The day after with Whiz

Posted by Darren Urban on August 12, 2011 – 6:28 pm

There are things to work on, and that didn’t change for Ken Whisenhunt from Thursday night to Friday afternoon.

When he looked at one play, for example, that ended up being a Beanie Wells run for “six or seven” yards. In reality, Whisenhunt said, a tight end moved to the wrong side of the formation and let a defender come off the edge clean. Beanie made it work.

“To a lot of people it looks like a good play,” Whisenhunt said. “To us, not so good. Those are the things you have to balance.”

Many of the mistakes are hard to see unless you know exactly what the Cards are trying to do. Obviously, if an opponent breaks off a 12-yard run, it’s easy to see the end result, but it could be an issue as little as moving half-a-yard to the right or left of where the defender is supposed to be.

“Say an outside linebacker is playing head up or shaded a bit to the outside,” Whisenhunt said. “We can talk about it in the classroom all we want, but when you have to execute it in the pressure environment of the play being run, a lot of times it doesn’t get communicated right and it doesn’t click. The only way to get better at that is with practical experience. That is what we are lacking (with no offseason).”

Among the topics Whiz noted:

— The starting offensive line had too many mental mistakes, but he thought they did a good job in pass protection. Whisenhunt emphasized he thought the line will improve with more time together. He pointed out there were two plays where the guard was supposed to pop out and handle an outside blitzer and didn’t. One time resulted in a sack. Another turned into a quarterback scramble.

— He was happy with Beanie Wells in a couple of pass protection situations. Doesn’t mean Wells is good at it yet, but it’s a start.

— He praised the work of cornerback A.J. Jefferson (I will have a story on Jefferson tomorrow).

— In the end, it was the preseason. The needs for game one were basic. “Getting in and out of the huddle and the communication were good,” Whisenhunt said. The coach was happy with the defensive alignments, not that they were wrong at times, but “they weren’t scattered. We got into a spot, we lined up, we looked ready to play.” As for the offense, “we didn’t have motion penalties, a lot of false starts, fumbled snaps, backs going in the wrong direction, we didn’t have a lot of that. I was pleased with that.”

Tags: , ,

45 Responses to “The day after with Whiz”

1. By AZCoyotes on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Cards Rule!

That was the most excited I’ve ever been for a preseason game.

2. By Chuck 1 on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I have been one of the harshest critics of Max Hall, but I must say that he was masterful in the final drive to win the game.
    I understand that he was probably playing against the Raiders’ third and fourth string players.
    I didn’t see the game, but “watched” “Game Tracker” on NFL.com and it was impressive how he (and, his wide receivers) moved the ball quickly down the field.
    Also, the winning TD play on third and two was a great call. Miller and Whiz could have tried to run for the first down, and if unsuccessful, attempted a winning field goal, but to go for the TD was surprising.

3. By EC in Seattle on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Go Go Buffalo! Seattle took a step back this year, San Fran well they are San Fran, and we are much much better. That only leaves St. Louis and they are the only team that really makes me nervous this year. Stay healthy boys, WE GOT THIS!

4. By cards>niners on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

A.J. jefferson will be burned by upper echelon wide recievers in this league.. he will be a decent nickel corner once PP is mature enough to step into his role

5. By Jeff on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Do you know why Whiz still has Andre Roberts doing punt returns? He seems to always muff or fumble punt returns, it scares the crap out of me! I’m sure Whiz wants Peterson to be more comfortable before he would try him out on returns, but if hes not ready put someone else in there that will hold onto the ball..

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: Roberts

I understand the thought, but for now, they like Roberts back there. We will see if it changes.

7. By Peter in Canada on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad to hear Whiz praise Jefferson. I liked him a lot in the pre season last year and I couldn’t understand why somebody didn’t draft him. He is big fast and tough. That is one hell of a combination and if he can get coaching and experience I believe he can be a real force.

8. By BIG RED on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

What is Hall still doing on this team. I know playing with the 3rd team players. He sure looked good against them. Oh! well you live for another day.

9. By Kurt on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Looks like the team has improved dramatically – Well Done Cards

10. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

Well, I was at the game and even managed to bump into Rod Graves getting into an elevator. I called him out and said “Go Cards”. He looked a little suprised but smiled and went on his way. As for the game. Excellent. Both teams looked good at timesl. Very competitive considering the amount of subsittutes that played. I was close. Row 21 on the 45 yard line. The guys that most impressed me are as follows:
    1. Max Hall. Small guys but took charge and moved the offense down the field with no problems. He made it look easy.
    2. Patrick Peterson. His size and speed. He can be special.
    3. Darryl Washington and #97. Very impressed with their speed and field awareness. Washington is sick but number 97 is gonna be a beast. Sorry I can’t call his name.
    4. Big Deuce Lutui. I saw his big slow butt pulling on one play. I was impressed because he actually got that big wide load around the end to attempt a block. If he loses the weight he can be a force.
    5. Ryan Williams – all I can say is wow. Beanie-Baby better not cry “ouch i broke a nail” this guy is low to the ground. very quick and slippery. and he does the one thing I love. He always falls forward. Great draft pick.

What I was not impressed with:
    1. Kevin Kolb. I will give him some slack because he has not had a lot of practice time. But he did not look sharp by no means. A couple passes looked good, but $63mil. He is held at a different standard. But he will improve and I know by the time Carolina rolls into the desert, he will be fine.
    2. The defensive line. I just didn’t see them getting after it. The Raiders QB’s had plenty of time to throw the ball. Just not enough pressure.
    3. The defensive backs. Especially #49. They pick on him with ease. But from what I could see, the Raider recievers were open alot. When Ware came in to the game things tightened up a bit.

I was happy we got the win and I’m excited about the season. I think with more work and the coaches correcting the little things, we could win the west.

Great start to the pre-season.

11. By rio on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

AJ jJefferson, look great last year and i said it here ten, that guy is going to be a stopper, just watch him play , he is on top of the field.

12. By darrel on Aug 12, 2011 | Reply

i got my popcorn ready … i really want T O on this team he still has 2more seasons left he always plays like he has somthin to prove an with us playin his fomer teams this years we could have somthing very speacil the year he still at deep threat in this league hahahah we play

sf twice
    dal
    @ cin
    @ philly
    min aka dovann mcnabb who bettter
    make it happen birdgang

13. By Kaleb on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Did coach say anything about how our Rookie Draftees played?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb —

RE: Rookies

Nothing of note.

15. By Jerry on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Hmm Bartel had to many airballs. If he wants 3rd string he needs to look a lot better next game. I think the team looked awsum and when we get our plays together, watch out we’ll be on fire

16. By brazilian fan on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

all I could see in the “Encouraged to begin with” article picture was Levi Brown screwing up the play letting the DE go all the way… and that’s our franchise left tackle!?

17. By Kaleb on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Dont mean to put you on the spot I was just wondering if you guys have any deals for soldiers that come to the game in uniform. I would love to do that when i get back from afghanistan in september. Thanks

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Kaleb —

RE: Soldiers

I don’t know. Contact me at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net and I will look into it.

19. By clssylssy on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

This was an exciting venue for fans to view the “new recruits.” BABB saw the same things I did, and I find it kind of disheartening that Coach Whisenhunt feels the need to keep talking about the money man and ignoring the other talents who actually put points on the board. I was thankful that we got away with relatively few injuries and see this as a practical learning exercise. For having only five practices, the team looked pretty good, just hope Green Bay doesn’t stomp us like the grapes of wrath, as they’re still looking for payback for that historic game that put them out of the playoffs a few years back. I have a feeling that we’re gonna need all the depth we can retain just to get to the regular season. It’s nice to see some guys who have speed and can run the ball. Good Job Guys…WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

20. By Kofari on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren

RE:Jefferson

Who Is This Jefferson Guy Everybody Talking Bout Him Like Hes Revis Or Something

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Kofari —

RE: Jefferson

He’s definitely not Revis. But he could find his way into the CB rotation.

22. By beauchamp on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Jefferson is a cb from san diego st that shut down boise and their wrs. Came out undrafted last yr in 2010. We held onto him… he’s got skills, w/ Horton coaching could be unbelievable quality for a dime back.

23. By Catfish on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Our young WR’s are gonna be a serious thtreat this year and Skelton will apply presure to Kolb. Tighten up the D and we are looking at a 10 win season and the west title, Like the guy on the beer commercial says, “Stay thirsty my friends” and the NFC crown is waiting for us and if the Cards play with positive energy we may get our first Super Bowl Title., GO BIG RED ROCK THE WEST.

24. By SteveDCO on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

SO a few thoughts and comments….

#97 is Stewart Bradley – He will be starting ILB along with Washington before 9/11 as long as he stays healthy.

#49 is Rashad Jihnson a 3rd year SS replacing Adrian Wilson. I thought he did a good job. The PI penalty was okay, he just needed to get his head around and it would have been an INT. He got the call because he never looked for the ball.

The 2nd pass from #4 to #11 was actually Fitz’s fault. The safety showed blitz so Kolb turned it into a go route as Fitz had single coverage with no safety help. The big gain play was almost the exact same play.

The D-Line not getting pressure. I would argue they did which is why you saw so many batted balls. The biggest issue is no game planning which Whiz takes very serious. We show nothing in the preseason.

The winners in my eyes were Jefferson and Housler. Housler showed good body control on the TD and soft hands. Heap has a few years left in th NFL so would be nice to build his replacement now.

My dissapointments for the game were Schofield and Peterson. Schofield didn’t show up. OLB is a massive need for us this year. Peterson didn’t flash and against the 3s and 4s he should of looked like a man amoung kids. The fumble also really bothered me, maybe he didn’t see it, but sure looked like lack of effort.

25. By Kofari on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren

RE:Free Agents

When Is The Az Cardinals Gone Pick Up A Free Agent Wide Receiver To Take Pressure Off Larry Fitzgerald

26. By darrel on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

andre robets is a perfect slot short routes and abilty to get yards after catch

27. By richard moreno on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

I was pleased with the level of play.. wasn’t disorganized or messing looking. Kolb was ok, chemistry is still building with Larry, idk if that was a hot route or mistake by Kolb. I know hes still learning the plays and it looked that way. i got the impression he locked onto larry a few times and probably forgot what other receivers were running on the three to four wideout sets, seemed when the pocket started collapsing he looked to Larry and forgot his other guys, but he will find them once he settles down and get a full grasp of the offense.
    I loved the run game looking good cards, the backs looked good, people keep hating beanie but he looked good to me(cant really do much on two series) and i understand he didn’t get into the end zone but its preseason.
    The D looked good but to me that nickel corner is gonna be interesting between Marshal and Jefferson( i think PP and Toler got it and should start)
    I do need to see a pass rush tho and Acho looked like a run stopper opposed to a pass rusher, i just dont see it yet.
    Oh and all those haters on Daryl Washington hes legit, stood in the middle strong and did not get pushed around

28. By Javi on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

look darren, im a kind of person who loves to see the offensive and deffensive coordinators on the sidelines along with the head coaches, and i was very stunned to see Mike and Ray up in the booth, are they going to stay up there or for the regular season or remain staying up there?

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Coordinators

It’s up to the coordinators themselves. Horton and Miller like being in the booth.

30. By Paul Kaskiewicz on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Been a Cards fan all my life. Jim Hart, Dan Deirdorff..etc. Great offenses no defense to seal the deal. Like the direction team is going in. If Wiz tackles that problem (pardon the pun) I believe we will see a championship. defense needs an identity like Steel Curtain, Orange Crush….whatever. Just something to ride on. Been through alot of pain, but still holding strong. This team has brought me so many memories over the years. They weren’t the cardiac Cardinals for nothing at one time. Just hope they win it all before I have a cardiac moment

31. By cardsfan007 on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

This is off topic but, who do you think the best shutdown corner in the league is?

Derrelle Revis, or Nnamdi Asomugha? jw

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

cardsfan —

RE: Revis v Nnamdi

Revis has gotten the hype, and I like how physical he can be.

But I’d take either one on my team.

33. By John the draft guy on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

For those of you still wanting the cards to sign another big name WR, consider this;

The Packers are considered to have the best wrs group in the NFL.
    Jenning drafted in the 2nd
    Driver was a 7th rounder
    Nelson was a 2nd and
    Jones was a third.
    This team drafted well and developed the wrs into this great group.

The Cards drafted even better with Fitz (1st) Boldin(2nd), Breaston (5th). They let Boldin and Breaston go but drafted Doucet (3rd), Roberts (3rd), Sampson (7th), and Williams (undrafted). Point is, they cards draft wrs well and develop them. Give them a chance (like the Pack did) and you will see a very good group. We have a division where we can afford to let guys develop and it will pay off.

34. By John the draft guy on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Steve DCO,
    I agree with everything you said except the Rashad Johnson comment.
    He is slow to the ball, doesn’t have natural instincts, and tackles poorly. Besides pass rush (and Schofield), ADubs health is my biggest concern. Our safeties are not very good past ADub and Rhodes.

35. By georgiebird on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

There seems to be some talk about winning the West and even the SB.
    Unless the Cardinals find a way to run the ball when it counts AND stop the run when it counts- it’s going to be a long season. Whiz has got to begin to establish some sound fundamental play on both sides of the line.
    If anyone is looking for another magic carpet ride, the Cardinals’ used up their lifetime allotment in ’08 and ’09. The Kurt Warner years of ’08 and ’09 resulted in probably one of the biggest anomalies in NFL history.

36. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Maybe Johnson just had a bad game. He will bounce back next week.

37. By Scott H on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

EC in Seattle –

Your support from enemy territory is greatly appreciated! But don’t get cocky. These teams that you feel took a step back ( Seattle, San Fran ) walked all over us last year. Two times each. And that was when we THOUGHT we were still the best team in the division going into the season. It didn’t really mean that those teams had gotten so much better…it was MUCH more about how poorly we played. Let’s not make the same mistake this year. We have our share of question marks, that’s for sure. So does everyone else. But I am taking nothing for granted about where we stand in relation to the other teams in the division. We were 1-5 against these teams last year. Let’s not pound our chests until we’ve proven something.

38. By Matt on Aug 13, 2011 | Reply

Rashad Johnson can’t play in this league. His strength is supposed to be coverage, I do believe his pass interfirience came against a fullback and I saw him three times he barely got a raider out of bounds when they were standing right on the line he is weak and afraid to hit that won’t fly on this team (ie DRC)

39. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Be careful of people dressing up pretending to be soldiers…
    Ask for proper I.D. just like the White House did with Desmond Bishop. BTW, any deals for people living abroad coming back for a couple weeks visit, let’s say for the Cowboy game(week 13) or 49er game(week 14) in early December?

Darrel,
    Your’re joking right? T.O. tore his ACL, at his age he will not be back with any team as a starter, nor would he accomplish much if he were. And certainly not this year!

A.J. Jefferson turned and looked back just at the right time. Rashad Johnson received a cheap penalty. The Raider WR pushed him off by the face mask and the ball couldn’t have been caught anyway, it was out of bounds. If he had looked back like A.J., that would’ve helped.

40. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Watch out for Derek Anderson AKA DA on 9/11, he looked better than he ever did for us in his 1st preseason game. The Carolina Panthers ought not be overlooked week 1 and expect him to play or start.

41. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Urban, im a little nervous, dispite getting kolb, things still look too similar to last off season. What do we have to show for losing rodgers-cromartie? he was the only hope last season to help the pass game on D. none of the CB’s on our roster are good enough to be considered starters with the lack of exp. so how is this supposed to help us? why is richard marshall on the back ups right now? we dont have any starting cb’s? and what about WR? do they REALLY think that Roberts is going to fill Breastons shoes? Just like Doucet was supposed to fill Boldins? we say how that turned out, our offense isnt going to have much success outside of Fitz, and Fitz cant do it all every game, we need a reciever. I have so much faith in PP, but its not even week 2 of the preseason, he wont come around for awhile, well i hope i am wrong

42. By ross on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Hightower looked solid against steelers in his debut by the way.

43. By drummer-1 on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

@ Rodgersc

I don’t think Breaston look’d good as a number 2 WR, maybe it’s just me..but i believe the core of WR we at the moment will do well, like you said it’s not even week 2 yet,give them time to gel..There still will be more roster as players from other teams get cut..

44. By Brad on Aug 14, 2011 | Reply

Greg Toler sucked against Oakland, Jefferson showed him up, I hope they drop Toler to 4th string and run Jefferson and Marshall as cb’s for next Pre-season game, might be spark up Toler…

Beanie Wells also showed he can’t beat a man in the backfield (unless it’s a small cb on the outside), Ryan Williams should be our starter, very shifty rb and very handy with pass plays also, he only got limited carries/pass plays yet made a number of defenders miss, i hope they use Williams as an every down back this season…

45. By clssylssy on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I, personally, look forward to these interviews with Coach Whisenhunt, and while I realize he has a certain “party line” written by the Organization, I find most of what he has to say valuable, This was the 1st PRESEASON game people, which is designed to be a practical teaching exercise. Most of our players had five practices before being thrown before the cameras for their every move to be scrutinized by fans who think they know more, could do better, and are never pleased. I’ve watched the game twice and am excited about all the talent we have and the enthusiasm this team is showing. As to the coaches preference for being in the booth…hmmm, I would think that being on the field would have a certain psychological upside with the players ability to “connect” visually and physically although coaoches can probably see better from getting a “bird’s eye view”, A lot will change in the regular season and I hope our fans can remember WE DO THIS TOGETHER!