No QB announcement yet

Posted by Darren Urban on December 8, 2010 – 1:48 pm

As expected, coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t name a starting quarterback Wednesday. Richard Bartel and John Skelton split the quarterback reps and Whisenhunt said he will evaluate as the week goes along as to who will start. Derek Anderson has yet to pass his concussion tests, so his candidacy is a moot point for now. Given the situation, I think Whisenhunt would like to have three available QBs, regardless of who starts. Asked if Bartel was in the mix, Whisenhunt said “I think he has to be. Even if John is the guy, he could go one play and get hurt and (Bartel) would be in there playing.”

Skelton wouldn’t say he is expecting to start, only that he wants to continue to work and let everything develop as it will. Asked about getting so many reps, Skelton smiled. “There’s only two of us,” Skelton said. “Someone has to get the reps.”

As for Bartel, he knows he has a steep learning curve on a short week if he were forced to play. Is there enough time to prepare? “There better be,” Bartel said. “Nobody’s waiting on me.”

Anderson was the only player not to practice at all Wednesday, not bad news for a team that has been struggling (and here is the full injury report).

Tags: , , ,

49 Responses to “No QB announcement yet”

1. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

So, by the photo above, Whis is not only going to be HC and OC but starting QB also?
    Of course, that’s only if he can get along with himself.

2. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I know you answered before, but what are exactly the post concussion tests that Anderson must pass?

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Concussion tests

Not sure to be honest.

4. By Blake on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

The Cards are in a unique situation. Personally, I think that Skelton should be given a try to see if he will be a long term answer at QB. Are the Cards considering Bartel for more than just a backup QB at this point, or is it too early to make that kind of judgement? (After all, he DID practice with them a few weeks ago).

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Blake —

RE: Bartel

He did not practice with them a few weeks ago. He was brought in for a workout. Huge difference.

6. By Manny on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

WOW DARREN THAT LAST LINE MEANS YOU AINT OR MAYBE ALL THE CARDINALS PLAYERS ARENT ANDERSON FANS lol

7. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Go Skeletor!!!

8. By Brian R. on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Haha. Good one.

9. By Derfy on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

What is it about Whisenhunt’s ego that won’t let him name Skelton and Beanie as starters? Does he think the stadium is going to fill up Sunday if there is a chance a second string UFL QB will start? What about his ego is repulsed by the wild happy cheering when Skelton comes in? Is it really worth the ego trip not to start Beanie, when any other NFL coach would jump at the chance to start him? Does anyone else on the team, in the coach’s opinion, have any brains but him?

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Derfy —

RE: Beanie starter

Actually Beanie was named the starter and on the official depth chart, remains there.

And I think you’re engaging in some hyperbole with the “start Beanie when any other NFL coach would jump at the chance to start him.” You don’t know that.

11. By Dave on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I thought skelton was wearing 13 lol

12. By Michael.AZ on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I feel better about Skelton n Bartel, than with Anderson n Hall at Qbs, Go Cards!!!

13. By AzCardsFanatic on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Judging by the photo, I think Whiz has the best footwork out of the 4, lol.

14. By David C. on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

AndyStandsUp stole this post with the comment of the day, lol.

15. By Voice of Reason on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

The fact that Bartel was brought in for a workout a few weeks ago only ticks me off more. That means that the team knew then that they had quarterback problems. Also means, four weeks ago (when we have four less losses in the column and the division was still very much up for grabs) a vet could have been brought in and rescued the season.

It is absolutely embarrassing that nothing was done. I honestly have no idea what Rod Graves does with his time. He’s a joke.

16. By Voice of Reason on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

And Darren — isn’t all of this hyperbole? Message boards, by their very nature, are hyperbole. Don’t dismiss comments as such just because you perceive them as negative and obviously have no positive spin you can put on it.

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

RE: Spin

Yes, much is hyperbole. But does everyone understand that? Sure sounded like that was being passed on as fact. Nothing to do with wanting to “spin” something. Every day one of you guys jump on Whisenhunt or whomever for something said that you feel is incorrect or wrong, which is fine. Don’t get all hurt when someone does it back.

I didn’t dismiss anything. First of all, I posted it. If I was this terrible censor looking to put on spin control, a heck of a lot of the things posted here would never be approved.

You want to argue, for example that Beanie should be starting, fine. I’d probably let it go without responding myself. But then he took it a step too far, and I called him on it. I’ve done it before, and I will do it again. If you are truly the “Voice of Reason” you should appreciate that.

18. By Scott on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

DERFY — those are some pretty strong words. Let me tell you what coaches wouldnt start Beanie. Mike Smith, John Harbaugh, John Fox, Eric Mangini, Eric Studesville, Gary Kubiak, Jack Del Rio, Todd Haley, Sean Payton, Tom Coughlin, Rex Ryan, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Mike Singletary (before Gores injury), Steve Spagnuolo, Jeff Fisher. AND THOSE ARE THE ONES I AM ONLY SURE OF. That is 16 out of 32 teams. Maybe a handful of other teams from the “probably would start for” half of the NFL wouldnt start him. I will be first to admit that i drink the Kool-Aid and have done so since I was 10, but dont be a homer. You dont play someone based on “cheers” like when Skleton came in and shame on the crowd for cheering for a guy coming onto the field when there is an injured Cardinal still on it. Did you see Tims 32 & 23 yard runs last week and his pass blocking? Thats why Beanie hasnt taken the starting job, as well as the fact that for the 5th time in two years he cant control the handoff.

19. By Judy on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Why can’t Wiz just say who the QB will be,barring injury in practice? That is exactly what makes the fans so mad at him.Do you think there is much of a chance that Bartel,or Anderson will start? If i pull my tickets off of the ticket exchange,and John Skelton doesn’t play i am going to be so pissed.

20. By Derfy on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

OK, Urban, perhaps I should have said, “Any other NFL coach with brains.”

21. By David C. on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what are the chances Whiz’s workout today could lead to a practice squad spot, or an invite to training camp next year?

22. By Kurt on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Remember Gary Hogeboom…
    things will get better

23. By MattAz on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Since we’re all linguistically piling on Darren, I’ll take issue with the choice of “struggling” to describe our team. A team struggles to reach .500 or so. I’d have chosen “failing”…

24. By Scott on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

VOICE OF REASON — The team knew it had QB issues 4 weeks into the year. They cant snap their fingers and have it all better. You must be one of the band wagon fans from the last 3 years or you would understand that. Who do you want to trade to get a QB when you are in week 4? Are you gonna trade Fitz & a pick? NO. Are you gonna trade DRC & a pick? NO. Dont get mad at Darren because he called someone out. Cards are in a tough spot. IF they were so lucky (or unlucky) to be in a position to draft A. Luck what do they do? Do they pass on him with faith in Skelton or do they draft him and miss out on the draft pick & BMAC they traded to get Skelton? They likely wont be in position to get Luck but what about Mallet? Besides what you said in your first comment is hyperbole, haha. Has anyone seen Brian Reagans “The empitome of hyperbole” skit? If you havent you have to watch it. Absolutely hilarious!

25. By Dallas Cardsfan on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

How come Whiz wasn’t worried about the QB’s getting enough reps behind Warner. And when they couldn’t just step in he is surprised. I have to officially say I don’t get it. This is nonssense about Bartel being ready.

No way is a QB any more prepared with a few more reps and NO game experience. Just work wiith him on the side and give 90% of the reps to Skelton.

IDIOT’S!

26. By Brett on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Umm is Bartel seriously wearing number 13??????? That’s sacrilegious!!!

27. By Brett on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

OK nevermind, took a better look and that’s Skelton.. Bartel will wear number 2 it appears.

28. By hawkeyerdinalfan on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I think the cardinals should pick stanzi for this years draft

29. By CardfAN4eveR on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren ok im not trying to just fantasise here but ive heard a lot about Indi trying to resign P.Manning ok so my question to you is..is he going to be a free agent if they dont reach a contract extension and if so could the cards try & sign him ? i mean the money is there they have been getting all there games sold out. thanks darren.

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Cardfan —

RE: Peyton

Please don’t take this the wrong way … but if this isn’t one of your fantasies, I would love to know what kind of fantasies you do have.

Peyton isn’t going anywhere.

31. By Jax on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, touche’ and just what I expected. I would have flown off and typed every expletive I could in response. Way to keep it real.

32. By ross on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

For the record, beanie shouldn’t be starting. He has been outplayed in all phases by hightower for two years now. The stats bear it out as does the number of blocks beanie has missed.

33. By Dave Cockfield on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Mannn. Well they did a Sports Science special on John Skelton when he was drafted (not that it means much), but he’s kinda fast & has a strong arm. But, regardless of who the QB is, if we can’t compete this last month Wiz should be on the hot seat… Luckily, there are some studs in the draft @ QB (Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet, etc…) so we’re good for the draft. & the way things are lookin, we’ll have yet another top 5 pick.

34. By Birdlegs on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Amazing that a BACKUP UFL QB with ZERO experience in the system is potentially going to start in a regular season game instead of our 5th round draft pick who has been here all season learning the system. Brilliant.

35. By brad oneill on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

COncussion test for derek anderson

complete 62% of passes
    look off a db
    error free handoff on first offensive play of game.

damn looks like he still has a concussion

36. By MattAz on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

If completing 62% of passes is a benchmark then DAs been playing with a concussion all year

37. By TucsonTim on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Andy –

Let’s hope the concussion tests include differential equations. Haven’t we seen enough of Anderson? For my hard earned money I’d rather see Breaston run the Wildcat.

38. By TBru on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Not only has Skelton been here all year and should know the system and the players, Isn’t he still the more experienced regular season NFL QB? Has Bartel ever played in a regular season game? Why is this a question?

39. By Nick Pepe on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren – not to sound pesimistic, but assuming DA is not cleared to play, who would be the emergency QB? If you have addressed this earlier I apologize.

And to alll those asking for him to name a starter, why tip your hand if you don’t have to. I know they are playing for pride at this point, but you still do everything you can to win. Some of the players, I would hope, are taking this skid personally and would love to see end.
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

40. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Emergency QB

I meant to ask that today. I will try to remember tomorrow.

41. By Big Red on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey cockfield, if Whiz should be on the hot seat, why don’t we just get rid of all the fans that can’t support a coach that took us to the SB and play-offs. Wake up an appreciate what we have. For so many years we where the laughing stock of the NFL. One season does not and I repeat myself, does not make us the worst team in the league. Perfect nobody is. Fans like you we don’t need.

42. By SeeingRed on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

U know what really irritates me (besides Whiz’s cloak and dagger style)? When radio commentators/writers (not u darren) say we have been spoiled the last 2 seasons…limping into the playoffs after getting smashed at the end of the regular season…up and down season last year…both ended with success but to say SPOILED is a bit of an overstatement…only in AZ would we call TWO good seasons spoiling…

43. By jdcrow59 on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

They can’t really be thinking about starting Bartel, can they? They said earlier that playing Skelton could ruin him.Then they play him and he shows a bit of potential.Now that he has had a taste I would think that being replaced by someone who has been here less than a week would mess with his mind more than making a few mistakes in a meaningless game.

44. By georgiebird on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Whiz’ arrogance will make his remaining time in AZ a miserable one.
    When Denny Green benched Josh McCown for Shaun King, I said he would never recover from this arrogant move-and he didn’t.
    Whiz’ failure to name Skelton as the QB with a degree of confidence and conviction will now doom him to a miserable existence in AZ. With the teams in the NFC West getting better, Whiz will never again be able to have the winning record necessary to make the fans forget his arrogant behavior.
    A good question to pose to the fans in gauging Whiz’ honeymoon period:
    Who was responsible for the teams excellent showing in 2008 & 2009
    1) Whiz
    2) Warner
    3) Haley and the other assistants
    4) players other than Warner

45. By Frustrated on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Seeing Red,

That is unless you are a Cub fan…

46. By georgiebird on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

To Seeing Red,
    It seems very few people realize that the Cardinals were in the NFC East for more than 40 years. During that time they knocked heads with the best teams in football (Giants, Cowboys, Redskins and Eagles). They competed with the lowest payroll, the worst practice facilities, shared a stadium with a baseball team and shared a college stadium, and had travel schedules as bad as any team in football.
    During that time, no one had any pity on the Cardinals. Now that the above conditions have changed for the better, people just want to focus on the last few years. It’s sad when people don’t have a sense of history.

47. By Voice of Reason on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren – a bit of an emotional reaction, which I did not expect from you.

I didn’t say anything about spin control or your ability to remove posts you don’t like. You are certainly fair in that regard. My only comment was that you accused a guy of “hyperbole” when you really didn’t have a team-positive comment to put on it (and with good reason, there really wasn’t any). The bottom line is that this season is lost because of MAJOR malfunction at the player personnel level.
    Which brings me to Scott’s point.

Scott – actually, just the opposite. I’ve had season tickets for 10 years, and have been going to games since the late 1980s. I was there when Buddy Ryan’s arrogance led to five wins, despite having household names at every defensive position. I ran onto the field with 30,000 other fans when Chris Jacke kicked the field goal that sent us to the playoffs in 1998. I also saw Jamir Miller and Lomas Brown walk after that year. So fair to say I’ve been around a while.

What happened this year — with the open knowledge that quarterback was a problem this year, in this division, should be unacceptable to the ownership of this team. In Week 4, you can bring in Jeff Garcia or Tim Rattay. You can offer up a fourth round pick (because the trade deadline hadn’t elapsed yet) for another team’s backup that would, day one, be better than anybody we have. To win this division this year, the Cards didn’t need Kurt Warner or someone great. They needed someone average. Marginal. What they had was atrocious.

Will now prognosticate here, but I do so safely — the following are examples of quarterbacks that would have won this division for the Cards (again, because the other teams are terrible):

Jason Campbell
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Matt Hasselbeck
    Troy Smith
    Shaun Hill
    Marc Bulger
    Kerry Collins
    Jeff Garcia
    Patrick Ramsay
    Rex Grossman
    …. to name a few.

All of the above are either free agents or could have been had for, at max, a 3rd round pick. Our last few third round picks have been: Buster Davis, Early Doucet, Rashad Johnson, Andre Roberts. Would you trade any of these guys for a fighting chance to win a bad division? Anybody who says they wouldn’t is still drinking the Rod Graves kool aid, and that cup should have been put down a long time ago.

48. By Brandon on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

If Bartel starts over Skelton-, who has been learning our system all year, I will officially lose all faith in Whiz as our coach. Would be the 2nd biggest injustice this year. Right after cutting Leinart for DA.

49. By #1cardsfan on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

EVERYBODY JUST NEEDS TO CHILL WE HAVE HAD A BAD YEAR SO WHAT EVERY BIG TEAM IN THE NFL GOES TROUGH BAD SEASONS WE WILL BOUNCE BACK NEXT YEAR AND WIN THE NFC WEST AS FOR WHO THE STARTING QB THIS WEEKEND WHIZ WILL MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR SOME REASON HIS AN NFL COACH I HAVE A LOT OF FAITH IN HIM CARDS WILL FINISH THE SEASON STRONG ONLY TRUE CARDS FANS STAND BEHIND COACH AND THE TEAM THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK DARREN