Aeneas named Hall of Fame finalist

Posted by Darren Urban on January 7, 2012 – 2:34 pm

Former Cards cornerback Aeneas Williams, who was the anchor of the secondary from the time he was drafted in 1991 until he was traded to the Rams after the 2000 season, was among 15 finalists of the 2012 Hall of Fame announced Saturday.

The Hall class will be voted on and announced the day before the Super Bowl. Among the other finalists are receiver Cris Carter, running back Jerome Bettis and coach Bill Parcells.

Williams made seven Pro Bowls as a cornerback and another one as a safety, the position he played during two of his final three seasons in St. Louis. He had 55 interceptions in his career, returning nine for touchdowns. The Cardinals inducted him into their Ring of Honor during the 2008 season.

Tags: ,

41 Responses to “Aeneas named Hall of Fame finalist”

1. By TUCSTEVE on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

any news on horton and keim?

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

Tucsteve —

RE: news

Nothing new right now.

3. By Dre1368 on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

I hope he makes it as a card not a ram great player if you don’t believe me ask steve young and Troy and mike Irving

4. By CreditCard on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

Just to make it to the NFL as a practice squad player — you have to be a good athlete. To excel, and for many years is of rare talent. Congrats to Aeneas. I hope he makes it and wears Cardinal red.

5. By AndHeSansSupper on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

I wish nothing but good luck for the guy and respect the cornerback play he did for the Cardinals, BUT…
    Who would you rather have, Aeneas Williams or Larry Centers?

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

AndHeSans —

RE: Aeneas vs Centers

I am assuming you are being at your sarcastic self. Please, please tell me that is sarcasm.

That’s not even close.

7. By antonioangelo21 on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

aeneas williams was amazing, if he was on a team that didnt suck he would have been in the hall of fame years ago. he shut down half the field every game. i dont think people appreciate just how amazing he was. the man deserves to be in the hall of fame.

8. By nationof1 on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

Aeneas was indeed an amazing Cardinal, one of my top 4 or 5 all-time Cards. One of the things that stood out to me in his career was that he was the one to end the consecutive games with a catch streak of the highly over-rated Michael Irvin (ok, ok, I know he was good, but he was a Cowboy, so I have to hate him. Plus, he was a complete jacka$$ off the field).

9. By riwjr on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

Aeneas is way better than Deion Sanders

Also he played 10 years for the Cardinals, only 4 for the Rams

10. By tucsteve on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

i didnt really get into football untill warner started playing. wish i could of seen this guy play for the cards. have any videos of this guy?

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Tucsteve —

RE: Warner video

This is a good example: http://prod.www.cardinals.clubs.nfl.com/media-lounge/videos/Wild-Card-Kurt-Warner-highlights/b3bb5cc1-3909-41e2-a9c4-991283968c3d

12. By Javi on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

darren when does freeagency start and what are the main position moves that the cardinals will make (signings, trades, ect)

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Free agency

It starts March 13. I’d guess they’d look at OL and defensive depth.

14. By dan on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Aeneas should have been a 1st ballot Hall of Famer……..what a joke. Best CB ever to wear a Cardinals uniform.

15. By SuperBird on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Aeneas is the only Cardinal that I have ever met. I can remember seeing him come out of Sun Devil Stadium a couple hours after a game. He came over to me and my friend and threw a couple of passes with us. I was just amazed that a pro football player could be ‘normal’ like the rest of us. Amazing player on the field and just as good off. He deserves the HOF nod.

16. By Enj on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

He was one of the only people I ever saw actually cover Randy Moss in Moss’ early years. On top of being a great cover man, he also gave Steve Young his last concussion in the NFL. I remember watching him hit Ricky Williams And making him sit out a drive folded over on the bench because his ribs just got crushed. This guy also hit like a tank. Ill take him over Neon Deion anyday. Punch in the mouth beats pretty all day long

17. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Good luck to Aeneas. It’s time that great players got due recognition even it they didn’t play the majority of their career for one of the NFL’s favorite children. It’s good to see players proud to wear Cardinal Red and set a president for those to follow, and, there will be more to follow. As they always say with the Academy Awards, “it’s an honor just to be nominated”…but, this guy is truly deserving.

18. By Eric on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

If Deon Sanders get there, and Aennas doesn’t, we’ll know Deon payed to get in. I seriously hope us being stupid and trading him doesn’t hurt our chances of him wearing crimson and white into the hall. Seriously, the man had a gift and saw the entire field with great vision. Things just seemed to move slower for him out there. I can also tell you as someone that met him and shook his hand he was a very gracious and humble person as well. Good luck Aeneas

19. By Tim in NJ on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

If Aeneas Williams makes Canton- and he should- I will do everything I can to be there to see him get in. He was part of some very bad Cardinal teams and finally when they got good (1998) he became elite. In 1997, he totally shut Cowboys HOF WR M.Irvin out in a memorable OT game at SDS, and in 1998 he went into Dallas in a playoff game and did it again, helping the Cardinals to a huge upset win. Aeneas helped the Cardinals build the new stadium by taking a Redskins fumble 100yds for a TD the day before the vote in a huge Dave McGinnis led upset. Aeneas was the heartbeat of this franchise and he consistantly shut the other teams best WR down each week. It was no surprise Aeneas was there to announce the Cardinals were NFC Champions a few years ago. Send the man to Canton. If it wasnt for flashy Deion, Aeneas would of gotten a lot more press as a shutdown CB.

~Tim in NJ
    ps- NFL Network saying Todd Haley return to Cardinals is very close. That is great news, if true.

20. By Jahstone on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Respect due to Aeneas Williams…not only one of the best CB’s ever, but probably one of the most humble and kindest persons you will ever meet. AW should be in the hall of fame…considering the Cards teams he played on!!

21. By G. Witt on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Hope Aeneas makes it in. He was probably the best player for the Cards in the years he played here.. Always a class act. Even when he played in the Super Bowl with the Rams, he never talked trash about his former team.
    Larry Centers couldn’t hold a candle to Aeneas.

22. By Smack 28 on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

Did you hear Charlie Casserly’s comments tonight regarding the Cardinals and possible interest in bringing in Peyton Manning? He thinks we are the ones to watch in the Manning sweepstakes, and it is looks more and more like a possibility with all the changes in Indy. Remember, I brought this up a few weeks ago. Do you think this has legs? Have you heard anything from the inside?

23. By Gary on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Not to change the subject but did you hear what Charlie Casserly said??? He said Peyton Manning might end up playing for the Cardinals and then Kolb would be released…….WOW,what if????

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Everyone —

RE: P Manning

No, I haven’t heard anything but I also have believed Manning, if he can still play, will remain a Colt. Speculation is easy to make. Doesn’t mean anything.

25. By tucsteve on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

sorry for the misunderstanding but i ment i didnt see aeneas play. i saw every game warner played. still thats an cool vid to watch. thanks

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Tucsteve —

RE: Aeneas video

Oops. Sorry for that.

There are a few highlights here: http://www.azcardinals.com/media-lounge/videos/Aeneas-Williams-Ring-of-Honor-Ceremony/e9797a88-8b16-11de-8e35-0ee8612ec13e

27. By brad oneill on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

darren i think he wanted to see videos of Aeneas Williams he didnt get on board until warner was playing. since they didnt have video cameras back when aeneas williams played it will be difficult to find one.

ok they had video cameras but no one pointed them at the cardinals back then. .

28. By Peter in Canada on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Aeneas Williams undoubtedly belongs in the HOF but he was probably only the second greatest CB to play for the Cards, the best being Night Train Lane. He did not have the style and self promotion of Sanders but he certainly had more substance.

29. By tucsteve on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

great video of aeneas. thank you

30. By BIG RED on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

If a guy that couldn’t tackle made it to the HOF (Big Mouth Sanders), I don’t see any problem with Aeneas Williams being inducted.

31. By NJCardsFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Wow, great video. I got chills when they showed the clip of his pre-game speech before the Cowboys playoff game. That was awesome. Aeneas was the only glimmer of hope the Cards had for a long time. He most definitely deserves the Hall. I know the hit unfortunately pretty much ended Steve Young’s career, but man, that was a thing of beauty. That was a rare Monday night game for the Cards, correct?

32. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

NJCardsFan —

RE: Young/Aeneas game

Yes, that was on a Monday night in 1999.

33. By Scott H on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Have always loved Aeneas Williams. Been a fan since Jim Hart was QB and he is still among my top 3 Cardinals players of all time. I respect that he devoted so much of his career to what was basically a lost cause ( sorry to say ) because he REALLY wanted to win something as a Cardinal. My most lasting images from the magical 1998 season are the fans tearing down the goal posts at Sun Devil after beating the Chargers to get in the playoffs and Williams in tears in the locker room after beating the Cowboys in Dallas. Priceless. Just as he was. I am glad he got to win a Super Bowl, even though he had to go somewhere else to do it. He deserved it and I rooted for the Rams all the way that year. AND I am SOOOO glad the organization invited him back to present the Halas trophy after the Cards won the NFC title in 2008. They could not have made a better choice.

Kind of a shame that he spent most of his truly great years in Phoenix but that many people may remember him more as a Ram because of the SB.

Hope he makes it.

34. By PACARDSFAN on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I’m so glad he made it onto the finalist list! Hopefully he will make it into the HOF this year like he should have been since the first vote! He’s in, I’m going to the HOF intro. I would be honored to meet him, as he is one of my all-time favorite Cardinals player and players overall! Welcome respected and well dev. of the HOF!

35. By Peter in Canada on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Scott H – Unfortunately he didn’t win the SB. They overcame a 14 point deficit in the last quarter and then lost on a last second field goal. They blew away the Pats on a Monday night game in Foxboro so they were heavy favourites. They wouuld have won 9 times out of 10. I really felt bad for him because he played great that whole season. It just wasn’t to be.

36. By adamant on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Aeneas was the major reason I watched the CARDS back in the SOSAC days… him and Jake Plummer..

Anyways, on to what I see the CARDS need to address in the draft or thru FA.
    ON DEFENSE: a backup behind CC at DE…is Vonnie Holliday sticking around, Ronald Talley is more then likely gone in 2012. A backup behind Sam Acho at ROLB,don”t believe Brandon Williams will be around. At ILB we need a reliable backup behind Daryl Washington, Reggie Walker doesn’t cut it. At both safety spots we need backups, Rashad aint cuttin it and ADub and Kerry aint getting any younger.

ON OFFENSE: we need to look hard at Levi Brown, there are a few LT studs in the draft. At RG are we happy with Hadnot and Deuce? RT Brandon Keith seems to struggle at times is Jeremy Bridges the answer there with Keith the backup?…The G from Stanford looks good.and of course the most glaring need is a #2 WR, Roberts and Doucett are okay receivers but prolly 3 and 4 WR’s.

Do we go LT or WR at pick 13….cuz we dont have a 2nd round pick unless we get one in a trade or sumthin.

GO CARDS and thanks for keeping us up to date with our redbirds Darren!!!

37. By Scott H on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Peter in Canada –

My bad. I must have got the Rams’ SB’s confused…I could’ve sworn Williams was there for the one they won. No?

Big Red –

THAT is the truth! Deion Sanders was a not even a football player in my opinion. He did ONE THING exceptionally well ( returns ) and one thing very well at times ( playing CB ). ESPN hyped the hell out of him. And he clearly put more work into his endzone dances than his tackling skills. Don’t think he ever even got a grass stain on his uniform in all the years he played.

Aeneas Williams was a damn football player. Truly dedicated to his craft. And NEVER a dirty player but he could bring it. Somewhere, I have an AMAZING picture of him laying out a Seahawks WR and blasting his helmet off his head and into the next time zone.

38. By April on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I know Aeneas personally he is a class act on and off the field. He deserves it

39. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

As far as the Williams/Centers comment I wasn’t being sarcastic. Larry IMO, stood for what the Cards were NOT back then, a winner that played every play like his last, not that Aeneas didn’t; just that he wasn’t as “flashy” to me.
    Then after your reponse, I started reading up on Centers and found that SI article before the Pro Bowl that basically insinuated he was chemical dependent.
    I always understood why you’re a half empty guy and not a “fan” particularly. You see the “inner workings” of the team and the sides of personalities that most people don’t see.
    It just sucks when a person you looked up to turns out to be an impostor.

40. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Centers vs Williams

Hey, I wasn’t trying to imply anything about Centers other than the fact that, while Centers was a nice player and hard worker, I wouldn’t put him in the same class of player like an Aeneas Williams, who I see as a Hall of Famer. That’s all I was trying to say.

2. Jan 17, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogThe case for Aeneas «