A first for Ryan Williams

Posted by Darren Urban on September 7, 2012 – 11:00 am

Ever since Ryan Williams showed up for the Cardinals, he’s talked about being a contributor. He wants to be a player the team can count on to help, but personally, he’s never made it more than that. The word he used was “irreplaceable,” although it was a nebulous sort of thing. He’d be part of the Beanie-‘lil Sweetness combo.

Something changed though, and even Williams sounded a little surprised with himself. Maybe it was missing a whole season, or getting closer to a game that counts, or something. But Williams said he’s done something different this year for the first time since he’s been playing football: Setting a statistical goal.

“I’ve never, ever in my life made a goal,” Williams said. “I want to be healthy. But statistically, I want to get 65 yards a game. If I can do that, I can get 1,000 by the end of the season. And I want 10 touchdowns too. That’s the minimum, though. If I can go out and get 100 (yards in a game), I’m happy with that. But the goal is to average 65.”

Technically, Williams needs to average 62.5 yards a game to reach 1,000 yards, but you get the point. These days, with 16 games, 1,000 isn’t as big a deal as it was when teams played 12 or 14 games. Then again, in this NFL world of shared time at running back, to have a guy get to 1,000 yards when he doesn’t play all the time is significant. (Beanie broke 1,000 yards last season in 14 games, and averaged 4.3 yards a carry, so it was still a notable feat.) To have Williams do it this year, after the injury he suffered, would be a huge feat for the Cardinals.

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “A first for Ryan Williams”

1. By Sir60 on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

If he can stay healthy, I think he has the talent to do it. I know it’s not likely to happen, but I would love to see Beanie and Ryan together in the backfield.

2. By Dennis on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

I think if Ryan Williams can stay healthy he’ll gain 1000 yards this year.
    The key to this Sundays game is to stop and confuse Russell Wilson.
    The best way to do it is to “spy” him. Assign Daryl Washington to the job.
    His speed and tackling ability will neutralize Wilsons ability to run out of the pocket. We’ll see if Horton agrees.

3. By Eric Y on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

I was listening to the Rage last night and I don’t recall them talking about the condition of his knee. I know he’s good to go and very confident in his abilities, but as a fan, it’s hard to scope his or the organization’s confidence in the knee. Has he given a “percentage” of recovery lately?

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

Eric Y —

RE: Injury

I will have that in my notebook or my Friday before blog, both being posted later this afternoon.

5. By Gerald Jones on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

Gotta love the talent and heart of Ryan Williams. I just pray that he stays healthy so he can become the great back he wants to be. After putting in the hard work of that amazing re-hab, he deserves to success on game day.

Besides talent, football is about desire and determination – and Ryan Williams will show us all what that really looks like on the field.

GO BIG RED!
    Jerry from Chicago. Life long Cardinals fan.

6. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

I got this to say; Go For It. Keep Your Mind Right.

You have already shown us All how to come back from an injury that very well could have ended any chance to play NFL football.

You are “Lil’ Sweetness”, and I can not wait for You to now, show us All, just how Good you really are!

GO CARDS!!!

7. By rojobird on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

I really hope you reach your goal Mr Ryan Williams but keep in mind the main goal of helping your team win games by getting them a lot of first downs and TD’s… I hope everyone in the team has the same goal of going out there and doing there best always … I dont know about you but I’m tired of everyone in the NFL and fans of other teams seen us as an easy win…. I want them to eat their words and fear us cuzz we are coming to there house or vice versa…. LOVE MY CARDS !!!!! GO CARDS!!! LETS DO THIS TOGETHER!!!!

8. By Chuck 1 on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

As someone who’s never attended an NFL team’s in-season practice, what do the “scrubs” do while the first stringers go at each other?

After the 1st string does their thing, does the second team offense practice against the first team defense and vice versa?

Is it 11 on 11 or 7 on 7 or …………….?

Thanks

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Practice

There is 7 on 7 and 11 on 11, depending on the time of practice. In season, many times, the first string defense goes against the second unit/scout offense, and vice versa. Sometimes, the first strings go against each other. Early in the work, there are positional drills and technique work.

10. By SteveG on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

Yds per game has never really excited me as much as yds per carry….You get over 4 yds a carry (As Beanie achieved over the entire season) THEN you are doing something right. If these two can grind down the defenses and see that YPC go up as the game and season goes on? All will be revealed!!

Be fun to see 2X 1000 yds but hard to see how….

11. By jsin on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

Wells Pulling a hammie today may give Williams a shot at his 100 yrds this game…

12. By clssylssy on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

I TOTALLY love the enthusiasm, heart, and positive attitude of our young players!
    When John Skelton came out on Dan Patrick proclaiming his belief that this team could take the Division and make a run for the SB, it was SO refreshing and this belief seems to be echoed by other young players like Ryan Williams, Patrick Peterson, Larod Byrd, William Powell. Michael Floyd etc.! What a great change! My phone has been ringing off the hook with friends from other teams around the league who are impressed and excited about this group of new players. It just really feels good and I hope the Red Sean rises up and supports and carries all of team to a great season! Good Luck Guys! GO CARDS FLY HIGH!

13. By Scott H on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

REEEEEALYY looking forward to seeing this kid play this year!

14. By Derrick Haskan on Sep 8, 2012 | Reply

Hell yeah we do this together GO CARDINALS!!!!