Fitz and the symphony

Posted by Darren Urban on September 19, 2012 – 10:09 am

Larry Fitzgerald is nothing if not cultured, right? So it’s no surprise he’ll find himself in front of The Phoenix Symphony Thursday night, guest conducting the musicians on opening night for their rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner.

Fitz took his turn at rehearsal Tuesday. “It’s an honor,” Fitzgerald said. “I was extremely nervous. I was up in front of some of the best musicians in the world. It’s something so special. To have so many talented people congregated together in one room working as a team, and I’m familiar with the team concept.”

Fitzgerald said owner Bill Bidwill asked him originally if he would be interested in the guest appearance. It was an opportunity he wouldn’t turn down. Standing in front of the 66 musicians Tuesday, Fitzgerald said it was a different kind of vibe. “I know I wasn’t really in control, but you kind of really feel like you are in control a little bit. It’s a surreal feeling.”

His top tip for being a guest conductor sounded a lot like what his top tip would be for being an NFL receiver. “Don’t drop the baton,” Fitzgerald said.

Tickets for opening night — and Fitz’s appearance — can be purchased by calling 602-495-1999 or online at phoenixsymphony.org.

Tags:

10 Responses to “Fitz and the symphony”

1. By D on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Cards need to get the running game going this Sunday….I see Horton blitzing more against Vick…he doesn’t have ability to read defenses and find mismatches like Brady…

2. By Dynosoar on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Ahoy Matey’s,

Me be remindin all ye out there that it be International Talk Like a Pirate Day today.

And don’t ye be sayin things like,

“Hey Dude. Like let me totaly burn a copy of that awsome dvd for you.”

That not be the kind o Pirate speak me be talkin about.

This Sunday me says we be makin Vick and his crew o scurvey scallywags walk the plank and send em to Davey Jones’ Locker. Let Horton’s gang keelhaul they’re mangy hides and send them reelin like a pack o bilge rats. Arrr!

Aye, that there thought be makin me mighty joyous today.

3. By Chuck 1 on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I agree with D.

At some point this season, if the running game doesn’t improve, it will probably cost the Cards a game.

4. By Dynosoar on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Ahoy,

Me be shoutin a grand fine job to Cap’n Fitzgerald on his latest endevours.

This be showin me team aint a bunch o picaroons. Nay, we be made o stiffer stuff than that. On this glorious eloquent day o Pirate Speech, me be remindin ye that Pirates had a Red Sea and so do we.

Let Cap’n Whizenhunt and crew meet out devastation and reap the glorious bounteous treasure of a mighty grand battle.

5. By jocards on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

As is always the case with me I am a bit of a worrier….Sunday we get the Eagles and Vick which presents a whole different set of challenges for our defense in general and our pass rush in particular. Tom Brady is one of the greats without question and I think Horton had a great game plan against him which was well executed. The only good thing about playing Brady is that you generally know where he’ll be, in the pocket. Michael Vick is far from one of the greats but this guy is a very good athlete and he can and does make plays outside of the pocket….You can bring the house but you had better corral him because he isn’t liable to be where you think he will be for very long. Discipline, keep containment, maintain your rush lanes.

6. By Nick Pepe on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

That must be cool as hell. I wonder if any the musicians will be a little nervous or trying not to miss a note when he is up there Thursday night. It would be neat to hear what one of the musicians has to say.

Pretty sweet to have a “face of the franchise” that not only is Hall of Fame level player, but also is so respected by so many (teammates, peers, coaches, media, and in the community). I hope one day soon he is “Grand Marshall” at a certain “victory parade”!

Wonder what negative comment cardsalltheway will come up with for this one????

Enjoy your Wednesday everyone.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    it’s Eagles week!!!!!

7. By Nick Pepe on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

@jocards …..sort of like last year???

8. By jocards on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

@ Nick Pepe – As I recall Vick rushed for nearly 80 yards against us last time and that is largely what has me concerned is his ability to escape pressure. But you probably already know that’s why I’m concerned. He didn’t have a great day passing the football though that’s true. Doesn’t amount to a hill of beans for Sunday though.

9. By Nick Pepe on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

@jocards my reply was more meant to agree with you, not the opposite.

He is most dangerous on the lam, and the first play will be play action deep to #10 (bank on it), But like last year, I think out D is fast enough to contain and hard hitting enough to make him hurt.

Don’t lose coverage (bite on p/a) and contain #25, we should be ok.

I think the more pass attempts they have, the better off we are.

NP
    LM

10. By jocards on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

@Nick Pepe – I wasn’t sure if you were agreeing or not…..sorry, it seems like a lot of fans have so little respect for the opposition sometimes and are so over confident that it is difficult for me to relate. You’re absolutely right about containing McCoy….Great now I’m even more concerned! (told you I’m a worrier) That guy is a playmaker. In this league and with this team every game is a week to week struggle. It sure would be a big win if we could find a way to get this done against the Eagles Sunday.