “FAN WORTHINESS”.

Let me ask you this Mr. BIGGEST CARDS FAN? You happy Q is gone? You happy wit the predictable play calling? You happy with a QB missing wide open throws?
    You happy getting rid of Wells? You happy with the trade of Wells for a 90yrold Fenica? Rolle? Dansbutt? I can go on and on, these are the issues as of late. I have waited for over 20yrs and spent thousand’s of dollars on tickets over the years waiting on a winner. And now to see some (in my opinion) possible bad choices by our Coach that scare me. So FU. This blog is not just to tell Darren he is great and praise the Cards for a slim win, it is for discussions on recent topics between fans, question’s and comments on Darren’s story, You had nothing Football to say to me. Here is a little info for you: You don’t have to be happy all of the time to be a true fan, A true fan is in it thick and thin and is not afraid to voice his opinion good or bad. It just so happens lately it is bad to me.

48. By Chris B on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Scott J,
    I agree. What seemed to be working was Hyphen getting the edge and Breaston making the catches. Scoring drive, 5 plays, 5 runs = success! But I also know that they were trying to DA into a rhythm with Fitz. My friends and I just kept saying, “Throw to Breaston! Give to Hyphen!” But it’s easier to be a couch-coach.

49. By Scott H on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Dre –
    Yes, and it was very hard to watch Boldin wearing another uniform. The guy is a player, period, so it’s no surprise that he’s “getting his” for the Ravens. I’ll always love this guy no matter where he is. And my saying that has NOTHING to do with my opinion of Steve Breaston. Steve has become a fine WR in his own right and he became that on a team where he had Fitz AND Boldin ahead of him on the Cardinals depth chart. I look forward to him becoming a great WR now that he’s truly got the opportunity. But Q is just one of those guys that you remain a fan of even after he’s gone.

50. By BluePitt on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Scott H,
    I am with you on that! B-Town became my second the moment they got Q. He provided us some light when all our seasons seeeeemed dark. I love Stevee B as well. And I love how you went in to Steve so people dont atack you for Liking a Rav (Q) hahaha or dissing Steve.

51. By Scott H on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt –

I hear ya. Since Q had to go, I’m kinda glad he went to the AFC. The Ravens are a great spot for him – an team already on the up-swing that is now even better because he is there. I’ll be watching how Boldin and the Ravens are doing all year ( in my spare moments away from the Cardinals, that is ). If the Cardinals can’t win it all this year, then let Q win it with the Ravens.

2. Sep 13, 2010: Beanie expected to practice on Wednesday | Fantasy Demon