Chemistry of Fitz and Kolb

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2011 – 3:01 pm

They sit next to each other in meetings and talk in practice when Larry Fitzgerald has a break — you know, since Kevin Kolb can’t practice until Thursday because of league rules. Considering they can’t do everything they need to do together, they are building chemistry the best they can.

“He’s trying to get me some things I don’t want to do,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s a dipper, a chewer and he tries to get me to put a little inside my lip. I won’t do it. I heard it makes you throw up.

“But we’re having fun. He’s learning. He’s the son of a coach and always looking at film. He’ll call you up and ask, ‘I’m looking at this play, what are you thinking?’ And I’m like, ‘Kevin, I’m sleeping.’ But that’s him, he wants to be great.”

Kolb chuckles at the last anecdote and the idea he’s up at all hours watching video — “He’s a liar, but I appreciate him taking up for me,” Kolb said — but the quarterback is doing whatever he can to be ready as soon as he can.

“We’re spending a lot of time on it,” Kolb said. “I’m not naïve enough to think I don’t have a lot of work to do.”

There is clearly a mutual admiration society going on already, and, save for the couple of days Kolb stayed with Fitz in the offseason — during baseball’s all-star weekend in Phoenix, when Kolb threw with Fitzgerald — it’s based on the idea of playing together rather than actually playing together.

“He’s going to make my life a lot easier,” Fitzgerald said.

Said Kolb, “He’s made two or three catches where, I’ve been here, what, 48 hours and I am already expecting when the ball goes up he’s going to make the catch every time. It’s almost unfair to him.”

The two were talking shop on the sideline Monday, with Fitz trying to explain to Kolb how he liked to run a certain route (pictured below). Fitz loves to point out that the best QB-WR combinations are the ones who have been together for a while, like Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne, or Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson. Clearly, Kolb-to-Fitz can’t be there yet, but — assuming Fitz re-signs — there is the potential of that development. In the meantime, the duo will keep talking about football, since it’s all they can do.

“It helps to a certain extent,” Kolb said. “The thing I love about the way coaches run things here, it’s kind of an open discussion. Fitz and I are picking each other brains, how we like to do things. The next step is just getting out there and completing the ball to one another.”

Tags: ,

47 Responses to “Chemistry of Fitz and Kolb”

1. By jfdominianni on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

That was an encouraging story…..it sure seems like we are blessed with two guys who really want to become a great combination on a winning team. The more I hear about Kolb the better I like him. I have a GOOD feeling about the upcoming season

2. By Dan263305 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m a grown man, and I am going to cry if Kevin Kolb turns out to be a flop.

3. By Chad on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Is this stupid “veteran’s can’t practice” going to happen every year??? Is there some mandatory “wait” process after any FA signs with the new CBA or something?

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Chad —

RE: Wait time

This is strictly because of the craziness of the offseason. Players can’t play unless they have a contract. New contracts can’t kick in until the new league year. The new league year can’t start because the new CBA is not yet finalized (believe it or not, they are still talking about things like drug testing, conduct policy, etc). It’s a one-time thing.

5. By brad oneill on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

awww true bromance!!! Now do you think bartel and Kolb can talk fitz into hunting pigs with a knife. that is a team building exercise.

6. By Ben on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

DRC who??? I am loving this season already, get your popcorn ready!!!

I could never do your job Urban, I am just way to hot and cold. On Wednesday of last week I was ready to pull my DTV Superfan account. This week I am all smiles feeling as giddy as a school girl.

Your composure is amazing Urb.

P.S. Can we call you Urb?

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Ben —

RE: “Urb”

I’ve been called a lot worse. Sometimes on this very comment board.

8. By jocards on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

They are saying all the right things and it sounds good to me! I’m getting more excited at the prospect of the upcoming season by the day. This is a winnable division but the team still has to improve dramatically from their showing last season in order to do it. The QB situation will certainly be better and that should go a long way toward bringing a few more wins. I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

9. By LAPer on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I was’nt excited when I read we wanted Kolb for our new QB. But the more I read about him the more excited I get. He seem to have everything I could want. His dad was a coach and has taught him every thing about football since childhood. He is physicaly able, and has the smarts and desire to do the job, and is totaly happy to be here to do the job. I can’t wait to see him in action. I beleive once he learns our system he will become agreat leader and a star.

10. By Brian R. on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Im pumped!!! Lets go Cardinals!!! Sign Larry to a VERY-LONG term deal!!! Wooo!!!!!!

11. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Listened to Graves on the radio, does not sound like we are going to get a wide receiver unless it is a smoking deal. 🙁

12. By Nick on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

The biggest thing I took away from this article is that Kolb chews. Gross! Even still, glad to have you with us, Kevin. Looking forward to seeing you, Fitz, Wells and the boys kick some ass.

13. By LAPer on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

As to the chemistry Between Kolb and Fitz? I don’t beleive it will be a proplem. From the roperts it seems both are equal in there desires for the Cardnals to be the best. If leading by example is good. We should be amoung the very best.

14. By J-BIRD on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

This QB/ WR duo should go down as one of the best in NFL history

15. By Scott H on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Sure is nice to be going into a season knowing who your QB will be and believing that he really is the right man for the job. Going through what we went through last year with the “battle” between Anderson and Leinart was just SOOOO painful. Both of them looked terrible and the way the whole thing was handled by the coaches…again, just painful. Oh…and it’s also nice to know that Derek Anderson will NOT be our QB this year!

Good to hear that they are looking to settle the issue with Fitz and get his next contract done. BUT while I want Fitz to be happy for the future, this team still needs another WR RIGHT NOW!!! Braylon Edwards is still out there…Malcom Floyd is still out there…someone needs to complement Fitz and it ain’t gonna be Chansi Stuckey. It’s not really gonna be Todd Heap, either. The offense looks good but it will not be complete until they add another WR. I have to think even they know that. Edwards could be THE difference between solid and explosive for this team. It’s right there for them and if they don’t get this done, there are no excuses. They will have done some but they will not have done enough.

16. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Is Roberts fast enough to be a #2?

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

ProSports —

RE: Roberts speed

He is not the prototypical burner.

18. By tom on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

he better not get cancer and ruin this team!

19. By BobF on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Is it Thursday yet?

20. By Carlo7000 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Dear darren i know the First day of Camp all players had the weight in so i can you update the weights of players on the site?

21. By tom on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

darren,

are all the preseason games televised? please say yes!

22. By soares20 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

please cards just one more solid reciever…just…one…more and I will be so happy with the offseason!!!!

23. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

As long as Kolb can keep younger brother Marcus happy, the relationship will be well.

24. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

we need to push for edwards

25. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Get Braylon c’mon. Start at least at 5-7 mil per and if they want a lil more get close to 10 a year. This is a number #1 receiver you are talking about. C’mon Cardinals, don’t blow this. 5-7 mil should get him donning cardinal red.

26. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Get Braylon whatever it takes.

27. By Jim in Missouri on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I don’t know if this fits anywhere else and I am not yet on Twitter (where you are freaking prolific, by the way), but I read where a couple members of Braylon Edwards’ group had a run-in at a Detroit restaurant, allegedly assaulting employees with silverware, leaving 1 with a 14-stitch wound after being slashed with a knife. Edwards apparently went Twitter-stupid afterward, then claimed someone stole his password and posted Tweets that weren’t from him.

This should officially close the book on any pursuit of Edwards from the Cardinals, shouldn’t it?

28. By Jerry on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope Fitz remembers that there are other QBs, not to be locked on Kolb. Darren, isnt there still competition during preseason to find out who will be the starting QB

29. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

How about we wait until Thursday to see Kevin practice for the first time and maybe let him get a couple of weeks under his belt before we make him king of the desert. He hasn’t thrown one pass yet let alone handed the ball off. He has to learn a new playbook. This is not going to be so simply. I’m hoping he can absorb more of the playbook and have a good command of the offense by the start of the regular season. Fitz, I’m not worried about. He will be taken care of. Even he knows it. He knows the offense. I’m hoping the O-line can gel and Beanie Baby comes to play. Edwards seems like the right guy but no one knows exactly what the front office is thinking. I’m for either Edwards, Floyd or Smiith. I’m sure the front office will address it in the coming weeks. Still some question marks on the defensive side of the ball. Remember, Horton is a first time coordinator and we still have holes to fill on the defense. Although I am extremely excited about the moves the front office have made so far, they still have more work to do. 5-11 is unacceptable. Another year like that and everyone will be calling for Graves and Whiz’s heads. I like the fact that the front office is focussing on Fitz now and I understand why his deal wont get done until Aug 4th. The big question for me now is, what are they planning next. Who is the next piece to the puzzle. Great job so far but still a long way to go. DRC and Big Tim. I hated to see you go, but if your sacrifice is going bring us a solid team and the NFC West title, then I am all for it.

30. By beauchamp on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

No don’t throw money at edwards. Market is for buyers so wrap up fitz and then grab one of the free agents left. Steve smith, malcom floyd, and braylon edwards are all solid and there’s others not on the radar. Look at this year. So many free agents even Bradshaw and Ronnie Brown have no team yet. Everyone relax. Fitz deal will be done soon then a few signings of whomever we feel will compliment the team. Market sucked last year its not the same now so woosah!

Urban when are you gonna get some more limelight Wolf and Paul wont let u get some radio time? Let’s hear some Urban legends this fall… feel free to use that zinger got plenty more.

31. By Slim on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

News flash: PFT is reporting another segment of “Braylon Edwards and the law”. So who’s next on the list of #2 wideouts?

32. By Jeff on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

How will the Cards win this year? Kolb passes the ball every time to fitz. We win.

33. By Brad on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren, is Peterson def going to wear no. 31? I thought he wanted 21, will he pay out Abdullah to get the 21 or is he sticking with 31?

34. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

This is looking encouraging so far. Good tandemns usually work best when they pick eacn others brains. But they need to practice together, get that chemistry going. Thats the only way that they can really make this thing happen. But why do I see other folks already practicing and no one has said anything?

35. By NYCARDSFAN on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Good morning Darren. I was just reading that the Cards likely have close to 24 million left under the cap. What positions are left to be filled and do we have any money left to “Splurge” on a star? Have a good day!

36. By R. Knox on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Kolb dipping and chewing! Somebody please talk to him about oral cancers caused by using chewing tobacco.

37. By georgiebird on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Ben Patrick to the Giants announced on Monday

38. By cardsalltheway on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Are you catching up on your Zzzz? With the recent WR Edwards stupid tweet, let me say as I’ve done before that Chansi Stuckey and Co. can get it done as No. 2 and 3 WR’s. Every good player(s) must start somewhere/sometime or have their break out season. If anyone compares our WR core to the Patriots I think ours is better. It’s our WR core time, our WR’s can step up and play(barring injuries and if the coaches coach). These guys can get it done…Curry-Chapman, Daiveun, Doucet, Early, Fitzgerald, Larry, Jeffcoat, Sean, Komar, Max, Nichols, Aaron, Roberts, Andre, Sampson, DeMarco, Stuckey, Chansi, Williams, Stephen.
    Let’s go Cardinal receivers!!! Why am I such a negative fan?

39. By Earl BB on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Hay Darren,
    you must be the best source of info because im wacthing nFL network and that micheal limbardie guy says he has not heard of any talks with any teams with B Edwards, so where is this info coming from, and im not questioning your source at all just really excited to see if this goes down or not?

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Everyone, it’s Darren. There is something wrong with the reply part of the blog tool so I am having issues replying to questions. I am not ignoring you. Have patience.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

QUESTIONS ANSWERED (because of the computer problems):

1) RE: Braylon. Yes, this latest law enforcement issue would raise red flags with me. Is it less likely to happen? Would seem to me, yes. And it wasn’t a lock in the first place.

2) RE: Preseason TV. Road games on TV. Home games have to be sold out just like regular season.

3) Cap/FAs. As Rod said yesterday, Fitz is next up for money and front-office attention.

42. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Free agent WR Malcom Floyd still has a “slim chance” of re-signing with the Chargers, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.Floyd’s market has been slow to develop because his agent is reportedly seeking a contract in the neighborhood of $5 million per season. Beat writer Kevin Acee suspects Floyd will ultimately settle for half of that, which is still too rich for the Chargers’ taste. Jul 31, 6:43 PMSource: San Diego Union-Tribune

43. By cahongisto on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

darren:

Please pass this along to mr.graves haha
    So in thinking about this rumor that we have shown interest in braylon edwards might i suggest a shift in philosphy and who our set target is. I suggest Randy Moss for your consideration, i know that name seems shocking in someways but expected in other ways. The reason I suggest this and what your sales pitch to him should be. one his first year with a new qb is always his best. Tom brady in new england year one they set records randall cunningham in minnesota they set records. two he hasnt shared the field with another elite receiver since chris carter and fitz is a chris carter clone thats better and will make randy’s job be catch 25 touchdowns this year. three you have todd heap to take even more pressure off and make this offense the most dangerous in the nfc. four the cardinals play in a weak division and most games youll be resting the second half well be up so big. fifth and final note is simply this team is hungry fitz wants a ring and guys like darnell dockett who is very john randall like make it so youll have a great atmosphere to play in… I know you like fishing and living a quieter country lifestyle randy so we suggest living in northern phoenix and heading up to prescott and flagstaff on by weeks or if you want a quick trip to the lake… so yeah darren there is my sales pitch to mr.graves and randy moss if you just wanna forward it to both maybe do some slight editting work it would be greatly appreciated haha… have a good one man

44. By Reo on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

A one/two seasons @ 3 mil for Floyd would be better than the same contract for Edwards. I like the Steve Smith deal better, either one.

45. By cards62 on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Idiot Edwards DUI, Probation for assault and now this. I wanted Edwards, but guys how can we go after him? I would now rather have TO or Moss or Steve Smith, but especially M. Floyd from San Diego. I think he is worth 6 to 7 million on a two year deal.

My biggest problem with Kolb right now is Brandon Keith on one side and Levi Brown on the other side.

Go Cards

46. By Scott H on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Jerry –

Really…do you think the Cardinals traded DRC AND a 2nd round draft pick for Kolb so he could compete for the starting job??? Answer – NO!!! He is the starter, period. I know it, he knows it, Fitz knows it. Apparently, the only person who doesn’t know it is you.

47. By metlwiz on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Hi all.. Im from the philly area and have been an Eagles fan all my life. Kevin Kolb got a real bad deal with the Eagles. The first 2 years he was stuck behind the most overatted QB of all time. Then as fast as he was annointed the starter by his coach( Fat Boy i cant ever be right on a challenge, Reid) he plays a half gets a concussion and the Mike Vick story Begins.. Let me tell you all, i just got my ARIZONA cardnal tees and hats in the mail yesterday….. This kid KOLB is going to amaze you all.. All you fantasy people’s first 2 pics sould be Kolb & Fitzgerald. Lets Go CARDS