Childress worked in Flagstaff – but not with Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on November 4, 2010 – 9:29 am

Vikings coach Brad Childress once was an assistant coach for the NAU football program as he started out in the profession. He lost his job and was working at a Circle K convenience store in the town had just begun hosting the Cardinals for training camp.

He also had his phone calls forwarded to the store while waiting to hear about potential jobs, and he talked about getting his break – when then-Utah coach Ron McBride called to offer him a position when he was at work.

“I was actually accepting the job and there were people standing at the counter,” Childress said during this week’s conference call. “I waved them out of the store and I said, ‘no no, go ahead and take it.’ I think it was some Ho-Hos and a Big Gulp. I probably wasn’t real good at that point in time, but I did accept the job and after that was gainfully employed back in college football. It was more important that I didn’t have to get off that conversation than the people that were standing there waiting to pay me for their stuff.”

Childress, in his monotone way, noted “I’ll probably get a letter in my file with Circle K for this,” although it was 1990. Childress, by the way, was on an NAU staff with future NFL head coaches Andy Reid, Bill Callahan and Marty Mornhinweg.

Childress may be the only NFL coach to have ever accepted a job while working the counter at a convenience store (I’ll have to see if the Elias Sports Bureau keeps records on that). Not the best place to be taking calls from potential future employers.

“I was admonished weekly for not answering the phones ‘Circle K 113’ or whatever the hell it was,” Childress said.

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “Childress worked in Flagstaff – but not with Cards”

1. By Casey on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

RE: Leinart & Plummer

Any reaction to the following snipits? (And please don’t tell me I have too much time on my hands- these articles come to me spoonfed by the services I subscribe to).

Leinart:
    “Asked after practice about the third-stringer Leinart, a former first-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals, coach Gary Kubiak gushed.

“Oh boy, he’s making a lot of progress,” Kubiak said. “I’m really impressed with how far he’s come. He has a lot of confidence as a person. He has that ‘it’ factor when people are around him – you can see it.

“I’m excited about the direction of his career. I’m happy to have him.”

Kubiak then was asked if there was a possibility of a shift in the depth chart.”

Plummer:
    “However, there’s one final thing he fantasizes about doing on the gridiron.

Said Plummer: “I would like to go in one more game and roll to my left and throw a ball, a sick wobbly lob pass to Larry Fitzgerald(notes) and he’d go up against eight [defensive backs] and pull it down and make me look good.”

Somewhere, the Cardinals brass frantically just picked up the phone.”

Thanks,
    Casey

“He continues to push Dan every day,” he said.

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Leinart/Plummer

I saw the Plummer thing. Still not surprised Jake walked away from the game. He never really seemed to want to play it, not on the NFL level. Not like you’d expect.

As for the Leinart note, honestly, let me see him get on the field in a game. To me, that last quote from Kubiak was telling (and who knows, I could be off base, I don’t know Kubiak). But if the response from the coach when asked basically if he is planning on making Leinart second-string, and his answer is “he continues to push Dan every day,” my first reaction is, “he’s probably not close to taking the job yet.” If I am the Texans, knowing Leinart probably isn’t going to want to stay in Houston (no chance to be anything but a backup), I’m not putting a lot of eggs into developing him to my backup.

3. By bobf on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

he’d better not burn his bridges at Circle K. He may have to hit them up for another job soon.

4. By Kurt on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Great post, now I’m a “Big Gulp Childress” fan, but not this week

5. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

As another former esteemed Circle K employee, I could see why Childress didn’t last long in the “HoHo and Big Gulp” world- Circle Jerk sells THIRSTBUSTERS, 7/11 the Big Gulp!
    And when I was working there the only phone calls I got was “Can I buy beer with my Food Stamps?” or “This is the neighbor next door. Someone just ran over my cat and threw it’s carcass in your dumpster. Will you please get it out for me?”(True story and yes, I did.)
    Don’t forget, Darren NAU has been a sort of superhighway for NFL coaches including Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan and former Raider guy Bill Callahan.

6. By MikeG on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– I hope we have a similar game plan defensively against the Vikes that we had against the Seahawks. Selling out against the run to stop Peterson has to be the focus. I think with Favre hurt and his receivers banged up we can play them straight up. We must hold our own the first 6-7 minutes of this game. What is your biggest concern this week??? Mine is — Turnovers from the offense???

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Minn concerns

I want to see them stay close, not turn the ball over and make sure Peterson doesn’t shred them.

8. By brad oneill on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

If childress didn’t pay for the drink and ho ho’s himself he has a serious character flaw. No wonder circle k had to file bankruptcy with employees like him. My guess is the vikings will be filing bankruptcy next. Sorry mn no stadium for you, I know the fans love the team even in bad years but there is no way you are going to get that many Lutherans to cough up money for a stadium “theres a recession, dontcha know.”

9. By Kevin on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

What the heck to you expect Darren’s reaction to be, Casey? “Oh, yeah, the fact that the guy we released is pushing the 2nd string guy a bit in Houston is evidence that he should have been kept as our QB”? Do we have to keep harping on Leinart as if you’re looking for an admission from someone that the Cardinals screwed up? You’re not going to get it. And, in any case, does the reaction from Kubiak when asked about Leinart surprise you? What coach is going to say — “oh, man, he sucks, I’m not sure why we even went and got the guy.” And he can’t say something like, “He’s a huge project” (the way AZ can with a guy like Skelton) as he’s been in the league too long. The response is exactly what you’d predict. Every coach wants his players to think the guys below them are pushing for their jobs… it makes the other guys work harder as well.

10. By Purple people eater on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

I read the entire article and I cannot understand what this article has to do with football. Do any of you fine people tell me what it means? BTW, We will shred your D. Even without Rice and Harvin and Favre and Moss. we can still kick butt.

11. By Purple people eater on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Good luck y’all. I hope you all win all of your games but the next one. Purple People Eater…Out.

12. By KyCardsfan on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Purple Peter eater, go to your own site! We are going to tear y’all apart just like we did last year when y’all were actually a decent team…and I’m pretty sure dockett will send Favre to a midseason retirement…so good luck to you!

13. By brad oneill on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

purple people eater you may shred our defense, hold our offense scoreless, pass for 600 yards, run for another 300 but the bottom line is at the end of the day we can still play golf in January and we dont have al franken representing us in the senate.

14. By TBru on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

He couldn’t have been a very good Circle K employee, since Big Gulps are sold at 7-11. Circle K has Thirstbusters

15. By TW VIKE on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply