The return of Rhodes and concussed QBs

Posted by Darren Urban on December 16, 2011 – 1:07 pm

One quarterback for Sunday is definitely out for the Cards-Browns game. Colt McCoy, who suffered a concussion the Browns’ last game a week ago Thursday, won’t even be making the trip to Arizona. That means Seneca Wallace will start for Cleveland.

The Kevin Kolb situation with his concussion is much more vague, although the vibe seems to signal another start for John Skelton. “Kevin is doing good,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “We have to get to Sunday. He is getting better.” Asked if that meant Kolb could start, Whisenhunt said, “We’ll see. We don’t have to make any decisions on that right now.”

One thing for sure will be that safety Kerry Rhodes will be back Sunday for the first time since breaking his foot Oct. 9. “We don’t want to give him 62 plays,” defensive coordinator Ray Horton said. “We’ll ease him in. He’ll get about 50 percent of the snaps.

“For him, the main thing will be the butterflies because he hasn’t played in a long time, and the speed of the game. It’s so much faster than you can simulate out here (at practice). That’s why we want to ease him in, and then next week against Cincinnati we can let him go 100 percent.”

Rhodes said he’s been the defense’s “number one cheerleader” but that he was anxious to play again. He said it was a mutual decision between he and the coaches to start off slow.

“I don’t want to go out there and just get back into everything,” Rhodes said. “It’s going to be different. Practice is one thing, actually getting out there and reacting to someone giving me a double move, it’ll be fun to see how that happens.”

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “The return of Rhodes and concussed QBs”

1. By MIKE G on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– Never mind my previous question–you answered it in the Blog. You never want a player to get hurt but I think Rashad Johnson did a nice job filling in and definitely improved. This only makes the D better and gives them more pieces to work with and also improves the depth. Hey Darren–which player do you think new to the roster from last year has provided the most leadership to the team on defense???? Could be Nick Eason!!!!

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Leadership

Of the new guys, I think Vonnie Holliday has made an impact. Eason too.

3. By Bob-O! on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

GET US THE BALL BACK RHODES!!!!! He sure did have a nose for the great bean last year that’s for sure! Sunday can’t come quick enough, I’m in attack mode already! lol my poor cubie neighbors.

4. By Jzoully on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Do you think that it’s too early to count the Browns out? They are without McCoy, and Wallace is a spread shooter that can use his feet. I remember when he played with the Seahawks.

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Browns

Count them out for what? If you are asking if I am assuming the Cardinals walk to a win, no. Never do that in pro sports.

6. By kkfan on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Are John and ( Steve on practice squad) brothers? I just wondered since they both have the same last name and went to the same collage. Looking over the roster it looks like a fairly young team that has shown a lot of talent and potential for seasons to come. Only a handful of guys that have lots of years to their careers listed. I am suprised to see Sean Considine as a DB when he was a safty for us .Is Bradley playing MLB ? Many thought he was more suited for the Sam position when he was in Philly.

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

kkfan —

RE: Questions

1) Yes, the Skeltons are brothers.
    2) Bradley is an ILB, mostly, in the 3-4 alignment, although he has been used as a pass rusher a few times.

8. By Dynosoar on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Bob-O,

Convert your poor cubie neighbors to the Cardinals and they’ll be richer for it.

(Unless the reference is to their salaries, in which case the purchasing of merchandise after becoming fans will make them poorer. At least you’ll have company at your company.)

I’m in attack mode as well. Go Cards! Until they lose, I’ll state what I’ve stated from pre-season…

Indy here we come!

9. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Need to Rhodes so we can actually catch a int lol!

10. By Chuck on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Even though skelton has stepped up I wish we had Kolb for this stretch. Whoever plays wer are counting on you. Go Beanie!!!

11. By Scott H on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

There is no need for Kolb to play in this game. At this point – with his injuries and generally poor play – he is basically a question mark going into next season. I mean, there is apparently no question that he will be the starter next year. But as far as whether he is truly the guy for our future…well, unfortuantely, his performance this season leaves that open to debate. But getting back to where I started, there’s no reason for him to play this weekend. It seems that these concussions need time to heal, and one week is not enough. Besides, what is he going to prove with 3 games left? Even with a strong finish, he is still stariting next season as a question mark. So…let him heal now and play next week.

And, again – yes, I really just want to see more of John Skelton.

12. By austin on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I can’t wait to see Rhodes get into the groove with the new D. He was one of the few bright spots last year. With our guys flying every which direction and his ball hawking ability I feel the combination will be explosive. GO CARDS!!!

13. By wonderingwhy on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I think with Skeltons play this season he should have a chance to compete for the starting QB spot. Kolb has proven nothing except he can get hurt and not be productive. Skelton at least has won some games for us. Let them compete next year for the start, I would say bah humbug to Kolb being the outright starter. If he is its just because Whiz does not want to be wrong about his poor choice.

14. By GACardFan on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Who says Kolb was a bad choice? Even if Kolb never plays another down for the Cardinals; and I’d not wish this on him, though I am a big Skelton supporter, he at the very least let the Cards get Larry signed to a big deal. Larry Fitz for the duration is a good deal. Would I trade DRC and a second for a maybe QB and Larry Fitz??? ALL DAY LONG.

15. By clssylssy on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

I wish someone would explain why they would want KK to start Sunday if he is not recovered fully from his concussion. This is his second or third concussion and unless he has had a FULL week of regular practice should sit it out. No game is a slam dunk and we need everybody at 100%, playing with 100% of their focus and energy. When we have capable and healthy backups there is no need to push the walking wounded…that’s why we have backups. Let’s just finish the season one game at a time. We’re looking good and could be killer next year. FLY HIGH CARDS, BEAT THE BROWNS!

16. By drummer-1 on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

@ wonderingwhy…

It always comes down to Whiz being stuborn, let it go, he sees them everyday, he know’s what he’s doing…

17. By cards62 on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren – How would you rate Rashard Johnson’s and Richard Jefferson’s play this season?

Johnson was one I never gave up on because I remember reading he was a slow starter in high school and at Alabama. I am begining to like these SEC defensive backs. Jefferson blew me away in the preseason then had a rough start, but seems to be playing much better like Johnson. Marshall also had a rough start, but also seems to be playing much better.

Jefferson and Toler are the two young guys besides PP of course that excite me for next year. I think Jefferson will keep working hard and with the success our defense is having gain self confidence and even play better next season.

Kerry Rhodes welcome back as you were one of the very few bright spots last season. I like our plan of starting him slow as we have seen this defense takes some time to learn and we are playing very well defensively. I do think Kerry will make us all very happy once he completely learns this defense as he has a nose for the ball.

It feels great to be excited about our defense and heres to hoping we can feel excited about our offense next year.

Go Cards beat the Browns!

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Johnson and Jefferson

I assume you mean A.J. Jefferson.

I think both have improved. I think Jefferson was thrust into the lineup before he was ready, and is better suited, at least for now, in his current role. Johnson needed to be more productive and I think he has done that.

19. By Scott H on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

I guess it’s a good thing to be getting Rhodes back, but…heck, with the way the D has been playing without him, I almost hate to see them mess with a good thing!

20. By CreditCard on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Speaking about concussions, oh well I forgot what I wanted to say. I had a few realy good points to say about contusions or was it concerns. Speaking of concerts, holy smokes — I forgot what instrument I was playing. Trombone wasn’t it?