Some lunchtime reading material UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2011 – 12:25 pm

UPDATE: Because of rain, afternoon practice has been moved inside, and because of construction, fans are not allowed to attend.

Kevin Kolb just did his first training camp press conference and coach Ken Whisenhunt talked too. The big talk now is the push to get Larry Fitzgerald’s contract done, and of course, Kolb and Whiz want nothing more than that, and Kolb smiled when he was asked if suddenly the shoe is on the other foot — and after a summer of Fitz trying to let Kolb know he wanted Kolb in Arizona, now Kolb need to make sure Fitz stays.

— Despite the fact Kolb can’t practice until Thursday and will have something like five practices before the preseason opener, Kolb said he definitely wants to play in Oakland Aug. 11. We will see if that happens. It hasn’t come up yet with Whisenhunt. “I don’t care if I make 15 mistakes in a row if I am getting better,” Kolb said, noting that he just wants to be ready for Carolina (and maybe Derek Anderson, who is going to sign with the Panthers) in Week One.

— Whisenhunt said he was going to keep an open mind about cornerback Patrick Peterson starting Week One. But I would doubt it. Even in this crazy offseason, starting a rookie — if he can avoid it — isn’t Whiz’s favorite thing.

— Noting the chance to be the No. 1 running back “is something he wanted,” Whisenhunt said Beanie Wells is “the guy.” But “to say this is a make or break season is a little premature.”

— Finally, Kolb knows he’s falling behind because he can’t practice. “By the time I get in there, I will be eight or 10 installs behind,” he said, adding “I’m not naive enough to think I don’t have a lot of work to do.”

Tags: , , , ,

40 Responses to “Some lunchtime reading material UPDATE”

1. By Jesse Robles on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals are so dope. I’m pumped!!!

2. By tom on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

darren,

are you gonna have these press conferences up? i would really like to see them.

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: Pressers

We won’t just be sticking full pressers up every day. They need to have something special going on for that. We will be putting up key parts in the daily video report. Audio will be on iTunes however.

4. By bluepitt on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

h crap Wells is “the guy.” And I liked Wells!!! Who do yo think will get him Darren? The Texons? hahahahahahahahaha Leinart was “the guy.” As well!!! HAHAHA

5. By seven q on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

darren

If we were to get Braylon Edwards, Do you belive it would be sooner whather then later? giving the fact that we are focusing on Fitz contract? Do you belive we would have to sighn fitz to an extention first before we could add another wideout? or could we get it done before we are done wit fitz??… Sorry for the interview!

6. By rramirez on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Can you explain the rule that requires such a long gap between the Kolb trade and when is cleared to practice? As a fan its infuriating.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Ramirez —

RE: Aug 4 rule

The league wants the CBA fully in place before starting the league year. The league year has to start for these new contracts to kick in. Aug. 4 is the CBA deadline. So until then, contracts — and the players — are in limbo.

8. By Cardinal J on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

So explain to me; If the rule is that Free Agents, and Traded players cannot practice until Augest 4th, why have I seen DRC already in an Eagles helmet wearing practice gear, and a new number? Also seen Ochocinco already in Patriots gear. What’s Up with that?

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Cardinal J —

RE: More Aug. 4

Also, if you were traded but didn’t re-do your deal, you are OK. If you restructured, you must sit.

10. By John the draft guy on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren, a couple of questions;

1. Do you read anything into Graves comments ? When contract talks hit the media from Graves, he usually is trying to get something across.

2. Giants are looking to trade Osi. Any thoughts? it seems like he’s the only guy out there that could improve our pass rush, I know they are asking a first rounder, but lets face it, with him we could have a shot at the 32nd pick in round one. 🙂

3. Everyone wants Edwards. I have mixed feelings. He has always come off as a selfish type player. He has only had 1000 yds once in his career. Big name but is he a bigtime player? Your thoughts.

4. Finally, our 7th round pick Sampson has been having a couple good days at camp. Whiz says be cautious before you go crazy about him. Lets see in a couple of weeks but there is a buzz right now. He entered camp a long shot, but could fight his way on to the roster and up the depth chart. Are you hearing anything about the kid?

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: questions

1. Yes, I read into them that the Cards want to get Larry signed to an extension soon. Not sure what else you would read.
    2. No. Not going to happen.
    3. I think Edwards, for the right price, would help this team.
    4. Fitz really likes how he plays. That means something.

12. By Brian on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, if the cards do seriously pursue Braylon Edwards do you think it would happen by the end of this week?

13. By Chuck 1 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure that I’m not the only one who thinks that Whiz’ comment that “Beanie is “the guy” is de ja vu all over again.
    Can anyone say Matt Leinart?

14. By UK Card on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Oh Man! I wouldn`t want to take the field Wk 1 if i was D.A talk about been under pressure!

15. By Jake McArthur on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Derek Anderson AKA DA AKA 3 and Out signed with another team?!?! Call me crazy, But wow.

16. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    Besides Edwards are the Cards looking at Floyd from SD or any other CB’s or LB’s???

17. By John the draft guy on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    What I meant about “reading into Graves ” was , is there a stall or problem in the negotiations so Graves took to the airways? Or is it just him saying, we want Fitz.

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Fitz

I think he just wants everyone to know — Fitz included — that they haven’t forgotten about what is the most important player. I’m sure it doesn’t hurt to let Fitz know they want to get this done, either. You promise him a huge contract, on the heels of all the additions, and do it publicly, it’s tougher for Fitz to say no.

19. By seven q on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

🙁 you answered theirs and not minez?

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Seven q —

RE: Questions

Sorry. But I’m not answering the same stuff over and over anymore.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Seven —

RE: Questions

If you can ask me realistic questions, I can answer, but I am not in the front office. As I said before, they are paying attention to Edwards. The rest is guessing.

22. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Ok, wow. Thats all I can say about this and how I think the Cards are handleing this free agency. Some serious moves indeed! Now lets get Fitz signed and go win us some football games!!!!!

23. By Jorge on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

My Friends and I drove up today for practice and are hanging out at a local bar. We were wondering If practice has been moved into the dome, and if so can fans attend? Thanks Urb

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Jorge —

As I just posted, practice is inside. And no, fans cannot come. Sorry.

25. By Steve Garner on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Is there really any truth behind the idea that Patrick Peterson will not be starting!?!?
    How can you trade DRC without knowing that the rookie you drafted is going to be your starter? Kolb maybe a huge upgrade from Anderson, but if he is constantly playing catch up because our corners are letting a bunch of big plays take place, it is going to be a long season.

26. By D on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

if they are looking for a #2 without the baggage could look at Steve Smith

27. By brad oneill on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

on the fitz talk- first of all it would be silly to do a deal before the aug 4th period because then larry would be sitting out of practice unnecessarily.

second I believe that their strategy may be lets give larry everything we can this year since we have to spend it anyway lets get him paid up front while we still have some cap room so we can have future moneys for future needs.

I don’t think the message was to larry, i think graves was talking directly to braylon edwards. Edwards has a great opportunity to play for a contender in arizona opposite larry fitzgerald so he will get balls. he can push his numbers and next year with no more legal trouble he should be able to cash a huge check somewhere in free agency. I think this would work out great for all parties involved.

28. By Tbru on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Curious as to why they redid Kolb’s contract, they made the trade he had a contract. Obviously he needs to work with the first unit, they should have waited on a new contract until they had the green light.

What happens if all the I’s aren’t dotted and all the T’s crossed on August 4th? Could we have another shutdown?

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Tbru —

RE: Contract for Kolb

My guess is that there was no way Kolb’s people were going to say, “OK, he can practice a full week under his old deal and risk getting hurt.”

As far as the deadline, gosh I hope not.

30. By Earl BB on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I realy like all the moves the cards have made so far, but i really think that we need to replace DRC, so why havent we loked into the Asante Samuel trade with Philly it only makes sense we be able to cover out there, and one other free agent i think along with Samuel tha would push us over the hump to be NFC West winners again will be Osi, cant have enough pass rush, right?

31. By cards62 on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren – thank you for all of your hard work, and yes I have another favor to ask you.
    Any way you can give us a daily update on our Cardinals salary cap room?

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: salary cap room

You’re probably not going to get a monthly update, much less daily.

That info is usually not simple to track down.

33. By Brian R. on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Its just preseason. No stress, they’re practice games. Sign Fitz to a deal ASAP! (Dont allow him to be disappointed like Anquan, keep the MAN happy. He WANTS to be in ARI!!!)

34. By JTO on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

did they bring back gabe watson? are there any backup NTs right now?

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

JTO —

RE: Watson

Not yet. But they need someone to be a backup NT, most glaring spot right now.

36. By CJ on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

darren ill answer steve garners question for you, its because first off whiz is not comfortable starting rookies. secondly, its healthier for him to sit behind Toler and Marshall until he adjusts to the speed of the game thirdly it takes some pressure off him to perform right away and will allow him to ease into his position more smoothly, plus if he performs well ull see him starting by the end of the season and if i was coa h whiz, i would do the same thing

37. By BIG RED on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

I just hope Coach Whiz is honest, if John Skelton beat out Kolb in pre-season and start John.

38. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 1, 2011 | Reply

Can’t Bryan Robinson play NT? Or is he considered not coming back?
    And I still say a pass rushing OLB is a greater concern to me than backup NT or 2nd WR.

39. By Matt on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know why everyone is so hot on Braylon Edwards. Yes, he has some skills, but he also just finished pleading guilty to DUI, and was involved in a fight where a guy got cut up with a knife in the kitchen of a restaurant. I understand that the Cardinals are looking for playmakers, but do you really want to bring a guy like that onto the team and into the valley? There has to be a better option.

40. By Gilbert Card on Aug 2, 2011 | Reply

Here is my prediction: This season, Beanie Wells turns out to be the overrated running back he has previously shown to be. He will get hurt during pre-season or simply will not deliver. Cards then will have no other choice but to send rookie Williams to war, alternating with the Hyphen. Only good thing from this is that Williams will have a chance to show what he can do, and I have a good gut feeling about Williams, yes, it is too soon to talk, but I think he actually may end up being the main back for the Cards. Time will tell. I really hope my prediction crumbles, but if not and Beanie turns out not to be “The Guy”, I just wish our remaining running backs do not take the toll or get injured due to work overload. There goes the “crowded” backfield statement that we solve by trading TH. Hey, maybe Tim Hightower fails his physical exam with the Skins and we also bring him back for a year 🙂