Fitz on the Big Red Rage

Posted by Darren Urban on November 18, 2010 – 9:24 am

For those looking for something to do, Larry Fitzgerald will be Adrian Wilson’s guest tonight on the Big Red Rage at Majerle’s Sports Grill in Chandler. The show will be taped live at 6 p.m. (and can be watched on live streaming video here) and, with Fitz on board, you probably want to get there early to get a seat. If you can’t be there/watch, it will air on Sports 620 KTAR following the Phoenix Suns’ game.

And, apropos of nothing, I meant to link to this yesterday, but I enjoyed Kent Somers’ article yesterday. Call it “A Few Good Cardinals.”

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Fitz on the Big Red Rage”

1. By Casey on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

RE: Going Back to 2002-2003

I think what frustrates all of us so much (including yourself) is that after making so much progress from 2007 through 2009, this team seems to have given all of that back and then some in such a short span of time.

After a trip to the Super Bowl and a 2nd consecutive NFC West Division Title, including a win against Green Bay last year in the playoffs, this team suddenly became relevant in the NFL and in professional sports. The Harris poll ranking (#11) proves that point.

Well, with a terrible off-season in 2010 mostly to blame, this team has become irrelevant again. Living in LA, I listen to national radio talk and no one cares about the Cardinals anymore unless they are playing a team with drama (e.g. Vikings/Favre).

I think you probably enjoyed professionally covering a team that had become so relevant on the national stage the past two years. We as fans have enjoyed continuing to watch games in November and December that actually matter for a change instead of starting to break down the draft before Thanksgiving (or even Halloween as we’ve once again begun to do this year).

I think we can all see and feel the regression. The stats tell us we’ve regressed and so do the wins and losses. Short of a win this week in KC and then a good run with the 3 consecutive home games, the local blackouts will also tell us that we’re back to 2002-2003, just like the stats from the link below seem to confirm.

I really think we were all hoping that Graves and the Bidwills had learned from the terrible mistakes that were made back in the off-season of 1999 after the playoff win against the Cowboys when Larry Centers was cut (heart and soul of the team, akin to Anquan Boldin being traded this off-season) and Jamir Miller (impact underestimated just as Karlos Dansby’s was) and Lomas Brown (ironically, just like Rolle, became a NY Giant) were not re-signed.

For whatever reason, this organization at that point in time also underestimated the impact that those 3 players had on the success of the team on the field and perhaps gave too much credit to what Tobin and company had contributed to the success on the field the year prior. I really think the same mistakes were made this past off-season.

We all became overconfident in Whiz, suggesting that he, more than the players, was responsible for the 2 years of success, and that even with huge personnel losses, he would somehow find a way to make it all work, because, afterall, it’s “in Whiz we trust.”

Well, I think we all realize now that while coaches are important, players matter most. Whiz can only do so much on his own, and in fact, he needs great players like Warner to mask some of his own deficiencies (i.e., inability to develop an effective running game, build and manage a legitimate defense, and get commensurate production out of high round draft picks).

In addition to hoping the team can somehow win this week at KC- sparking another 3 consecutive wins at home- I think we are all just hoping that this organization will own up to its personnel mistakes (including coaches- Billy ‘avis and absence of an Offensive Coordinator) and aggressively try to recapture all of the progress that has apparently been lost in just 10 or so months.

Any thoughts to add Darren?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Regression

Nope.

3. By brad oneill on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

how many star recievers and star safeties would show up to do a radio show after having a season as bad as this one?

The fact that fitz and wilson are going to be there says a lot about their character. There is still hope for these guys yet. I am going to the st louis game for my one game this year to cheer for both of these guys. Even though i have been critical of a dub i think he is a great guy and a great player. they just need some better scheming.

4. By FresnoBoy on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!

5. By bob on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I think casey makes alot of good points and was looking for your professional input. Dont really understand the one word answer. Alot of times guys ask good questions and you reply that way, not sure if its anger or if you don;t like your job or what, but some insight into the team fromt what casey was talking about would be nice.

6. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Bob —

RE: Casey comment

He doesn’t ask a specific question. He makes many points, and they can be considered valid. What exactly are you looking for me to add?

I have decided a “less is more” approach is better on this board. And if anyone has been following my back-and-forths with Casey, it seems like it makes the most sense with his stuff.

7. By bob on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

well said, fair enough. I do appreciate you contributions

8. By Stuck In Texas on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Casey,
    I love reading your posts, good work keep it up.

9. By Casey on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

RE: Regression

No response is fine- no offense taken on my part. I do always like to address my posts to you in case there is something I say that strikes a chord, otherwise, if I’m not addressing you directly, I’m not sure you really have a reason to read some of the lengthier posts. But if you honestly don’t have any objections and there is nothing to add, so be it, no worries.

More than anything, I’ve just seen this reaction by the local media lately (not so much yourself, but Kent’s satire with the Q&A piece as an example, which was actually very well done) of astonishment as to how fans could so quickly be so upset (implication: irrational/blind anger) with this team and I feel the need to rationalize our disappointment and frustration.

You also made some sort of comment after this last loss to the effect of “I’m not sure why I too [in addition to the fans] get so upset with these losses, but I do,” and in my humble opinion, I think that you, like most people (myself included) like to be professionally involved with “relevant” subject matter. The fact is, the Cards went from being irrelevant on the national stage for about 50 years to being very relevant for 2 years and now appear to have gone back to being totally irrelevant. I think if we are all honest with ourselves, that’s what is so frustrating with what has transpired.

That’s it D. With my posts, more is probably less, so with your “less is more” approach, it probably balances things out.

Thanks,
    Casey

10. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Your posts

Trust me. Whether I respond or not, I always read them.

11. By cardsalltheway on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Casey
    How could you’ve written all that and so many names without mentioning Matt Leinart?
    So, Kent implicated that fans were stupid with blind anger?

12. By Scott H on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Casey –
    Good stuff. As a long-time and currently very frustrsted Cardinals fan, I would say that you seem to be in touch with what many other long-timers are feeling. Ya know, we just had a blissful two year rise up to relevance and successs after three decades of futility and misery. My worst fear is that we may be in for another 30 years of misery before we see the light again!

13. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Casey,
    As stated before, it’s always good to have two sides to every story and your points are well written, but please don’t have all fans as being inclusive in your opinions. “We” implies that the majority agrees with you and I ‘m not a part.
    And I think the Somers article and Urban’s retitlement is more of a reflection of laughing at you than with you, so I hope you have a sense of humor.

14. By vivek on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren

Do we really need to worry about the Chief’s D and Crennel after that shellacking they got last weekend? What aspects of the Chief’s game do we need to be most concerned about?
    Btw, can you please ask #11 why he hurried off to his car baffling so many of us fans who had been patiently waiting for a close-up with him? :-).

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Vivek —

RE: Chiefs D/Fitz

I don’t think the Cards are in a position to not worry about anything at this point.

As for Fitz, I don’t know if that’s a topic that needs to be revisited. I am guessing it’s not that complicated of a reason.

16. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Watched the Big Red Rage, good stuff though Wilson isn’t the most effervescent interviewee I’ve seen. (Is he like that all the time?)
    And can someone please tell Calvisi he can’t hoist the beer during what he assumes TV timeouts? He must have lifted the glass at least 5 times with someone reminding him, “No Paul, friends don’t let friends interview drunk.”

17. By Mike Ellingboe on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Casey,

I haven’t read whatever Kent Somers wrote but if he was satirical I completely understand why. Whisenhunt does the impossible and turns the Cardinals competitive virtually overnight (a feat accomplished once in the previous 50 years prior to his arrival) and now the bandwagon jumpers are questioning him? Even the most recognized rebuilders of destroyed franchises, Bill Parcells, went through ups and downs everywhere he went. The Giants were 14-2 in ’86 and 6-9 in ’87, the Patriots; from 93-96, recorded 5-11, 10-6, 6-10, 11-5. The Jets, 12-4 in ’98 to 8-8 in ’99 and finally, Dallas 10-6 in 2003 to 6-10 in 2004.

Give the Whiz a break, you don’t walk into losing franchises without encountering a bump in the road at some point.

18. By FITTZYFAN on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think that the Cardinals will get a win this time in KC???

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Fittzy —

RE: Win in K.C.

I am out of the prediction business.