Beanie comes back in Missouri

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2012 – 11:03 am

I will have more in a bit, but as expected, RB Beanie Wells came off the PUP list as expected today. He started off in the morning walk through. He’s not going to go against the Chiefs this afternoon in all likelihood, because no reason to go against another team. But it’s a step and Wells said he plans on playing against the Raiders Oct. Aug. 17.

QB Kevin Kolb also took part in the walk through and was pleased he was able to throw. He said he too would take it a practice at a time.

— John Skelton will get the start at QB Friday night. The alternating starts have always been the plan, coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

— T Bobby Massie sat out with a turf toe, although I don’t think it’s serious. LB Paris Lenon also sat with his ankle. FB Jared Crank flew back to Arizona to have his neck checked out.

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Beanie comes back in Missouri”

1. By Rob R on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I keep seeing in Kolb’s defense that he has only 16 starts in his career, and fans should take that into perspective before passing judgement. I would agree if Kolb was a 22-23 year old, second or third year player, but he has had the benefit of multiple training camps and practicing at the NFL speed. If you consider how many games during those 16 starts he was “eligible” to play but couldn’t because of injuries, then its just an excuse.
    I get why you and other writers are pressing fans not to panic and rush to judge, all fans should be behind the team. I want the Cardinals to do great things, therefore I want Kolb (or any Cards QB) to succeed.

2. By Tony on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I hope that’s Aug. 17

3. By samir on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Beanie will be back AUGUST 17, not October, had me worried for a while!

4. By TUCSTEVE on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Looks like Kolb gets along with everyone just fine. Also looks like Beanie has a robot leg

5. By Nick on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren – When will we get to see Ryan Williams in a game? Is he progressing enough to take snaps in the pre-season games?

6. By John the draft guy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I really think Beanie should be held out of all the preseason games. Beanie is big and runs upright. He takes lots of hits. He doesnt need to take more in Preseason. Let him practice and for goodness sake, dont let him take hits.

Darren, any rumblings that Nate Potter could end up as the starting right tackle? I know, out of left field but Massie needs work and now has turf toe (which seems to linger-even mild ones) and we could use an upgrade over Bridges. Just a thought.

Unfortunatly for Lenon, but this mild injury allows Bradley that crack to take over as a starter.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Potter

I don’t see Potter making a starting T run. I think it’d be huge just for him to make the 53.

8. By BigRedHyperbole on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

“Neither guy in this picture has the durability to last a full season.”

-Greg Oden

9. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Glad to hear that Kolb will be back and will play in the next game. I think he needs to get that disastrous outing against the Saints behind him quickly. We as fans need to see it, too. This poor guy…Seems like a black cloud is following him around.

10. By CreditCard on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

The photo of Beanie in that knee brace is definately not encouraging. Other teams will take note.

11. By RON W on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

REST BEANIE IN PRESEASON !!!!

12. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    Didn’t Wells set the Cardinals single game game rushing record with a brace last season? (Though not as elaborate.)

And thanks for the confirmation in advance. 🙂

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Rams game

Yes, he had a brace on in that game.

14. By scott023 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

When Beanie gets on the field he is a beast. He is the one that gives out the punishment, he runs over linebackers. When a running back had a leg injury and still runs for over 1000 yds in the season, he is a workhorse. Then there are the other type of guys that just can not take a hit, Kolb is the other guy. Sorry to say, because I wish he could. However you look at it, it is what it is. Over and over and over again. Why we are not facing this? It is really hurting the rest of the team. We need to give the qb that gives us the best chance to win games the most time behind center, to get the timing down, and it needs to be now. This is not about feelings, it’s about facts, this is a game of now. There is zero chance kolb will win this out, he can not stay healthy. If he still gets the nod, that just cheated all the cardinal of all their hard work and not long before they wonder about the coach and not about the team. I am sure coach Whiz will do this very soon, he is no fool and knows time is the key. Kolb got paid, Even if he took a major cut, he is just injury prone,sorry but true.

15. By Dre on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Big John start fast and don’t look back it yours to lose now. No matter the pay check kolb got there still making money and john is on the cheap to NFL qb standards

16. By cactus_hawaiian on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

-scott23

I believe if we go by facts Kolb had a better completion percentage than Skelton. I’m pretty sure during the broadcast of Sundays game they mentioned that Skelton had the 2nd worst completion percentage of starting qb’s last season.

Also, if we went purely by stats Darren did a comparison of both players in the past that showed Kolb was better.

As far as Kolb having zero chance at being the starter, I believe it’s still 50/50. I dont think 4 pass attempts in the first preseason game, determines that he loses the starting job.

17. By JT on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

-Darren

But that picture of the brace he’s in above, that’s not the brace Beanie’s planning on wearing in the game is it?

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

JT —

RE: Brace

No idea. I might be.

19. By RelayTV on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Just finished watching Training Camp Unfiltered video of the Cards v. Chiefs practice.

Why no shots of Kolb or Skelton throwing?

Nobody loves my man “Rocket” Rich Bartel more than me, but right now, I really think Kolb & Skelton should be the priority for the video team.

Just sayin’

20. By T. Stone on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

People keep talking about Kolb’s Stats of 1-4. All sugar coating. They need to say he was 1-4, with an interception, the 3 he missed on were horrrrrible throws, and almost gave the Saints 4 points and 2 additional possessions via Safety. He left Skelton hanging on a low five as he was walking off the field. Bad attitude and he was atrocious. He doesn’t like the L in his last name? We don’t either because it reminds us of the L as in Loss any team gets when Kolb start a game. Cards need to cut their losses with him.

21. By clssylssy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Cactus…Stats don’t win games, players win games and football is a team sports in which there are many intangibles. I recall being told once that “there is always research that anyone can find to support their hypothesis or point of view”…the same is true in football. You may be interested in the following interesting comparison: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1273861-comparing-arizona-cardinals-qb-john-skelton-to-a-bronze-bust-in-canton?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=arizona-cardinals
    I feel bad for Kolb but I think he has shown that he is not tough enough to take this team to the next level. I can’t remember but I think a player only needs seven years in the NFL to be eligible for retirement and have to wonder if that’s not his goal rather than any kind of success for the team.

22. By Patrick E. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Rob R.

23. By William Barry on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

after listening to NFL field pass, and hearing Kolb throw an interception, John Skelton just might take over the QB spot. We will see.

When will we see Ryan Williams in preseason????

24. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

cactus-hawaiin –

And all of that means nothing if Kolb can’t keep himself on the field. And I believe if we go by the facts, Kolb has spent the better part of the past 2 seasons on the sidelines recovering from injuries. You can’t win games from the sidelines.

Give me all the stats you want. They are all trumped by the fact that Skelton had a better win-loss record than Kolb did. There are no stats that mean more than those two little numbers.

25. By scott023 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

cactus you have a right to feel that kolb is the better qb.However, history with kolb is almost all in the loss side. Call skelton anything you please. The truth is skeltons has a winning record. Darrens completion record of passes means very little if kolb is always hurt. I really wish he has a chance, however I am not just looking at his four passes(two missed two were catches one my us one by the saints). I am looking at his history with us. I stand by zero chance. If he does get the nod , I am sure he will be injured very quickly. Sixty three million, please.