The page long since turned, and after practice

Posted by Darren Urban on September 9, 2011 – 12:47 pm

The Cardinals are ready to play the Panthers — it’s been a long time coming to get to a game that counts. No one wants to relive 2010, but frankly, with so much roster turnover and a training camp behind them, there isn’t a strong sense of putting 2010 in the rear view because it’s already there.

“That’s gone,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “It’s kind of hard to talk about last year when you’ve got 51 new guys plus. You talk about last year and they’re like, ‘What are you talking about? We sucked?’ Yeah, we sucked. So OK. Let’s move on. We’re going to be better this year. That’s our goal.”

— More on this later (full story here) but Adrian Wilson said he hasn’t thought much about returning from his torn bicep because “technically I never played. It’s not like I was hurt in the first preseason game.” That may be true, but having him in the starting lineup is important, even if it’s been clear since the end of Flagstaff camp that he would probably be on the field against Carolina.

— Whisenhunt wouldn’t say who his No. 2 quarterback will be Sunday. John Skelton is still nursing his sore ankle, although he has been practicing. Skelton is listed as questionable. Regardless, Whisenhunt cautioned that whatever QB decision is made this weekend, it didn’t necessarily mean it was long-term.

— Tight end Jim Dray (pec) is out for Sunday. Cornerback Michael Adams (knee) is questionable, as is Skelton. Everyone else on the injury report is probable. For the Panthers, two key starters — linebacker Jon Beason (ankle) and tackle Jeff Otah (knee) are listed as questionable.

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to “The page long since turned, and after practice”

1. By jwimmer2 on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Here’s to starting the season off with success, and to giving Kolb and the other new faces the time they need to fully assimilate the team’s program. This team will prove their wisdom in acquiring Kolb, I believe, but we shouldn’t expect the sun, moon and the stars… only the sun and the moon. Go Cards!

2. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Wilson HAS to step it up this year, i wasnt impressed with hislast 2 seasons at all, his coverage is useless, we need him playin the run game, we cant afford to see him get burned eery pass play

3. By Dylan Clarke on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren it say that Wilson is healthy enough to play without any restrictions, this still kinda scraes me last year was a down year for him playing threw injurys and I just dont feel he is going to be affective as he would be if he didnt get injured what is your take on A-Dub?

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Dylan —

RE: Wilson

My take is they wouldn’t let him play if they thought he’d automatically get hurt. Hey, every player takes a risk when he plays in a game. Ask Ryan Williams.

5. By Mario on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Off topic question…why are they blacking out the Cards games in Nevada? Any idea?

Thanks!

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Mario —

RE: Cards/Nevada

Are they blacking it out or are they just showing another game?

7. By SteveDCO on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Unless anyone here was in Davis’s meeting room last year we have no idea how ADub played.

One of the reasons Horton was brought in was the failure of the coaching staff to get everyone on the same page.

Based on what I saw from games Henderson missed to overall poor 2ndary play I always believed the biggest issue was the DBs being out of position.

ADub seems like some who is going to play the scheme even if it means he looks bad if someone else doesn’t do

8. By Bardo on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren

Re- Mario and blackout games in Nevada. I live in Salt Lake City and the Cardinals/Broncos game on the NFL Network was blacked out here too.(it was blacked out- no other game shown). I called Directv and they told me that we were tied into the NFL blackout rule even though we dont live anywhere near Glendale/Phoenix.

By the way, I’m a season ticket holder from Utah. I’ve had them since 2003 when I lived in Vegas and kept them when I moved to Utah. You know, there’s many more Cardinal fans here who also fly into Arizona for games.

I’ve also met a few fans from Vegas and New Mexico at Sky Harbor. Just want to mention that there’s a lot of Cardinal support outside Arizona.

9. By jwimmer2 on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

There’s still good amount of support for Big Red here in St. Louis. We used to have both Cardinal teams, so the football Cardinals were known as Big Red.

10. By Mario on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,

The game is still listed as blacked out on Directv. I can watch every game playing except the Cards game.

Barbo…the Cards/Broncos game was blacked out in Vegas as well.

Any idea on why? ESPN blogger Sando said all BO were reported lifted on Friday.

Thanks,

Mario

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Mario —

RE: Blackout

I do not know. All I can tell you is the game is a sellout and so blackout restrictions locally should not apply.

12. By clssylssy on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

TV coverage for football has really sucked this year and, in the preseason, it seemed that in order to watch games, Fox had forced fans into a “deal with the devil” in the form of purchasing a pregame package. Fans could still go on NFL and watch the games in the live streaming Gamecenters but what a pain! You would think that after all the BS the league put fans through with the lockout mess, the NFL would be anxious to redeem themselves with the fans who really make their cushy jobs a reality. Our season is precious and short and it’s frustrating to have every other sport shown– baseball,NAASCAR,gymnastics, pool, …poker?… on TV, when our game has soldout and the economy is so bad people have had to choose between paying an extortionist and paying the utilities.
    A little appreciation to the fans, and some love would be nice so that we all can support our Arizona Cardinals. RISE UP RED SEA…BE LOUD AND PROUD…GO CARDINALS!