For Tillman, out there doing

Posted by Darren Urban on April 16, 2011 – 10:12 am

The last person I’d ever connect to a corporation’s slogan is Pat Tillman. But knowing what I know/knew about Pat, and while out taking part in the annual Pat’s Run this morning, it was hard not to think “Just Do It.”

There were something like 28,000 people out around Arizona State taking part, and that’s just the Arizona version of the event. But in the spirit of Pat, running 4.2 miles isn’t what it is all about. It’s getting out and doing something, anything, that makes you push yourself to something you wouldn’t normally do. Doesn’t have to be athletic/exercise-related. Get out of your comfort zone. Again, push yourself. That’s the best way to honor Tillman, who — whether it was getting to the NFL, taking part in triathlons or joining the military — was always pushing himself.

Just do it.

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “For Tillman, out there doing”

1. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

I’m envious. Good for you.
    Darren, did you best Whiz in time?
    When I was watching the coverage this morning, could have sworn I saw a quick glimpse of a person watching from atop the light posts.
    Nah, must have been the Sun rising.

2. By Scharf on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

Well written Darren – this is a good piece on Tillman that will honor his unique personality, I’m going to go do something I wouldn’t normally do just because of this. Thanks!

Also – Just out of curiosity, (besides the background crowd) who is in this picture? I can see you, Coach Whiz, but kneeling next to the Mascot looks to be Matt Ryan. lol.

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2011 | Reply

Scharf —

RE: Photo

The three gentlemen in the back holding the flag are our flag runners. “Matt Ryan” is Scott Gavin. In the middle row, (l to r) are Andy Levy, Sheldon Caldwell-Meeks, Mark Dalton, Dan Nettles, Coach Whisenhunt, Orlando Avila and, just in front of me, Tim DeLaney.

4. By Mr.Dylan on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

So i heard from my mother someone died during the pat tillman run?

did you hear anything about it?

5. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Dylan —

RE: run tragedy

No, I hadn’t heard that.

6. By Alex Robertson (Boundplaya) on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

That wouldn’t happen to be TV’s Andy Levy, would it, Darren?

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

Alex —

RE: Andy Levy

If Andy is on TV, I don’t know about it. Andy is the man who keeps University of Phoenix Stadium’s turf looking pristine.

8. By ross on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

Great article (the link), Darren.

9. By Mr.Dylan on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren- My mom said she was running along and saw a guy fall and hit his head and a cop ran over and started doing chest compressions… and they gave up after like 15 mins when the paramedics pronounced him dead..

love the run but people need to be more aware about heat stroke and exhaustion R.I.P to that guy

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Dylan —

RE: Fatality

Wow. I didn’t know that.

11. By RelayTV on Apr 17, 2011 | Reply

God bless the Mighty Pat Tillman!

12. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

I see in Peter King’s MMQB he will run in next year’s Tillman Run. This is the same guy who thinks and is a HOF voter that Pat should not be included, even as a contributor. His work on the field wasn’t worthy alone, but was his legacy enough to have a bust made? (And we all know what Pat would say.)
    Also, Somers has a vote. Have you ever asked him his thoughts?

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Tillman/HOF

I have not asked Kent his thoughts on Pat in the Hall of Fame. I suppose this is not going to come across well — and obviously, I write about Tillman’s legacy often — but in my opinion Pat is not a Hall of Fame football player. If you want to put in a display telling his story, I get that (and I believe that actually has been done). But as a player, he was what he was, a fringe starter and good special teamer that worked hard. To me, that isn’t enough to make it to the Hall of Fame.

You may commence with criticism.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

Actually,Darren, I agree with you. While in a perfect world Tillman would be a more morally correct choice than say, Lawrence Taylor, his on field play doesn’t merit a selection. But I was thinking more of a general contributor, kinda like Sabol’s selection this year. I mean without the selfless dedication of himself and officers like him, this board may not be possible.
    And I wasn’t aware of the Canton display already in place.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Tillman display

Tillman display

16. By Ryan Reed on Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

This was my first experience with Pat’s Run and I volunteered for 4 days. I got the privilage to work in the VIP tent for the Tillman family and guests. I really had the urge to ask Jake Plummer to come out of retirement, but I restrained. Kevin Tillman couldn’t thank us enough for everything we had done to put the run together and I immediately liked him. They are such well rounded people and so grateful for everything. There was just a tremendous amount of positive energy all over the place.