A-Dub speaks

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2011 – 9:21 am

Adrian Wilson wheeled away on his Segway Wednesday after holding court with reporters for about 15 minutes. A-Dub heated up as he went, cracking deadpan jokes (his specialty) and delivering some quality sound bites.

I’ve known Wilson for his whole NFL career. He’s let me have a glimpse into his life. But even I know that, this time of year, you’re not going to get to engage Wilson much. He’s officially in camp mode. So after I chided him for not saying hi to me previously, he barked in the way only he can, “I’m not talking to anyone right now.” And as his Segway picked up speed, he bellowed back, “And that’s the last interview!”

We’ll see about that.

In the meantime, Wilson had some things to say. He’s got a chip on his shoulder and as coach Ken Whisenhunt said, Wilson “plays better with a chip on his shoulder.” No surprise after his injury last season and all the questions of if he can still play.

“I need to turn in my papers and retire, then the next day, ‘He’s so great,’ ” Wilson said. “I know what type of player I am, I know I’m a top-50 player in this league. I’m going to go out and do my thing.”

— On helping young guys: “I’ll do what I can. My job was this offseason making sure those guys were ready to go. I did that, I didn’t get a check for it. As of right now, I am learning just like they are.”

— On losing DRC and the addition of Patrick Peterson: “Patrick is pretty good. We’ll see. I love the kid honestly. His confidence level makes me confident. He knows the playbook, he knows the things we want to do and he doesn’t talk back, which is great.

“We will definitely miss DRC but at the same time, we have to keep going. We’re not going to have a funeral for him.”

— On young players absorbing his wisdom: “I have a lot of good information. It’s up to you if you want to listen. I’m not going to beat it down your head to keep it in there.”

— On finally joining Twitter after insisting he never would: “Sometimes I have a lot of good things to say. … My whole social media thing done picked up a little bit.”

As for his abductor tear, he had no desire to go there. He’s always been a no-excuses guy. “We’re not going to talk about that. We’ll see Sept. 11.”

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “A-Dub speaks”

1. By MIKE G on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope Wilson has a bounce back year–we need him. Along with C Campbell & Dockett we need better production and effort from those three for the 2011 season. They are vet players and need to show it on the field. I hope Horton uses Wilson more toward the line of scrimmage this year. He seemed to get caught in coverage last year which is not his strong suit. Looking forward in watching the defense this year to see what Horton will do. We need Dan Williams to improve and be an impact for this defense. Do you have a sleeper player that you think will be productive under Horton’s D???? I’m going Stewert Bradley–he is a nice player just needs to stay healthy!!!

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Sleeper

Let me see all these guys practice first. Bradley is a good guess though.

3. By We Missed Q on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, why is he wearing 9 this camp?

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

We Missed Q —

RE: Wilson’s 9

As last year, he wears 9 because that was his high school number.

5. By syncro9z on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I think its Dumpster Dan. I think he causes so much trouble in the middle that everyone else has great games.

6. By Kurt on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

A-Dub is a true pro, hopefully the youngsters rally to him

7. By MIKE G on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Yeah–Darren– I think we have to move on when it comes to Porter and Haggans at linebacker. They are good soldiers but seem to be slowing down and do not have the explosion they once had. We need more speed from that position. Hopefully– Will Davis and O-Brien
    can provide contributions. Should be a fun year with the schedule– playing against ex-players. We play Eagles with DRC, Skins with Hightower, Seahawks with Leinart(if he gets in there) That provides good theater. I see the Seahawks also signed Tavaris Jackson as a backup –I was wishing the Cards would have signed him as a backup to provide competiton and experience for Kolb and Skelton. Any concern not having a veteran as a backup for our young QB’S??? I thought it hurt us last year!!! Enjoy the practices!!!

8. By mike k on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

3rd DC in 4 years, @ least 2 new starters in the secondary, retooled d-line. Cards D looks good on paper but there will some be some mistakes. My hope is defenses will be ahead of offenses to start the season, so the Cards D can set the tone and allow the offense to find it’s footing. Quiet day in free agency, concern about CBA?

9. By EC in Seattle on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Is it just me or does Wilson look HUGE this year! Let’s Go, it’s time to hit somebody!

10. By chris on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to miss DRC

11. By Cards4Life on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

This guy had been my favorite player for years now befor him it was the orignal AW (Aneas Williams) -not sure I spelt first name right…

(It’s Aeneas).

12. By Ditship on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Is there any Cardinal more physically intimidating to be around then ADub? Seriously.. that guy is a monster.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Ditship —

RE: Intimidating

Wouldn’t want to meet Darnell in a bad situation.

14. By Thomas77 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of A-Dub…

…is he doing the BRR again this year?

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Thomas77 —

RE: Big Red Rage

TBA

16. By DeckofCards on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren

just a not from one of your newer blogs but you accidently said patrick Wilson instead of peterson

17. By Eazy E on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

He WILL have an awesome year! I love a-dub/a-wil as I call him and our new d coordinator.

18. By former ticket holder on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I”m not sure A-Dub would not be better lining up as a linebacker on special defensive plays. While not having linebacker size, he has the strength and agility to make some super plays.

19. By whoknowsnothing on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Wilson is going to be buried in Cardinal Red!!!!

Wilson will always be a Cardinal.