With a practice down, no Cooper yet

Posted by Darren Urban on July 26, 2013 – 9:59 pm

With Eric Winston’s arrival, much of the talk concerning the Cardinals’ offensive line had been about the tackles. Then the team had their first practice Friday afternoon, and it wasn’t who lined up as first-string tackles that drew the eye (Massie and Brown, by the way) but the first-up guards. On the right side, it was Paul Fanaika and not Daryn Colledge, but that could be explained easily — Colledge was off tending to a personal matter. And the left guard was Chilo Rachal and not Jonathan Cooper, although that too could be explained easily. Cooper, the team’s first-round pick, was still unsigned.

It’s not about the money, which is slotted as per the new CBA. It’s about the contract’s offset language, which Kent Somers does a nice job outlining here. Cooper’s side doesn’t want the language. The Cardinals do not want to take it out. When this ends, we’ll have to see. I’ve seen plenty of contract disputes with first-round picks in the past and there have been many greater hurdles than this. But right now, it’s a waiting game. Someone will have to blink.

Tags:

33 Responses to “With a practice down, no Cooper yet”

1. By Alan on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Come in and do your job and you won’t have to worry about offset language big boy.

2. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Aw come on Coop, no matter how you look at it, it is still a truck load of Money!

Man you are going to be so far behind you won’t catch up till half way through OTA’s next year!

Come On Man!

GO CARDS!!!

3. By Eazy E on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Get it together Cards!

4. By Eazy E on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Oooooohhh! Nickel D-Line looking nice!

5. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Darren the link ‘does a nice job…..’ comes up ‘Not Found’

GO CARDS!!!

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

AzDesert —

RE: Link

Fixed.

7. By luk on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

holy cow daren 4 minute daily video!thank you so much love all the dedication and in depth updates!

8. By Logan Cooper on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

With virtually no competition at the guard position, by the 3rd or 4th day he will be missing valuable starter time. He needs to be signed by and getting reps by Monday.

9. By Corgon on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

I don’t like this. You’ll have your money one way or the other. As 7th overall the OL will be your last problem if we’ll cut you in the next years. Sign the contract and get your ass to the field!

10. By William Nielsen on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I know that this question is quite off-topic, but it looks like Larry Fitzgerald finally made a helmet change.

Did he really change his IQ to a speed for the regular season? Or will he just use it for camp?

11. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

William —

RE: Fitz helmet

Honestly, I hadn’t noticed. I don’t know why he wouldn’t use this helmet going forward.

12. By 123funky on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

I just looked closer, and it is actually a Riddell 360 and not a Speed. But I guess he just felt like he needed a change (since he won’t Cut his awesome hair).

If you find out anything about the helmet change, please let me know, sadly I am not able to ask anyone since I live in Denmark.

By the Way, thank you so much for writing such great articles and blogposts, it is really appreciated!

13. By wonderingwhy on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Seriously, Is his agent new or is he trying to make a name for himself? He is still getting paid the full amount, get to practice man and stop the madness.

14. By D on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Takes both sides to get a deal done, but this situation killed Keim’s perfect offseason…he was so close to having a GM’s ideal summer

15. By Dynosoar on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

AzDesert,

A truckload is right. More money than I’ll see in my lifetime combined. (And that’s ok, I have enough for a few Cardinals Jerseys, so I’m good.)

I like that our Cardinals want the offset language. Especially if the monies going to a cut player without the language goes against the cap.

I don’t want to pay a player who may be playing for our opponents (unless that player is like General Jubilation T. Cornpone from the Li’l Abner comics. “He’s the best general for the North, because he fights for the South.”)

(I also paraphrase General Cornpone to my fencers “Fencers don’t retreat, we advance to the rear.”)

16. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Cooper get your ass in here and stop being a girl…..

As for imo i’m a cards fan and i look at it from business standpoint and CREDIT SHOULD GO TO KEIM FOR NOT BEING A ROD GRAVES..TOTAL DIFFERENT ATTITUDE AND ATMOSPHERE HERE I LOVE IT.

17. By rod on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren…would you happen to know how many fans showed up yesterday? Thanks

18. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Rod —

RE: Crowd

Cardinals estimated the crowd at 8,100.

19. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Read Somers link, Coop getting bad advice, greed, or appearance thereof, not a good start… step up young man and take your $10M…

20. By Chuck 1 on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

To: Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK,

You are right on re: Graves.
    He was a disaster.

21. By John S on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

He needs to stop listening to some dingbat agent and get to camp for the good of the team.

22. By discouraged on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Why do these first rounders think they RATE contract negotiations. They have not proved one attribute or worth in a regular season snap. Cooper or your agent (who ever runs your life), stop being a coward and show up to camp.

23. By Mike Hadzinski C.M. PUNK on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

cooper is already guarntee the 10 mill. this makes him more under my microscope for being better than levi brown….

24. By Alan on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Wow… Didn’t really seem like the selfish type when we drafted him. Defiantly not off to a good start with his new team.

25. By Stephen on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Is it Cooper or his agent that is the cause of this issue?

26. By Darren Urban on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Stephen —

RE: Cooper

Not sure how there is a difference.

27. By cardinalchris on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

What a disappointment this kid is! I thought he was a football player! He’s a whiney fat baby! He wants to double dip if he stinks it up or just starts not liking it here!! Sounds like an emotional mess! Maybe he’s on his menstrual cycle and things will look better next week! Everyone said this guy was a character guy… Guess they have a bunch of bad characters in North Carolina and this slob was just the best of a bad bunch!

28. By dieselbomb on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

I’m solidly behind the message to Cooper : ” Sign Now. Get on field and practice.”

On another, but related note:

I believe Rookies ought to get a standard contract with the exact same pay no matter the position. The contract ought to be standard as far as length – I’d say 2 years. Then, after they’ve proven themselves, they can negotiate for the first time to secure better terms. If the guy washes out, so be it. He won’t be getting a big time contract, but he still could end up on a team as a back-up and be paid accordingly. If he proved to be a star-quality player, they’ll pay him that way.

I think this minimum contract thing would get rid of these problems. If you don’t sing, you don’t play in the NFL. I’d go so far as to ban negotiating now, as a Rookie, for what occurs after the two-year contract. This would help people get washed out or pumped up without all the controversy. They’d have to prove their worth on field – not in someone’s agent’s office.

29. By Safety Guy on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

My take would be, if I were king Arians.
    Play who ya got in the position. If Cooper can’t wrangle his agent, so be it. Move on! We got games to play. If you want to hold out…you don’t play. Cards don’t move backwards, we go north and south and win. Coop doesn’t want to play, so be it. We got a bench job for ya!

30. By Card shark on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Calm down people…..the deal will get done soon enough

31. By johnnybluenose on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

I can only assume that Cooper will come to his senses soon and sign his contract. But, assuming he is still unsigned near the end of pre-season, meaning that he will not be a starter and significant contributor at the beginning of the season and for many weeks thereafter, would the Cardinals still be obliged to pay him the same amount then as he would receive now? And, if he never signs with the Cardinals, does Cooper eventually become a free agent and what compensation, if any, would the Cardinals receive in such a situation?

32. By Darren Urban on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose —

RE: Contract

The “never signing” thing is moot, because I guarantee that will never happen. But if he did that, he’d go back into the draft next April.

As for the contract, salaries are doled out 1/17 at a time during the regular season. If he misses preseason, that obviously doesn’t affect the salary check. If he misses regular season time, it’s 1/17 of his salary for every week he misses. His signing bonus is just that, so if he signs a contract, he gets the money, whenever that is.

33. By sunday on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Let cooper handle his bussiness and fans focus on being a fan. Its bussiness at the end of a day and nobody knows every detail and some comments are more emotional than what’s real. Last time I check he wasn’t only rookie unsigned going to camp. It has none to do with him being a man may b some fans need to stop acting like cry babies understand its nfl. Its bussiness happens all the time.