Niners’ York throws down the gauntlet UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on October 11, 2010 – 9:12 am

I’m not going to call it a guarantee, since technically, the word wasn’t used in Jed York’s text message to someone at ESPN — I am guessing Adam Schefter, since Adam wrote the story — but the 49ers owner/president made it clear what he believes today when he wrote out the words “We’re going to win the division.”

And if it walks like a guarantee and talks like a guarantee …

For such a short sentence, it’s a big concept for a team that stands 0-5, may be benching its quarterback and is reeling after all kinds of predictions of greatness before the season.

Look, it’s impossible to write the 49ers off. They are only three games back of the NFC West-leading Cards with 11 games left, and San Francisco still gets to play the Cards twice. History, however, says otherwise. Since the current playoff system was implemented, no team has come back to make the playoffs after an 0-5 start (and, as Football Outsiders’ Bill Barnwell noted last night, no team has done it after a 1-5 start either). Schefter rightly notes the 49ers don’t exactly have a killer schedule on paper the rest of the way, but you can make the same argument for the Cardinals (Hey, they have the 0-5 49ers left twice, right?).

More importantly, why fan flames that don’t need to be fanned? If you are the 49ers, the best place to have the Cardinals is fat and happy, thinking they are in control. That’s when they get dinged. There is already plenty of, let’s say, irritation for the 49ers downstairs in that locker room. To throw this out there, now, only riles up a team that already felt disrespected in the face of all those glowing Niner reports in the offseason.

UPDATE: Coach Ken Whisenhunt’s quote on the matter: “You know what, I’m really not worried too much what the 49ers are doing right now. When we face them in a couple of weeks I will be, but I am more interested in trying to improve with our football team.”

Tags: , ,

60 Responses to “Niners’ York throws down the gauntlet UPDATE”

1. By Jeff Gollin on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

It’s amazing how – if you ignore all the outside triva and just keep grinding – how things tend to work out.

2. By Are You Serious? on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Chumps.

Seeing the Niners fall to 0-5 last night was almost as enjoyable as seeing the Cards beat the Saints.

Chumps.

3. By Jesse Robles on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I couldn’t believe he said this, how do you say something like this? Good Game Cards, lets just worry about resting and the Seahawks week 7!!

4. By bobF on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Cards need to resist the urge to get lazy. Niners are a tough team, no matter what their record is right now.

We will also need a killer game plan since they play well against the Cards. (2 losses to them last year, ouch!)

5. By Jesse Robles on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

How far along is Schofield?

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Jesse —

RE: Schofield

He can return to practice next week (Oct. 18).

7. By Blair on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Hahhahahah zing! I have said it a thousand times. I would almost rather see the niners go 0-16 than see the cards go 16-0. At least one of them is still possible this season!!!

8. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Living here in the SF Bay area and listening to the fans here, The 49ers have no respect for the Cardinals. Even if the Niners are 0-14, they still think the Cardinals suck and they can beat them. The niners swept us last year and thats all I hear out here from their fans. I’m hoping this year we can sweep them like we did in 2008. I watch both team every week and niners match up well against the Cardinals. So both games should be tough. I will be at both games in my Cardinal Jersey and supporting my team. Let’s hope York’s comments does add fuel to the fire and our team does not get a case of cockiness. I realy would like to see the Card kick some “Niner Winer ASS”

Go Cards !!!!!!

9. By tay on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I hate those idiot ass niners…. THEY BLOW

10. By Kurt on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I preidicted a 49’er season record of 6-10 and got blasted up and down the internet, they were right I may have been too generous. I loved Mike as a player, but today’s pro players need structure not chaos. I’m guessing 49er ownership finds the workplace not to fun.

11. By matt on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

there is no way that the 49ers are going to beat the cards its just impossible for them to do

12. By Wampag on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Just keep talking trash and we will see what happend Nov. 29th and toi the D way to step it up

13. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Dumb comment. The 49ers would have to win the division to make the playoffs — there sure isn’t going to be a wildcard team coming from the NFC West.

I wish all the self-proclaimed experts in the print and television media who predicted the 49ers to win the division take a bow in their columns this week.

Max Hall isn’t Kurt Warner, but perhaps he could be the 49er killer that Kurt wasn’t.

14. By Darthcard on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Do you really blame them for thinking they can win this division? Not taking away anything from my cards but there was not 1 game i came away thinking yeah this team is good. On the other hand watching the 49ers i see a team that constantly keeps kicking themselves. They flash. I think the division will be won at 8-8. By who lol idk but it should not shock anyone if the 49ers start winning.

15. By brad oneill on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

i think we should all wear crowns for the 49er game. i know its not good to mock desperate teams especially ones whos only chance at any happiness is too beat your team. but 80000 burgerking crowns would be freaking hillarious in the nest.

16. By Wampag on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

D- tell them to get to work on the Hall jerseys the kid has moxy did you read this article http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/25138/on-the-cardinals-and-max-halls-leadership

17. By Casey on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Since it warrants repeating, great job by the defense and special teams. I just wish there was a way to channel that kind of effort and apply it to at least 80% of the games on the schedule. As Kent Somers points out in his column today, the inconsistent effort bears a striking resemblance to the ’08 team (end result was great, but it shouldn’t have taken the meltdown games to get there).

Offense is obviously a huge work in progress. It was very encouraging to finally see Beanie get so many touches. As soon as opposing defenses have to respect the Cards’ passing game (should come once Breaston and Doucet are fully back), 35 yards on 20 carries will turn into 135 yards on 20 carries for Beanie. Given the Saints’ game plan, I don’t think any back in the league would have faired much better.

I just hope the team uses this bye weak wisely. It already sounds like Hall will be doing so. I just hope the other young guys and even the vets follow his lead in using every single day before the Seattle game to get better in some way, shape or form. Not that playing the Seahawks in Seattle is ever easy, but it would be very unfortunate to see this team take a step backward after making so much progress against the Saints (especially on defense and special teams). The offense just needs to continue to slowly get better with each game and hopefully, as we go down the stretch in the latter part of the season, the offense will be in a position to carry at least its share of the load.

Darren- what does the team’s schedule look like the rest of the week? As happy as they should be about the win, I just hope this team still sees the many opportunities it has to improve and utilizes the bye week accordingly. This week should be treated as an invaluable chance to build on yesterday’s progress (and really prepare for Seattle) rather than a week off to celebrate and pat themselves on the back.

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Bye week

You will likely be disappointed then.

19. By Anthony on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren, make this nickname stick since you’ve got so much political power in Bird Land: “Maximus! Maximus! Maximus! Arizonas new Gladiator!!!” we should all be chanting that at home games!!!

20. By Jesse Robles on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

That is almost getting another 1st rounder, although he did tear his ACL. I hope he can help us at position we definitely could use some depth at. Max gets more Reps to our Receivers, and defense gets a little help with Hayes and Schofield. Very Positive bye.

21. By Sean on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Blair and Are You Serious. I exceeded all speed limits to get home from the game last night JUST to watch the 9ers get spanked.

That was truly enjoyable..

22. By DRC#1FAn on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The Cards finish the hard part of their schedule, in my opinion, with a 3-2 record. The only division leader we have let is Minnesota. Sure, we play the chiefs and the broncos, both mid range to good teams, but we can beat them. Other than that we have the Rams, the Seahawks twice, Niners twice, tampa bay, carolina. I understand that isn’t as easy of a schedule as it appared to be at the start of the season; but very winnable games. Especially since we still have our home stretch on the horizon.

Cards go 11-5 this season. I don’t see us losing any of our remaining games. being the NFL I will say that 3 out of 11 times the ball might not bounce our way.

23. By DRC#1FAn on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Its always the team with the louder prediction that is the worse team. When was the last time the 9ers eve won this division? such a joke.

24. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The 49ers are Diarrhea” an they got a strong Case’, coming from there Mouth’s

Lets Go Bigred! lets get use another NFC west Championship!

25. By Tyrelle on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, they played well yesterday.Just make sure they come out to play next week. We haven’t accomplished anything yet but that is a positive step.

26. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Go big red!

27. By Tyler on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

“the 49ers don’t exactly have a killer schedule on paper the rest of the way, but you can make the same argument for the Cardinals (Hey, they have the 0-5 49ers left twice, right?)”

Hah! Great stuff, Darren…

28. By Secret on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals have a hard time dealing with their successes in the regular season, but fortunately they get angry when they lose. If only they could deal with their success (wins) they could be more focused on winning the next week. I hope coach whiz sees this pattern, I want to see a winning streak.

29. By Tinted Face Shield on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Did I really see not one 49er player or coach last night NOT wearing any pink on breast cancer awareness???

If so that’s extremely disappointing and they should be ashamed of themselves, and I will never be for the 49ers vs anybody. They had a great chance last night on the national Sunday night game to display it.

30. By clssylssy on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    I watch the 9ers nearly every week out of my desire to keep abreast of the competition. They are a better team playing than they are on paper and have come close with some much better teams. So, I hope the Cards (fans included) don’t become cocky and complacent but instead go in hungry, angry and with a belief that we are the underdogs. The division rivals are the really important games and while the win over the Saints was great and a confidence builder, I would have just as soon it was the 9ers. STAY HUNGRY AND GO CARDS!

31. By Mike Ellingboe on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The Niners may want to concern themselves with winning a game first before worrying about the division title. So much for their proclamation of a 12-win season and “easy” ride to the NFC West crown.

If we look at their recent history this start isn’t unusual at all. They had to go 4-1 back in 2008 in their last five games to get to 7-9, and last year they were 6-8 before evening out at 8-8. They give the illusion of giving us a battle for this division, but in reality we’ve wrapped it up with room to spare both times. Hard to be a playoff team when you’ve got losing close games down to a science (NO, Atlanta, & Philadelphia this season, at least Minnesota last season, us back in 2008, so on and so forth). Yap all you want York, but Seattle is our real challenger right now.

32. By RED BIRD 66 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I think Jed York must have had some of that Vodka that made Cardsalltheway not be able to think straight and/or keep there mouths closed. That was the defense I have expected to see this year. I didn’t think we were going to be a scoring powerhouse but I figured our D could win us some games. Thank you Dockett and Porter-I know you were out there somewhere. Not to keep beating DA but do you think the D has more of a sense of -we can win with Max.

33. By brad oneill on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

the 49ers are going to be a huge test this year. no matter what the standings are the 9ers want to wipe the field with us. I hope the cardinals go in with the idea that we can demoralize them for next year. We know this is their last chance with this group, this coach this quarterback. if we finish them off the whole team will be destroyed and they will have to rebuild from scratch next year. if we let them win they will build on the momentum.

do the cards have any kind of killer instinct. we will find out against this flailing struggling victim we have found beaten up in an alley with the only thing left to do is put them out of their misery.

34. By darrel on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Lol this is funny. I’m calling. The 49ers 0-6 rightn ow I can’t see beating the cards twice so how can u win the divsion

35. By TucsonTim on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Just shows you don’t have to have a high IQ to be an owner. Outside of the division, I doubt anyone could care less. In the division he just made meaningless games for the Rams, Seahawks and the Cards very meaningful.

36. By Scott H on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey, let the 49ers worry about themselves…looks like they have plenty to worry about with a coach that seems to be losing control of the team and clear un-certainty at QB. Whatever. Alex Smith is what he has been all along, and I’m not sure why people were expecting any different from this year. He’s just not good enough, and it seems like they are waiting entirley too long to realize that. What I’m truly enjoying – and Cardinals fans have been quite over-due for some of that! – is watching the 49ers fizzle after they were EVERYONE’S pick to be the sweethearts of the NFC West this year. What CRAP that was. They are not as bad as their 0-5 record indicates but…they probably aren’t good enough to recover from 0-5, either.

But never mind that. Ultimately, I’d rather be more happy about my team doing well than another team doing poorly. And, for the first time this season, the Cardinals played a game that we can feel good about. I am NOT a big believer is just winning, no matter what, because it’s better than losing. The wins against the Rams and Raiders were about as joyless as could be. AND they weren’t fooling anyone. This team looked bad and on their way to nowhere. Yesterday’s game? Ah, now THAT is a game worth celebrating. Don’t know why it took the defense so long to show up, but they were in the house yesterday! After seeing them trampled by the Falcons and Chargers, I needed to see them stop a good offensive team over the course of an entire game to believe that they could do it. And we needed it because the offense was not going to win that game yesterday. The Saints have been struggling and it was great to see our defense make them continue to struggle INSTEAD OF being just what the Saints needed to cure all of their ills. How cool is it to see a game against the Super Bowl champs be the game that gets US out of the rut we’ve been in and not the other way around??? Again, THAT is worth getting psyched about. After sleepwalking through the first four games, this team had it yesterday. Just when the Saitns scored to make it 23-20 and you could see the let-down coming, they took it right back and closed the door. THAT makes me happy! And I ain’t been happy for awhile, so…I’m enjoying today.

37. By IronWill on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren and fans,

They want to throw out a negative karma statement(even knowing we are “underdog” motivated) then I will bring out POSITIVE karma. Stay tuned for my NEXT video 😛

Will

38. By Lone-Eagle on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Well, when Jed York comes out and says something that ignorant, it kind of makes you wonder and say HuH? Now granted the 9ers have lost three close games at the end, and could very well be 3-2, They are not!! They are 0-5 and they will be playing a team this week with a lot of confidence, after knocking out the Chargers! I don’t see them winning that game in Oakland, and then they will have to travel to Carolina! Now unless for some reason, the rules of the NFL changed last night and Steve Young, Jerry Rice and a few other hall of famers come out of retirement, I just don’t see them making the playoffs this year. I have watched a couple of their games this year and they just aren’t in sync and their defense is not as advertised! However, I know for a fact it is going to be an all out war on the 29th of NOV!! This is becoming one Hell of a rivalry! Alright Cards, attempt to ignore the ignorance of this moronic Owner who knows very little about football and obviously does not know when to keep his mouth closed!!! Talk is done on the field, not out of the mouth! What is even funnier is Jed not even the one putting on the pads!! Let’s go RED ARMY!!

39. By CArDzF@N206 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Well we shouldn’t really worry about da niners.. Like I said I believe in Max.. It was his first game and he did alrite for a rookie.. his best game will come… atleast he didn’t throw 3 int.. lol. I thinkb he is gonna play good against the seahawks. I hope. Cuz I’m jst tired of dis people out here in seattle… I knoe dat Max is not Kurt but hey we got a win over da Saints.. Kurt isn’t Max either.. but best of luck to our DIRTY BIRD… LET’S DO IT AGAIN…

40. By TBru on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Maybe if Steve Young, Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott suit up they will improve, but I personally am not worried about a 0-5 team, win a game before you talk about winning the division.
    I think Jim Mora said it best

41. By Chuck on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Same Ol Forty-Whiners,i mean O-Niners!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. By Bojangle on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I think the Rams and Seahawks are a bigger threat to the Cardinals as far as winning the division goes. The Seahawks play well at home, and the Rams might get in a groove once Bradford gets comfortable, The 49ers will have to play mistake free football to even have a shot at winning the division — and none of us have seen any signs of that happening.

I think the Cardinals can win the division at 9-7 with Max at quarterback. I think they probably would have gone 7-9 with DA in there, maybe 8-8 if they were lucky. It’s definitely a rebuilding year for the Cardinals, which makes it that much cooler when you realize despite that fact, they can still win the division! The Cardinals proved the critics wrong last year — they said the Cardinals would have a Superbowl hangover and do terrible, but the Cardinals had there best season in years with a 10-6 record. Do it again Cardinals!

43. By steve on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The problem is not the 49ers….it’s Alex Smith. Laugh.

44. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Remember everyone, Tennessee went 0-6 to start last season and ended up 8-8.
    Which might be good enough to win the NFC West this season.

45. By dan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Keep starting Alex Smith…..LOL! 49ers will not win the division, Cardinals still own this division and now we have Max Hall to lead us for the next 10 years or so. I’m so tired of the 49ers talking smack…….losers. 49ers……YAWN!

46. By dan on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Mike Singletary won’t even make it thru the season…..LOL!

47. By Anthony on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

“Maximus! Maximus! Maximus!” Our new Gladiator will not let us down! Once this kid develops we’re gonna be back on top! Look what our D did to the Saints… both sides of the ball are coming together nicely.

48. By jwit on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Maybe just maybe.. he meant the 49ers will win the division NEXT year? maybe

49. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Ok, this can be seen one of two ways: One being that it will charge the Cards up and make the Niners pay, or Two it will go against us. Simple as that. And I’m hoping it will go our way. I’m hoping it will push our guys over this edge we seem to stay on and get them to start playing up to their potential. They definately can not sit back on their laurels and let this win against the Saints go to their heads. Yes the Defense brought their “A” game Sunday. And it showed. But if there is one thing about the Cards is that they lack consistency. They impressed me with fewer penalties and turnovers, but the defense can’t win all the time. The offence needs to sustain drives, and I think with Hall they might be able to do that. Good overall game, but can’t let it get to our heads. Go Cards!!!!!!!!

50. By Big Red on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

I’m enjoying this season with the 9er’s 0-5 and the cowgirsl’s at 1-3 and both falling back each week. We might be seeing the destruction of both team coming apart. Go! Cardinals west division champions again.

51. By TBru on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

“i think we should all wear crowns for the 49er game.”

Only if Denny Green comes back as honorary captain/mascot and revisits his crown their ass speach

52. By Eazy E on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

49ers are clueless as to what they are doing. Good luck with that buddy and even if they have an ”easy” schedule the rest of the way, they’re 0-5, how in the hell is that ”easy”? They haven’t even won a game. Alex Smith is inconsistent, running game is a mess and even their defense which is good hasn’t played like anything you can run on them and pass they can’t stop anybody right now.

53. By Eazy E on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

They can’t stop ANYBODY

54. By Dre on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

the niners magic number is 3…3 more loses out of 11 games and I say they don’t make the playoffs. They would have to sweep us again, then beat Green Bay and San Diego on the the road. But just to make this fun, let’s not forget about the last game of the year…who we play (49ers) and where (San Fran).

I wish I could find me a real live sucker who believe the niners will win the division and isn’t afraid to put their money where their mouth is…I’m not even a gambler but I’ll take that bet.

55. By dan on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren……….are the Cardinals going to wear black against the 9ers? I say we put a stamp on the division and wear black. I have a feeling that is one of the black jersey games. I hope we don’t wear black against the Cowboys on X-mas considering the Cardinals uniforms along with the green grass give it a X-mas feel…..hehe!

56. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Black unis

Nothing has been announced officially. But I am hearing that two possibilities are the MNF Niners game and the Halloween game vs the Bucs.

2. Oct 11, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog
  3. Oct 11, 2010: Week Six NFL Predictions: Falcons are NFC’s Top Dog – The Faster Times « NFL Fans Stay Connected
  4. Oct 12, 2010: Sports Review