Coming all the way back to .500

Posted by Darren Urban on December 13, 2011 – 10:36 am

When the Cardinals were sitting at 1-5 and 1-6 and mired in their losing streak, there was actually a point where I debated on Twitter (@cardschatter everyone. Shameless plug) about the Cards chances for draft position and quarterback Andrew Luck. There were some out there who believed the Cards wouldn’t win another game — a thought even at the time that seemed foolish to me, and of course, looks even moreso now.

But the fact the Cards have not only a realistic chance to get back to .500 by season’s end but perhaps even post a winning record, quite frankly, is stunning. To everyone.

“It would be unbelievable,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said of the possibility of going 9-7. “It would be very significant for the character of our football team.”

It certainly says a lot about the focus of the team. I’ve been around Cardinals’ teams that folded the tent by midseason. Didn’t happen this year, obviously.

It got me thinking how rare it has to be to start a season so poorly and get back to .500. The Cards, at 6-7, need only to win two of the final three (Cleveland at home, at Cincinnati, home against Seattle) to do that. The thing it — and this shocked me — it isn’t quite that rare.

Since 1970, eight teams have actually started a season with 0-7 or 1-6 record and rebounded to finish .500, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The Cardinals actually had a hand in the last team to do it: The 2009 Tennessee Titans were 1-6 (they actually started 0-6) before finishing 8-8. One of those eight wins? A 20-17 win over the Kurt Warner-less Cards in Tennessee, when Matt Leinart subbed in and had the Cards in position for a big win, only to see Vince Young quarterback a stunning 99-yard drive and throw a TD on the final play of the game (Yeah, rough memories there).

Nevertheless, it would still mean a lot for this team to climb all the way out of the hole — even if it almost demands some “What if” debate about earlier in the season.

Tags:

57 Responses to “Coming all the way back to .500”

1. By Shaun Church on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

They have a good chance Sunday against Cleveland. Probably no word yet on McCoy, but even if he were to play they have one of the worst offenses in the league. And they can’t stop the run.

That combination bodes extremely well for what the Cardinals have done well over the past month (outside last Sunday).

2. By Jzoully on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

I know I’m bugging you about our tackles resurgince into the offense, but seriously is there any chatter about getting Levi Brown back for next season? ALSO I hate to jinx myself but seriously how about the young tandom of Acho, Schofield, D-Washington, and maybe the draft pick of hometown favorite Vontaze Burflict of Arizona State University? BOOOOOOOM

3. By Dynosoar on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Many of us have continued to believe in our team. Whiz asked us to be patient and he was right.

Well, according to the wishing well in Daffy Duck’s Fantastic Island, “Patience is seldom found in a human and never in a duck.”

I’ve said from before the season “Indy here we come”(still possible, but not probable).

Lost to:
    Redskins by 1, Seahawks by 3, Giants by 4, Ravens by 3. These games were lost by only a few plays. Now with all of Ray Horton’s playbook in hand, we’re making those plays.

Our defence rocks! Fitzgerald broke a 1000 and Beanie will as well. Skelton is finding Fitz in spectactular fashion.

I’m excited about next year and for the rest of this season.

If we make the playoffs, I believe we’ll be in Indy.

4. By DannO on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I agree that this team has shown great fortitude and has put forth such an effort every game. After the first 3 games I was hopefull that the team would achieve at least an 8 & 8 season due to the new QB not having a normal training camp, all of the new players and new Defensive Coordinator. I am still concerned about the K. Kolb. It would be great if he could play the last 3 games to see if he is making the expected progress. A 2 or 3 game win with him at QB would be encouraging for the team. If not, maybe Skelton should be given serious consideration next year. Is there any word on Kolbs condition? Again thanx for your great articles. Dann O.

5. By bobf on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Time for the “D” to make up for some of those long, game-winning drives given up over the past few years.

Those are (were) truly some of the most painful times to watch this team.

6. By CS on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

if only 8 times it happened in 42 years thats prett rare, not the rarest but considering teams x games x seasons and only 8 have made it from
    .000 +/- 1 to .500 thats rare. Throw in some variables such as the Cards QB situation, loosing 2 great players before season started, New D and schemes and not to mention the lock out, i bet its pretty rare.

7. By John on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Was Kerry Rhodes ready to go on Sunday? Or Did he need another week to rest?

8. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Rhodes

He was not ready yet. Still hasn’t had a full practice yet.

9. By CardsRepInChile on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Definitely hoping for some magic so we get into the playoffs but that’s not the end-all, be-all for this season, would really just love to finish 8-8 or even better 9-7 and carry a bunch of momentum and excitement into the off-season.

You briefly mentioned injuries, in another article, and looking forward to 2012 I can’t help but wonder how ryan williams will look. You mentioned in October he was back to hitting weights for his upper-body. Do you have any more recent updates? Have you spoken with him lately? Can he job yet? Was really excited about the kid headed into the season and would love for him to have a big year in 2012. Thanks for everything Darren!!

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

CardsRep —

RE: Ryan Williams

I have not spoken with Ryan recently. I will try to get an update.

11. By MIKE G on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren – I hope the Card’s finish with a winning record this year. This team reminds me of the 1983 Cardinals under Jim Hanifan –I think that team started 1-5 and did finish with a winning record. They got it together mid-season and then became a pretty good team. I believe it was Lomax’s 3rd year!
    That was the biggest turnaround by a Cardinal team I
    have seen. Hopefully this team can eclipse that 1983 squad. Hey Darren– this Brown’s game could be tough- they have 3 extra days to prepare since they played last Thursday-and their defense is pretty good. Cardinals must come to play and not have a let down after beating the Cowboys and 49ers!!! Card’s need to show maturity here and not think that they are better than they are!!! Hey Darren- Do you think the Card’s will come out with heavy emotion again at home for the 3rd straight week???? or have a little hangover after 2 big wins???? I see a low scoring game!!!

12. By Kevin on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Darren, and you are right, there were a lot of naysayers here… there was one guy in particular who would post things along the lines of “5-11 at best, and that’s probably being generous” (not an exact quote, but you get the idea). I hope some of those perpetual pessimists own up and eat some crow, but they never do in a message board environment — they usually just disappear, or reappear under new names and start their criticisms anew.

13. By SteveDCO on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

If this team finishes 8-8 (I refuse to talk about the P word) all the haters out there calling for Whiz and Horton to be fired need to Stand Up and apologize.

I have said many times there was a lot to be excited about in watching this young team and it is finally unfolded on the field.

I will be honest and say my reports of Adrian Wilson’s demise were greatly exaggerated and he is playing as well or better than he has the last 3 years. He probably owes Horton 1/2 his pay this year but great to see!

Still want to see us find a LT and move Levi back to RT (after a contract restructure).

Hagen’s can’t keep going like this year so another OLB.

That pesky QB issue keeps popping up, hard to tell if we have “the guy” in either Kolb or Skelton but if the D keeps playing at a high level we will be in great shape as either is better than a Flaco or Sanchez.

14. By Kevin on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

At first I was surprised to see that 8 teams have started this badly and finished 8-8, but then on reflection, it seems like the opposite happens quite often (team starts off well, and tails off), so I guess it’s not that surprising that the reverse happens as well. Just this year we’ve had the Bills start out 5-2 looking like a playoff team (now 5-8 and giving up 53 more points than they’ve scored despite being +34 after their first game); WAS started out 3-1 (now 4-9); SD went from 4-1 to 4-7 before finally winning their last 2; DET has only won 3 of 8 since starting out 5-0 and CIN has gone from a 6-2 contender to 7-6 likely also-ran in a hurry. It’s a streaky game. And then of course you have Denver going from 1-4 to 8-5 after installing Tebow.

15. By Mike in Mesa on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Skelton 4-1 Kolb 2-6. Can anyone say Qb controversy? In your opinion Darren was either of the pics Skeltons fault. I know the one to Fitz was a tad high, but according to everyone you just need to throw it up for Fitz and he’ll go get it. The other one I wasn’t sure of because I didn’t see a replay but I thought it hit Roberts in the hands. Was I seeing that right? At least none of them were thrown right to the other team as we see some interceptions. To me if it hits your guys hands first its not the qbs fault.

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Skelton INTs

On the Fitz throw, the replay I saw, the ball was a bit higher than I originally thought, so I think that goes on the QB. The other one is tougher. I didn’t see a clear replay, the hit from the DB was simultaneous. I do see where Whiz was coming from about the decisions — rather than the throws — being poor. Maybe you just don’t take those risks given the coverage (and I don’t know who else was open on those plays, which factors into it).

17. By John the Draft Guy on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Is there any concern about Kolb’s injury past and present? He had a couple of concussions in a brief playing time there and now has been fighting through injuries here and another concussion. Remember, Vick is still on the bench without Kolb’s injuries.

Bill Parcells use to say, it doesn’t matter how good a player is if he can’t get on the field.

So at what point does this become a concern? Do you possibly look at a QB in the draft next year? Or because of the play by Skelton at back-up, allow you another year?

Quick comment on Skelton’s INT’s; The one to Fitz was a very bad decision. Never throw back across the middle of the field. Have we learned nothing from Farve in the Saints playoff game?

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

John The Draft Guy —

RE: Kolb injuries

I think injuries are always a concern. And while there is no way to predict, for instance, a knee to the head like he got, overall, you are right — he has to be on the field.

19. By We Missed Q on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

The INT throw to Fitz was 100% Skelton’s fault. Why are people here, focusing so much on whether or not it was high, which doesn’t matter. That pass should NEVER have been thrown. High school qb’s know to NEVER thrown the ball late over the middle, ESPECIALLY back accross your body. Yes the throw was high, but it was a very poor decision, buy a guy who has proven he can not avoid turnovers.

20. By marty mathis on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

will be the game in cincy. hard to be a cardinls fan in bengal land but will be there in the cold rooting for fitz and the boys

21. By LB on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Mike in Mesa –

I think Derek Anderson has proved to us it’s not quite that simple.

An honorable mention should go to Vonnie Holliday. He seemed to be all over the place out there.

22. By BIG RED on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

As I remember Kolb used to throw a bunch of those throws during his six game loses. So, it’s not only Skelton throwing them. Give the kid some time, he already shows flashes of beening awesome. Waiting for next year, for my 19 cardinal jersey.

23. By Marcos Tucson on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Mmmm… Well if that’s true I would like to see how those team fared the next couple of seasons. Is it just a one year kind of thing and that sense of urgency is lost? but I’m sure each team is different also.

24. By RelayTV on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

This team reminds me of the the last time we went 8-8 (2007):

The defense seemed to be playing better and better towards the end. We finished strong with 2 wins, and even though we missed the playoffs, we came out strong in 2008 and everyone knows what happened next.

If we patch some holes, 2012 we can dominate the NFC West. We have to finish this season strong though.

And we ABSOLUTELY must beat the Seahawks.

Oh well, one game at a time.

Beanie — POUND the Browns!

25. By Brandon on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Not that it means anything, but I’m curious, of the eight teams that have had horrible starts and finished at .500, what were their win/loss records the following year?

Did they start off in a similarly sluggish manner or did they ride the momentum of the previous year’s rally only to cool?

What I’m hoping you’ll say is that each team made the playoffs, but that’s not realistic.

26. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Other teams

Unfortunately, I was not provided the list of teams by Elias. Just got a number. I went back to find the Titans.

27. By Peter in Canada on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

The first Kolb injury being a turf toe is not an issue. Sunday’s injury should definitely concern the club. Sydney Crosby was out 10 months with a severe concussion. He came back played 8 games and took what was an innocent-looking elbow on the helmet. He is now out again with concussion related symptoms. Doctors say that after each concussion the patient is far more susceptible to repeat concussions.

Darren do you know if Kolb has a history of concussions in the past?

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Peter in Canada —

RE: Kolb concussion

He’s had at least one: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5565099

29. By Chuck 1 on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Off topic, BUT, I’ve read a few positive postings from fans about the job that Rod Graves has done over his tenure.
    Don’t count me as being a Graves supporter just yet.
    What did he do regarding the Cards’ obvious need for OLinemen earlier this year? Picked up one FA Guard and did nothing for the tackle situation.
    I’ll wait until after the draft and FA period before I nominate Graves for the Ring of Honor.

30. By Andy K on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think that John Skelton will be the starting Quarterback next season because looking at how Skelton plays now, he deserves to have the chance. Although Kevin Kolb signed that 5yr contract, do you think he will be put as backup Quarterback for this season and next season even if he comes back from injuries? I know that Kevin should deserve another chance but John Skelton seems to be very comfortable under Mike Miller’s offensive scheme and he won more games than Kolb has. John Skelton has done pretty well last season and this season so is it possible for Skelton to even be the starting Quarterback for the next seasons to come instead of him being a backup Quarterback the rest of his career?

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Andy K —

RE: Quarterbacks

I think the offseason has a chance to be wide open.

32. By NJAZCardsFan on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

I think the return of Todd Haley as OC and Ryan Wiilliams, LSH combined with Beanie would make for a really interesting offensive combination out of the back field.

Darren- What changed to make the defense so much better?

33. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

NJAZCards —

RE: Defense

Time to learn it. That’s really it.

34. By John the Draft Guy on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Interesting Darren,

“I think the offseason has a chance to be wide open.”

I think Coach Whiz is one of the few coaches who will give open competition. Remember that old guy Warner was backing up the hot shot first rounder. He said it was open competition but you had to wonder. Then he gave the job to Kurt.

Kolb is the starter, but as I mentioned above, injuries are becoming an issue with him. If you have even an inkling of open competition, can you pass on a franchise QB in the draft next year?? Or, With a great defense and a running game featuring Beanie, Williams, and LSH, maybe Skelton is good enough??
    Uhhg, another tough off season.

Gotta get Kolb on the field to see more of him these next 3 weeks.

35. By Chuck on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Why are so many people on the Skelton band wagon. You are clouded by the wins. I love Skelton on the team and as our back up but he is not yet good enough to be the starter. He could develop into one down the road. Kolb played as well as Skelton or better in all of his games. We are now winning the close games thanks to the defense. We overcame 3 turnovers in San Fran because the defense did not allow touchdowns. Kolb has also porgressed. Given that Sketon has been in the system an extra year you would expect him to have been a lot better. Given that they are even that stands to reason Kolb will improve well past him. Any thoughts Darren?

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: Skelton/Kolb

Not today. I’ve talked enough on the subject.

37. By Chuck on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

RE skelton deserving a chance to compete.
    I think Whiz has shown that it is a level playing field. Skelton will always have a chance to compete. The contract is not an issue. If he passes Kolb in talent he will pass him on the depth chart. PERIOD

Keep up the good work Whiz!

38. By Chuck on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren

When does Whiz’s contract expire? For all you whiz haters do you really wnat to reenter rebuild mode? Great job getting Horton cuz look at the D now. We will compete next year at a high level even if we dont make it to wildcard this year. I still think we have a very good chance at wild card but we have to take care of business the next 3 weeks as we should. These teams are all inferior to the ones we just beat. LETS GO!

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: Whiz contract

He is under contract through 2013, with a team option for 2014.

40. By Kevin on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Do you ever get tired of being asked about Kolb vs. Skelton no matter what your original post was about?

Just funnin’ with ya — no need to reply.

41. By ndpenner on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Screw 8-8. Shoot for 9-7 and possibly that “p” word. 😉 Thanks for the updates Darren. It’s cold and there’s not much to do up here in AK if you’re a broke working man, so having updates everyday is awesome.

42. By Peter in Canada on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Thank you for the response re the Kolb concussion.

I don’t understand all the arguments re Kolb vs. Skelton. As I see it neither has yet proven they are a solid NFL QB although both have shown flashes. Skelton has improved tremendously from the raw draft pick at the start of last year. Kolb has also played well at times but the slow start of the team and the injuries have hampered his progress. If next year there is an open competition,and as John the Draft guy points out, past history suggests there will be, one of the two will hopefully separate himself from the other and the question will be answered. Nobody should care which it is unless they have money on the outcome.

43. By cards62 on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

I hope we end the season at 9 -7 and think we have a real good chance of going 9 -7. Playoffs I want of course, but momentum for next season will be huge and I am proud of the way the guys have continued to play especially the defense.

Guys we still have holes on our team like most teams so I hope Graves and Whiz have a good offseason addressing our needs.

I have always been a Whiz fan and have never called for him to be fired, but next year I felt would determine his future. He has made me scratch my head several times the past 2 seasons and question how much of our past success was him verses Haley & Warner. I still do not know for sure how good he is, but I admit freely that he has coached this team up very well and definitely rallied the troops when all looked lost this season. I feel much better about him leading our team next season.

Rod Graves I do not understand his lack of moves this year and the way our QB situation was handled last year. Brandon Lloyd would have been nice, and enough time went by where we were seeing that no one else was stepping up at WR. I did not like the Ryan Williams pick or TIm Hightower trade and definitely not bringing in any OTs. Ryan Williams hopefully will turn out to make me look foolish, but I thought we needed an OLB or TE or OT with that pick. I willl not be upset if we replace Rod Graves this season, but if he stays and he probably will I will hope I am wrong and that he does a fantastic job next year and brings us in the players we need and resigns CC.

The NFC West is definitely getting better. 49ers are just solid and Seahawks like us are improving, and remember the Rams were 7 – 9 last year. Rams losing their OC really hurt them this year.

I guess my wish list for changes is still an OC first Norv Turner, and second Todd Haley. I hear Todd Haley is being looked at for ASU head coaching job.

Second is a new offensive line coach. When is the last time we drafted an offensive lineman and he was chosen All Pro or even selected to play in the pro bowl? I hope you guys can name several as I can not remember any under Grimm.

QB? I just do not know what we have and how it will turn out? Hopefully Skelton will make a huge jump next season and Kolb will be healthy and make great strides. Maybe we bring in a free agent veteran or draft a rookie QB if free agency goes well. I do worry about Kolb’s health. Some guys just do not seem to have good luck with being healthy. I hope Kolb can stay healthy for us. I am not a Matt Leinart lover, but I felt sorry for Matt when he finally got his chance to play after 18 months and throws a TD, but then gets knocked out of the game. I do not think he even played a half The hit I watched several times and it just did not look that bad. Some guys just can not stay healthy usually not their fault just bad luck.

Like most Cardinal fans I try to be positive, but I also try to be a realist and when I see things I do not like I do talk about what makes me angry. I really enjoyed our playoff runs in 2008 & 2009 and want us to get back to playing playoff games while we have Fitz, Beanie, DD, CC, in their prime, and some young & exciting players who will only get better.Just please remember the vast majority of us want to write great things about our front office, coaches and players, as this is our team.
    I am excited most about our defense and think they are playing great now, but smile everytime I think of how much better they can become.

Go Cards beat the Browns.

44. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Haley for ASU

Let’s clear one thing up: ASU isn’t looking at Todd Haley. That was floated by two radio personalities on their show as something they thought might fit. It has no basis in fact.

45. By Mike Wallace & Grommet on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren — Thanks for doing such a good job keeping all of us fans updated this year. You work harder than anyone I know, and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

46. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Like I stated a few weeks ago (?), the Cardinals have never finished the season with six consecutive wins, which is almost required for postseason play. (They did finish with 5 straight in 1948.)
    That being said, I believe the Lions hold the most tiebreakers and would have to lose at least 2 of three with the Cards winning out, among other scores falling in place.
    Darren, admit it. You’ve played with the online playoff scenario “machines”, no?

47. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Playoff machines

No playoffs until .500, remember?

(Although I may break that vow with a blog post in the morning).

48. By Andy M on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Interceptions: the first was thrown into double coverage. It was tipped and unlucky but Skelton was playing with fire. The second, despite conventional wisdom to not throw back across the field, Fitz was wide open. The problem was that Skelton couldn’t get much on the throw and Fitz misjudged the ball’s velocity and jumped a bit too early–otherwise, he catches it and makes a nice gain. Stuff happens. Fortunately, the defense bailed Skelton out. When a QB tries to make stuff happen (which is obviously in Skelton’s character), you have to endure marginal execution or decisions.

49. By chevy on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Fitz didn’t misjudge the pass. He jumped slightly and immediately looked back to see where the defender was. He could have made the catch, bit he would have also been destroyed. Can’t blame the guy. Live to play another day.

50. By Jeremiah on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

8 times in 41 years seems to be pretty close to rare in my opinion.

51. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Jeremiah —

RE: “Rare”

Yeah, you’re the second to mention it. I guess in my mind, I would have thought it only would have happened once or twice. So when I saw eight, I was blown away.

52. By dheisel on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Do you think the Cards will bring in McNabb?

And what is with all those gray seats in the stadium?

(props to Kevin) 🙂

53. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

You’re only human Darren and although you’re not a “fan” and a “half-empty guy”, I have a feeling you, like I, know that if the Lions win vs, the Raiders and the Cards lose to the Browns, it’s going to be Boyz II Men with “The End of the Road”.

54. By Mike in Mesa on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

It cracks me up that all of you denigrated Skelton as not being the reason we won before and cried about his stats. Now Skelton upped his game. Have any of you looked at his completion percentage and qbr rating for this game? And yet you still give him no credit. Folks he did this against one of the best teams in the league. With no run game support. Whats going to be your next excuses if he continues to outshine Kolb? This guy reminds me a lot of Big Ben. He keeps plays alive scrambling and guys are having trouble bringing him down. He still has way better pocket presence than Kolb imo. I’m curious Darren, whats Skelton making this year? And is there anyone out there that thinks Kolbs performance so far is 20 million dollars better than Skelton? I’m still wondering what this team would look like with Peterson and DRC, not to mention who we might have gotten with our 1st round pick next year. Que Sera Sera.

55. By Scott H on Dec 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Oh, man, THANK YOU SOOOOOO much for the picture with this blog!!! Seeing a Cardinal player knocking a 49er out of his shoes ( for real! ) is just so up-lifting. I wanted that win so badly and wanted to see us beat the Niners up a little in the process. Mission accomplished. Beautiful thing.

Nice blog. As you may remember, my tirades were becoming a daily occurence and I truly did doubt whether this team could win more than 3 games. THAT meant they would actually have to win 2 more ( somehow ) and it was hard to see them beating ANYONE at that point. Heck, let’s remember that we had just made the friggin’ Vikings look like the Patriots for 60 minutes, ya know? But…my, how things have changed. Would love to see them finish with at least 2 more wins ( and Cleveland and Seattle in our house SHOULD both be wins ) but there is already reason for optimism going into next year with these young guys on D and Beanie playing the way they are.

And believe it or not, I’m much happier when I’m not on a tirade! My head hurts less and I’m sure my blood pressure is down!

56. By Scott H on Dec 14, 2011 | Reply

dheisel –

Um…are you asking about McNabb with a straight face or were you chuckling as you posted, knowing full well that Darren doesn’t want to dicsuss the “M” word ever again in this – or any other – lifetime?

Honestly, what does McNabb do for this team at this point? Kolb AND Skelton are better QB’s at this point than McNabb. So…he’s what, our 3rd string QB? That would be great except for one thing – he would have to beat out Rich Bartel for that spot and he’s not even good enough to do THAT anymore.

Reality check – McNabb has now been dumped by THREE teams in the the past THREE seasons. I see no reason for the Cardinals to step up and be the fourth. McNabb is just DONE.

57. By clssylssy on Dec 14, 2011 | Reply

It doesn’t seem like the people on this blog watch many other teams and haven’t seen some of the other quarterbacks around the league, least they would cease the constant complaining about the guys we have playing at the QB position. The Ravens are considered one of the strongest teams alive and have a QB who is no better, and often worse than either Skelton or Kolb. Nobody pays attention to that fact because they win games anyway, This team is coming together as a cohesive unit; our D is starting to draw attention and gain respect and everyone is doing what needs to be done to get the job done. When we can stop the turnovers, have no penalties, and be consistent, we’ll start getting the recognition everybody is looking for. The constant changing of personnel is not the answer…it’s counterproductive. Part of the reason the Packers have been so successful is that they have had a limited number of changes to their team. Let’s support our Cards as they turn the corner! GOOD JOB MEN!