The Phantom Passer

Posted by Darren Urban on November 9, 2010 – 10:43 am

Steve Breaston, quarterback. At least for one play.

The Cards worked all last week on an end-around pass from Breaston to Larry Fitzgerald. The play came up in Sunday’s game, but the Vikings wouldn’t let Fitzgerald come free, making sure he was double covered. So Breaston (who uses “Stevie Phantom” as an alias) rolled to the right and calmly waited for tight end Jim Dray to come open on a drag route and hit Dray for a 17-yard gain. The play was part of the Cards’ final scoring drive that put them up, 24-10.

“I like that, to have your coaches trust you to make the right decision, to put the ball in your hands to make a play,” Breaston said.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt admitted he got excited to see Breaston not only make a play, but made the correct read. “I was surprised he knew that,” Whisenhunt said. “But I guess I shouldn’t be with Steve because he makes those plays on Sundays.”

Whisenhunt added that “All these guys want to talk about is how good they are at these things.” Breaston, who played quarterback in high school, of course had no doubt he’d be successful.

“I was throwing it to Larry all week but once I saw Larry was covered, it was run or … my eyes were downfield the whole time and I saw the tight end coming across and made the pass,” Breaston said. “It was all about scrambling, and I knew I could do that. I’ve played quarterback before when I ran around, I ran around on punt returns. It’s just like running a waggle.”

Breaston once threw a touchdown pass in college, coincidentally to former Cardinals quarterback John Navarre. He laughed at the comparison. “Jim is a little faster than John,” Breaston said. “You go back and look at that touchdown run by John (in this video, at the 3:34 mark), it took him forever to get to the end zone. It took 20 seconds to go 40 yards.”

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “The Phantom Passer”

1. By Eric on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Love it! We need to have a few more gadget plays to keep the defense honest.

Darren, did I see DRC in on a pass play also?

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

RE: DRC

Yes you did.

3. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

After all, Breaston was the Pennslyvania Gatorade High School Player of the Year. I truly expected him to take over the “Pahokee” role from Boldin and Rolle.
    Did anyone else notice the play before Breastons’, DRC was lined up as a WR and was open deep?
    People inexplicitly keep harping on Whiz’s playcalling as conservative, but those back-to-back plays show otherwise.

4. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey lets give him more snaps as QB or wildcat? at least he can run if the pass protection breaks down?
    Go Cards!

5. By Joe-B on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the Cardinals might use Breaston in the wildcat like they used to with Boldin and Rolle?

6. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Joe – B —

RE: Wildcat

There is always a chance.

7. By JAGGED on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Is Steve the starting QB now?

8. By Michelle on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I thought the play was well thought out and I was very impressed by Breaston. Since he has played QB let him have a shot at it once in awhile…lol Ok I was kidding but it sounded good. I was impressed by this last game. Larry had his best game of the season and so did DA not throwing any interceptions. I just wish Whiz can get his play calling down. Better yet how about we get a OC.

Darren, Is there any talk about us possibly getting McNabb in the offseason? I seen a thing on nfl.com about how that would be a great move for us!! Heard anything on this?? Is it possible!

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Michelle —

RE: QB/McNabb

Let’s see if/when he becomes a free agent first. At this point, I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

10. By Bryan on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Sad when our best QB is a WR.

11. By ndpenner on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Steelers had the same issue a few years back…some “Kordell Stewart” guy…

12. By Jesse Robles on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Breaston can teach our QB’s how to read the D and throw a football too?

13. By Shake on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Too bad it did not result in a TD like Whiz’s last time around

14. By BostonJD on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

a) Your work is great!

b) What is the view on Dan Williams, is he a first round bust?

c) Do you know the summation of Cards salaries this year? I am just trying to get a feel for if the Cards worked under a similar budget as last yr, or used the lack of a salary cap as an excuse to be way under,….aka more profitable

Thanks,

JD

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

BostonJD —

RE: Williams/cap

b) No, I don’t think Williams is a bust. I think he is playing a role at this point much like Whisenhunt likes from his rookies.

c) I think had Dansby/Rolle/Warner accepted the big money deals on the table, they would have spent a lot more. But I don’t think it’s out of line to say the impending labor issues — and the possibility there won’t be football for at least part of 2011 — has impacted not only the Cards but many NFL teams.

16. By TBru on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Dear Phantom, please share your football insights with DA, thanks

17. By Grabling on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren, why the cards never gets a “blue chip” player when they are available? Example: M. Vick, Mcnabb, Merriman, etc.

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Grabling —

RE: Blue chip

Vick hasn’t been available since coming out of jail. McNabb had to be traded for (and there is an argument that he isn’t what he once was). Merriman may just be a shell of his former self.

19. By KyCardsfan on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

An idea for a play, line up in the wildcat, breaston under center, have Anderson line up as a receiver on the left, fake a run play out to the right, after u sale the run throw the ball back to Anderson who throws it deep to Fitz for a 50 plus yard touchdown….BAM! Lol, sounds good anyways.

20. By Von Curry on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Lets make him our QB and maybe then we can have a game where defense and special teams dont have to score 3/4ths of our points in a game….the offense is terrible…

21. By Wampag on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

he is the man

22. By pena on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

that was a great play keep up the hard work

23. By tyman on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Kurt just got booted from dancing with the stars. Its time cards fans start the Kurt chants. For real wiz, fitz, Graves the whole freaken team should be calling Kurt.