The unknown starting QB and other Whiz wrapup

Posted by Darren Urban on December 19, 2011 – 12:05 pm

Here’s what we know about who is going to start at quarterback this week against Cincinnati: He’ll get the vast majority of the practice reps. That’s a lesson learned for coach Ken Whisenhunt, on the idea that he could split reps between Kevin Kolb and John Skelton.

“I think that’s a fair assessment,” Whisenhunt said. “We tried to (split) a couple of weeks ago and neither one of them were comfortable with that. I’m not going to say either one of them couldn’t play without getting most of the reps, but as far as trying to prepare them, I think that’s the fairest way to do it.”

That said, Kolb’s status remains unclear. Whisenhunt said Kolb was still bothered “a little” by the lights and noise at University of Phoenix Stadium Sunday coming off of his concussion. He will continue to be monitored Tuesday and Wednesday morning and the Cards will determine where he is for practice. Asked if Kolb was still considered the starter, Whiz stayed vague.

Noting that the Cards’ focus after starting 1-6 was just winning week-to-week, “and that’s how we are approaching everything right now. I understand (the QB) is a hot topic, a popular topic, but that’s not something we’re not going to have any absolutes on right now because we don’t have to do that. We are focused on this game (against the Bengals). I’m not trying to dodge the question or give you any insight one way or the other. I really think it’s important to stay focused on each week. That’s what has worked for us.”

Skelton is “getting better,” Whisenhunt said, and praised his ability to be effective in the fourth quarter — although he did note Kolb did it against the Cowboys.

— RB Beanie Wells’ 15 carries apparently had to do with his sore knee. “Beanie is a week-to-week thing,” Whiz said. “It’s a different struggle every week trying to get his knee ready and I have a lot of respect for Beanie and what he is doing. He’s not as elusive as he would be if he were 100 percent healthy and we understand that. There are times that doesn’t allow us to get into the runs as good as we would want to. We have to adjust.

“It’s once he gets through the interior of the line, the ability to plant that leg and get past a defender, or pick his feet us. We have gotten past the defender the last couple of games and they have either come to cut him or he’s gotten hit from the side, where he can’t plant and cut back under or pick his feet up and get through the tackle. That’s where you see it. Every week is different. Some weeks he’s more confident (with the knee) and some weeks he’s less confident with it. That’s what you fight. But let’s not forget Beanie has had a good year. ”

— Whisenhunt, as mentioned yesterday, is the franchise’s all-time winningest coach. He got a ball from team president Michael Bidwill afterward to commemorate the occasion. “I knew (the record) was out there, but I wasn’t focused on it. It’s great, but it’s more a representation of what our coaches and players have done.

“I am proud of it, but I am so engrossed in the season, I’ll think about it later. I am human. I acknowledge I am aware of it because Michael has made a big deal of it, and I appreciate that. It’s more important of what this team has done.”

Tags: , , , ,

73 Responses to “The unknown starting QB and other Whiz wrapup”

1. By CS on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

would like to see a red helmet option in the future, is that allowed?

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

CS —

RE: Helmets

Unless part of a throwback uniform, helmets can’t be changed.

3. By Honda Doug on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

The one thing that can be said about this team, I can never relax, until games end, each and every one is exciting right thur the OT. It has been a fun run, these last few games, and a have I resinged myself to the fact, that we are not gonna “blow anybody out”.

4. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Start Double Deuce Skelton. That is the guy to start.

Whiz needs to do something about the offense, cause right now Horton has saved his butt, his job, and this season.

The Cardinals owe it to this defense to put in the QB that WINS GAMES!!!!

5. By Shaun Church on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Would you say “quarterback controversy,” or do you believe it’s truly based on Kolb and his concussion still that next week’s starter is not known?

I’m not attempting to be the one to start the QBC talk; I believe the comments on facebook have taken care of that. I would just like your prerogative on the situation.

6. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Shaun —

RE: Kolb health

I wish I could tell you exactly what the coach is thinking. I think it’s a tough call. I also think anyone who thinks it’s a no-brainer either way is not paying attention to the details on either side of the equation.

And yes, I expect people to rip me for such a comment. It’s what I believe.

7. By WildCard on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

WE NEED TO KEEP WHIZ AROUND AND BUILD A DOMINANT TEAM!

8. By TucsonTim on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Alfonso Smith got one carry into the arms of an unblocked defender. I guess he just doesn’t get the system.

9. By SteveG on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Beanie didn’t look right even against the rams. He is playing through injury and I commend him (as a unfortunate member of the 5 knee surgery club myself, they are HARD to work through).

Simply can’t wait to see what this D looks like after full OTA’s, top 5 seems realistic!

NFC West is far from the worst division from here on in, going to have to be a GOOD club to take it in future.

Great (ugly) win. Not planning on the playoffs, but I would point out to Santa I was a relatively good boy all year and deserve a surprise gift (and you get to share!!)

Go CARDS!

10. By CJ on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

The QB situation going forward has got to be a tough call and I’m glad I’m not the coach/GM. Kolb is the better passer, but Skelton has shown he can win games. He has some things to work on for sure but has been a top notch backup QB which borders on starter potential. With the exception of that first 49ers game, he’s shown potential to fight for it.

The question then is whether it’s worth paying Kolb a kings ransom to fight for his starting job. I wish Kolb wasn’t injured so much to be able to do an accurate comparison especially since, to be fair to Kolb, our defense sucked in the first part of the season and we don’t know how he would do in the same games that Skelton won. But then there is the fact that he’s been injured for half the season. I know they are legitimate injuries but he’s been so quick to get hurt and so slow to heal. That’s been his career in a nutshell.

I think the real issue is whether we can get a better Offensive Line for next year. If we can, I think Kolb would be the better choice. If not, Skelton does way better with pressure and is bigger and can take more hits. Skelton sort of reminds me of a Ben Roethlisberger. Big guy who can move well in and out of the pocket.

Thoughts Darren? Do you think a better OL is the key to Kolbs success?

11. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

CJ –

I think improved Oline play would help any QB.

12. By Shaun Church on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

That is exactly the point I was aiming at when referring to facebook. It’s far more complicated than just “which QB should start.”

And I fully agree with you; to call it a no-brainer either way is to show they haven’t thought deeply enough about it to realize the quandary. Sure, Skelton has performed better than he had earlier in the year over the past two weeks. But the defense is largely to thank for the victories. Kolb has not gotten a healthy chance with the team as it is now. I believe he is entitled to that much, at least.

Should be an interesting week of practice.

13. By Bruce on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Let’s try that again…

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING…
    If you had to guess, would you say our #1 draft pick will go to:

a) Best player available at the time
    b) Offensive Line
    c) QB (please NO!!!), or
    d) Something else

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Bruce –

RE: top pick

No idea. Cards don’t even know where they are going to pick. I’d guess best available, but that just gives a wide berth.

15. By Jzoully on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Look it’s stupid for anyone to give up yet on Kolb. Give him to the end of the season, and the backup for now should be Skelton. When the season ends, that is when we evaluate the quarterback position. We have the best running back in the league, best wideout Larry Fitzgerald, an absolutely better tight end group in Housler and Todd Heap is helping him grow. Even our offensive line is good now, even though no one wants to admit that, saying we need draft Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin. Too much has been invested into Brandon Keith and Levi Brown to let them go. Bottom line is that quarterback is not a position you can be weak at. And we truly are weak at that position. Darren my question is when free agency rolls around, quarterbacks in free agency like Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich, or Matt Cassell might become available. Even Peyton Manning might become available. Who is the best quarterback available when free agency rolls around?

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: FA QB

No idea what the list will be. Besides, I’d highly doubt they’d chase one with Kolb/Skelton on the roster.

17. By ALONEEAGLE on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

It was a good game yesterday, closer than I think anyone would have liked, but good none-the-less. Frankly it doesn’t matter who is taking snaps, that O-line needs to improve. I recorded the game and watched it, doing the whole rewinding thing. Levi Brown is horrible and Brandon Keith isn’t much better. Next season they really need to revamp their O-line. If Kolb is out a 3rd week in a row due to a concussion, that should be kind of concerning. Darren, is their any clause in his contract that if he doesn’t work out they can release him, especially if it has to do with medical reasons? It’s time to look to The Bengals. Let’s go Cards, finish the season 9-7, maybe play-offs!!

18. By drummer-1 on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

@ Rugby..

It’s a team game… Where was the D when Kolb had the lead in the 4th quater with less than 5 mins left in 4 of his 6 losses?

19. By conrad on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

We are rolling with Skellton you see how the players play better when he is in there and from thier comments when Skellton is playing they want him to start as a QB they prefer him to play. GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a season ticket holder have been since 1990!

20. By Jeremy W on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren when are you going to post all the scenarios the cards need to be able to clinch a wild card spot you said you would start on it when the cards were .500

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Jeremy W –

RE: playoff scenarios

Ha! I never I’d post all the scenarios. Just that I’d talk playoffs. Cards have to win out. Lions need to go 0-2. Kevin on the blog broke it down well.

22. By Corgon on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I really start to think Whiz wants to run te ball, but he’s not trust in Beanie. Just a hunch, but I’am curious what will happen next year, when Ryan Williams will get back.
    As for Skelton, he looked an NFL QB for the first time. Stats are for the loosers. He made important and nice throws, looked confident and the INT wasn’t his fault. I’am rooting for him to be a really good QB.
    Oh ye! It was good to see Kerry Rhodes back on the field again!
    Horton quietly forged a steel courtain here, reduced the defensive flags and made our D something is count. Please draft for him an elite ILB next year and he’ll rip apart the nfc.
    But now! Get after Dalton, chase him, sack him, pick him and do something with Green (that guy is a great danger) and the victory will be ours! Go Cards!

23. By Sarah on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Are you employed by the Cards to do this blog etc ? Re. quarterback, I think we need to know what Kolb’s capabilities are at the position end of story. Obviously Skelton is improving and seems to have big upside down the road and has had the to be expected trials and tribulations of going from college to NFL . I think the Houston Texans have shown that veterans can be had ( Delhoume, Garcia ) for a song, we need to learn that skill. If Kolb is worth the money great, if not we are developing a very good quarterback in Skelton right now. Is it fair to throw Kolb in post concussion to prove? Probably not given he would be rusty again etc and be at risk for another concussion. I say release him in January and see if he is willing to renegotiate down the road, I do not think his NFL worth would be anywhere near what the Cards have forked out or that he would get picked up to be a starter at this point.

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Sarah –

RE: employer

Yes, I am employed by the team. Why do you ask?

25. By Jerry from IL on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of throw back uniforms – I like the uniforms from the 70s and 80s – classic. I wish Cards would wear them again.

26. By Peter in Canada on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

It would be surprising if there wasn’t a QB controversy. The #1 QB takes the team to 1-6. #2 QB comes in and goes 3-1. Then they win a game under the #1 but he gets hurt and the #2 goes 2-0. There are strong arguments on both sides of the equation. If Skelton had gone 1-5 instead of 5-1 there would not be a contoversy. I doubt that there are many fans ,including the Kolb backers, who are regretting the fact that we are 7-7 with an outside shot at the playoffs and a bright future rather than being 3-11 and hanging our heads. Myself I am quite happy if there is a QB controversy because we are winning, it will be settled eventually and NOBODY has recently called for Bartel to be given a start.

27. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I guess you can never have enough RBs. With Ryan Williams recovery ongoing and nobody knowing if he’s going to be successful until he returns next summer, I’m guessing we’ll be drafting a RB again in 2012. Too bad we don’t have a #2 pick in ’12. Maybe we could trade a QB for a #2 pick next year? 😉

28. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Man…just please let Beanie get 5-6 more yards for a 1,000 yard season. He really has earned it, running tough through the pain this year. Where many people ( so-called “experts” ) had him labelled as a major bust before this season, he might just be the Comeback Player of the Year instead. Good for him…and good for us!!!

Just hope this knee thing isn’t gonna be an every year thing…

And BTW…didn’t we sign Chester Taylor??? Where the hell has he been???

29. By joe on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Cant wait to see a williams beanie howlings rotation next year and sherman is the best fb i have seen in a longtime willimas looked like he couls threaten for number one in preseaon if we could limit beanies touches and just give him quality with howlings and williams doin the dirty i think would could have an impressive backfield

30. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Just throwing my two cents in again.
    Off course Kolb will start this week if healthy. You HAVE to see what this guy does or doesn’t have considering the money involved and the probability of the Cards not making the playoffs.
    And who is this “inam” team employee?
    Concession stand Slurpee salesman?

31. By in fitz we trust on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

were keeping both qbs so i guess training camp will be the ultimate test next year, IF skelton can completely beat out kolb ON ALL ASPECTS an be named the starter i think we cut kolb next year, no point of keeping a 60mil backup. the best thing in my mind atleast, is the fact that skelton is only 23 an kolbs is 27 big difference. lets clean house, cut heap, cut doucet, stucky, an cut bradley, cut or switch levi browns o-line position, sorry to say but feely needs to go aswell, just my opinion on players im not to fond of..

32. By KDubADub1324 on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

As a team, I love the way AZ is playing overall. As far as the QB situation goes, I like Skelton, but I think Kolb gives AZ the best chance to win and I believe he is the ultimate solution. He clearly is the better quarterback with more experience. Its not fair to judge Kolb based on how this season has gone at this point for him. Give him the offseason to get situated in the offense and then evaluate him next season. If he stinks, fine. But at least you can make a reasonable assessment of him. If he lights it up, great; and all these ignorant fans can eat their words. The Cards got him for a reason. Whiz ain’t dumb, and we all know that Fitz had a say in the trade and wanted him here. People like to use the argument that Skelton is winning games. First of all, while he deserves credit for making some plays (I’ll give him that), the defense, special teams, and running game have come alive (night and day from earlier in the season) pulling these games out and the majority of credit falls on them. Its been more of a team effort though in all phases of the game. Second, you can’t rely on the whole “all he does is win” element . Vince Young won in Tennessee, but look at him now; serviceable backup at best.

33. By wonderingwhy on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I think everybody is right Kolb should play but I think Whiz needs to go over to the Bengals team and ask them before the game not to hit Kolb in the helmet or step on his toe.

34. By Rob on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Is it true that within Kolb’s contract it states that if he does not perform well within his first year of play that the Cardinals can revoke the contract and let him go?

35. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Rob —

RE: Kolb contract

Virtually no NFL contracts are guaranteed. The Cards could cut Fitz next year if they wanted.

36. By Rob on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

and Kdub I hate to say it, but if you think the running game has helped Skelton out you’re a blind man. Beanie had ONE breakout game while Skelton was playing, otherwise Beanie has had some of his worst games of the season while Skelton was playing.

37. By Preston Clarke on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

If fitz didnt catch the pass in ot and it would be 4th down how long of a field goal would it of been for feely?

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Preston —

RE: FG try

Around 53 yards.

39. By FanSinceLomax on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Tough call to make, however if it was me?
    Kolb is gone next year, simply due to the money aspect of it.
    This is why Andy Reid got rid of him, that is why he struggled most of this year.

Regardless of Defense play, Skelton is the better choice, because he has shown he can win games and he seems to be getting better each week.

Simply put Kolb is not worth the money, and John Skelton is worth the money we are paying him.

Regardless of the amazing defense we have been playing, both have been playing with the same poor offensive line, well poor Left Tackle (Levi Brown was horrible against the browns) and right guard.

Skelton makes his reads and progressions, Kolb doesn’t most of the time and would.
    Skellton in my opinion will get better and better.
    Kolb I can’t see advancing beyond, above average in this league.
    I say keep Skelton and focus on him, if you have a chance to trade for Payton Manning (which won’t happen but hey you never know) do it and spend all you can to do it, if he is available.

If he isn’t rolling with Skelton is a great option as well and we can be a winner.
    I feel with Skelton (if he keeps improving) or Manning, we are a Super Bowl team.
    Fitz, Adrian Wilson, Darnell Docket, ect. do not have time to wait around for Kolb to grasp the offense and become slightly better than average in a few years.
    Skelton or Manning is better than Kolb, he isn’t worth the money.
    Kolb talks about wanting to be a professional fisherman, he should be free to do that.
    As bad as he is, to have focus on crap like that is just stupid.
    This isn’t Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers in the off season, this is a key that needs to put tons of time into the QB position.
    Pick one profession and do it well Kevin, it isn’t harder than that.

40. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

FanSinceLomax —

RE: Kolb’s pursuits

It makes me crack up that people think players aren’t allowed to do things in their lives besides football.

Do you focus on your job 24/7? Just curious.

41. By cardsalltheway on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

CJ,
    “The QB situation going forward has got to be a tough call and I’m glad I’m not the coach/GM.”
    I have no sympathy for coach and GM in making this “difficult” decision because they’ve created a political situation themselves, which is why we get the “vague” answer.

“Kolb is the better passer,..”
    I doubt it but only if/when he knows the plays, arm strength isn’t necessary, and he’s not running around like a headless chicken getting hit/sacked/injured.

42. By CJ on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway,
    How can you say that the Coach/GM made the political situation? Kolb got hurt and Skelton did well in his place. That makes for a QB controversy but it’s not like it was orchestrated by the coach. Whiz has always (and rightfully so) backed Kolb as the starter. It’s just fate that created this QB controversy (if there really truly is one), not some big conspiracy by Whiz.

43. By Andy M on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I liked what Whiz said after the game, that Skelton “has the chance to become a very good quarterback”. It seems like Skelton is increasingly captivating the Coach’s imagination. Let’s not forget that Kolb had a good bounce back game before the concussion. Both have up-side. The Cardinals have an enviable situation because if one stumbles, there is another alternative. We were spoiled with Warner, but let’s not forget even Kurt had to pay his dues to grow as a quarterback. Next year, one of the two guys will make a giant leap forward in production and become an above-average QB. It is a nice problem to have.

44. By silverbackdk on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Well said. If healthy you start Kolb for a number of reasons. One we need to see his performance when backed by a good D and a healthy set of TE’s. Second he is less risky to play – even with his record Skelton has a couple of very bad games and we will be facing a pretty tough D.

45. By joe67 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I am amazed when people talk about cutting Heap. We have only seen a glimpse of how much he can help. One question tho. Time after time, the play to Heap has been for 7-8-9 yards. Why can’t we stretch that another yard or two and get the first down. Don’t know if anyone else has noticed this or not.

Darren IYO would moving Brown to Right Tackle improve his game THAT much? I would think if it would, they would have already made some changes to get him over there.

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Levi and RT

I don’t see him moving to RT, to be honest.

47. By Kirbz on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

You people just like Skelton NOW because the Cards are winning. However they are winning mainly because both sides of the line are improving. Kolb is so much better than Skelton you just have to give him a chance with the line we have now.

48. By clssylssy on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

If Kevin is still bothered by the lights and noise that should be a big tip off that he is not 100% back to health yet and this is his second or third concussion so I don’t understand why any consideration of starting him would be a thought. People are concerned that he will lose his job for being hurt which does happen in the world of professional sports, although it kinda goes against our sense of humanity…dog eat dog world etc. At the same time how can he be expected to focus if the noise and lights bother him and he is not well? From Skelton’s performance he has gained the attention of newscasters I’ve never heard say a positive thing about the Cards except for isolated instances when talking about Fitz or Warner. Others have commented on his similarities to Big Ben so if we don’t use him, he’s sure to have better offers. There are reasons why Kevin lost his starter position to the dog killer and I’m thinking it was due to his injuries. Let’s give KK a chance to take “sick leave” the rest of the season and finish with Skelton so this “controversy” doesn’t detract from the business at hand. We need to focus on the Bengals and figure out how we are going to pull that one off…it’s cold back there and our desert boys have never done very well in a hostile climate. GO CARD! BEAT THE BENGALS!

49. By Jzoully on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

OUR BIGGEST ENEMY IS OURSELVES, Skelton has matched his touchdowns with the interception ratio!!! He hasn’t proved anything yet, and quite honestly it might as well be Darnell Dockett or Sam Acho who plays quarterback cuz defense still wins it for us… DUH!!!

50. By Angel G on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I like the idea of a new helmet. A whole new uniform would be great for the 2012 season, something to mark the start of a new beginning.

@DARREN

Have you heard anything regharding new uniforms or any related talk?

Also, when will you do another live chat?

Thanks

Angel

51. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Angel G —

RE: Helmets/Live chats

I will probably do a live chat the week following the last game — whenever that might be.

As for the helmets, I have not heard anything. Nike is taking over for Reebok next year, I know that.

52. By Peter in Canada on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

@CJ and Andy M- You are both right. Whiz picked Warner over Leinart after a fair competition in 2007 and the 2008 camp because he felt Warner gave the team the best chance to win. There is no reason to disbelieve that that the same thing won’t happen again. Whiz did not create the problem it happened thru injury and Skelton seized his opportunity and created a tough decision. That’s just life.

53. By vsancards on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Is it just me or does John Skelton play better at home? On the road his passes seem to sail more (i.e. Rams/49ers (twice)/Panthers). He did look good against the Eagles.

I’m curious what John’s pass completion is on the Road vs. Home. I believe he is 6-0 at overall in his carreer at home, right? (counting Dallas 2011)

Thanks!

54. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

vsancards —

RE: Skelton

Thus far in his career, Skelton has a 50.8 passing rating on the road and 79.6 on the road. he completes 54.2 percent at home, 50.0 on the road.

55. By Chuck 1 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Has anyone said exactly what the problem is with Beanie’s knee?
    Any hints from anyone that he will require surgery during the off-season?

56. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Beanie knee

No, as for the exact nature of his issue, no, it hasn’t been said. I wouldn’t be surprised if it needs, say, a scope job, but that’s just a gut. No one has said anything.

57. By Sarah on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Was curious, does management vet your pieces or are you free to write what you like ? I have noted some bias in the past especially QB .

Keep up the good work.

Merry Xmas
    Sarah

58. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Sarah —

RE: Management

I do not have my stories read before they are posted. I am not even sure who in the building might read them after publication. My reason for being is so that there isn’t just PR-laden stuff on the site. I’m not going to take a pitchfork to players — I didn’t do that when I was at a newspaper, really — but I’m not here to say they are all great all the time either.

As for bias, I guess that’s all relative. Am I not allowed to have opinion? I think it’s safe to say you are a Skelton backer. Is that strictly football-based, or would you say you have bias?

I will tell you the same thing I tell anyone trying to be black-and-white on the QB issue: I don’t think there is a black-and-white answer, although many fans seem to think so for some reason. I think both QBs deserve to be on the same level going into the offseason. I believe Kolb should start right now when healthy because you need to know more about him given the investment. I think neither has played great (look at the stats, they are virtually the same). I know Skelton has won more games, but I also know the defense has played better since he got to play. The one game Kolb played with the “new and improved” defense, he won — in much the same fashion Skelton has.

I am not trying to take anything away from John. Here’s a paragraph from profootballfocus.com’s Cleveland recap. It makes sense to me: “I’ve come to two conclusions. Skelton is more likely to help Arizona to victory with some of his bullet throws, like the one to King with 8:21 to go in the third. But he’s also more likely to cost you a game with some frankly terrible decisions, and inaccurate throws. He certainly isn’t afraid to fit the ball in, but the end result was he can consider himself lucky that he only walked away with one interception, after having another two dropped. That’s the choice the Cardinals may have to eventually make if Kolb continues to underwhelm, because there’s no denying that Skelton is making enough good plays to contribute to his team winning.”

59. By Scott H on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I see no reason for the word “controversy” to be used in reference to the QB position. Why can’t there be an honest, open competition next year in camp with the starting job going to the guy who performs better? What is so controversial about thet??? As far as I’m concerned, that’s just nothing more than the way it should be every year. And why anyone would have a problem with that, I have no idea.

Recently, I have felt myself settle in John Skelton’s corner. Well, call me crazy, but there’s just something about winning that appeals to me. OK…whatever. But during an open competition, if Kolb clearly emerges as the best man for the job, then Kevin Kolb it is. I have no problem with that. I want the best man for the job to be in there. Period.

But right now, I don’t think we know who the best man for the job is and I think we need to allow for an opportunity to establish that.

60. By BIG RED on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren what do you think of this. We send Kolb to Baltimore and they send us back Anquan Boldin. Fair deal don’t you think. By then J.Skelton should be playing like KW, we need two good receivers (Fitz and Boldin). Back to the good all days. Oops! not really a fair deal, Boldin a pro bowler and Kolb is you might call a rookie veteran. Also, we could pick up a QB thats not always injured. Paying to much for someone that won’t ever finish the season is kind of dumm. lol

61. By cards62 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Well I know it is going to be a busy off season for us Cardinal fans and the number 1 discussion over and over again will be who should be our starting QB.

I agree fully with Scott H. that we settle this in camp next season. As of now who knows for sure which one is the best man for the job?

You people wanting Kolb released. New system, no off season work, injuries. Lets give him a full year and lets see what we have with Kolb. If no improvement next year then we release him. My worries for Kolb are happy feet and just bad luck with injuries.

You people saying Skelton is only a backup. Second year QB with no off season work. Experts say players improve the most from their rookie to second year because of off season programs. Go back and watch this seaon and tell me the best 10 throws of the season. I bet you 7 or 8 will be from Skelton. The man has a strong arm, has touch, and can move enough to make plays.Skelton is very inexperienced and seems to be improving. My worries are go back and watch the 10 bonehead passes of the year and I bet you 6 or 7 will be from Skelton ha ha.

Like I said I do not have a favorite yet and would not mind if they bring in another free agent to compete next year or draft a QB in round 1 if we can have our other needs met in free agency. Our team is coming together and we need our team to be together on the starting QB next year even if we fans are not, and the only way to do that is an open competition so that the players see and decide and believe in our QB next season.

Our division is definitely better and improving, but no one in our division has an elite QB yet. I think the team that finds one or develops an existing QB ends up on top.

Go Cards beat the Bengals, and thanks again for the 49ers and Cowboy victories.

62. By Chuck 1 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Obviously, Sarah is a new visitor to this blog. Otherwise, she would have seen your earlier answer many threads ago, Darren, to the question “does management vet your pieces or are you free to write what you like?” (Most of didn’t realize that you are a SHILL for the organization) 🙂

Second subject: Those fans who think that Kolb should be let go during the off season are not dealing in reality. He arrived late, had no OTAs, has been injured several times and hasn’t had an opportunity to be fairly evaluated. If he doesn’t “cut the mustard” next season, then he should be cut or traded

63. By cardsalltheway on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Chuck1,
    “fairly evaluated”
    Thank goodness for that because we might end with another Max Hall or D.Anderson. Remember them, they were better than John Skelton too!
    Frankly, I think they were both used as stunt men to protect Johnny S., so if we end up trading Skelton anytime soon I would be surprised. If Ken W. would admit such a thing he’d gain my respect. I prefer the truth to being “vague.”

“Those fans who think that Kolb should be let go during the off season are not dealing in reality. He arrived late, had no OTAs, has been injured several times and hasn’t had an opportunity to be fairly evaluated.”

That is a poor excuse since Kolb was brought in and expected to perform NOW(and was paid an outrageous amount of $$$ to do so), but as we know he “didn’t know the plays” as well as Johnny S.

Was it irrational to think Kolb could come in and perform NOW? Of course it was but unfortunately Ken W. didn’t think so. Please don’t mention “fair evaluations” again because I’m not sure that’s possible one eensy weensy bit with our QB’s. As Darren has said or mentioned something like, “$$$ is in the way” or has a way of distorting decision making(betterment of the team) which is TOTALLY unfortunate at the most important position of any NFL team.

Do you think Johnny S. “should go” or be traded this offseason?

64. By johnnybluenose on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

we don’t know what kolb can do. with very little training camp and so much practice time and game time lost to his injuries he is still a question mark. but if he is healthy and gets decent reps this week then he should start. we know skelton can be effecient. we don’t know if kolb can be consistently good and we need to find out by allowing him to play. he does need to develop some pocket presence and not hang on to the ball so long and he needs to learn this by playing. training camp next year should be interesting. i don’t see us chasing any other quarterbacks.

65. By kkfan on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

IF the Cards are that quick to give up on Kolb, than you better hope you don’t live to regret it. I could see Andy bringing him back. Since I don’t see him extending Vince Young as the back up given the very poor performances in Vicks absense). And from what I’ve seen of Kafka they must not feel he is ready either to step in as the back up to Vick.

Andy knows what Kevin can do. He knows the system ( unlike here which takes time to adjust to, after being use to one system for 4 yrs.) I for one would love to see Kevin back in an Eagles uni. Since I am both an Eagles fans and a Kolb fan. But I have rooted for the Cards this yr because of Kevin being on the team. And I’ve always liked Fitzgerald and Antwan Bolten, and had hoped the Eagles would have gone after him.

As for the money the Cards have given him, (from what I understand) is spread over the course of the 5 yrs of the contract. I read in a recent article that it wouldn’t cost the Cards much in dead money against their cap if they cut him after this season. Because he is only getting about $557.000 this year in base salary ( or there abouts). The rest of that supposed 60 mil would not be non existent and thus not held against the Cards.

Also where do some fans here get the idea that Kolb has suffered injuries his entire career?. He was NEVER hurt throughout his 4 yrs as a starter in college . He had ONE concussion while in Philly. That kept him out of action for ONE wk .Unfortunately it had to happen the very first game of the season against the Pakcers, Due to the play of Vick the next week, they made the decision to stick with Vick. Kolb never had any other injuries . The turf toe that he has experienced here (probably has more to do with playing on artificial grass) rather than the natural grass that he played on in Philly.

It wasn’t because of his injury that the Eagles choose to stay with Vick. It had more to do with them feeling Vick gave them the better opportunity to win NOW. ( Just as many on these boards think Skelton does ).

Kevin because he had sat patiently behind McNabb for 3 yrs, and then Vick last year, wanted a chance to be a starter. But he had said that he would be happy to remain with the Eagles( as the back up to Vick). If Andy choose to hold onto him. Andy said (in interviews) that “he felt he owed it to Kevin to give him a chance to be a starter” somewhere because it looked like Vick was going to be the face of the franchise heading into the future. What with Vicks popularity with the fan base.

And don’t kid yourselves people .If you don’t think the fact that the one who puts the most fans in the seats . And the jerseys on backs, don’t get factored into who they keep and who they let go, when having to make choices, than you don’t understand business.

66. By Darren Urban on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

KKfan –

RE: Kolb future

Kolb isn’t going anywhere.

67. By Scott H on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

If nothing else, I feel like the QB of the future for this team is definitely on the roster right now! That’s a good thing, ain’t it??? Sure didn’t feel that way this time last year…I was too busy feeling like the season could not end fast enough, it was so God awful. Suddenly, I feel like no matter who is #1 and who is #2 – as long as Kolb and Skelton are the two guys we’re talking about – we are in good shape at QB next year.

68. By KDubADub1324 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Give Kolb a complete offseason and full training camp to build up his timing and confidence in the offense and i think he’ll be fine. Its wiser to make an assessment of him next season because that you way you will have known what your gonna get from him. The lockout hurt some, but didn’t affect others too much. Unfortunately, it affected Kolb and understandably so. AZ runs a totally different style of offense than Philly does and Phillys offense is what is ingrained in his mind after 4 seasons. Phillys offense is west coast, and more designed for all the speed they have, while having unconventional plays w/VIck and McCoy AZs is more timing based and conventional. Skelton hasn’t done any better than Kolb this year, except make a few plays when he absolutely had too (thankfully. lol). Plus he’s had a full season in this system and knows the offense better. That’s what gives him the edge to me. I don’t think its a matter if Kolb is good or not, but a matter of him getting comfortable and getting the system down.

69. By Kevin S on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s funny how everything on this blog turns back to Kolb/Skelton.

It’s also funny how some people act like Whiz has it in for Skelton, or is going to deliberately play Kolb over him just so management doesn’t look like a bunch of idiots for getting Kolb. I think it’s fair to say that if Whiz thinks Skelton is the better QB, he will play him. After all, winning games is the best guarantee of job security in the NFL,

Not to mention the fact that the fans who think the team is somehow screwing over Skelton need to remember that AZ was smart enough to draft him in the first place. I’m sure almost all of the football world was saying, “Who?” when Skelton’s name was announced at the draft. Give the Cards some credit. They drafted him, and are giving him more of a shot than most teams would have. If AZ had gone out and gotten another has-been veteran instead of or in addition to DA last year (many people on this very site were calling for Bulger, McNabb, Garcia…), we might at this point never have seen Skelton do anything other than hold a clipboard.

Maybe there is something special about Skelton. Maybe not. The sample size is still very small and the other factors loom large in explaining his seeming “it” factor, so whether there really is an “it” factor (the “he just wins” quality that people also ascribe to Tebow) is debatable. Other factors being: defense is playing much better; Skelton was the beneficiary of good timing on the schedule (getting to play the worst team in the conference twice and a reeling PHI team in his first 3 wins while getting hammered by SF in between); he’s been as lucky (two of the wins required OT against bad teams, and one of those we needed a blocked FG to even get into OT) as Kolb has been unlucky (D giving up big leads in several of his games). The two SF starts give a glimpse of the good and bad; the first one was about as bad as an NFL QB can be, and the second was very good other than a couple turnovers (one fumble and two INT’s, although the latter were not completely on him).

I remain very glad we have John Skelton on our team. I agree it’s not a no-brainer decision who should be the starter (assuming both are healthy in a given week), although to me it’s still Kolb.

70. By Amac on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Long time reader, first post.

Darrin keep up the great articles. Cards have picked up some games and the last couple month have been exciting. I am a Skelton fan since the day he was drafted. However I am one to say I am willing to wait till he takes the helm full time in the next couple of years. I think he has the physical tools to be an elite quarterback.

Now with this said, Kolb is the best chance to win he is more refined as a QB at this moment. So I want to keep both QB’s till skelton is ready to take the helm on a full time basis when his skills are fully developed. If everyone can relax and get out of the NOW mentality. Skelton could be the talk of the nation like Aaron Rodgers is as he sat and developed behind Farve.

71. By cardsalltheway on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Kolb’s # of TD passes to Fitz = 2
    Skelton’s # of TD passes to Fitz = 4
    That’s twice as many in two less games. Hummm?

“Kolb is smarter”

Huh, really? Darren, do you know their IQ’s? Probably not! So I must rely on the likely fact that Kolb does not use as much of his brain as Johnny S. because Skelton probably uses the right side(2nd language learners use it more than single language learners) of his brain more than Kolb. Conclusion: Johnny S. is smarter.

72. By Darren Urban on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: conclusion

My conclusion is that if you quote me, I’d like it to be actually something I said or wrote. Please tell me exactly where I said “Kolb is smarter.”

It’s funny you chide me about knowing IQs — again, not something I have considered at any point, but let’s not let facts get in the way — yet then you pretty much do the same thing.

73. By Kevin S on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

KKFan,

U of P Stadium’s grass is natural. It’s a dome, but they roll the grass outside to grow it, and then roll it in before the game.