Cards (tailgaters) at the Super Bowl

Posted by Darren Urban on February 3, 2011 – 9:26 am

Right about now — assuming Dallas hasn’t frozen over — the 20 Cardinals fans who comprise the Arizona House of Cards are taking part as one of six teams in the Bing National Tailgating Championship during Super Bowl festivities. The contest is about food, sports trivia, “athletic feats” and team spirit. They will vie against teams from Houston, New York, Denver, New Orleans and Seattle.

House of Cards does it up right at University of Phoenix Stadium, with gourmet food, satellite TV and a full bar. Dishes like chipotle-glazed shrimp and grilled pork tenderloin are aimed to help the group — which drove more than 20 hours through the famously bad weather to reach the final today — come home with the title.

Tags:

9 Responses to “Cards (tailgaters) at the Super Bowl”

1. By Donna Bennett on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

One the Super Bowl isn’t in Dallas. It’s in Arlington which is right our of Ft. Worth.
    Dallas won’t let them build the new stadium in their town. So the Dallas Cowboys are in Arlington and Ft. Worth. Which is about 50 miles west of Dallas.
    And we are frozen over with a warm up on it’s way. So they say.
    But I am not a Cowboy fan and for one am glad the boys didn’t make it to the big game. We would never hear the end from Jerry World if they did.

2. By Shooter on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Seen those guys. Pretty good, but I have seen a couple other groups that do a better job…

Either way, best of luck.

3. By Kali on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

GOOD LUCK HOUSE OF CARDS!!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

4. By Rugbymuffin on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Not Surprised.

When I traveled out to AZ from NJ for a game two years ago, I was completely blown away at how great the tailgating at UoP is.

Better than any East Coast team’s stadium I visited.

Congrats and well deserved.

PS – Not to mention how nice, generous, and inviting everyone was. That trip is still one of the best times of my life.

Lesson to the lockout happy NFL that this league is more than money.

5. By Scott H on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Looks like fun! Are they accepting applications??? I make AWESOME home-made buffalo wings…

6. By Andrew Pardue on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

at least we can win some kind of title this year!!!!!

LOL!!!!

7. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

It would be nice if they could cook up a Defensive Coordinator that can handle a bunch of hot dogs and cheese balls, while not using a Pennsylvania recipe.

8. By Sir Whirly on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

@Donna- Sure is a lot making a mountain out of a molehill. Even though the stadium is in Arlington, most people in the Metroplex will say they are from Dallas. I should know, I live there, was raised here and have spent most of my life here.(lol even though I am a Cardinals fan.) So that is not even an issue, I mean hell, the first stadium was in Irving. That’s not Dallas. Hell, the only time they played IN Dallas was back in the 60’s at the Cotton Bowl.

9. By Arizona House of Cards on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for all the support! It was a great event and other than the grueling drive to Fort Wroth it was a great time. We fell short on the parking lot athletics so we did not come home with the Golden Grill. On a side note, our 9 year old Super Bowl expert tied the winning team on the Super Bowl trivia part of the contest. That means four grown men got beat by a 9 year old!!