Mathieu talks as a Cardinal

Posted by Darren Urban on May 9, 2013 – 3:29 pm

The Cardinals’ rookies are in the middle of reporting to the team for the first time — they are in the process of getting physicals as I write this — with rookie minicamp starting tomorrow. Ahead of that, the Cards’ second- and third-round picks, LB Kevin Minter and S Tyrann Mathieu, held their first press conferences. In Mathieu’s case, it made sense. Otherwise, he’d be surrounded tomorrow after the lone practice open to the media.

Mathieu’s intro locally was the big story, of course. (Not that I want to discount the intense Minter, who had this solid line when describing himself: “I’m not a hoo-rah type of guy, I’m more of a speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick guy.”) Mathieu handled himself well. I’ll have more in a story on the homepage in a bit (and here it is), but for now, some of the quick highlights:

— The only way to stop the questions about his past problems, Mathieu said, was “just letting my actions speak for itself. … I definitely have a long journey in front of me.”

— More Mathieu on what lies ahead: “It’s not going to be easy, there will be challenges. But it’s something I’m ready for.”

— Patrick Peterson is going to be very important to this process, Mathieu said. “He’s probably going to be everywhere with me,” Mathieu said with a chuckle. We’ll see how Peterson feels about that notion.

— Mathieu called playing safety was “a challenge” but he’s ready. “I won’t say I’m comfortable with it,” he added.

— It’s time to move on from the ‘Honey Badger” nickname, he said. The nickname itself is fine, but “it’s from a dark time in my life.” That said, he’s OK if little kids want to call him that.

— His name is pronounced TY-run (rhymes with “Byron”) Matthew.

MatheiuPresserUSE

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “Mathieu talks as a Cardinal”

1. By Itsallinthecards on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I”m glad to have Tyrann on board. In my opinion this guy has overcome a tremendous amount in his life – including the tough circumstances of how he was raised and deserves the opportunity that comes from being gifted and from working hard. I hope they help protect him from himself by surrounding him with positive influences and helping him avoid the dangerous places that could result in a relapse. He has a chance like Josh Hamilton to remake himself and I hope he makes the most of it.

I’m rooting for him.

Go Cards.

2. By lg on May 9, 2013 | Reply

let’s get it going bird gang

3. By Jesse on May 9, 2013 | Reply

“It’s time to move on from the ‘Honey Badger” nickname, he said. The nickname itself is fine, but “it’s from a dark time in my life.” That said, he’s OK if little kids want to call him that.”
    This right here is so important and I’m glad he said something about it. He’s a professional now and should let go of his past. What he did in college and who he was no longer matters, it’s what he does now and in the future.
    I hope this kid can become a play maker for us!

4. By johnnybluenose on May 9, 2013 | Reply

When Mathieu says there will be challenges ahead and that it won’t be easy I get the impression he is talking more about off-field issues than on-field issues. He is only 20 years old and there will be so many temptations out there for him to deal with. He seems like a sincere and likeable young man and I’m sure he wants to succeed and go down the right path. For his own sake I hope he can stay out of trouble and be a good role model for other kids.

5. By ored on May 9, 2013 | Reply

some people finally see the light and fight to overcome obstacles,those are the ones you root for to become “special’.not only does he have to put to rest past mistakes now he must prove that an undersized kid can play among the giants in the nfl.it won’t always be easy but i feel he is in a good place with good teammates from college and a team structure that wants him to succeed.it would be nice if he became our defensive version of rg3.

6. By philly cards on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I like his style. But the size is my issue.if he translates 65% of lsu to the nfl I’d be happy. He was in a spot to excell there. To play in one position. Within the structure of nfl free saftey. He’s got his head on right. We usually get good guys.that’s our thing

7. By Patrick on May 9, 2013 | Reply

At the end of rookies arrive on campus, I hope the cardinals teach Swope what the blue recycling container is for.

8. By AZ2Ga32 on May 9, 2013 | Reply

AS A LONG TIME FAN, I SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS ( TYRANN M. ) PICK. THE CARDS ARE IN IT TO WIN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT GO CRAZY AND SIGN C. WOODSON. WE NEED A WINNER AND A LEADER IN CARDS BACKFIELD.

9. By DontTakeLosses on May 9, 2013 | Reply

They might just catch lightening in a bottle with Tyrann. Must admit, he is a very endearing, earnest young man. And wow do I like Minter, what an enforcer, man! Good drafting Cardinals.

Perhaps a good omen, had two Cardinal birds in my lime tree this am whistling. One was almost orange he was so bright. That may have been TM’s omen…

Not jesting, we have Cardinals all over our housing addition. Darren allowed me to post a pic link last year…wasn’t fast enuff on these two…

10. By Derek DeVore on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Love how Tyrann is handling things so far. Just let actions do the talking.
    Maybe what he has gone through has guided him to better judgment and
    showing maturity. Anyway it is cool to have a guy that’s a beast on the field.
    Looking forward to seeing him play!!!!!