Notes from the President

Posted by Darren Urban on August 3, 2011 – 8:02 am

Team president Michael Bidwill attended practice Wednesday and briefly met with the media during his stay.

— On the flurry of moves by the team and the effort to overhaul the roster: “We knew we had a great opportunity in a short window when the Collective Bargaining Agreement was finished. We knew we wanted to step in and be aggressive, we weren’t going to let the market settle or anything. We just wanted to put our best foot forward. We wanted to take a shot at some of the best players out there, and I think we have really improved the team.”

— On having patience when fans begin to wonder why the team isn’t doing anything: “There was a weird set of rules where we could negotiate but not sign free agents and we couldn’t announce anything. We knew we were getting a lot of things done. We felt there was a lot of aggressiveness that people would eventually see. We had a lot of (cap) space with which to work, and we intended to use it.”

— On the chances of wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald signing a contract extension before the start of the regular season: “I am optimistic. I think Larry wants to get it done, we want to get it done, we’ve got the cap space. We are looking forward to working with him. Rod’s been working on that. … I think you can get contracts done very quickly and we have a lot of motivation.”

— On why the Cards decided to be so aggressive in the player market this offseason compared to other years: “Things happen very quickly. I think that’s the difference, everything was rapid fire where we were doing multiple transactions in a day. I think that was part of it. … But I think we had a plan in place where as soon as the lockout was over, we were going to make strides in improving the team. Nobody was happy with last year. We want to get back to being the team we can be.”

— On bringing another Super Bowl to University of Phoenix Stadium and Arizona: “I feel good about it, it’s just us and the Tampa/Orlando region (for the next available game). Mike Kennedy, chairman of the Super Bowl committee and the rest of the committee have done a terrific job working with the tourism and hotel industries in all the cities to put together a very competitive bid. We will be back in New York in two weeks discussing the details and then we will be pitching it later this fall.”

Tags:

37 Responses to “Notes from the President”

1. By Stephen on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Bidwill promised we would compete with the new stadium.

Promise kept, and thank you. After being a JV team in the NFL for too many years, we are now IN it to WIN it!!

2. By cards>niners on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

darren,
    any truth to the asante samuel to arizona rumor(s)?
    thanks

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Cards> —

RE: Samuel

4. By Codyw on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

darren is there anymore news about the cards getting edwards?? do you think it will happen

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Codyw —

RE: Braylon

Nothing new. And I don’t know.

6. By MadMike on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Still concerned about getting someone to protect Kolb – tackles. Anything in the works? Anything on the wide reciever front?

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

MadMike —

RE: FAs

Nothing I have heard of.

8. By uncharacteristicAZ on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Don’t know why everyone wants to get into the Samuel sweepstakes. Richard Marshall is a solid corner and I believe that as Greg Toler grows he will be as well. We all know what the expectations are for Patrick Peterson so what do people want Asante for. First of all it will be necessary to give compensation to the Eagles for him. They already have DRC and a second. They’ll probably ask for Daryll Washington and a third for Samuel or something nuts like that. Then you would have to pay Samuel at least top 10 corner money. Just not gonna happen, and honestly not really worth it. He is turning 31 beginning of the coming year and as of now the Cards have an opportunity with youth and talent at the position.

9. By MikeFlorio on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Rumors about Edwards coming to AZ.. We looking to sign him??

10. By Joe Holst on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren, regards to oline, assuming no one gets hurt you would have J.Bridges, R.Hadnot and F.Womack as reserves, any chance one of those can get traded and would they bring any value? thanks

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Joe Holst —

RE: OL trade

We don’t even know who will be starting, much less who should be traded.

12. By Logan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Daren,

What are you hear about the Cardinals adding a No.2 receiver, is Braylon Edwards coming here or is Malcom Floyd or someone else? In my opinion I rather see Malcom Floyd here then Braylon Edwards, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Logan —

RE: No. 2 WR

Again, nothing in the works at this point for sure.

14. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

So far so good, but we can not be finished yet. I’d like to see a few more acquistions. Another WR, LB, NT. Getting Fitz to sign on the dotted line would be a positive also. Darren, any word on additional FA’s the front office are interested in or negotiating with ?

15. By CardsInChile on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Have heard all about WR talk, etc. etc., but am not hearing much about any OT or NT interest. Do the cards feel secure at these postions or do you know if they’re looking?
    Have fun up there, thanks!!

16. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren- Any chance you could post the NFL’s schedule for the teams to get the rosters down to 53 players?

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

NJaz —

RE: Rosters paredown

Teams have to go from 90 to 75 after the third preseason game and down to 53 after the final preseason game.

18. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

And the hysteria continues. Whats wrong with you Cardinals fans. Get a clue. Your impatience knows no bounds. Last week the rants against the Cardinals front office were massive. Any of you childish posters from last week should go away for awhile. Now your all on the why don’t we sign Edwards or Floyd NOW! rants. Why would anyone want to sign Edwards with his problems. Not only that he’s a mediocre receiver at best. Wasn’t he the guy a few years ago who dropped more passes in the league than anyone. He had one good year early in his career and hasn’t impressed since. And didn’t Floyd suffer an injury towards the end of last year. Has he even proven himself yet after that injury. Go with the receivers you have Cardinals. I think just the way the team stands at receiver that given the chance these young talents may give the Cardinals one of the deeper receiving corps in the league. But none of you whiny Cardinals fans want to be patient and see. I’m hoping the Cardinals front office strengthens the team in other areas. The receivers we have now will do just fine.

19. By Jesse Robles on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl, at Home, in 2015!!

20. By 12YROLDFAN on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

DARREN

DO YOU FEEL LIKE THEY WILL MAKE ANY BIG NAME SIGHNINGS SOON?

WE STILL HAVE A FEW NEEDS!!

21. By Tbru on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Now we get to See Fitz’s true colors. He is going to be very wealthy (he already is).He got his QB. No the question is will his demands be such that we still have flexibility or is he going to demand so much we have no ability to move forward. Pay the man, absolutely but I don’t want to see the whole budget go to Fitz/Kolb and a whole bunch of 3rd rate rejects. We need a deal that works for the good of the team.

22. By CZarr on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

I am so glad to see this club spending money on contracts this year. I was very doubtful when Mr. Bidwell answered that question last year, but he’s put those doubts to rest. This man is serious about winning football games.

As a side note, whoever is doing the Camp Unfiltered pieces. Keep up the good work. That RB drill piece with the time lapse camera was beautiful!

23. By cards62 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Good News Cardinal Fans as I am hearing we are one of five teams still going after Malcolm Floyd and Ken W. was on the Colin Cowerd show this morning (sorry if I spelled his name wrong as I usually do not listen to him, but was headed to a meeting.) and when Colin ask him if he would be against the front office bringing in Braylon Edwards he answered Braylon Edwards is a good football player and I am not against coaching good football players.
    I was wondering who you guys would rather us sign Braylon or Malcolm. Me I want Malcolm. I like Braylon talent better, but honestly I would not want Braylon in my home so I would find it hard to root for him.
    I am most happy that our front office is still going after talent..
    I still worry about our oline especially tackles and our defensive front 7 generating a pass rush and stopping the run.
    I am excited for the preseason games to start. I am out east so will have to watch tape delay of the games on the NFL network.
    Go Cards

24. By bostonjohn on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

How would you handicap the Cards getting Braylon Edwards?

Thanks

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Boston John —

RE: Edwards odds

No idea.

26. By bkrs on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Are the cards still talking about geting braylon edwards

27. By Lemunade on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Fitz is alright! He really ain’t worth the big bucks! Q was actually worth more! You want a guy who can catch and run.

28. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Great job Mr. President! Can’t wait 4 the season 2 start!

29. By Cardsfool on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren, any news on adding a FA #2 WR?

30. By We Missed Q on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren, a little off topic here. We head up the hill tomorrow and mom wants a couple really nice restaurants to go to. We usually go to the one inside the Radisson which is like Benihana, any other top choices?

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

We Missed Q —

RE: “Nice” restaurants

You have me confused with someone who actually eats at “nice” places. I am a fan of Oreganos. And Beaver Street Brewery.

32. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Cards62. Not good news. Neither one. See my above post.

33. By cards62 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

Mike

We still have needs to be a stronger club at several positions.
    You could say we are fine and young at TE and why bring in Heap.
    You could say we are fine and young at CB so why bring in a Marshall.
    You could say we are fine at OT, but you would be drunk.

I am a Kolb fan, but my feelings would not be hurt if Skelton beats him out. I do not think it will happen and feel our front office is prudent to go after another QB to compete with Skelton.
    Mike I know you specifically are talking about WR.
    I feel the same about WR. We have a lot of young pups and if they beat out Floyd or say a Steve Smith I will be happy, but if I am GM I get a solid # 2. My favorites are Doucet and Sampson of the young pups. Mike also remember that injuries are a part of the game so what happens if Fitz is injured or Doucet yet again or Roberts?

I worry about our OL especially OT and I would love to still have Timmy but add another proven receiver and I think our offense can be very special again.

Thanks for your reply and I do not think we earned a grade of an A offseason, but I feel much better about our team in 2011 than I did in 2010.
    Go Cards

34. By scott023 on Aug 3, 2011 | Reply

MR. Lemunade, You said Fritz is alright? He is the best wr in football, period. He is a born leader that loves the game of football, it all shows, it’s there to see. He is a team player that is so rare to find, very few men in any field of work can say this. Q was never a fritz and never will be. He was a very good and tough ball player, just not a fritz. The Q made a contract with the cards and was happy, until fritz got his and Q was beside himself. He wanted more and he wanted it now. I remember fritz said he would redo his deal to help make Q happy! I could see the cream raising to the top, and well, the true side of Q as well. The Q was turning into a cancer, that will destroy a team. He was very upset and hated to be there. He was a very good and tough player, just not even close to fritz, not close in any case. I am proud of the cardinals and the way they handled it all.

35. By Eazy E on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Braylon visited the niners wednesday night. If the cards don’t close this deal with Braylon, that is going to be extremely disappointing and damn sad. Get the Damn Deal done cardinals front office.

36. By clssylssy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Mike in Mesa:
    Obviously you haven’t been around long enough to appreciate the newly found passion expressed by the fans during the FA period. Cardinal fans of old were apathetic at best, so it’s exciting to see Cardl fans beginning to act like true fans rather than fair weather bandwagoners. On the Brylon Edwards deal, I’ve heard he is a talent that the players are hoping for but if he is sidelined by suspensions why would we waste money on him? Some teams are little more than prison gangs in an NFL uniform and I’ve always appreciated the fact that we had a team whose players were good role models for our youth. I still don’t understand why our “aggressive efforts” were” delayed due to a new set of rules” that apparently not everybody had to follow. Whatever…we shall see what we shall see. Love Fitz and hope he doesn’t end up watching his exteammates pick up a superbowl ring while he stands on the sideline holding his …extension…(think Maurice Staudemeir)

37. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Cards62. Good points. Glad u got what some of my points were about. I really like a lot of the moves the Cards have made. I just don’t think they need to be hasty at the WR position just to appease fans. I think they have some depth there that we might get to see this year. Can’t wait for the season to start. I’m a big Skelton fan also, but I’m not going to discount Kolb until I can see what he does. Go Cards.