QB choice will wait

Posted by Darren Urban on October 4, 2010 – 11:35 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt just had his Monday press conference. He hasn’t yet decided on a quarterback — he joked the Cards were just going to go without one this week — although it sounds like it will be announced in the next couple of days. He’s not going to hold back to try some gamesmanship with the Saints.

“To be quite honest with you, I really don’t think New Orleans is scared with who we play there at quarterback,” Whisenhunt said. “So I don’t think it makes a factor in that. I’m not trying to (wait) from a strategic standpoint. I trying to do it out of fairness to everybody involved and what is best for our team.”

He said it probably “isn’t fair” right now to say he even knows what direction he is going to go, whether it is Max Hall or Derek Anderson. He did say he hasn’t even thought about bringing in another quarterback, nor does he see a need to right now.

I’ll have more later, after the open locker room session (although something tells me it may be sparsely attended by key players given the events of yesterday). We’ll see what the mood is. One thing Whisenhunt did talk to the fans at the end of his presser.

“Our fans have been very supportive and we could certainly use their support this week at the home game,” he said. “I believe we will be a good football team this year. I know I am asking for a little bit of patience, but ultimately, we are going to get it going the right way and I think we are going to be pleased.”

Tags: , ,

104 Responses to “QB choice will wait”

1. By Shane on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Go get COLT BRENNAN!!! He’s working out in Arizona and he needs a team!!

2. By TucsonTim on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

All wildcat wouldn’t be the worst decision made this year

3. By Mrbyte on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren

If we can all see that Robinson isn’t upto NT why can’t the coaches?

and is Davis coming under any heat ..I know Whiz wont fire him now but surely questions are being asked about the defensive performances?/

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Mrbyte —

RE: Questions

Name me one spot on the team that isn’t being questioned right now.

5. By james ledlow on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

in light of the fact that the o line stayed on the bench when the cards were on offense, max hall played waaaayyyyyyy better than anderson.if whiz calls the right plays to burn the mass blitz( quick screens, hit the backs in the flat, quick slants and curls), the defenses will stop bringing the sink and u will see hall shine.those plays have to be put in the game plan. hall is very accurate and can read a defense.he needs a little protection though.the entire left side of the o line needs to get it together!!

6. By Tyrelle on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

WOW @ the comment for the fans.

7. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

From R.M.

-No problem. Go Cards!

8. By mahonri on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Bring in kolb

9. By nrdpmp on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

In Whiz I trust. It’s taxing as a fan, but I can’t imagine when it’s your job. I support this man in any and all of his decisions.

10. By Dan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Just start Max Hall, he can do it.

11. By J on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

ill be there supporting ’em… but we need to start making plays on both sides of the ball… were just not gettin it done.. our special teams are decent but that cant be our only bright spot. i was really surprised that whiz put Hall in the game, didnt think he would throw him in so early but i wasnt against the decision.
    hopefully we make it a good game on sunday.

12. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear Whiz being up-front and open about the QB matter and the disaster that was the Chargers game…“To be quite honest with you, I really don’t think New Orleans is scared with who we play there at quarterback.”

DA is too big of a problem to be fixed. The time spent fixing DA would be better spent developing a young QB with potential to mold into your QB of the future. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

Every new QB, whether he is a rookie or a sophomore is going to have growing pains. The sooner you get them out of the way, the sooner you can focus on something else.

13. By RED SEA on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

WOW what a shocker… whiz loves to beat around the bush, he should just give us all a straight answer.

I wanna see Max get the nod, we all gave D.A. a chance now its time to give max a chance. Its still early in the season so make the move and lets win some games.

Darren-

It seems to me that coach Whiz needs to evaluate his coaches, particuraly Russ Grimm and Billy Davis. Whats your opinion?
    Theres no way our o-line should be putting that much pressure on our QB’s every single time they snap the ball….It would be hard for any QB to succeed like that.
    AND THE DEFENSE WELL I DONT HAVE TO EXPLAIN NOTHING THERE YOU ALREADY KNOW ALL THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE.

14. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Red Sea —

RE: Coaches

What makes you think he isn’t always evaluating them — just like your boss (and mine) are always evaluating us?

15. By brad oneill on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

if they win on sunday, the clouds will go away, the birds will be singing and everything will be right in the world.

if they lose, all assistant coaches should get their resumes in order. if i were them i would not emphasize my time with the cardinals. hopefully they did something impressive before they got here.

16. By Bryan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whis is losing cred by the minute…

17. By Billie on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I do not understand how we ended up this situation. How is it that our top two QBs are Anderson and an un-drafted rookie? How did the coaching staff not foresee this situation and get a real qb.

18. By Logan Cooper on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I have never said we should put Max Hall in ahead of DA, but after 4 games we should put in Max Hall at QB, I honestly think it wouldn’t be any worse than sticking with DA.
    Give him his first start against the saints, hard to ask, but great experience against a great D. Also, it would give him 3 weeks with the first team and only one full starting game and a scrap game under his belt.

That is a great scenario.

Beanie Wells has got to get in the game sooner than he has this year.

What changes, if any, do you see happening on the defensive side?

19. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

RE: Changes

Like I said before, I need to see changes before I believe they are coming.

20. By Secret on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I hate to say it, but if DA doesn’t improve from how he’s doing right now, it MIGHT be a good idea to start Max.

HOWEVER! A few things have to happen before the switch is made:
    1) DA does bad in the saint game.
    2) If the game is a blow out, KEEP DA IN! See if he how he deals with being behind one last time.
    3) If the two above are negative results, take a nice long decision (but not two long) to decide.
    4) Start Max in week 7 against the Seahawks and see how he does.
    If Max just sucks, just stick with DA. If he does sub-par, keep Max in.

So in short, keep DA as your QB this week.

21. By MIKEFLORIO on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Go get Plummer, The snakes triumphant return!!!!!!!

22. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t envy Wiz in this decision but I’m thinking he has to go with Hall.

On defense at the OLB spot why aren’t we seeing more of Will Davis?

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Phoenixraven —

RE: Will Davis

At this point, they don’t see him as an upgrade.

24. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Just seemed like he was beginning to get wicked before his injury last year. He has to have a step on Porter after what he showed Sunday…

25. By Gilbert Card on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, always enjoy your blog, keep up the good work. I know the QB situation is complicated, although I am leaning to give Max Hall a chance at this point. I do not think DA is going to improve much, he is who he is. And yet, the main problem I see for whoever jumps in the field as a QB is the total absence of protection from the Offensive Line. You could have Payton Manning out there but with the OL playing the way it is, it would make no difference, he would miss throws and get sacked again and again.

26. By Casey on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

RE: Changes to the Starting Line-up

Whiz mentioned during his interview this morning with Doug & Wolf that he will motivate his team by sitting guys who aren’t preparing and playing up to expectations. He seemed to go so far as to suggest that he’d rather go to battle with guys who perhaps have lesser perceived talent, but who bring everything they have on every play (to his credit, he sort of caught himself and went another direction when he realized what he was setting himself up for).

Anyway, the point is, he is saying that regardless of “status,” the best players are going to play and he won’t be afraid to make changes.

What positions do you see as likely opportunities for change? (Again, Whiz noted that every position is an opend competition).

With 53-man rosters, obviously there isn’t a whole lot that can be done, but with those limitations withstanding, I would consider the following:

Defense:

DE’s: Campbell/Dockett (no changes, although these 2 aren’t playing like any of us expected)
    NT: Williams (Watson as backup with Robinson inactive)

W LB: Adrian Wilson (he’s playing so close to the line anyway and he’s a liability in coverage as a safety)
    S LB: Will Davis (Porter especially is a huge disappointment and Haggans is not far behind)
    M LB’s: Lenon, Washington (no changes)

CB’s: DRC, Toler (no changes)
    S: Rhodes (free), Ware (strong)

Offense:

LT: Brown (no change, although again, this guy is falling far short of the #5 pick in the draft overall)
    LG: Hadnot (Faneca is done)
    C: Sendlein (no change)
    RG: Lutui (no change)
    RT: Bridges (Keith is just too much of a liability right now)

WR’s: Fitz, Williams (until Breaston is back)
    RB: Beanie (need to get this guy involved early and often to try to consume clock and keep defense off the field)

TE’s: Patrick, Spach (Beanie prefers not to run behind a FB and our tackles need all the help they can get on the edges with the pass rush- especially against the Saints)

QB: Hall (I honestly don’t think it matters between Anderson and Hall if the line can’t protect better, if we can’t develop a dominant running game with Beanie, and if the Defense can’t keep opposing teams under 40).

Thoughts?

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Changes

I think you can make a case for some of those moves. Do I think they will happen? I need to see it to believe it. Wilson is never going to be a full-time LB. They will stick to their sub-packages with three S (with Ware) but never as a base.

28. By Stuart on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Heck I’m going to say it cause I’ve been supportive of DA this entire time. Coah suck up your pride admit you made a mistake by going with DA over Lienart, go to the Houston Texans before the deadline and beg Matt Lienart to come back to this team and give us the division win. Max Hall I have confiedence in I think he deserves the starting job over DA but unless our D removes head from butt and starts playing like a deffence with all the talent we have should, we need a QB that is a Hiesman trophy winner, a QB that knows our offence, and a QB that studied behind a Hall of Fame QB for almost 3 seasons in thier to get us the BIG W. ( heck look at what Steve Young, stuidied behind Joe Montana, and Aaron Rogers, studied behind Brett Farve have done and did for thier teams with that same kind of resume)

29. By tom manoogian on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

maybe we go with beanie and tim,just take direct snap,michigan style since our o line is suppose to be built to run the ball.i don’t care who is running this offense,our d gives up more points and yards than most arena league teams.they don’t have a clue,they just run around,no gap support,no tackling,just pitiful.they should line up at mr bidwell’s office to tell him to keep this week’s check.if i worked my job the way the d worked there’s,i couldn’t take my check,if i even had a job.whiz has been good for the cards,but he dropped the ball bad with qb situation.if he didn’t want matt,he should have looked for other help,derek just doesn’t have it.last,how does a huge man like gates run around and be that wide open.a dub is a great card,but he couldn’t cover our tight ends let alone one that can play.have all the closed door meetings players want but if this the result,kinda useless.tied for first and we are the worst of the three,and don’t think the 49ers won’t sweep us again.

30. By Eric Y on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I think we have to let Max do his thing. DA is a “known commodity.” Max Hall needs a start. If he looks OK, he’ll have a solid portion of time to get it going with the ones. We could come out of the bye with a decent rookie QB. I know I’m simply reiterating what our guys at 620 have been saying, but the QB issue isn’t our biggest. This D needs to be what we thought they were! They need to step it up. It seems like we’re playing passively and lacking the confident edge we’ve had in big games of the past.

All said, as a unit we are immature. We are not looking like confident professionals. We came out with a very solid drive. When a THT’s TD was called back it seemed we let it get us down and we NEVER came back from that negative mentality.

EY

31. By Jedihillis on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I am frustrated as a fan, but I am not going to give up on this team. Even if we have a losing season and the team doesn’t make the playoffs, I believe it’s important for a city to support it’s team through the good times and bad.

Now, if it’s bad again next year and the year after, I can see attendance dropping and whatnot. But we’ve been very fortunate here to have some success under Coach Wiz. I still believe he is the man. Not sure about all his staff (Bill Davis) but I believe he will do what he can to make the necessary changes.

32. By Jzoully on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

In my opinion Ken Whiz is the best coach in football these days, and I really support Ken in what ever decision he makes at the quarterback. My question is how do you think Derek will react IF he is put on the bench. Thats saying if Max won the job.

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: DA react

I think Derek will react professionally no matter what happens. He has been through this scenario before.

34. By Jzoully on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Colt Brennan is in free agency for a reason.

35. By Bonehead on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Saints tickets sell well. I don’t think there will be a whole lot of Cardinals fans at this one. I’m selling mine to Saints fans. And, I think the Cardinals can say “adios” to the sellout streak.

36. By Barry on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

At this point…I think Max Hall should be given a second chance. The bigger problems are there issues with the OL and the D. We can’t protect our QB…we can’t stop the offense from running all over us..What happened to the confident defense? Lots of tough games ahead!

37. By redseafan85 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

shane your crazy if they went another direction at qb they would not go with another unproven qb! Darren-dont you agree

38. By Ditship on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Funny about the Saints not fearing our QB decision.. I was thinking the exact same thing. I just hope the Cards can put together a decent showing this weekend(losing by less than 14 points). If they kill us at home we’ll be reliving the SDS days of empty stadiums and blacked out games. Sad.. I imagine Hall will get the nod just because Anderson has lost all support from the fan base and maybe Hall can light a fire under the team. I’m not expecting much though. Hopefully he can shock us all.

39. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

May as well give it to Max, Derek had his chance and blew it, Look at Bradford he has some growing pains but doing okay now.
    One commentator mentioned how bad we became in just a couple of years but the other commentator defended the cards by saying, take away Eli Manning from the colts and see how good they would be?
    GO CARDS!

40. By Earl Mook on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

please get back Warner for rest of year and draft qb for next year. Jeff Garcia is available

41. By Blair on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like whiz smells a blackout coming… He might be whisenhunt the wizard but hes not getting me to beleive this D is just going to go from bottom five to even middle of the pack. Maybe he will cast a spell on them.

42. By MikeG on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I still think he will go with Anderson against the Saints. Everyone needs to step up their game aginst New Orleans. We need to hold the fort until Breaston and Doucet return. Saints have shown a little weekness against the run. We need to run the ball this week. More concerning to me is the defense–everyone must step up. No reason to panic, this division is still for the taking–it is not very strong. I’m just really surprised we are struggling so much against the run!! That MUST be fixed. That to me has been the biggest disappointment–
    Run Defense?? –I thought we would struggle offensively to this point. What has been you number one disappointment to this point???

43. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Disappointment

I did think the defense would be much better.

44. By LadyCard04 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

It wouldn’t have mattered who played qb for us yesterday. Even with the terrible protection, our passing game was abysmal. Anyone behind our line would have been in big trouble. The defense was so disjointed that it defies description.

Yesterday was the third time this early in the season we have had an early touchdown called back for a penalty. Unbelieveable as well as unacceptable. It has to be demoralizing to finally score and then in a blink it’s gone. Why try?

The whole team played like a group of pick up players just out for a Sunday afternoon’s exercise not like a group of highly paid professionals. They should all be ashamed as well as their highly paid coaches.

45. By bryce on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

we could go 0-16 this year An i would still be a loyal fan….as long as they came out an played with heart every game but wat happen yestday was horrible we never fought back if ur gonna go down go down swinging damn it!!!!

46. By Mrbyte on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Kicker 🙂

47. By RichS on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The way the defense has played, it doesn’t much matter who the QB is. Like Whiz said though, the Saints aren’t really worried about who the QB is, the tipped ball drill works all the same for both QBs.

48. By John on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The coach is asking the fans for home town support? How about doing something worth while of support? He’ll do the same losing combination again.. DA will start and so will Hightower.

49. By bobbyes on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The Cards sure do miss Kurt Warner and his pinpoint accuracy. If they’re smart, they will give Colt Brennan a shot. They will find out that Brennan is Kurt Warner 2.0.

50. By RED SEA on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I Just wanna put a good word in for Casey as an assistant coach… i like the way you think.

51. By Peter in Canada on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

There is one positive thing to come from this QB debacle and the struggles of the team. It should automatically put Kurt Warner in the hall of fame because he took basically the same group to one Super Bowl and two division championships. I rest my case.

52. By Rudy Vasquez on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I support my coaches decision, no matter what he decides.

53. By Former Steeler Fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

If you answered my question on an earlier blog, I missed it.

Is there another NFL team that has an UFA as the back-up QB (or one that has started or will be a starter)?

54. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Former Steeler —

RE: UFA QBs

I’d have to research that.

55. By Jon L on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

This game could have gone a lot different had that TD stood on the first drive. Once the charges built up a little lead they knew what was coming and it made the game alot more lopsided than it should have been. I personally think that Hall is the better QB but it is still too early to write off DA(especially considering that he is finally hitting Fitz) Why is everyone asking for beanie to start? I have watched every game and Hightower is definitely the back I feel should be starting.

56. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: Beanie

Because people have their opinion the other way. I am not surprised some want Beanie to start, being a first round pick and one with noticeable talent.

57. By Joe on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Former Steeler Fan-
    Undrafted Starting QBs:
    Matt Moore, Panthers;
    Jake Delhomme, Browns
    Tony Romo, Cowboys

Not sure about all the back ups.

58. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Backups

Not sure he was asking about undrafted guys. I was assuming he was talking about guys who will be free agents at the end of the year.

59. By ron werner on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

go get leinart back b4 its too late coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

60. By ross on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

People clamoring for beanie haven’t been reading your blogs. For one, it doesn’t matter who starts, beanie will be given more carries if he gets rolling. Secondly, timmy is an explosive player in his own right…timmy isn’t the problem, lack of commitment to be a running team is. Tim and beanie are the only thing that could save the offense now.

61. By RED BIRD 66 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Anderson should be cut, it doesn’t matter what the cap hit or bonus he has. This gut is a LOSER and thats not going to change. How is this clown in the NFL anyways. I would rather they play Dan Williams at QB and dump this LOSER ASAP. Whiz needs to plug the plup and send him packing before his brown cloud permanently stains the Cards.

62. By jocards on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I agree that having a TD called back on a questionable call (again!) didn’t help the team’s chances on Sunday. But really, they got destroyed and even if that TD stands they get destroyed. The defense didn’t make a meaningful stop the entire game (save the Fum/return). I also don’t see where everybody gets their confidence in Max Hall from. He is an undrafted F/A rookie and has never done anything. Preseason means very little, in reality we have no idea if this guy can play at all. Considering how bad Anderson has been I’d be the first person to say play the rookie if we were talking about Sam Bradford or even Jimmy Clausen but Max Hall?!?!? Every NFL team passed on drafting this guy and folks want him to be our starter?!? That flushing sound you hear just might be our season going down the tubes!

63. By Andy Valdez on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Please Come Back Kurt!!!!

64. By CaliforniaDon on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

eeiny meeiny meiney moe…catch a QB working out somewhere….

Any free-agent QB choice will be better than what the Cardinals have with experience, even Culpepper in the Canadian League… amazing to think that our production went down last year with Haley leaving for the Chiefs and Wiz having many of Dennis Green’s players in the Superbowl.

This is Wiz’s team and look at the Chaos that has ensued after two seasons of Western Division Championships. If we win another game in conference we will be lucky!

Back to mediocracy …. or worse

Maybe Boldin and Dansby were right to get the heck out of Dodge…err..sorry Phoenix….

65. By TBru on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

take away Eli Manning from the colts and see how good they would be?

Did I miss a trade?

66. By CrazyLady25 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s the Offensive Line that stinks!

Worse than last year, if you can believe it.

Right now is not the time to pull DA. Instead we should rally around him.

And the D-Coordinator should be fired.

67. By TBru on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Direct snap to Hightower, who can run, or pitch it to Wells

68. By jocards on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

One thing is certain our defense has had no answers. Their level of play was laughable against both Atlanta and San Diego and to be honest it wasn’t very good against the Rams or the Raiders either. I don’t see how Davis can keep his job. I mean you can’t fire all the players and his defense has been black topped. They don’t look like they have a clue out there. However there is plenty of blame to go around. The OL has terrible in pass protection and the QB play has been horrible too.

69. By Rody on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The comments stating that if the cards loose again this week the coaches should get their resumes in order is ridiculous. How about all the Pro Bowl talent getting wooped up and down the field on both sides of the ball. I personally don’t think it’s the coaches. Our players are not performing. Our O line lines up and misses assignments. double block one and not even look at the other lining up right in front of them. Our defense was supposed to be better but there is no hustle and not everyone is flying to the ball. You can only lead a horse to water some many times its not your fault if he doesn’t drink it. I can understand why Wiz doesn’t really know what to say. I was there at camp and this is not the same team. There is no drive. And stop with the hall is the savior….maybe one day but it doesn’t matter who is in at qb there is no time to throw the ball and the defense has not been stoping teams and giving up huge numbers so of course we are gonna pass but to bad we cant pass block. I hope this team gets pissed and starts working it out.

70. By bish- illinois on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

first off i called believe DA is getting this much attention the guy is just flat out brutal, put that dude on the first bus back to cleveland BUT lets face it the O line is pathetic it wouldnt matter if kurt put up his dancing shoes or not he wouldnt make it throuh the year at this point, so lets just give up on that theory, 2nd someone tell oh billyboy that 3-4 defense is not working, theres is hands down zero pressure being put on the qaurterback. i mean goodlord rivers yesterday could of snapped the ball ,sat down, and freakin shotguned a beer before he was even touched, man how depressing is this crap, someone has got to step up change this and not let it go back in the direction of were it used to be, after what a great freakin ride we have been on the last couple of years its hard for me to think. our season lies in the hands of DA and max hall WOW, yo whiz call garcia or culpepper, at this point we have nothing to lose

71. By Donnie on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Sad to see so many dumping on whiz,yeah he has so far made a mess of the QB handling ,but up until now he has done nothing but good in AZ…i`ll give him a little longer than 4 games(2 we won) before i throw him out with the buddy ball…jeez

72. By georgiebird on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Of all the criticism of the Cardinals, the one I object to the most is the OL & Russ Grimm.
    How can the fans judge an OL when the team is consistently behind and has a stationary QB.
    Last night the Giants OL looked horrible but their defense kept them in the game so they could still both run and pass. Late in the game the Giants OL got it right and beat a good Bear defense by scoring late.
    The Cardinal defense has been bad for 50 years-I’ve seen it all. In that time, only one Cardinal front seven defender has required the mandatory double team and sometime triple team and that was Eric Swann for about a year + in the 80’s. When an offense doesn’t have to worry about allocating two or three players to a defender, the offense will win about every time and only lose if they beat themselves. DD comes close but he’s not there.
    For the record, Lawrence Taylor set his records being double and triple teamed on EVERY play.

73. By shep on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

ok…i was steaming when whisenhunt handled leinert the way he did. i’m sure it made him feel like a big shot c.e.o exerting his control….now i am back after a few weeks to say eat some crow coach. one commenter hit it right…no todd haley, poor g.m. management…he lets cornerstones go like boldin, dansby and leinert who should have been groomed in the succession plan is thrown under the bus,and has to find a new team with a week to go before the first game. YOUR CREDIBILITY AS A LEADER IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES Coach Whiz and Rod Graves regardless of your 1-3 record. Oh yes the gift of the raiders shanking a field goal that saved your behind from 1-3. So you picked it Coach…good luck with Max Hall the second coming of peyton manning and as for anderson, at least he’s a good sport now that wisenhunt turns on his flavor of the month. I hope leinert comes back with a good team and rams it down this Coaches throat

74. By cardsalltheway on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I know of the ridiculous comparisons between Max Hall and Drew Brees but here is the difference…Brees has a thick neck and Hall has a skinny one. If I were Hall I’d be worried my neck would get snapped in one way or another. I think it’s only a matter of time before Skelton gets in the game. So far, Whiz-in-consistent-hunt has gone through two QB’s(assuming Max Hall starts), after Hall it will be three. Hopefully it will end when Skelton gets the chance he never should’ve lost after the 1st preseason game, then remains as the 1st string QB/in front of everyone on the depth chart.
    What has been done to get DA to improve on completing the screen pass and his completion percentage? Since it seems NOTHING, I’d suggest to tighten up his passes DA should wear smaller shoes/jock strap, or maybe his shoes should be tied tighter — Equipment check! Those are physical and/or phsycological approaches, but probably more than what DA or the coaching staff has done.

75. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Cardsalltheway —

RE: Your comments

You have every right to criticize. But like I have told others, Whisenhunt has earned the right to have his name spelled correctly. If you don’t want to adhere to that, that’s your choice. But I won’t be posting your comments going forward.

76. By Steve in NC on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

As a first year Cards bandwagoner I have to admit that I’m a bit shocked at what I’ve seen so far, especially with the level of talent that is on this team. I hate to say this but the way the Cards are playing right now reminds me of the 08/09 Browns. The offense has no identity, the O-line is nonexistent, the running game is under utilized, the defense has yet to show up, there’s a lack of discipline that is evident by the number stupid penalties, especially the ones that negate a td, and a coaching staff that hasn’t quit figured out how to fix it. As far as DA goes, I know folks are completely down on him and I agree he deserves some of the crap he’s getting but lets put things in perspective. He is what he is, asking or thinking DA will ever be much more than a 56% passer is like thinking a politician will stop lying, not gonna happen. In 07 he led his team to 10 wins in spite of a defense that couldn’t stop a pee wee team. What made him successful was the fact that he had one of the leagues best O-lines protecting him and a solid 1300 yard rusher. In 08/09 he had what I mentioned at the beginning of this rant and less including a coaching staff who made it clear they had no faith in him, and a fan base and media that was in love with the other unproven hometown guy. Unfortunately DA is only as good as his supporting cast…almost. The problems this team is experiencing right now goes way beyond the qb and it’s up to the coach to figure out whats wrong and how to fix it.
    From where I’m sitting I have to believe that The Whiz can and will make things right. The Browns have been and always will be my very most favorite team but since I’ve decided to adopt the Cards as my NFC team of choice I have no other alternative but to say GO CARDS!!!

77. By Scott H on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Really, what choice is there to make? We’ve already played 4 games, which is one quarter of the season. Hard to believe, but true. Four games isn’t enough to win you a division or to lose one, but it sure as hell has been long enough to prove that Derek Anderson is just awful and we are going nowhere with this guy. Actually, he has turned out to be quite a magician in that he has made Larry Fitzgerald disappear, so I’ll give him credit for that. Our season will soon follow if we give him enough games. I say enough. He’s already a REALLY bad decision. Let’s not compound the mistake. Let’s put an end to this misery and move on. We’ve got two young QB’s, let’s see what they can do NOW. Maybe we’ve got something special and don’t know it yet. ANYTHING would be better than more DA.

78. By Alex on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

What are the odds of Kolb taking the starting job again? And Vick being dropped by the Eagles because of his injury? If that happens do you think that the Cardinals would be at the bit to take Vick in?

79. By Arizona 808 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The main problem is the defense. Since the playoffs they allowed too much points and yards the past six games. Bill Davis calls alot of bad plays at the wrong time. Obviiously our D cant cover TE’s and screens. It has been a weakness too long. We have a very poor pass defense right now. No pressure given most of the time. Bill Davis should get fired. I put the problem on him. I knew before the game that the Cardinals will lose by 30 and even bragged about it as a Cards fan that this would happen. I even activated the San Deigo defense, GAtes, Rivers, and Mathews on my fantasy team.
    As for the QB situation, Its time to cut Anderson and trade a pick for a QB (MArk Bulger) or sign a free agent like Colt Brennan or Jeff GArcia.
    Just like Leinart, Anderson had his chance and blew it. What a waste of time and money. If the Bidwells want to waste money like that, heck I’ll try out. Pay me the money and I can do the same as well.

80. By Eazy E on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

VICK!!!!

81. By Jeff on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

How about using Tim Hightower as a fullback with Beanie at tailback? Marcus Allen moved over for Bo Jackson back in the day. Tim can pick up the blitz from there and it gives more options to throw to the backs or run misdirection. I think Tim is stout enough to pull it off.

82. By Big Red on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The reason Colt is a FA is cause nobody wants him. John Skelton is the answer, give the guy a chance. PERIOD!

83. By alex u on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Honestly, is it just me or is our pash rush worse then last year? And i kind of want DA to start again ’cause obviously they saw SOMETHING in TC and Pre-Season from him they liked. Btw Stevie Baggs back in the CFL, 2 games played, 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 Defensive TD, 4.5 tackles. Yep.

84. By JD on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

This is not just a player issue… Problems like this start from the top. If you watch carefully you will see a disturbing trend of indecision on Coach Whiz. The game planning is pathetic on both sides of the ball. Everyone knows as soon as they get into trouble they break from any game plan and pass it to defeat(19 carries)ridiculous. The plays are old and predictable. The defense is just as predictable no viable blitz packages. Its has been indecision all summer long from Lienart, Anderson, to Beanie. Who removes a runner when he is moving the ball and takes him out of a rhythm every other play. Who couldn’t see Anderson wasn’t the answer, but personalities got in the way. If whiz would have support his QB from the start maybe he would have been excepted and had a better attitude. Again, We all know Anderson needs to go, and I’m sure whiz knows it as well, but he can’t even make a clear decision that has been coming for 5 weeks. It just maybe the brains that really took us to the super bowl is in Kansas City!

85. By JD on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The issue of Max Hall being UFA. If Max was 6’4″ and 240 lbs he would have gone very high in the draft. Starting a rookie is worked pretty well for the Jets, Patriots, and Rams, and Max I guarantee had a better college record then all of them. Did anybody watch the rookie Woodhead tonight 5’7″ 180lbs that came from a division II school…Get my point! UFA is meaningless after you make it on a team, they just dumped one of the best first round QB statistically to come out of college. They have nothing to loose with going to Max, other then loosing more games with Anderson.

86. By JD on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

My advise for Coach Whiz..Stop looking weak and lost in your press conferences. Like a QB a leader of men takes the information process it quickly and makes a decisive decision, and doesn’t flounder over it. The team appears to mimic the coach and coaching staffs behavior of late.. It’s typical human behavior.

87. By Patrick on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Alright enough with the crazy talk Cardinals fans, just listen to the way you morons sound. Seriously what kind of fans want there team to lose in order to prove a point? This is why our fan base is such a laughing stock in the NFL. Do you guys really want to prove you love this team? Quit being such a debbiedowner and start supporting this team. Let’s get one thing straight Ken Whisenhunt is an offensive genius, and he knows what the hell he’s doing. He took us to a Super Bowl, only Cardinals coach to ever do that. Do you really think we are going to get another coach of his caliber to do what he has done here in the desert??? If we get rid of him, then who are we going to get to replace him??? Get REAL!!! Cardinals are looking awful right now, but we still got to give this team some time to develope both of there rookie QBs. Lets face it Max Hall can’t be blamed for the bad situation he was put into against the Chargers. He was basically thrown into the fire, and it was disaterous. The one thing I will say about that game is that Max Hall showed alot of moxy, eventhough the OL got him sacked all those times. I think next week is going to be a HUGE suprise for us. Don’t count this team out just yet there is still lots of football to be played.

88. By D ryans on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I told you that we would see Max “Toro” Hall by week 4. Now is he ready to play in the NFL? He wasn’t spectacular but we were also already down 28-7 with the Chargers already in kill mode. You should stand corrected.

89. By clssylssy on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    Coach is obviously accustomed to Steeler level loyalty from the fans and has been lulled into a false sense of security the past few years. The reality of the fact is most people in Phoenix that could previously afford to “show up and support the team” now are without jobs, homes, and are trying to keep their families fed. While I know this change in fan turnout could be interpreted as loss of interest, I don’t believe that to be the case, and would hope someone could give the players and coaches the 411 on the realities of life in Phoneix when you’re not in their tax bracket. I personally believe that this game could be winnable if players and coaches would get down to the task at hand and quit snivelling. The Saints don’t expect us to even show up, have already put a W on their schedules and so lets come back and show them the meaning of home field advantage…let’s see the Red Sea wash over the WhoDat Nation.
    Not a member of the fair weather contingency. GO CARDS… WHO LUVS YA BABY!

90. By Jeff Gollin on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Wiz has an engineering background and would be well-advised to use it – to go back to the drawing board, figure out what he’s got (& what he doesn’t), reset his roster/depth chart and plan forward from there.

One of the more discouraging aspects of the SD loss was the sense that Wiz and his coaches were fishing for answers, grasping at straws and at a loss as to what to do to get back on course.

By contrast, I watched a few NFL teams (& most notably an Oregon Ducks team) fall behind badly early in games only to regroup, figure out some answers and eventually win those games (or at least come close).

Right now, there’s no structure/no plan. (Of course it doesn’t help that we don’t have a seasoned QB behind our former starter).Wiz must set a new course (whatever he determines this to be) and then remain consistent with it for the duration. It doesn’t matter whether it’s smashmouth, 4 WR’s, Wildcat, 3-4, Tampa-Cover 2 or whatever. Just stick with it, build on it and give the players the chance to develop within it.

91. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: Plan

But that’s where you are wrong. Whiz all along never said he was changing the game plan. We all assumed it would be more smashmouth. The offense is running pretty much the same way it was the last few years. Anderson just isn’t completing the same passes. You can argue that it should have changed more, but the idea there was no plan is simply false.

Defensively, the Cards are doing the same things they were doing last year, when — and I know they got humbled in the playoffs — they had the most sacks on this team in 20 years and were a middle of the pack ranking (and not at the bottom).

92. By D ryans on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Kudos to Whiz for not riding the DA train all the way into the ground. This season is still new and i’m excited with Hall going forward. Let’s see what he can do with a start, score 0-0. Don’t give up yet fellow Arizona fans, let’s get loud and proud we have the defending NFL champs this week let them hear it. It’s time to put away your black jerseys and let the RED SEA Rise once again. I have this team going 10-6 losing to ATL, San Diego, and NO, 2-3 at the Bye, it a long season we will make the playoffs, settle down.

93. By tlow on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Patrick……well said! It’s not a one man show people, the OL and D needs to get it together as well! And bonehead, need I say more? Nothing like a fair weather fan! I am glad you are selling your tickets…..the Cards don’t need you there!

94. By John M on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I wish people would stop harping on the fact that Max Hall is an undrafted Free Agent. People forget that MANY QB’s would be undrafted free agents had not the one team that selected them grabbed them when they did. I mean for crying out loud.. the QB that was selected before Tom Brady was Spurgeon Wynn.

The difference between a 5th-7th round QB and one that is an UFA is extremely negligible. Had Brady not been selected by the Patriots, there was a very good chance he would have been a UFA during his draft.

If Max Hall was 6’3 – 220, somebody would have surely selected him in the 5th-7th rounds.. The fact is that he earned a right on the team not because of his draft status, but because of his ability. He may or may not be a great NFL QB, but so far, he’s earned the right to be here with his play in practice.

Darren, aside from the Obvious, how sour is the mood in the Cardinals locker room ? I know the fans are bitter.. but fans are fans, only about 1 in 10000 actually has a clue as to how the game actually works.

95. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

John M —

RE: Mood

I think it’s what you’d expect. They know they haven’t played well. But they aren’t tossing it in for the season.

96. By Kaleb on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

DARREN-

Just as i predicted here. Iam glad to see whisenhunt showing some frustration, and clearly not putting up with Derek Anderson’s poorformance (<– nice huh?). But anyways that game was easier to watch then the raiders game. max hall just clearly sees the field so much better than DA and thats what we need with fast recievers that can break coverage. Max has some jitters he looked a little nervous.. and he stil completed most of his passes threw no pics and got the team in FG position when we were alreadY demoralized from DA's blunder. I am pretty sure max will start this game, once again, AS I SAID BEFORE. the chargers game will be an eye opener and whttaya know. can i get a job Darren, maybe the army isnt for me. HAHA

97. By Chris B on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I think the whole season really comes down to 2 questions:

1) Can we win game with DA? In St Luis we won because of defense. Against the Raiders it was sheer luck. We aren’t that lucky to get those all season.

2) Is DA the future of this team?

If both are ‘no’ then what do we really have to lose by putting Hall in?

Of course, if the defense can’t stop anyone then the QB controversy is mute. Warner put up the points, making the defense’s job just to have one or two stops a game.

Regardless, the offense fuels the defense. If the D sees the offense making plays, they step up. When the pressure is on, the D performs. But in a 41-7 rout, why risk getting hurt?

98. By David C. on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Is there any chatter at all about the Cardinals possibly bringing in another QB through free agency or by trade?

99. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

David C —

RE: New QB

Whisenhunt said Monday that isn’t being considered.

100. By BigREDrevenge on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

John M

1. there are WAY more UFA QB that dont make it in this leauge than do. 99.9 percent of the time there is a reason they are undrafted. You cant serisouly be comparing max hall to tom brady at this point? oh wait I forgot your 1 in 10000 fans that knows what hes talking about

101. By John W. on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall.

102. By Yoshi on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I love the Arizona Cardinals, I hate most all of you for overreacting this bad. We’re not very good right now, JUST DEAL. Not one of you know enough about football to actually know what Whiz should do, just support the team throughout it’s tough time.

103. By Michelle on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey bonehead… I think it is sad that your so negative against our team. You should stand by the Cards win or lose! I agree with tlow we dont need you there!
    GOOO CARDS!

2. Oct 28, 2010:   QB choice will wait – AZCardinals.com (blog) by Homeowners Insurance Online