Yes, there’s a draft party

Posted by Darren Urban on April 14, 2011 – 8:45 am

For those asking, there will be a draft party this year, run in conjunction with the first Big Red Rib and Music Festival out by University of Phoenix Stadium. The draft party — for which admission is free — will be out on the Great Lawn, with gates opening at 4 p.m. TV coverage from the NFL Network will be shown beginning at 4:30 p.m. and the party goes until 9 p.m. This will all be April 28, the Thursday night of the first round of the draft. The actual draft begins at 5 p.m., and the Cards — assuming they don’t make a trade and remain at No. 5 — should be picking about 5:45 or so. For more info, call 602-379-0101.

Tags:

16 Responses to “Yes, there’s a draft party”

1. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Is there any realistic chance of a trade at 5? Kiper said yesterday that Carolina would love to trade down to the Cards slot, but with the #1 being worth 3,000 and Arizona’s 1700(?) what else would have to be included to make it work? And with no clear cut top echelon player, would the Cards want to?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Trade

There is always a chance at a trade, but I would be surprised if it was up. Maybe down, but I agree, I’m not sure given the circumstances, anyone is going to be anxious to trade up in this draft. Too many unknowns out there.

3. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

What would be the possible scenario in trading down? IMO, it would have to be a team that is infatuated with Newton/Gabbert, if available. I don’t see a team wanting to trade up to take Peterson, Miller or Dareus. Thoughts?

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Trade ideals

Your thought process makes sense. Again, I think a lot of teams wouldn’t mind trading down this year. I think Carolina would love to trade out of the No. 1 spot. But like you said, who wants to go up?

5. By Joeshmo on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

You happen to know information on parking? Where? How Much?

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Joeschmo —

RE: Parking

It is free and at the stadium.

7. By Andy on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

A few thoughts on the draft party that you might pass along to the powers that be. My wife and I attended the draft party in the stadium the year that DRC was selected. While we had a good time, and it was cool being at the stadium while it was going on, it was actually very hard to follow the draft. The sound on the NFL network wasn’t up very loud, so it was tough to hear what was happening. I don’t have the ideal solution, but it’d be nice if there was some way to be at the party and still be able to follow the draft beyond a surface level. While I really appreciate the team throwing a free draft party, I’m probably just going to stay home and watch it on TV, b/c it’s easier to actually follow what’s going on.

8. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

I see where Cards OL Cliff Louis signed with the AFL to supplement his income.
    Darren, do you foresee anyone other than a future contract player relegating himself to playing in the AFL, UFL or CFL if the lockout elongates?
    And speaking of the CFL, do you think Stevie Baggs will give another shot with the Cards given the need at OLB?

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Other leagues/Baggs

I didn’t see that with Louis. Not surprising though. He’d be a long, long shot to make the team anyway. No, I don’t think Baggs is an option.

10. By Jeff Gollin on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

How about expanding the concept of a draft party to a “cyber-party” forum or chat-room during all or part of the draft.

One suggested possible feature – Within a short period prior to each expected Cardinal selection (i.e. thirty-minutes or one-hour) fans would be invited to submit their suggestion as to whom the Cards should select.

Then leave the forum results up for the next several days so we could see which of us knew what they were talking about and which of us turned out to be clueless.

11. By This Guy on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

A lot of people have been talking about not watching the draft to kinda boycott the NFL until they get a deal done (myself included) , So my question is do you think that this would affect the party or are we the fans just too addicted to football to really do anything to really affect the billionaires?

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

This Guy —

RE: Party

There is going to be a party. Beyond that, I don’t know how it will turn out.

13. By Darren on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

What do you think of this trade? Our 5 and 38 slots and Breaston for Palmer and their 4 slot and a 3rd or 4th round pick. They get value for Palmer and a #2 (maybe a #1 WR) We get a proven QB and still get Patterson and Deucet can step up.

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren —

RE: Trade idea

Breaston can’t be dealt until he is under contract. And I don’t see how the cards can afford to not have a second-round pick. We have to see if Palmer gets traded too.

15. By Darren on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

oops! did not know that Breaston was not signed. Do you think he get a “real” offer” from the team, or will they just let him go?

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren —

RE: Breaston

I would think they will be in the mix.