RB Ryan Williams out for season

Posted by Darren Urban on August 19, 2011 – 8:54 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that running back Ryan Williams’ right knee injury is likely a ruptured patellar tendon. The diagnosis must be officially confirmed, but Williams will be out for the season. It’s a hard blow for this offense, especially the way Williams had been flashing his talent. The whole team gathered around him when he was carted from the field, something fellow back Beanie Wells said was because of how the whole team has gotten to like such a good kid. And now his season is over before it really started.

Whisenhunt said the team will look into adding a running back, but Alfonso Smith  — who spent part of last season on the practice squad — has shown some flashes, including Friday night, and is a candidate to replace Williams.

Tags: , ,

61 Responses to “RB Ryan Williams out for season”

1. By cdubbbb on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

sad

2. By stephn on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

man thats awful, I was really excited to see him shine this season who will be his replacement?

3. By cardinalchris on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

SSSSSHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII&&&&&&&&&&&&&$$*$*$*$*@(@!(!(!!(#$($*#$*@)(##$&$*#$

4. By Walter L on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! What a blow, he’s such a talented back. Even though you never played an official snap, you will be missed and I cannot wait for a speedy, healthy return.

5. By Eric on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Man, that is horrible. I feel bad for Ryan. I hope he gets well soon and comes back next year for the Cards.

6. By kaleb on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

This is really unfortunate. Poor kid, I just hope he can recover he really does have a future in this league. Time for beanie to step up in gap running, he cant expect to continue to pick up chunks of yards running on the perimeter. he needs to lower his pads and bust through the gaps.

7. By Bryan on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

This same injury basically derailed/ended Cadillac’s career. Is there any history of RBs coming back from it post surgery and being the same player?

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Bryan —

RE: History

No idea. But you are right, Cadillac had the same issue.

9. By ProSportsPhoenix on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Not going to find that kind of talent on the waiver wire.

Just when the running game had the talent to commit to it, this happens. 🙁

Get Well Soon.

10. By bobcat44 on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Thats sad for such a good guy and such a good football player i hope he recovers well he will be missed

11. By Devin on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Fantastic. Well, here’s hoping that Beanie can stay healthy and that hyphen and Smith can contribute.

12. By againstthegrain on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

and then there was/is beanie. entitlement will never make a colledge football player an nfl star. beanie? got desire? whiz? got hightower? at least with tim hightower you got an honest effort…. fumbles and all. now what? beanie is this years thomas jones. thomas who?

13. By cardsfan007 on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Well that sucks

14. By swedler on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

This is too bad. As soon as I saw the play develop I knew it was going to be an injury. I hoped it would be just a few weeks. He was looking like a beast in the making. Hope he heals and gets back as good or better.

15. By in fitz we trust on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

i have a feeling la rod stephens-howling will get more touches at rb, too me he is way more versitile than wells. sucks williams is out, but if benie flops this year atleast we will have a fresh set of legs next year. i questioned his durability when we drafted him, sucks he was a high pick for us. dang

16. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

I saw this play and was hoping it wasnt a season ending injury, made me sick to my stomach watching him get hurt. Dang this sucks!!!

17. By Evan on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Feel really bad for Ryan, but hopefully it’s a wake-up call for Beanie. He must start hitting the gaps with passion and finish by punishing defenders …and based on what we’ve seen so far, I don’t know if he’ll ever be that guy.

18. By OLdude on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

What a cryin shame ! I feel really bad for the kid – he seems like a real talent and a well liked teammate. Puts a real damper on the nice showing by the Cards. I wish him well for sure and hope that if he IS out for the year, we’ll get to see him again this year on the sidelines and next year on the field. Good luck to you Ryan.

19. By Andy on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

20. By vnk on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

This sucks. Williams would have made a good 1-2 strikeforce with Beanie. Will hyphen get an increased load now?

21. By Code on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Just terrible really. He seems to be like a great kid who relishes in the opportunity he has been given. I loved seeing him run, he is quick and flashes through his cuts, breaks and holes.

Darren —

Do you think this will be a set back in the locker room? Kent Somers described the locker room after Green Bay to be “dejected” following the loss to Green Bay

Do you think this is a feeling that will continue or carry over to the regular season? I mean the obvious answer here is that the Cards can’t dwell on one injury and must progress as planned but regardless, he would of been one of many bright spots in the offense this year. It must be a bad feeling for the team.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Code —

RE: Locker room

Actually, I read it a little different. Obviously they are down about Ryan the person. But they are football players, and it felt more matter of fact about the football impact, at least to me.

23. By Code on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

One to many Green Bay in that second sentence.

24. By Mike B on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren, who do you think they will look at???

Man what a blow to this team, that really sucked.

25. By Khards on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

very disappointing…

26. By Matt on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Im hearing that this type of injury can potentially be career ending. I realise you arent a doctor, but can you offer any insight?

Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy, i feel so sorry for him.

Thanks

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Injury outlook

You are right, I am not a doctor. No idea what this means long-term.

28. By roland on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

this sucks I hope he heals ok

29. By Devon L on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

This made me so sad. I was so excited to see what Ryan Williams could do and I still think he has a bright future. Easily my favorite draft pick this year. Come back with a vengeance!

30. By Phoenixraven1 on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Man what a blow!

31. By Ty on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

It’s a sad day in football…..

32. By cardsfan007 on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Will they be bringing in someone like Clinton Portis, to make up for the lack of depth in our running back core now?

33. By azcards88 on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

beanie really needs to step up now, darren do you think they will look at freeagents for a replacement if yes who?

34. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Somewhere near the Capitol, Hightower is smiling.
    Beanie wanted to be the man, now he will be.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Hightower

I know what you mean, but I can’t think Hightower would be smiling about this.

36. By Skiptim on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Do you know if that screen pass to Wells (the one called back) was a designed screen?

And I hope Ryan Williams comes back fully recovered. This just… really stinks. I feel really bad for him, beyond just how bad it is for the team. Was nice to see the team surround him, but the way he looked and the way the trainer was holding him really showed that he was in pain and/or it was serious.

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2011 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Screen

I am sure that was a screen.

38. By Louis on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

What Backs are out there that can fit are offensive the way Coach Whiz likes to run it? Willie Parker? Is there really anyone out there?

39. By Dan on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

What a cryin shame. This guy would have been an AMAZING football player, great balance, vision and quick moves. Lucky for him he’s young and straight speed is not his game. HE WILL BE BACK.

40. By Zero on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why?!?!?!? Damnit…. Hope Williams gets a full recovery, this sounds really serious and career threatening from the comments so far.

41. By cardsalltheway on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

O’Brien Schofield was ENOUGH, why did the Ken W. and Co. draft another injury prone player(in the 2nd round)?
    Let me repeat what I said on April 29th, 2011 after Ken W. and Co. stupidly drafted Ryan Williams in the 2nd round…
    “Curveball?”
    Ha, I’d say SCREWBALL. “Runs too hard” means Ryan Williams is injury prone just like Beanie Wells. R. Williams TORE his hamstring last year.
    “RunsI too hard” – 477 yards in 2010, The Green Bay Packers won a Super Bowl with a 7th round rookie running back. I knew Ken W. would be a killjoy.

I said this in your post titled “Cards Take Ryan Williams in Second ”

42. By cardsalltheway on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. needs to learn how to play running backs in the preseason. Hint # 1, do it like you do in the regular season. Get players involved in the 1st half, the reason Ryan Williams got injured on his FIRST carry in the 2nd half is because he sat the entire 1st half, or because he’s injury prone like I said. Stupid 2nd round draft choice. Trade him NOW, see if the Eagles will take him for a 7th round pick?

43. By ross on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Hope you heal quickly Ryan. And in an unintended and unfortunate way, Beanie got his wish. Good luck. Darren, love these blogs–although this one sucks.

44. By clssylssy on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Wow, what a tragedy for everybody. This is what sucks about preseason…game doesn’t count for anything (except as a learning exercise) and injuries further handicap a team limping along. Don’t know why Williams was even in there since we knew what he could do as far as evaluating him for a roster spot. Fans pressure the coaches for “wins” in these meaningless games without thinking about the cost in player injuries. Good luck to Ryan Williams for a successful surgery and rehab, hopefully he still will have a bright future next year. Another one bites the dust!

45. By azirish on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Feel bad about Williams, but the Cards at least need to look at a RB now. Good pickup might be Goodson from Carolina, if we could get him. Darren do you know who might be available out there?

46. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

azirish (and everyone) —

RE: RBs available

There are a few guys, like Portis and Maroney. I would think they might wait to see who is cut.

47. By riwjr on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Dang, but opportunity knocks for guys like Alfonso Smith

48. By riwjr on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren you think this could make the Cardinals keep 2 fullbacks on the roster?

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

riwjr —

RE: FBs

Probably not.

50. By Todd C on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

This is what stinks about pre season

51. By cardsfan007 on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Attention all Cardinal fans,and you Darren, In this time we must stand together and pray for the recovery of Ryan Williams, he had so much going for him in his first year in his young stellar career. KEEP HIM IN YOUR PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!

52. By Eric on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

@andystandsup, dude, you make many not so bright statements, but that one takes the cake.

53. By aFanThatsWantsREVENGE on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

Are the Cardinals def gonna look into getting another RB????

54. By brian k miner on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

what a shame, this kid is going to be the real deal.

55. By SteveDCO on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

The picture in the other blog says it all. Talk about devastating for such a talented kid.

The way the team rallied around him says a lot about what this team is becoming. Even Hightower and Breaston have reached out to him.

56. By Tx Cards fan on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

@Ryan Williams

I have been a Cardinals fan since 1990 when I was old enough to understand what football is and follow a team. I can honestly say this is the first time I have been excited about the Cardinals run game. Thanks for what you bring to the team and I can’t wait to see you back on the field. You’re in our prayers and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

57. By AZCoyotes on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I feel terrible for Ryan. You can tell he plays with emotion.

58. By Jim on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

They really need to pick up an experienced vet in case something happens to Beanie. Portis, Maroney, or even Barber might fit in a 1 year situation, but I think their best move is to hold off to see who gets cut and see if you can get a bargain around the last game of the preseason before signing any of those guys. After all, there is a reason that they aren’t in a camp right now.

59. By clssylssy on Aug 21, 2011 | Reply

Cardsalltheway…You really don’t sound much like a Cards fan to me and something of a pathetic excuse for a human. R. Williams performance has been nothing but a good thing and this is a turely sad thing for him as well as the team and real cards fans. That anybody would be so insensitive to another’s misforture is disturbing and even more so when they present themselve as representitive of Cards fans…bet you are really a 9ers fan.

60. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy,
    How is it EXACTLY that I’m pathetic? I never suggested for a moment I wasn’t for Ryan Williams. I simply call it as I see it. Ryan Williams was a stupid 2nd round pick given his injury history. Isn’t there many other players we could’ve chosen without an injury history?
    It’s not my fault the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl with a 6th round rookie RB. Ryan Williams had a history of missing an extended period of playing time, yet Ken W. and Co. decided to pick him despite being an injury prone player the year before. Which injured college player would you suggest we pick in an early round this April? I know it’s a bit early yet to know who that might be, but please let me know ASAP. I’m not about to jump on the injury prone draft-the-player bandwagon every year.

61. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy,
    “Don’t know why Williams was even in there since we knew what he could do as far as evaluating him for a roster spot.”

Wow, why do you dare question the Cardinals coaching staff? Couldn’t your quote above be classified as being “insenstive”? Are you a hypocrite, or do you have a free pass?