Beanie limited, but Early may have hernia

Posted by Darren Urban on September 15, 2010 – 2:42 pm

The good news is that RB Beanie Wells (knee) was doing some work today — limited — but coach Ken Whisenhunt said Wells will be “really tested” Thursday and, assuming no setbacks, Wells will be back Friday. Wells himself said he was excited to get a chance to practice, so in this case, limited optimism.

It’s not as good for WR Early Doucet. Doucet was sent to a specialist today in fear he may have a sports hernia. Whisenhunt said if that’s true, he’ll have surgery and be out “a couple weeks” but the coach stressed Doucet will return. That leaves a lot of pressure on the young receivers Max Komar and Stephen Williams (and Andre Roberts, who will apparently end up active by default).

DE Kenny Iwebema (knee) and S Hamza Abdullah (hamstring) each sat out practice too.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Beanie limited, but Early may have hernia”

1. By Eric on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

We’ll be ok, I have faith in our receiving core. Hopefully Early will be back sooner than later.

2. By Oldude on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

DARREN: Would you mind explaining to me what a “sports hernia” is exactly? I’ve heard the term before but I don’t know how it differs from a “standard” hernia or any other hernia.

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Oldude —

RE: Sports hernia

4. By Ben on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

ED, take some pills and get strong buddy,

PUN intended…

5. By DRC#1FAn on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

We need to sit Fitz as well. Anderson has damn good timing with Breaston, Komar and Williams, with Roberts working in a tthe 4th spot. I am not to sure we should risk Fitz over extending himself. DA will have an outstanding game against a strugglinh Atlanta secondary.

I’m worried about our backs and fumbling. Beanie had the bug last year and Hightower put 2 in the dirt yesterday. I just hope that our team pulls out this second road win. It will do a lot for us down the stratch.

Atlanta is not a must win game, at all. In fact. It really doesn’t matter when you look at the rest of our schedule. We should have at least 10 wins even if we lose this game. However, I believe this game sets the tone for the next 3 weeks. Week 2 is crucial in that your team need to come together and begin to get on a role.

6. By Prashant on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Wow, an operation for a sports hernia will put Early out for at least 8 weeks, due to the rehab involved. Terrible timing for us. How I wish we hadn’t traded Q away, especially after watching him light it up against the Jets. Maybe we should have picked up Houshmanzadeh from the Hawks.

7. By Brooklyn D on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Time for Esteban to really step it up, eh Urb?

8. By Tyrelle on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Good to have our bye week early. We are so depleted.

9. By Lone-Eagle on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

All I have to say is “No Comment”! I am sure Q will have another great game this week. I really hope Williams, Komar and Roberts can step up. Otherwise we had bettered have one heck of a running game. If not, it looks as though the defense will have to save the day again. Difference is, we’re not playing the RAMS this week!!! Good luck Cardinals, and I mean that!!! I am wearing RED!!!

10. By We'll miss Q on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Early has missed 16 games in his 1st 2 years and now most of last week and he will be out a while. This all from a guy who missed a ton of time in college too. He seems to have good RAC skills, but they don’t matter if you are not on the field.

This was my biggest concern with trading Anquan. And yes I know Q missed games with injury, but that was always because he gave 100% and ran OVER and THROUGH guys rather than run out of bounds(Like #11).

With Roberts not being able to catch the ball(or stay healthy), Fitz’s injury(either much more serious than we were led to believe), or lack of time with DA, Komar’s struggles to hang onto the ball, receiver is now a huge question mark.

Only Breaston played well, and he was awesome.

I hope Fitz gets weill in a hurry.

11. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Lets go Beanie take it too the Dirtybirds!!! Early Doucet you could be Great if u could stay on the Field!! Lets go Bigred

12. By CLR on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Komar just needs to concentrate on keeping a hold on the ball, but I have faith he’ll do fine!

13. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Time to step it up rookies, its your opportunity, your in the big leagues now !!!

14. By BLOOD RED on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Beanie’s Baaaaack!Pound the rock!Time for some smash mouth football from Red Birds.That will open up Breston n Williams.100+for Williams.Feathers are gonna fly!!!When the feathers settle people will know who the baddest birds on the planet are.Big Red 2-0 Baby!!

15. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

How would you compare Max Komar to Lance Long? Which guy do you think is better?

This would have been a great opportunity for Jerehme Urban if he was still around.

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

RE: Komar v Long

As much as I liked Lance, Komar seems to be a better receiver to me. And that’s not surprising. Komar was pretty effective in college. Lance was always a project.

17. By Oldude on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Thanks for the link, it was informative and I’ll never have to ask THAT question again……..but I DO have to ask this one: Coach W said he’d be out “a couple of weeks” the article said 8 weeks! Can you clarify?

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Oldude —

RE: Early injury

Whiz said a “couple of weeks.” Fitz said “hopefully after the bye.” That article said eight weeks. My guess is, in a perfect world, it’ll be shorter, but as always, it’ll be wait-and-see. Usually, we don’t get an exact timetable from the coach.

19. By Jones from IL on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Do you think Jason Wright will get some playing time in Atlanta as a running back?

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Jones —

RE: Jason Wright

Probably not if Beanie is able to play.

21. By Dre on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

The new trio is Fitz, Breston and Williams anyway and I hope we have time to see these three take off. Early is like Mr. Glass from unbreakable and we need to pay closer attention to this. I’m one of those guys where it take something special for me to start singing someones praises and I really like this kid Williams.

The game against the Falcon is very important, someone said it wasn’t and we should sit Fitz. Anytime you can stay ahead or put distance between your biggest divisional treat, which is the 49ers, its a big game. And with them (49ers) playing the Saints hopefully we can go up two game with the Raiders waiting in wk 3.

The falcons are the perfect challenge for us right now. They have talent at every position on offense…QB, RB, TE and WR, but we can counter ea. position with our defense. The Falcons gave up a buck 20 (120yds) to Mendenhall from the steelers last week. I think we can take advantage of this weakness with at least 20 carries to Beanie Wells. We put Fitz on the field to keep their best player on him, almost as a decoy, Fitz don’t have to be the focus at this time. Meanwhile, we use a heavy dose of the Wonder Twins (Breaston & Williams) to light it up through the air (we use this method until Fitz is 100%). So the keys will be no interception by DA, 20 plus carries by Beanie Wells, throw the ball to the Wonder Twins and Defense Defense Defense.

22. By Chuck on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

To bad for Early! Stephen Williams should do well,very impressed so far.Almost a Larry Fitz Jr.

23. By Ben on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Has early ever played back to back games???

24. By TucsonTim on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

At some point we just have to move on. Doucet and unfortunately probably Wells, don’t have the durability to play in the NFL.

25. By card62 on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Too early to give up on Doucet and Wells, but definitely we have reason to worry and if we are smart we must have a backup plan for both of them not being able to play in games.

Falcons are not that good on offense so we match up well with them on defense. Falcons defense is good so we must run the ball 30 times and protect Errant Anderson when he goes back to pass and we will be 2 -0.
    Facons run defense is not bad but I think we can bust one or two if we stay with the run.

Fitz must play if he can go. Makes us so much better on offense even if he only catches 3 passes. I think FItz catches at least 6 this week. Every time you step on the field every player takes the chance of being injured as it is part of the game. We need the win 2 – 0 and coming home to play the Raiders.
    Go Cards beat Falcons!

26. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren since Early is Hurt What are the Chances Breaston is moved inside too make room for S.Williams on the outside?? An Give us the Deep Ball??

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

RE: Breaston in the slot

I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened.

2. Sep 15, 2010: Sports Review