After the Kolb debut

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2011 – 6:12 pm

I will have much more later on after the Cards’ first full-team practice of training camp — one of the most physical I have seen since I began covering this team in 2000 — and the debut of quarterback Kevin Kolb. Let’s just tap the brakes a moment and remember it’s just the first practice. Kolb and other newbies admitted to making mistakes, and there were errors here and there. But the energy, considering we are a week into work in Flagstaff, was incredibly high.

The offense “won” the live goal-line drill at the end. The first team offense scored in three of four possessions — after Kolb and Beanie Wells fumbled a handoff exchange, Kolb threw a play-action TD to new tight end Jeff King, who spiked it through his legs. Beanie then ran it in a couple of times. The second team did OK too, with rookie running back Ryan Williams getting stuffed on first down and then bulling over some people on second down and saying something about it (Williams then swept in for another score).

Generally, Kolb looked pretty good. The play of the day was Kolb’s 20-yard back-pylon TD throw to Larry Fitzgerald, who snared it with one hand while fending off rookie cornerback Patrick Peterson.

Smiles all around.

“You see our goal line performance today?” Fitzgerald asked the media throng with a huge smile on his face. “I haven’t seen us that dominant at the goal line in a long time.”

Fitzgerald praised Kolb. So did tight end Todd Heap and offensive linemen Lyle Sendlein and Daryn Colledge, and even though Kolb said his head was swimming, it was clear that — for the first day — everyone was happy.

And in exactly a week and 48 minutes, this team will be playing in a real (albeit preseason) game in Oakland.

(P.S. I know everyone wants video. We will have a bunch up as soon as we can. Patience.)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

77 Responses to “After the Kolb debut”

1. By MattP on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m actually excited for pre-season for the first time in my life!

Hey Darren,

Any news on the Malcom Floyd front?

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

MattP —

RE: Floyd

They are in contact. That’s it for now.

3. By Neb70 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

im sooo excited! darren anyword on another veteran wideout?

4. By Dylan on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Seems to me like fitz is one happy guy so im gonna say that makes me one happy guy too

5. By John the draft guy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Mike Jurecki just raved over Kolb. Only one practice but off the chart intangibles.

Won’t it be nice to finally, for the first time since Neil Lomax (could debate Jake Plummer) that we have a young franchise QB??? Hope Kolb works out and keeps improving.

MJ said it was night and day when Kolb was out there vs the other QBs

6. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Campbell says D can be top 5! WOW

7. By John the draft guy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Did PP have anything to say regarding the TD catch by Fitz? I heard he had perfect coverage but a great throw and catch.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: PP quote

I didn’t have a chance to talk to him.

9. By Steve Nealy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Excellent news. I’ll be there next week (from Indianapolis) with my kids to see it for myself. Hopefully, the rains hold off.

Thanks for all the updates, Darren.

10. By AzCardsFanatic on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Sounds interesting… I’m excited to see how the Cards turn out this year.

11. By B on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

YES…heard it here first,SUPERBOWL!!

BUT if in practice 2,Kolb throws 1 INT…we’ll probably go 2-14.

Haha

12. By Mark on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see this offense perform well, even in a training camp scrimmage!!

13. By JMA on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Awesome, looking foreward to this season
    Go Cards!

14. By Jake on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I would LOVE to see the Kolb to Fitzgerald TD with Peterson defending please get that up asap:)

15. By JJ on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Yes we all wants videos, so pumped for the great news today and the fact that football and the AZ cardinals are back! thanks Daren, love the coverage you have been doing, keep it up!!

16. By R Robles on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Awesome!!!

17. By MikeFlorio on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Urb..any rumors about the Cards going after Cotchery??? Also can u post or repost the offical 90 man roster..It feels like there are so many new players.

18. By daniel corrales on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Yeaaaaaaaahhh !!!! Fitz && Kolb are alreadyyy Connecting !! NFC WEST is ours BaBY!!!!!! Haters gone Hate !! But Kolb is the future or Arizona !!

19. By CJ on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

sounds like evryone is getting along this is good the chemistry with the offense seems to be clicking i am reallu excited about how this offseason is looking and i have hope for how this team will be

20. By Jesse Robles on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Intensity sounded high, it is just practice, but we do have a game in a week. Hope the intensity is held this high for the rest of camp and season!! LETS GO RED SEA!!!

21. By azcards24 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

darren gotta see that tape!!!!!!!!!!

22. By aztinez on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

VIDEO PLEASE ASAP,,,!!!!! THANK YOU,,,

23. By cdubbbbbbb on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

wish we had video footage of the one handed fitz touchdown while fending of peterson. i think people are going to be dissapointed in peterson, he is not DRC and thats what people are expecting of him. people gotta realize DRC was one of the best in the NFL so peterson will have a hard time coming out and filling his shoes. plus he is a different type a corner, not so much a coverage corner like DRC was, peterson is more of a physical hit hard guy with average cover skils… well hopefully they are average, might even be a little below average idk

24. By 12YROLDFAN on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

great to here!!!!

25. By Andrew on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren

That’s great to hear about Kolb, but I have some other positions I was hoping you could look at.

What did you see if anything out of O’Brien Schofield? I was kinda sad that he was not out there with the starters on defense. Do you think he’ll soon play his way into a starter at OLB?

Thanks

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Andrew —

RE: Schofield

He’s been OK. I think he’s got a shot to start. Early in camp right now.

27. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Great report Darren, that all sounds encouraging. Hopefully the ghost of Disaster Always and last season will fade away quickly……

Should we worry about the defense now…??? -LOL-

28. By TUCARDS on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I am like a giddy little school girl waiting in anticipation to this “Sleping Giant” of a team.

GO CARDS

29. By brad oneill on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

bidwell drops back hes reaching reaching reaching, into his pocket and woooowwww what a spiral to the fans. Kolb to fitz, kolb to doucet, kolb to williams, kolb to heap, kolb to king. kolb to komar. kolb fakes to fitz hands it to beanie block by king. touchdown Cardinals.

i still miss breaston but i have to say when i glance into the future I am smiling here.

30. By brad oneill on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

if our defense can’t stop derek anderson in week one we should just send last years offense out to stop him.

31. By BigTom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Darren.

32. By Andre on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

LOL at your post script. We really can’t wait Darren. Thanks for the heads up.

33. By jbird on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

cant wait to see fitz vs peterson vids.

34. By mrnickscott on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I am glad to hear there was a lot of energy and passion out there…. Darren, thank you for the updates and please don’t spare any details. good and bad

35. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

More physical preseason practices? Changing your philosophy coach? Taking a page out of Mike Singletary’s playbook on this one? πŸ˜‰

36. By brazilian fan on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

darren,

where does Max Komar fit there? does he make the 53? how much whiz likes him,because as a fan I like him a lot

37. By Javi on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

darren, now that braylon went to the 49ers, are the cards intrested in generall to find a wideriever in the offseason?

38. By azcards24 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

just watched replay of our super bowl ri now on espn2 i get ssooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad everytime!!
    please god let us go to a superbowl this year

39. By in fitz we trust on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

stoked!! glad fitz an kolb are starting early… with all the momentum with the team, wats the chances of fitz resigning before the season? i know thats the goal, but does fitz wanna wait an see the production?

40. By josecards on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren has jay feely changed his number or what?

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

josecards —

RE: Feely number

He is now No. 3.

42. By Eric on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I know you said it was an intense practice, but did you see a noteable difference in the attitude of the defense? Do they seem to respond well to Horton? Also, does it appear they are going to use A Dub more wisely and get us some pass rush this year?

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Eric —

RE: Defense

I did see a difference. A lot of aggression. But definitely moments of confusion.

44. By tom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

darren,
    is there any footage of kolb throwing the ball? the goal line stuff was cool but i think everyone wants to see kolb throwing the ball….

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: Video

Patience.

46. By cdubbbbbbb on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

VIDEOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ I will be at camp tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

47. By tom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

darren, thanks man i dont mean to come off as rude i just hate that i wont make it to camp this year and wanna see some kolb lol. thanks appreciate all the work you do for us loyal cards fans!

48. By Gag$ on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren, who has been playing the second wide reciever spot since Breaston left? Andre Roberts?

49. By Brandon LA on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Any big red rage info? I thought I read to expect some soon. Can’t find where I read it today. Is A-dub on board?

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: BRR

First episode was tonight. For now, player-hostless. That’ll come after camp.

51. By Emanuel on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Andre Roberts #2 for now comment, are you anticipating something? All indications are he is doing great in camp.

52. By John on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

If your looking for video on the one hand catch by Larry from Kolb here you go!

53. By No1CardsFaninMexico on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren.

I have the same doubt. Will the Cards do something to get Cotchery now that de 49ers got Braylon Edwards?

I really want to see a new receiver to get along with Fitz, someone that could get away some pressure from him. And Cotchery is not a bad name at all…

54. By BIG RED on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey’Darren how did Skelton do on the second team. I still think he can take kolb, but money wise, means a lot. Be honest Whiz.

55. By redcity on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

i never thought i would say this this year but i am also excited about what i jst heard

56. By brad oneill on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I have to say, after watching the videos of the practice and press conference that Kevin kolb is worth 60 million bucks. the difference between this year and last year are 10 fold. I know its the first day but this guy’s confidence is real, his desire is there, he knows he has work to do but you can tell he is ready to go to battle today.

last year the defense ate the offense for breakfast all camp long. i am sure it will even out a little as they get to know each other but this is an offense that looks to be going in the right direction.

I am so ready for oakland. GO Cardinals.

57. By Brad on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, thanks heaps for all the new videos mate, awesome stuff! Appreciate the effort there buddy! Is exciting to see the boys in action…

58. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Kolb’s the guy. Focused, competitive, smart, honest, and a leader. After watching all the video pressers with Kevin, any doubts of trading DRC to get Kevin have faded completely away. Kevin has yet to prove himself, but all the intangibles you are looking for in a franchise QB seem to be there — and he’s an experienced veteran who knows the ropes — he just hasn’t had the chance to prove himself, but he’s getting that opportunity now with the Cardinals and it’s obvious he’s going to commit to his job 1000%.

Perhaps most importantly, everyone in camp seems to have confidence in Kevin, and that certainly wasn’t the case last year with our QB crop. That’s was a big problem that won’t have to be dealt with this year.

59. By NYCARDSFAN on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Good morning Darren. Have you heard anything on Fitz’s contract lately.

60. By AJW on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Still early but my vibes are off the charts compared to last year.

61. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: Kolb v Skelton

To be honest, I thought Kolb looked better.

62. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

NYCards —

RE: Fitz

Nothing new to report.

63. By Eric G on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Who do you believe the Cards will likely target now that Braylon is off the market?

(I’m happy that he’s not going to be a Card btw, I always thought his effort was always half of what it should be)

64. By D on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

they looked good on your video…except for Keith, he looks like he is still hurt…wonder if they should sign Starks at OT and get him in shape for depth….

65. By CJ on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

darren what was ur opinion on how our defense looked yesterday? i understand that theres always room to improve but u think its at least making a step in the right direction?

66. By NYCARDSFAN on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Oh and by the way Darren, I see you are posting articles at 1 am! After the agonizingly boring offseason, I think I speak for everyone on here that we appreciate you keeping us up to date on everything with all your hard work and long hours lately! Keep it coming!

67. By Catfish on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Kolb had a perfect pass to Roberts that reminded me of Warner, between two defenders on the numbers, 20 yards down field, all in all, great first day for everyone, Skelton looked good too.

68. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Jason La Canfora

How far did Braylon Edwards fall? Deal with 49ers is 1yr, $1M, with no guarantees. Only reaches $3.5M max with 90 catches/Pro Bowl. Yikes

Shows the Cards had no real interest.

69. By Jahstone on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Not a WR question…do you think the Cards are set at OT, and do you have faith in B. Keith and L. Brown with J. Bridges as the primary backup? I know B. Keith has been wearing a brace and furthermore the Cards were interested in OT help when FA began…what are your thoughts? Thank you.

70. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Eric G —

RE: WR

71. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

CJ —

RE: Defense

I think they looked aggressive and I think they need some time to learn Ray Horton’s playbook.

72. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Jahstone —

RE: OT

I think they will keep an eye out, but with Bridges already here, I think they will see how it plays out as is.

73. By John on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Do you feel like there’s been a postion or need that hasn’tt been adressed an/or neglected thus far? Thanks!

74. By Darren Urban on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Need

Still want to see what develops at NT depth.

75. By cards62 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Are you ready for some football?

Darren so glad you are working so hard this week.

So sad that Rod Graves took the week off.

Kolb was my third choice, but I am so happy that he is looking good and almost everything I read from the national media on Kolb is positive especially work ethic and approach to the game and life. I hope he does well and I pray we can protect him as I feel we have done a very poor job on fixing our OL thru the draft and free agency.

This team will be better just based on QB alone, but I have higher hopes for us in 2011 than just being better than 2010.

Front office need to get offensive just live our players at practice.

Go Cards

76. By Steve Lee on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Is Levi protecting the QB’s back? He better of we’ll have another beat-up QB.

2. Aug 5, 2011: Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb makes his practice debut – Tucson Citizen | Best Flagstaff Restaurant