Cards stuff to watch, listen to, read

Posted by Darren Urban on October 21, 2010 – 9:59 am

Some Cardinals stuff to keep you entertained over the next few days that wasn’t created by me (although make sure you keep reading my work … no slacking):

— The Big Red Rage is tonight at Majerle’s at Chandler Fashion Center at 6 p.m. Adrian Wilson’s guest is fellow safety Kerry Rhodes, who has been on a hot streak (and is making plays, which happens to be the subject of my story on the homepage later today). You can attend live, or listen live on Sports 620 KTAR.

— foxsportsarizona.com’s Craig Morgan wrote a good story on LB Joey Porter and his lack of impact thus far (a subject I know many of you have been, let’s say, noticing). Porter: “Trust me, I’m beating myself up every day because I watch myself on film. I’m so used to being in a position to make plays. It’s what I’ve done my whole career, so when you go through a stretch like this where you haven’t been able to make impact plays, you start to wonder ‘What are you doing wrong?’ ”

— As promised, ESPN.com’s Elizabeth Merrill has her own detailed account of quarterback Max Hall, with some good anecdotes from his college days.

— The new Cardinals Underground podcast was posted yesterday.

— This week’s edition of Maximum Cardinals, which will air on Ch. 12 (KPNX/NBC) Saturday after the Notre Dame game (approximately 3:15/3:30 p.m.) at 4 p.m. (thanks, Nate) and again Sunday morning at 6:30, features a piece on punter Ben Graham and a conversation about Hall I had with his uncle, former NFL quarterback Danny White, while White watched a practice earlier this week.

Tags: , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Cards stuff to watch, listen to, read”

1. By Brandon on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

great article on hall. i was wondering how often you post things like this with links. its helpful cause i usually dont have the time to search for these articles and frankly i dono were to look to begin with… thanks again for the great blog you run

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Links

I don’t do it all the time, especially when I plan on writing on a similar subject. I want you all to read me first, right? 🙂

But once in a while I will link, especially if it is note-worthy or timely (when I’m not getting to it, like the Porter story on his own issues).

3. By NorthernCard on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

I was wondering if there was another way to watch Maximum Cardinals. I live up here in the Northwest and miss out on a lot of the stuff that is broadcast locally. I think you use to post at least part of those broadcasts in the video section but I don’t know that I have seen one in a while.

-northen

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Northern Card —

RE: Max Cards

Unfortunately, because of broadcast contracts, we can’t post the show on the site. We do often post Max Cards pieces however, just in the past week the Calvisi spot about injuries and the Reagan Maui’a Wired, for instance.

5. By Secret on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

You probably know this, but i think people love to read and comment on your stuff because your closer to home with the team and the staff more than anyone out there that blogs and reports as much as you. I’ll put you above Adam Schefter any day lol. 😉

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Schefter

I just wish I had Adam’s paycheck.

7. By Dre on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

Your thoughts…

Is it a bad sign when your starting cornerbacks (53) have more tackles then your starting OLBs (42). CB Greg Toler has 35 tackles, second only to RILB Paris 43 but compared to LB Porters 19 and they are on the same.

That was a good link/ article on Porter, great insight. I can understand the frustration with Porter’s low sack number (1) but what about his tackle numbers (19). Out of all the starters on defense, he only has more tackles then Robinson (4) and Rodgers-Cromartie (18).

That was my initial observation but after writing it, I decided to look at other teams to see if it is typ. for corners to have more tackles then OLBs and to my surprise it is…go figure huh. I guess I answered my own question.

I still think Porter has been the biggest disappointment this year because he had the biggest name of all the players we brought in. He was expected to be a big part of the D, mostly by putting pressure on the QB…out of the entire game you might hear his name called once or twice.

I don’t know way ppl think it’s all about the # sack becuase it not. To make the QB as uncomfortable as possible is what is needed the most…put hands on him, make him step into the pocket, knock him down and make him pull himself off the ground everytime he attemps a pass is my definition of a pass rush.

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Dre —

RE: tackles

I don’t think there is any question they want Porter to impact more. But in this scheme, despite it having a 3-4 bent, Porter operates a lot like a DE much of the time and I think that needs to be factored in to the equation.

9. By brad oneill on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

darren maybe if we hype you enough the raiders will swoop in and steal you away for a ridiculous salary.

i would miss you though.

i was looking over the roster and was wondering if it wouldnt be smarter for the team to keep schofield on the injured reserve for the year. I am not sure how much time he would get anyway and i would hate to lose someone for a player that isnt going to get into the game. can ir players practice with the team? I think he has a bright future i just think it makes sense to hold off on him at the time being.

As for Gerald Hayes I really wonder who is going to be lost for him. he should have an immediate impact so it is a necessary move and if we drop someone down to practice sqaud I suspect gant would be the odd man out. it is also possible that Bryan Robinson gets an early retirement. if so I hope the team does something special for that guy. he has been a solid player for years and has done his best to help usher in the new guys.

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Schofield

I think there a chance that could happen. As for Hayes, once the receivers come back healthy, they won’t carry seven and will probably let Onrea Jones go. There is a spot right there.

11. By Rick on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

I read the piece on Max Hall and thought it was great. I am excited about the POTENTIAL he has but I think that we all need to temper the enthusiasm. Hall has played in 3 games and has an INT in each game and NO touchdowns by the offense. He does seem to have “it” but he needs to score points if he wants to keep “it”. This is a performance based league and his performances so far have been OK. Not trying to sound overly negative, just want to keep us all grounded. GO CARDS!!!

12. By Eazy E on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Dre-
    Toler gets a ton of balls thrown his way though.

13. By SSB on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall has moxie. In that respect he reminds me of Fran Tarkington and Doug Flutie, both guys who didn’t have the greatest skills on paper but got it done somehow. I have a gut feeling we’ll see that from Max. My greatest concern is that he stay healthy because his ability to be in-your-face could also get him nailed. Our o-line needs to get possessive toward him.

14. By cardsalltheway on Oct 22, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Rick, I’ll curb my enthusiasm by using the Seahawks defense this week for my fantasy team(relax, I plan to use the Cards defense next week).

“Jenny Dell and Tim Hasselbeck talk about the development of Arizona’s Max Hall”
    I really don’t care about the level of Hall’s so-called intelligence, this is football not math and science. However, there have been players/QB’s I’ve often wondered whether they were just another brick on the wall.
    While I’ve pointed out how Brees and Hall are not alike i.e. thick/thin necks, I heard Calvisi say it best when he referred to Hall as “pencil neck.”
    I also have Marshawn Lynch on my team and considered using him instead of the Seahawk defense. I hope my choice pans out. I can see the Cards winning 14 – 13 while the Seahawks defense scores two touchdowns(one by punt/kickoff return). I’ll expect the Seahawks to sack Hall a few times while picking off a few of his passes and picking up a couple fumbles.

15. By Doc on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

I find it interesting that Hayes who has not played a down yet this season and washed up Porter are even mentioned among big play or impact players. Unquestionably, on film and on paper, Paris Lenon has been the lone bright spot from the Backer position. Certainly, I acknowledge my biases since I have know him since his youth but this guy does his job extremely well and does not run his trap about it. Give this man needs some well deserved credit. He is one of the best in the league right now!

16. By Ross loves Cardinals tickets on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

Cardinals is the best team that should be feared of…..

2. Oct 21, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com