Dockett’s potential menagerie

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2011 – 8:36 pm

Darnell Dockett’s pet alligator Nino didn’t make it to training camp. Dockett is OK with that, leaving the animal in Florida. He wants to make a YouTube episode of Nino having lunch, like the other day when one of Dockett’s friends fed Nino a rabbit that was eaten in one bite, according to his owner. Then there was an anecdote about Dockett’s Florida neighbor who has a small dog for her pet.

“Before I got my gator, that dog was always running all over my yard,” Dockett said. “She came and said, ‘Hey, I heard you got a gator.’ I said ‘Yeah, I got him in the backyard.’ She was like ‘OK,’ picked up her little dog and took him inside. I haven’t seen the dog since.”

Dockett said he doesn’t have any fear playing with Nino right now, but the gator is growing so “once he gets to 200 pounds, I’ll probably give him back.”

That’s not going to stop Dockett’s animal collecting, however. He said he considered getting a “little tiger”, but when he was informed of the various shots the animal was going to need and the licenses required, “it wasn’t even worth it.”

“But I definitely want one,” Dockett said. “After football, I’m definitely going to get some extravagant animals.”

It really isn’t that surprising.

Tags:

29 Responses to “Dockett’s potential menagerie”

1. By nrdpmp on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

#90 is my hero… that’s awesome. I just moved to Florida in May, had to give up my season tickets 🙁 I joked about finding a gator and making it my pet….

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

He doesn’t need little animals he has little max hall! Lol! Way better than a gator!

3. By Lkaw on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Why is Dockett’s gator on a football blog, he’s gross, please keep it about, not that moron’s personal life unless he does something worthwhile, like donates a million to the Humane Society,

4. By mike k on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Umm, Dockett continuous awesomeness.

5. By Ben Rubenstein on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

How about getting some sacks? I hate to put extra pressure on Dockett, but he must deliver this year!

6. By Skiptim on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

I’m sure you’ll cover the rookies somehow, but could you do something for each person specifically? I’m interested in hearing about Quan Sturdivant, among others. I’d love to see a blog or an article dedicated to writing a little paragraph on each rookie about what you’ve seen from them.

(drafted rookies of course, don’t want you to have to work too hard)

7. By Tx Cards Fan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Have to agree with the compressed time line of camp with the lockout and a new DC. A gator story is not really what I was looking for about Dockett or the D that has alot to prove from last year.

8. By Kaleb on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Lkaw-

If you don’t like the blog, don’t read it.
    I’m a longtime fan and i enjoy reading about the personal lives of players and coaches, keep em coming darren.
    Tell him to get a pet monkey, you dont need licenses in florida or arizona for most breeds. Although i recommend a smaller breed.
    ** please wait til we win a super bowl to get a tiger DD, we need you to be fresh and un-eaten.

9. By Lkaw on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb- free speech , my opinion, so stuff it

10. By cardsalltheway on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Dockett ought to put Kolb to the ground like he did Leinart at one of last year’s first practices. Would Ken W. think putting our QB to the ground is okay like he did last year?

11. By cardsalltheway on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I found it…
    “On this play, Dockett drove nine-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca on his back and brought Leinart to the ground by his ankles. And that’s where things got interesting. If there’s one thing coaches do NOT like, it’s when their defensive players take after their starting quarterbacks in alleged non-contact drills. Offensive linemen, especially of the future Hall-of-Fame variety, aren’t generally thrilled about it, either. Leinart got up, spiked the ball on the ground in anger, and offensive tackle Levi Brown punched Dockett. From there, all heck broke loose. From Sando…:
    Search “Fight, Fight, Cardinals get chippy in practice…”

Later during preseason, I remember Jeff Fisher protecting(immediately spoke up) Vince Young when a Cardinal defenseman simply touched him during a scrimmage. I assume Ken W. would protect and speak out against anyone touching Kolb which would be quite the opposite as last year.

12. By Dan on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Hope the Cardinals sign Jerricho Cotchery………….Boldin Jr…hehe!

13. By Joe Holst on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

What a draft (1) Larry Fitzgerald (2) Karlos Dansby (3) Darnell Dockett…Darren can you think of a better 1,2,3 punch?

14. By Gary on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Darnell should watch Fatal Attractions on Animal Planet.Many people that have had exotic pets have been killed by their exotic pets. Fatal Attractions tell the stories about these unfortunate people.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: QB on the ground

Just to clarify, Whisenhunt was not happy with Dockett last year when Leinart went down. But I’m guessing you knew that.

16. By D on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I wonder after Thurs game when they see Eason is more a DE than DT that they go and sign Pat Williams…bring him in for 1 mil as backup DT, the big guy would be a very good backup who can stuff the run…

17. By clssylssy on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see we still have DD around. My friends from around the league have been salivating over him and I hope he doesn’t have to go elsewhere to get his SB ring. Unfortunately for the Cards, they don’t seem to miss talent until after it’s gone. I’m a little concerned that with the first preseason game only week away, Coach Whisenhunt is describing team practices as “not pretty.” With virtually no off season for practices and team activities and giving up valuable core players in exchange for players unfamiliar with the Card system or nuances, how could it be anything else but a cluster? Good luck for a better week to come.

18. By Peter in Canada on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I think Skiptim has a great idea. I would give you extra work(just a little) by talking up any undrafted rookies that really impress and you think have a shot at the final 53.

19. By cardsalltheway on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

He certainly wasn’t disappointed or sad, so how am I suppose to describe Ken W’s words? If anything he was happy at Dockett’s energy or something to that effect. Ken W. DID NOT say anything like Jeff Fishe(Titans) or most any other NFL coach would have. Do you want me to search and quote Ken W. or did you delete it?

20. By cardsalltheway on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. almost praised Dockett for what he did. He did not say anything negative about what Dockett did during a NO contact drill. So, that is why I said “happy.” Go get em Dockett, it’s okay!

21. By cardsalltheway on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

I NEVER said “happy” so how or why would I now that? Were you trying to put words in my mouth?

22. By cardsalltheway on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Know that?

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Comments

Yes, I deleted it. This is all one giant conspiracy.

24. By cardinalchris on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Maybe, if DD can find a police vehicle sitting around, he could borrow Mike Tyson’s tiger.

25. By Gocardds on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Who cared about gators last year of this time when Dock was trying to renwe his contract. Exactly, at this time as a fan I care about football and his efforts to teach these young roockies. Please, we need more football

26. By BIG RED on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Get over it, Cardsalltheway!

27. By Brian R. on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Ask him if he wants a Cardinal after being one!

28. By cardsalltheway on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

“Conspiracy” Ha ha ha!!!

Anyway, guess what? I found it…
    You said the incident(Dockett putting Leinart to the ground) was “a no-no.”
    “Coach Ken Whisenhunt called it “typical” of training camp, but he said it was nice to see the players going hard.”
    He said a “typical practice,” how are typical practices an “unhappy” time for Ken W.? I’d say the aforementioned and “nice to see the players going hard” is far from “not being happy,” wouldn’t you? I have ZERO, that’s a big ZIPPO evidence that Ken W. “wasn’t happy.”
    But I digress and can only figure Ken W. would react the same way if Dockett put Kolb to the ground this year, even it’s a “no-no” right?
    Go get em D. Dockett.

I wonder if D. Dockett would say the same thing this year given the numerous rule changes since last year, let me quote him in response to his putting Leinart to the ground…
    “That’s what it’s all about. As much as you love your teammates, when you put the pads on, you have to try and kill them,” Dockett said. “That’s what it is all about. That’s the only way you can get better.

Sorry D. Dockett but I don’t think we got much better with the “kill them” attitude.

Big Red,
    What if I don’t? Aren’t you going to allow me to reminisce and compare last year’s camp with this years? Thank you, but I did anyway!

29. By Eazy E on Aug 11, 2011 | Reply

Great personality and he’ll play like Nino LOL!!!