“HEEEEEAAAAPPPP”

Posted by Darren Urban on September 15, 2011 – 5:45 pm

I have to admit that in a small way, I was startled up at training camp during the Red-White practice when new tight end Todd Heap made his first catch in the scrimmage-like workout. Heap is from Arizona, having grown up in Mesa, playing at Mesa Mountain View High School and then Arizona State. His fan base is wide and hasn’t shrunk even though the first 10 years of his NFL career were played in Baltimore. I knew that.

Still, Heap made the reception, and, as he ran upfield, the crowd of about 13,000 let out a deep-throated collective “HEEEEAAAAPPP” call.

I guess I should have expected it again Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium, when the crowd was about five times bigger. Heap made the first of two 20-yard catches, and when he grabbed it and turned to run, there it was again, echoing from the fans. “HEEEEAAAAPPP”

“It’s a really cool feeling,” Heap said. “It’s hard to describe, hard to put into words. It gets me fired up, it gets the crowd fired up and excited about it, and I think it gets the sideline (with his teammates) excited as well. It’s cool when everyone gets involved like that.”

My guess is, given that the Card should be using the tight ends more this season, the Call Of The Heap will be heard many times out at UoP.

Tags:

22 Responses to ““HEEEEEAAAAPPPP””

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

It’s chilling almost when the whole stadium does it!

2. By Dave on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

2nd best acquisition they made in free agency, next to Kolb!!

3. By DW #1 FAN on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I love that we have HHEEEAAAPPP and BBBEEEAAAANIIEEEE now. and we can do DDOOOUUUCCCEEEE when doucette catches passes. so awesome. Our team is gonna be so much fun this year.

4. By georgiebird on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Great to finally see the Cardinals put some money and effort into the tight end position. Regardless of number of catches our TEs make, I’m sure opposing DCs will now game plan with our TEs in mind- a big upgrade over prior years.
    Conversely, our defense will continue to get bombarded with passes until the guys get it right. It’s tough to be a good defense if none of your players has to be double teamed. When Lawrence Taylor played, he was tripled teamed with OT and TE and a RB was kept in to take a chip at him. The only Card defender who I saw constantly double teamed was Eric Swann (1 year) and thus the poor defensive performances from year to year.

5. By Javi on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

mr urban, what is your prediction for game 2 cardinals at redskins (final score)

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Predictions

These I do not do. They don’t really serve me well.

7. By Eric on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

One of our best FA pick ups of all time! The “experts” say Heap has had his best years. I would disagree. The man is an animal on the field and one of the most genuine, humble people you could ever meet off of it. If Mr. Housler is smart, he will let this man mentor him. Heap, King, and now Housler. Finally, the Cards are flush at the TE position. Good story Darren.

8. By Joe-B on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I was doing the HHHHEEEEEAAAPPPP chant in my house.

9. By Kris on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey DW #1 FAN —

DEEEUUCCEEE is already reserved for when Deuce Lutui comes on the field! We’ll havta come up with something else for Mr Doucet…. 😉

10. By TE's on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Both Jeff King and Todd Heap were great additions in off-season..Need tight ends since before I can remember. GO CARDS!!

11. By Dave on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Any information on the travel schedule for the game on Sunday. We all know the Cards have had recent trouble with 1PM east coast games. Any plans to fly out tonight and have an extra day to adjust to the time zone?

Thanks.

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Dave —

RE: Travel plans

The Cardinals are indeed flying out Friday afternoon.

13. By Wampag on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

did you get my e-mail? and thanks for the Stewart column really helped me figure out why someone we are paying srious $$ is just standing there and living in Philly all I hear from eagles fans is how bad he is but in WHIZ I trust and really like the feel of the team this year they actually feel like a team and not a bunch of stars got a good feeling about this year (hope no jinx) GO CARDS

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Wampag —

RE: E-mail

Yes, I did receive it. Thank you.

15. By Mike in Mesa on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Two terms I’m really getting sick of seeing this year: Mentoring and walk off.

16. By Brad O'neill on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike in meas- pffft. Mentoring is part of life. I am loving having Heap and King to mentor Housler. I would put our tight ends up against anyone in the league, i really want to see us run that play that new england runs with a quick out to welker behind the two tight ends. i think with stevens howling following king and heap some damage could be done.

17. By cards62 on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I think our offense will become better and better if our OL holds up. We have a lot of targets now and they just need to work more with Kevin Kolb. I will take 4 catches 100 yards and a TD every week from our TE position.
    I do hope Housler will get some snaps at TE. I really liked him in the preseason and would like to see what he can do in a game that counts.

Cardinals 20 Redskins 17 Go Cards!

18. By Dylan Clarke on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey darren is it just me or does it seem heap lost a few steps he seemed very slow in his two catches on sunday whats your input?

19. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Dylan —

RE: Heap

I couldn’t tell you. I didn’t watch him very closely when he was in Baltimore. He is a tight end, however.

20. By joez on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

cardinals vs redskins was always a big rivalry i thought back in the day around when wolf was playing, is it still the same with the team or is it more div teams now considered rivals?

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

joez —

RE: Redskins rivalry

It’s definitely different. The big rivals are the NFC West teams.

22. By Scott H on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Not really sure what all the hoopla over Heap is about ( really – what was his stat line in the first game??? ) but I am very excited about the prospect of having the TE F-I-N-A-L-L-Y involved in the offense again. Good lord, how long has it been since we had a notable pass-catching TE??? Far too long. One of the many reasons I wanted Kolb here was because he came from a team that actually uses the TE as an offensive weapon and doesn’t make that position disappear. That long TD pass to King last week was a thing of beauty because we saw so many things that we rarely ever see from our team – a QB buying time with his legs and finding a WIDE OPEN TIGHT END ( !!! ) down the field for a big play??? Now, THAT got my attention! But seriously…TE’s are used as weapons by so many teams in the league these days that it has made NO SENSE to me that the position has been a total non-factor here for so long. Long overdue but perhaps those days are finally over!