Fitz: Whiz has “taken too much of a bad rap”

Posted by Darren Urban on October 17, 2011 – 3:25 pm

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, unprompted, took the chance Monday to defend coach Ken Whisenhunt within the current context of the team.

“I think coach Whisenhunt has taken too much of a bad rap for things that have happened,” Fitzgerald said. “At the end of the day he’s not catching any passes, he’s not making any blocks, he’s not tackling anybody. The onus has to fall on the players, and right now the players are not getting it done.”

This echoes what former quarterback and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620, that “I’ve watched every play of every game and there are plays out there to be made that are not being made. Flat out, there are guys wide open.” Warner said it seems like the players are just waiting for someone to make a play. “Coaches can only go so far,” Warner said. “Then players have to take over.”

The Cardinals came back to practice Monday, working about 15 minutes longer than scheduled with a “good up-tempo practice,” Whisenhunt said. “After four days off,” the coach added, “they should have some energy.”

The players have regrouped and are looking forward the best they can while trying to understand how they got to 1-4 (story coming later this afternoon). There was a team meeting last week and another introspective talk again today, but as Fitzgerald said, improvement ultimately can only come on the field.

— Whisenhunt said the Cards are generally in good health. One player in particular, tight end Todd Heap (hamstring), is still up in the air. “We’ll see where Todd is on Wednesday,” Whisenhunt said.

Tags: , , ,

74 Responses to “Fitz: Whiz has “taken too much of a bad rap””

1. By Cori on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Hang Tough Cardinals! We are here for you.

2. By Eric Sowards on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

You can’t Blame a coach for the players mistakes. Whiz is a great coach, the players have to want to do better, maybe they are trying to hard, Like Fitz said there are plays to be made, I have seen it myself, Kolb needs to get his head out and start playing like the player we traded DRC for, but the O line is not protecting him, Horton needs to change up the D, they are horrible right now. We have the players to do it up great, Come on Cards….

3. By DW#1FAN on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals will end this season at 11-5. you heard it here first!

4. By BIG RED on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Whiz dosen’t have anything to do with the way Kolb plays, its not his fault he plays like Romo. Hate to say that but it’s the truth. Whiz is a good coach and he did something no other coach ever did. I know you say it was Warner and Haley, but they weren’t the only once in the team. Give credit where credit is due. I’ll always say its Kolb for this years lousy start. If he only would move the offense more (it time of possession), maybe our defense wouldn’t be so tire at the end of the 3rd Qtr.

5. By Steve on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

The bye week is the only time the Cards can’t lose. Steelers are going to give them another loss and yet again prove that the Cardinals are the worse team in the NFL. Thanks Bidwells for giving the great state of Arizona this black eye.

6. By Procen on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Since Haley left for becoming Kansas City Chief Head Coach, except the last year of Warner, because Warner is a great quarterback, and for what I know that Wiz, let Warner call most of the plays. Then offensive calling is terrible. I need your input on my analysis Darren. This is just my opinion!

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Procen —

RE: Playcalling

8. By Slic on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Go Cardinals!!! I still beleave

9. By Paul H on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Obviously this weekend UOP is just going to be loaded with the typical front running Steeler fandom. A lot of Cards fans probably sold their tickets. It will be like the old SDS days. Hoping this doesn’t surprise or effect the Cardinal players. As Lott would say, “get your mind right” . Make it a point to spoil their day. Make them wish they should have saved their money. Yes, Cardinal fans will be there but it won’t seem that way. Just play great Sunday and you will hear us guys.

10. By Dylan on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

I really agree with Larry and Kurt here. I hear so many fans talking bad about Ken Whisenhunt but it really comes down to the performance of the players on the team (and these players will hopefully improve both physically and mentally). Glad Larry acknowledged it.

Keep up the good work Ken, we’ll get our fair share of W’s before this season’s done.

11. By angelina on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Sorry yo taken so much of the rap. U r my favorite player. I am rooting for you.. Don’t take no more Rap.. Please hang in there you will come out smelling like cardinal. I have faith in you fritz and the cardinal team .we your fan have faith in our cardinal and mainley u to larry F.

12. By dean on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

I will be watching the Pitsburge game on my direct tv in TX and I hope the Cards can hear me chearing from here. I love my Cards! Darren, I would love to see the video of Beanie’s hit on the corner from the Minnesota game on azcardnals.com if that doesn’t motivate a fan nothing will. Go Cardinals

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Dean —

RE: Beanie Blowup

14. By emm7777 on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Absolutely TRUE, the coaches can only do so much on the field.

But they are responsible for who IS actually on the field and the preparation for those players. And clearly the cardinals are no where near the level of other NFL teams as far as talent evaluation goes.

I love the players on our team,and I would like to think there is a massive amount of potential. But as the season goes on i have to accept what I am seeing on my TV screen. All you need to know…

Since last season, 6-16 WTF

15. By MIKE G on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren I think Fitz speaking up supporting Whiz is a good thing. Fitz is a leader but also backs it up on the field. Other players must follow his lead and rally around him. I expect a good effort at home this week –a similar game to the Giant game–I just hope we can come out on top and have no turnovers. Rematch of the Super Bowl from 2008–hopefully we will come out on top this time!!! Darren–Do you see Considine getting some substantial snaps against the Steelers??

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Considine

Substantial? No, probably not.

17. By Stephen on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren from what you have seen, do you think Bartel is more confident in the pocket than Kolb? If so do you think a QB change up can come? Or would the powers at be, be to proud in a QB change after spending so much money on him?

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Stephen —

RE: Pocket

I guess the question is relative. Is Bartel more comfortable right now? Maybe. Kolb can grow into it, yes. And in Rich’s brief time in Minnesota, he didn’t look tremendously effective so I don’t see them making at QB move.

19. By Cody on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

“STEVE” for a fact the cardinals are not the worst team in the nfl, the rams are bad and so are more teams so lay off!

20. By Robert on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

So Fitz comes to Whiz’s side in a interview. Ok. But this is a team that could be 3-2 or better. While the inability to generate a few plain 1st downs has cost us the games at Washington and against New Jersey Giants. Its the way that we cannot get a first down that remians the same. False starts, illegal formations (yes, you number 11) and the list goes on and on. Stupid penalties that are the result lack of discipline. Discipline goes directly to the Head Coach. Our current team is on track to be the worst defensive team in the history of the NFL. Ray Horton is no Dick Labeau. Add to that we have let some really good defensive players get away (Rolle, A. Smith, Carlos D. and DRC) while still having plenty of cap room. Then we draft a #1 CB who looks totally lost without the LSU scheme where he actually played free safety. Its not a recipie for success. Lets start by fining and cutting for false starts. This team is complacent un Whiz.
    PS Fitz has not been able to outrun or outleap anyone since hurting his knee in the last pre-season game last year. Damaged goods, signing him to that big contract when his injury was under the radar was a HUGE mistake, we could have gotten a primer DE or multiple hi draft choices. I know many will not like this but you have to open your eyes.

21. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Kudos to Fitz for sticking up for Whiz and I agree that the players should shoulder most of the blame, but Ken needs to take accountability also. He acknowledged as much last week, but it rang hollow and insincere to me. A simple one sentence statement that that “I take the blame”, doesn’t change the fact that he’s the leader of this team and that it’s failed epically so far.
    Not expecting a presser where he fires off or cries, but just SOME emotion or at least a change on the field or practice with different plays and especially results.
    i realize there are different management styles from Belichick to Harbaugh, but does anyone else feel Whisenhunt’s poker face as arrogant or stubborn?

22. By dean on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Sweet!!! Thank you Darren

23. By nkd on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Just wondering about Ryan Williams. Has he been spending time with the team and maybe getting to know the coaches or has he been doing Rehab somewhere out of state? More specifically, was he at the players only meeting?

Thanks

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Nkd –

RE: Ryan Williams

He has been at the facilty I am sure to rehab. As far as the meeting, I don’t know.

25. By brythybo7 on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see some changes on our defense. I think with the personnel we have now that a 4-3 would be more beneficial than the 3-4. The only downfall I have with Whiz is that he seems to want to copy-cat the Steelers quite often and it doesnt work to great. If he really wants that he needs to build up the defense a lot. That way they can make up for the offenses mistakes (kinda like Roethlisbergers first year)

26. By georgiebird on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Larry is a great player but his comments on Whiz are ridiculous. What are the chances that Fitz would be an impartial observer and say Whiz is messing up?
    Of course Whiz has to be blamed for what goes on on the field. If a HC could point to players not making plays as a rationale for losing, then no HC is history would ever have been fired.
    One thread that is running through a lot of comments is the bad offensive line. Can anyone explain to me how Beanie is getting 4.8 yds a carry with a very mediocre QB and no competent WR#2 to stretch the field?-and Beanie has not been 100%.
    On the negativity issue, it would be nice if guys would make a note of how long they have been a Cards’ fan. For the most part, I seem to sense that the new guys on the block are positive and the guys that go back to St Louis days are negative.
    Whiz is the main problem here. The horrible job of hiring a DC just exacerbated the situation. The very possible miscalculation on Kolb has disgusted the fans. The stubborness with the 3-4 defense and playing the old guys has made the situation totally unacceptable.
    And thanks to start of the 49ers, the season is just about over.

27. By WNYcardfan on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Ok, good thoughts, some good player input/feedback. Now, LETS SEE IT!!!! Lets see some intensity, lets see some plays being made, lets see some emotion and physical play. There is enough bad things for all to take a big dose of blame. If the coach is that good and the players just aren’t getting it, then get to it. I don’t want to see headlines of complaining or calling people out, as one article says “we need to show it on the field”. OK, I’m waiting, I’m watching, I’m listening…..lets see it. Go ahead, LOSE, but do it without mistakes and bumbling play. As someone said, 49ers are winning and doing it well with rookie coach, same players that gave them cruddy season last year, same amount of prep time etc… Vikings got their rear’s handed to them by Chicago, one week after making cards look like a pop-warner team. It just doesn’t look good and it appears to be more than just players weren’t into it. Lets see some accountability, if a player isn’t doing what he’s supposed to BENCH HIM. Do something different.

28. By suspence on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

The players and coaches are all saying the right things. However, are we going to see any of that play out on the field? I guess we’ll just have to wait till sunday to find that out. Nothing i would like to see more than watching the steelers hang their heads low after coming up short at U of P on sunday! Come on Cards, save some face for this season! Kolb, please step up in the pocket already! We know the tackles suck and the pressure is going to come off the edge, so just step up in the pocket and you’ll have another second to get rid of the ball. No more of this runnin to the right throwin the ball out of bounds!

29. By georgiebird on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals are known for playing a couple of games each year that defy logic. Probably the greatest game played by the Cardinals was a 38-0 romp over the Cowboys at Dallas in 1970, a year the Cowboys went to the SB. Last year, there was the NO game.
    All that said, I believe the Cards will win 5 games this year. The two surprises will be beating the Steelers and the 49ers at home. The Cards will also beat the Browns and the Rams to go along with the Panther win.

30. By georgiebird on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

What a waste of time Karlos Dansby turned out to be. I can’t believe the time he spends in the defensive backfield. Dansby rarely plays at the line and when he does, he’s so easily blocked. When I think of all the money he wanted AND was given by the Dolphins. If we’re looking for a good thing the Cardinals have done in the past couple of years, letting Dansby walk was the crown jewel.

31. By BIG RED on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

What about the future QB Whiz said would be. Big John Skelton is who I mean. Whiz give this kid a chance, you won’t regret it. Defense will win sundays game against Steelers.

32. By Diditagain on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

This team needs nothing beside mental and physical toughness.

33. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Any chance the Cards would hire Warner to mentor Kolb. Kolb needs a Warner type qiuck release with the cream puffs they have blocking for him…..

34. By TucsonTim on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

We’ve seen this scenario play out before.

1. The owner publically supports the head coach

2. The team’s marquise player comes out in support of the coach

3. The team supports the coach with statements like, the coach can’t hit, run, jump , catch etc

4. The team fails in another totally uninspired home game

5. The coach is fired.

35. By EarlbB on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

More of beanie and less of Kolb, until we get him a real number 2 to stretch the field to free up Fitz, Beanie, beanie beanie on 1st 2nd and third down, steelers have not stop the run that good this year, Beanie Beanie beanie and more Beanie, Good job Larry trying to keep the locker room together but Whiz has to own up to his bad play calling and his lack of modivating this team to play for a full 60min, the penalty problems fall to dicipline and that points to a laid back coach that a team has stopped playing for, its time to ask John Gruden to renig on that Monday night contract he signed and come and kick this team in the …. to makem at least look like a competing football team, and for crying out loud Whiz you have the ability to sit people who are not performing, even your million dollar QB. Beanie, Beanie, Beanie,Beanie,Beanie,Beanie please.

36. By B on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren what is Coach Whis’ record for games following the bye week??

37. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

B —

RE: Bye week

As I have responded before, 1-3.

38. By UC on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

“A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary, an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops.”
    –General John J. Pershing

The 49ers aren’t close to the player talent level of the Cardinals, and yet look at their performance so far this year. Did they magically get better players overnight? No, in fact, they got very few players, better or otherwise. Instead, what they got is a head coach who knows what he’s doing.

But Larry and Kurt go with the strawman argument that the Cardinal players are entirely to blame. Yeah, sticking up for Kenny because they like him is understandable, but pretending that the players are in charge of the failure is laughable. Last time I checked, the head coach was in charge of EVERYTHING regarding team performance. Furthermore, every team leaves plays on the field every game, so double boo-hoo for that excuse.

But even if that excuse is accepted for the sake of argument, and all of Kenny’s losses are the fault of player execution, then the obvious next question is why isn’t Kenny getting the player execution problems fixed?

Oh, but wait, if genius Kenny hadn’t cut Leinart last year, then the Cards would have won the NFC West. Seems to me that was a coaching execution problem. Why was Leinart wholeheartedly replaced with a player who had a proven record of being erratic? Seems to me that was a coaching execution problem. Why was the best punter on the team replaced this year with one who’s stats are provably worse? Seems to me that’s a coaching execution problem. Why do the Cards run a paltry number of rushing plays (only 39% so far this year), when they have a stud of a running back, and an offensive line that Kenny and Russ must believe in since they don’t change it much? Seems to me that’s a coaching execution problem. Funny how I don’t hear Larry or Kurt talking about any of the coaching execution problems.

But for us fans who are complaining about Kenny’s incompetence, I’m sure he’ll again just blame us for not displaying sufficient “fan equity”, the same way he did last season. Speaking of which…

“Blame is just a lazy person’s way of making sense of chaos.”
    –Doug Coupland

39. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

Notice that Larry said that Whiz has “gotten too much of a bad rap” instead of “gotten a bad rap”, so obviously Larry wasn’t willing to completely abstain Whiz from taking some of the blame for what has happened.

The Cardinals have won one road game since Kurt Warner retired and have lost 10 straight road games. You don’t loose that many consecutive games without coaching being partly responsible for the result.

Whiz keeps on saying that he has a proven plan that can work. That is true, but there is zero room for error in Whiz’s gameplan. And when there is zero room for error, you need to have elite players at all the playmaking positions to be successful. That’s fine, but in 2010 and now in 2011, Whiz doesn’t have the players he had with the SB champs Pittsburgh, and he and the Card’s management let all the core elite players that got them to SB 43 to sign with other teams. And of course the Card’s biggest playmaker, QB Kurt Warner retired.

Bottom line is that if you draw up a gameplan with four or five good chances for a score, and your personnel aren’t capable of making all of them, you need to create a gameplan that gives your players more than five good plays to score on.

Whiz has an engineer. I just think for the skill level of the squad he has, his gameplan doesn’t account enough for error and relies too much on every player making every play every time. When you don’t have players capable of that, it’s up to the coaches to find more ways for the players to be successful given their skill level, or lack of it.

40. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

Top 2012 Draft Prospects – 10/17/2011 (NFLDraftScout.com)

7 *Matt Kalil OT 1 Southern California

9 *Jonathan Martin OT 2 Stanford

10 Zach Brown OLB 1 North Carolina

17 *Brandon Jenkins OLB 2 Florida State

* = underclassmen

41. By John the Draft Guy on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird,
    -Season ticket holder since 1992.

Not sure where you are going with the Oline comment. Beanie does have 4.8 yds per carry. And to their credit, the OLine has blocked very well on runs. This is a big strong line that can open holes. I thought in Washington, we win if we give Beanie the ball more than 14 times. In Seattle, we win if Beanie is healthy. (of course both are just opinions)
    But pass blocking? It hasn’t been good at all. There is no way to hide it or make excuses. Kolb is confused by the offense to start with and then he is running for his life.
    This is my biggest complaint of the cards off season. With a new QB and a good running game, we could have become a ground and pound team. Then take some shots down the field with Fitz as the safeties are forced into the box. But we didnt improve the defense. We have trouble getting off the field and stopping other teams from driving. Therefore, we throw more, exposing the poor pass blocking.
    If Beanie runs 25 times against Pitt, we win. If Beanie has less than 15 carries, we lose. You can’t be forced to throw the ball 40 times against Pitt or they will kill Kolb. On defense, double Mike Wallace, don’t give him the big play and bring ADub back to the line and take away the run with 8 up.This team can beat the steelers, but then again, they should have beat the Giants and Seattle.

42. By lg on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

beanie is a beast real talk whiz is a great coach the offense will get better.the def need more big play makers cause they dont have not one like it are not drc was a play maker he made the other teams throw away from his side of the field but now we dont have that no where on def a team plays us a say we can do what we want to them draft def free agents sign def not old players young good play makers in other words spend some money.

43. By Jesse Robles on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals care too much and are too soft just like Ken is. They have a team full of Nobel Piece prize finalist including the coach, but that doesn’t mean you can win Super Bowls. It is not a bad thing, but when you care too much in the business, you tend to be soft. Not trying to let these players go, to make yourself better because you care too much for that person is hard, but this is a business. It needs to be done. We watched Levi Brown do nothing for the last couple of years, while ALL DAY has been one of the most consistent backs. It is funny to sit here and think it is not on the coach, it doesn’t even seem like these guys are ready to play. Although the Niners have a new Coach, and the same “Horrible” QB, and are 5-1, it has NOTHING to do with the coach…yea right. We might as well hire Jim Zorn for Cheap if it is not the Coach, LETS Go Phoenix Cardinals!! Stop living in the past, we’ve only had a taste of success a couple of times, thank you Kurt!!

44. By Peter in Canada on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

That is a problem with management rather than with the coach.
    We did do something about the QB situation by bringing in Kolb. However, Skelton should be the #2 QB. He has more upside than Bartel and should be getting practice reps and the playing time last game would have done him and the team far more good than giving it to Bartel.

45. By UK Card on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

THEY AREN’T WHO WE THINK THEY ARE!!!

The Steelers are banged up! If we can stop the run like we did with the Giants, Double team Wallace, We do stand a chance to get a W at home!!! There’s a chance Harrison, and Troy will be limited!

LETS GO CARDS! MAKE SUM NOISE SUN!!!!

46. By brad oneill on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

Whiz is more to blame for the last two years troubles than any of the players. His inability to play call to players strengths and adjust his schemes to fit his players has been detrimental to this team.

That said, he is a good coach a good man and I think he will get better with time if he is given the time. He had early success doing things his way and I don’t fault him for sticking with something that had worked.

47. By Matt in Philly on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

“Too much” are the key words here. Sure, the blame for a 1-4 record belongs on many people, not one…but a lot of blame has to be put on Whisenhunt. His decision-making has been awfully suspect. Let’s look back at game two, against the Redskins, where Beanie had a great game, but touched the ball only THREE times in the first half. And while 3 out of Kolb’s 5 TD passes have been on average from 60 yards out — underscoring the Kolb’s arm and the receiver’s skill-set — Whisenhunt continues to run pass plays in which his receivers don’t go more than 15 yards downfield. He continues to allow Levi Brown to play, despite his clear ineptitude. The fact is, that without Kurt Warner, Whisenhunt has done absolutely NOTHING for this team, but make suspect personnel and coaching moves.

When a QB doesn’t throw a TD two straight games, a lot of that is on the coaching staff.

48. By Jesse Robles on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

Some people are nice people, that doesn’t mean that they can coach. Whiz is a good guy, so was John Gruden, Denny Green, Buddy Ryan, and Mike Shanahan. One thing about these guys are they coached other places and proved themselves, then got fired. Ken has only coached here with his record declining, the next thing to do is get rid of him like the Broncos did Shanahan. It is a business, it is what happens. The Cardinals arent going to though, they are going to hold onto the Whiz string, kind of like holding onto Levi Brown string whichmakes no sense. Too much pride to swallow to say they “The Cardinals Messed UP” and fire or let the player go and move on. We just sit here and watch them get worse. Im just glad the Cardinals have no MUST WIN games this season, not sure how they would hold up. Of course the Cards are going to give the Steelers a run for their money, its the only game Whiz actually really cares about winning. Hes mad cuz the Steelers made the RIGHT Choice at Head Coach.

49. By jocards on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

To me there is certainly enough blame to go around. The players are not making plays and that is continually the case so at what point is the head coach accountable? To me when stupid and costly penalties occur over and over again it is a reflection on the coaching. When a team comes out and gets absolutely flattened by a bad Minnesota team and never really looked like they were ready to play it is a reflection on the coaching. When a team continually finds some way to lose winnable games it is also a reflection on the coaching. Now clearly the players need to take responsibility for all of those short comings listed above too, they are the ones on the field. However you can’t get rid of your entire roster, you can get rid of your coach. It isn’t always fair and it without a doubt it isn’t always the solution to a team’s problems. The NFL is results driven; if a team doesn’t win the head coach will be fired sooner or later. I honestly don’t think this team is very good but I also don’t think that Whisenhunt has done a very good job. The clock is ticking.

50. By jocards on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

@ Jesse Robles

Buddy Ryan was a good guy? Very good & innovative defensive coach but he always struck me as one abrasive man. lol

51. By drummer-1 on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

Play calling, play calling, play calling.. man that gets old, the play calling wasn’t bad when we were leading with 5 min left in 4 of the 5 games, offense gave us the lead, defense lost it… This is just another way to to bash Whiz..

52. By Scott H on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim –

I was thinking the same. We’ll see. I don’t wish being fired on Whiz because he isn’t a good guy OR because I don’t like him AND I acknowledge his presence here during the best years I have known as a fan. I DO feel that he has lost his effectiveness here – as ALL head coaches do at some point – and I believe it is time for a change. That’s all.

And this is a two way street, folks, remember that. If the coach can do “only so much,” then that must also hold true when the team is succeeding as well. Yes, the players on the field have to make plays. That is always true. BUT how much does the head coach have to do with the players who ARE on the field and how they are performing?

53. By Brandon on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

I dont think people are mad at whiz for his coaching ability i think it has more to do with who he has gotten rid of in the last few years and the fact that he really hasn’t brought in a lot of talent, there have been many people i have been upset about losing. Thats my only problem with him at the moment, im sure im not alone.

54. By joe on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

gruden for coach in 2013

55. By cardfancolorado on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

really win the nfc west with leinart wow now that is streeeetttchinggg it hey great chance to get Burfict in the top 6

56. By Matt on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

There is plenty of blame to go around but look at what the Dbacks did under Gibson this year. The roster did improve a bit but the biggest changes were in leadership and in turn the attitude in the clubhouse. The best players were scheduled to play. Risks were taken. Nobody else around the league gave them much of a chance but they had a great season through hard work, discipline, motivation and team pride. Whiz is well qualified but needs a lesson in psychology taught by Coach Gibby. Go Cards! Finish the season by earning some respect!

57. By Scott H on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

joe –

Gruden just signed to stay with ESPN for the next few years, so…he might like that better than the thought of returning to the rigors and stress of coaching.

How ’bout Jeff Fisher? He’s the guy I want.

58. By EarlbB on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

WHY DIDNT THIS SORRY TEAM MAKE SOME MOVES AT THE TRADE DEADLINE, HEARING THAT REGGIE WAYNE MAY HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE IF THE DEAL WAS RIGHT, AND MATHIS, WE ACT LIKE WE HAVE ALL THE TALENT BUT WE DONT, IM TIRED OF HEARING HOW TALENTED WE ARE AND WE CANT EVEN GET TO THE QB. THIS IS WHY WE WILL FINISH THIS SEASON 3-13 BECAUSE WE DONT MAKE MOVES THAT SMART ENOUGH TO PUSH US TO THE NEXT LEVEL, WE JUST IMPULSE BUY AND HOPE CERTAIN PEOPLE JUST WORK OUT IN TIME(NUMBER 2 WR’S) I STILL ROOT FOR THE TEAM BUT THIS IS REALLY REALLY HARD WATCH… BTW DID ANYONE CATCH MY LAST MESSAGE MORE BEANIE AND LESS KOLB TRYING TO FORCE FEED FITZ.

59. By Chuck 1 on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

The game against the Steelers will be a big time beat-down:
    Steelers 34 Cards 10

60. By Barry Bond on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

The rap against coach Whiz and is staff is justified. The community, fans, and the whole state of Arizona is in an up roar and they should be? Reason, look at an Cardinals 1-4 record compared to the 49ers 5-1 with the Niners sitting in first place? All this after most NFL network and ESPN experts said the Arizona could compete for the NFC West division with the 49ers last September. Now they say it is NOT going to happen! Why the disgust with Whisenhunt? Because an NFL rookie coach (Jim Harbaugh) has taken last years San Francisco team that had an 0-6 start to a 5-1 start in only a few months! And he did it with Alex Smith at quarterback??? That is a real slap in the face to veteran coach Whisenhunt with 2 division crowns? Harbaugh can do that and Whisenhunt can not? Yes, it is the coaching and not the players. Alex Smith and Harbaugh’s tight formation of 2 tight ends and RB Frank Gore, using just 1 wide out has changed everything with Smith’s quarterback protection? I believe if Jim Harbaugh had Kevin Kolb instead of Alex Smith the 49ers would still be 5-1? His coaching is just that GOOD!

61. By Barry Bond on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

Coach Whisenhunt needs to STOP pointing fingers and using excuse’s for losing games? My former boss was strict but good with his employees. He would stress when things were not going good, ” I want REASONS, not excuse’s for poor performance” and you better get your a@@ in gear or you are out the door! I get tired, real tired of Whisenhunt’s piss poor excuse’s on post game interviews and cop outs why his team is losing! And now he is letting a ROOKIE head coach in San Francisco with a lame quarterback in last years quarterback Alex Smith lead his 5-1 to first place NFC West???

62. By cardsalltheway on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

Yes Fitz,
    That’s because he doesn’t let(conscious decision) the other coaches address the media each week at pressers. He gets what he deserves!

“RE: Playcalling

I think plays look a lot worse when you don’t have a potential Hall of Fame QB running them.”

And that’s what it will take for Ken W. to win with any team unless he has another offensive coordinator like Todd Haley to get the QB position right(Miller is NO help). Ken W. doesn’t know how. Only HOF QB’s can succeed under Ken W., I feel sorry for John Skelton and Bartel.

63. By cardsalltheway on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

Kolb did not deserve to start ahead of John Skelton or Bartel the first game of the season because he didn’t know the plays/offense like the other two. Ken W. contaminates others when he makes bad personnel decisions.

64. By cardsalltheway on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

What are Larry’s sources for thinking Ken W is getting a bad rap? Does he read this blog or the fan message board? I hope it’s not just because of Burns/Gambo and 620.

65. By J-BIRD on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

Something To Ponder
    By: J BIRD October 19, 2011

Now I know we all as Cardinal fans hope that the team can turn things around this season and win the NFC West tittle for the third time in four years, and it very well still could happen; but let me just give all you fanatics out there something to Ponder for a moment.
    What if the Cardinals don’t end up wining the division again, and fall short of making the playoffs for the second year in a row? Let’s face it, the odds are stacked against us to do so anyway. How many more games will our beloved Cardinals win the rest of the season? Again; not looking so positive at this point. Well as a beloved fan myself, and an active, passionate, everyday fallower of the Cardinals(including offseason ) I really hope they do turn things around and win the NFC West Championship, and make the playoffs; but I also have to think realistically/logistically: and yes that has me already thinking about “Next Season” already.
    So after watching games, reading articles/blogs, and listening to Sports Talk Radio, I started to think to myself: “Ok, so maybe this is not our year”.” The Cardinals will get better, but maybe it will take a couple years for it to fall into place”. After all, there was a lockout, wich hampered a lot of things that teams like the Cardininals could not do; such as correct a lot of mistakes made from the 5-11 season, and prepare for the upcoming one. Then again, some teams have had success at it i.e. San Fransisco. Want to know a big reason why I think they have had success despite bringing in a whole new system: coaches and personel? It’s because they still have players such as Alex Smith still hanging around. He knows the system, culture, persona of the team if you will. This is something that I read in an article and fully believe the Cardinals are lacking right now. I think we started to get it after the signings of both Whizenhunt and Kurt Warner, but it seams to slowly be falling apart again.
    A big reason why is because of letting players that have developed a good base here, go whether it be by trade or free agency. I think the front office of the Cardinals have done a remarkable job of drafting, signing good players, but also has lost a lot of those guys who still have a major impact to this day, not only talent wise; but from a “Chemestry standpoint. For example: Coach Whiz should have never gotten rid of Matt Leinart, although I read that he did have a bad attitude, and seamed to fail under pressure; OK, Sorry; Bad example HaHa! I think a perfect example is a guys like Tim Hightower, Steve Breaston, Dansby, Rolle. All those guys brought a lot of Character to this team, and had good “Chemestry” with it as well. I’m not saying they should have kept all of those guys, but atleast one to maintain from the Culture that Coach Whiz and the front office of the Arizona Cardinals had changed, or so it seamed at one point. Some of you had/ still may have a lot of speculation on the DRC for Kolb trade, but that particular trade I believe was the right one. Sure DRC had made a name for himself here, and he had a grip load of talent; but he lacked leadership and commitment, in wich some talented players just don’t have. Kevin Kolb has that! He may not have been what all of us are expecting out of him, mainly because we all are anticipating that same magic out the Quarterback position that we once had in Kurt Warner; but this guy really does have the “It” factor. He has all the intangibles, skill level, and corisma of an NFL Quarterback. He is just in a new environment, and needs time to adapt. He has shown us spurts of it, but he is still young and needs more time in this environment. There is however another Quarterback in the Valley that people seam to be forgetting about, and that is a guy buy the name of John Skelton. This guy I believe has the “It” factor as well, and though he may still be hurt; he can provide good solid “Depth” at that position.
    The one thing that this organization should really try to steer away from though, is bringing or keeping old washed up players, i.e Joey Porter; although in some cases I guess it can pay off with such players as Vonnie Holiday, Clarke Haggans, Todd Heap. My point is, they may be a good teacher to others, but they just don’t have the talent anymore that they once had; especially for this fast paced 3-4 defense that the Cardinals are trying to run in wich requires a lot of speed, for wich they need youth/ fast players. I believe they do have it, and will continue to bring in the right guys for the job, but that is one of the biggest problems the Cardinals are struggling with defensively: that is using old and slow guys. The Same could even be said for A Dub believe it or not.
    So having said all that, and looking ahead; here is what I think the Cardinals need to do after the season is over despite the outcome. First step is to, and I really do think they will; Keep Coach Whiz. Then, baring a boost from the offense; get rid of Mike Miller as Offensive Cordinator. Actually I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea for Whiz to can him later this season depending on what he(Mike Miller) does, and Whiz call his own offensive plays again; just for the rest of the season. I would also get rid of Russ Grimm as an Offensive line coach. He is a highly known, now Hall-of-Fame Offensive Lineman, and I know him and Whiz share great chemistry; but the guy is clearly just doing something wrong with his linemen here, and seams to lack “Discaplin” wich is a very crucial trait especially an Offensive Lineman should have. As far as a replacement at Offensive Cordinator, I think the Cardinals should take a look back at a very familiar name in Todd Haley; whom is appearently on the Hot Seat in Kansas City. He really should be welcomed back here with open arms because he can really spark, and bring back that “Swagger” that was once here in Arizona.
    Now to the players via draft, Trade/Cut, Free Agency. The first step would be to cut or trade Levi Brown. I think he may even be a FA after the season anyway, and I heard that they don’t expect him to return anyway. Same with Joey Porter and Clarke Haggans. Those guys just don’t fit in this 3-4 fast paced defensive scheme. O’Brian Schofield needs to get more reps the rest of this season, because I believe he will be a starter, and a key contributor to this defense. They need to do the same with Sam Acho, although I kind of see him more of a Bust for next season. OK! Now we get to the real interesting part of this article, and one of the major reasons for me writing it. Say the Cardinals finish as poorly as last season, and wind up with yet another Top Ten First Round Draft Pick. Well we all remember about a decade or so ago when the Cardinals passed on a local(ASU) kid by the name of Terrell Suggs right? Well there just so happens to be another Arizona State University Sundevil standout Linebacker prospect by the name of Vontaze Burfict, who could be projected to go early first round, possibly even as low as number two behind Andrew Luck. I hope it ends up though where the Cardinals don’t have to pick as high, but this cat Burfict would be a “PERFECT” fit for this organization, and it’s 3-4 speedy fast paced Defense. That may very well be al long shot though because even if the Cardinals do end up in the same position as they did last season, I still don’t think it will be bad enough to inheret the second overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Now that I got that out of the way, I wanted to get to my next topic of conversation, but I warn yall; It may not make most of you happy; and speaking of long shot’s: this one well just may not happen. However there comes a time when we all just need to say goodbye to the ones we love and/or have cherished over the years. If it wer up to me, I would trade Adrian Wilson for a first or second round draft pick. Adrian Wilson is getting to that old washed up stage playing in his 11th year in the league. The previous two seasons even, he has not showed any signs of the Adrian Wilson as he had been; and how he made the Pro Bowl instead of Kerry Rhodes is still baffling to me to this day. The dude has an amazing physeke, but that is really about it. He is terrible at covering one on one, and despite his talk off the field ; he is just not backing it up on the field on Sundays. He is also lacking any kind of leadership, and always seams to talk about himself and his own mistakes he has made in games. I just think the Cardinals could really benefit from getting rid of him, and gaining another draft pick i.e pick up an Offensive linemen in an early round of the draft, and/or somebody who can really help this team win. Now ofcoarse that’s just my opinion, and it more then likely wont happen. If it were to happen though, then I would move Kerry Rhodes from Free Saftey to the Strong. He is big enough, and fast enough, and can tackle very well. Then I would move Patrick Peterson to the Free Safety as he seams to be struggling a bit at the corner position, much like Antrell Rolle did before he became more dominant at the free safety position. This allowing Greg Toller to man one corner spot when he comes back next season, and AJ Jefferson and Richard Marshall as the other corners; then add more depth via trade, free agency, or draft for the Cornerback position. Getting back to Toller though, it is really a shame he was lost for the season because as I said, he has made an impact on Defense; and is one guy the Cardinals really should keep around for a while. Along with AJ Jefferson: This guy is really starting to make a name for himself as well. I am really impressed with his physicality and toughness he has shown so far this season.
    In closing I would just like to add that this article came straight from my heart. I am very passionate about my Cardinals, and just the game of Football in general. Even since playing little league baseball and all throughout High School and Semi Pro Football; I have always been able to draw my teammates around me and reach out to them somehow. I guess that’s what I’m trying to accomplish with this article. I just want people to know and understand that I’m for real, and I really wish to get back at it someday. I more then wish it could be through playing again, but I would also love to be a coach, or even some kind of journalist i.e Pauly “Pig Skin” Calvisi, or Ron Wolfley who both have been somewhat of an inspiration and people I have came to admire ever since I started listening to sports talk radio. I really do hope that you all have not heard the last of J Bird in this town. I want to continue to chase my dreams, and I refuse to give up dreaming, and make this a Reality.
    One last thing before I go: just wanted add that all this would not be possible if my dad would not have introduced me to the game of football. If he hadn’t of taken me to Sun Devil Stadium when I was a little boy, or turn it onto sports talk radio in the car to and from the games. This dream, nor this passion would exsist. I love You Dad! You are my one true Hero.

66. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

@J-Bird
    I’m sure you were sincere, but you you made “War And Peace” look like a novella.
    Try to be succinct.

67. By UC on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

@cardfancolorado–

Last year was the first time ever that a division winner had a losing record, and that division just happened to be the NFC West. Average QB play from Leinart, maybe even marginal QB play, would have allowed the Cards to win the division last year. So yes, Coach “Stats Don’t Matter” Kenny has cost this organization at least one division championship.

68. By ALONEEAGLE on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

In my opinion, the Cards did a good joob in the off-season with all the signinngs and the free agents. Where they went wrong was a 2nd reciever to compliment Fitz. Fitz ia going to continue to get double teamed as long as the other reciever is Doucet or Roberts, which means very few touches and even less TD’s. Now as crazy as this might sound, T.O. is available. If the Cards want to start winning NOW, maybe they need to make the same kinda move that the RAIDERS made. best part of the whole transaction is, it won’t cost a draft pick or a whole lot of cash. T.O. has never been in trouble with the law and has always been good on the field. He is always prepared, he is physical, and quite honestly, the majority of what we hear about the locker room antics I believe are mostly media generated, no offense Darren. Fitz needs help on the other side, or this is going to continue to be a long season. This team let Brandon Lloyd and Mike Sims Walker slip through their finger-tips, don’t let the Titans pick up T.O. He is only the second best reciever behind HOF Jerry Rice!! Do the math!!

69. By cardsalltheway on Oct 20, 2011 | Reply

AndyStandsUp,
    He was succinct. A bit much, yes! I just skimmed it but it seemed fairly well written minus the Ron Wolfley part.

70. By Chuck 1 on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

By Peter in Canada on Oct 18, 2011 | Reply

“Our defence was pretty good until the 2009 playoffs where it leaked badly against the Pack and N.O. The main problem was absolutely no pass rush.
    The solution was to bring in Porter. It failed last year and should have been rectified this year. Bradley was brought in to do that and he has hardly played. Another problem last year was the play of our tackles in pass protection. That also was not addressed. That is a problem with management rather than with the coach.
    …..I am not negative but management has so far IMO failed to upgrade some glaring deficiencies.”

My comment: I agree with Peter. A drum that I’ve been beating for a while is that Graves and Keim haven’t drafted and signed FA players that filled the NEEDS of the team. The blame for the debacle of the last two seasons lies much more with the Front Office than with Whiz, although he does have some blame for hiring the Millers as QB Coach and OC and continuing to go to the AFC Central for marginal players.

I disagree with one poster who writes that the 2011 draft was a good one. Why draft a RB and FB when there are glaring deficiencies at OLB and OL?

As an aside, apparently some posters don’t have spell check.

71. By David on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

If the Cardinals want to turn this season around, they not need look any further than defeating Pittsburg on Sunday. That would let us all know they can get the job done.

72. By Randles on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Rich Bartel is the anwser to the Cardinals Team.Just because you pay a QB top Doller ,you have to put in who is best for the team,and tell your top Players we have to what we have to do for the Team

73. By Randles on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals are in need of a good full,or Halfback .I would use you a couple of are Tight Ends like Heap.And stop relying on Wells(good player) as your anwser !Every Team knows that Cardinals Receivers are the threat of the Team,so if Beanie Wells is not playing ,or Heap ,they feel that the Team will be going deep ?

74. By Randles on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Rich Bartel is a Great QB, He plays like a QB,and a Coach when he plays the Game!! it takes one great players on the back end ,to make the whole team to raise it’s standards .We call them Captains