Dockett and his history Incognito

Posted by Darren Urban on November 4, 2013 – 5:18 pm

Darnell Dockett was speaking very matter-of-factly Monday. There was little emotion in his voice, although there might have been, since the topic was longtime nemesis Richie Incognito and Incognito’s suspension after his alleged bullying of teammate Jonathan Martin in Miami. Long before now, back when Incognito was playing for the Rams, he would get under the skin of Dockett and then-Cardinal defensive end Antonio Smith, and the two would often talk about having to face him before the twice-a-year Cards-Rams games. Safe to say there was no love lost there. Dockett has had his fun in the past with a war of words with guys like Vernon Davis — and considering they are friends, it was fun. The Incognito stuff was not that. They weren’t alone. Former Cardinal defensive lineman Nick Eason once said Incognito spit on him during a game.

“Nothing that guy does surprises me at all,” Dockett said Monday. “I’ve had a few incidents with that guy, I’ve seen other players have incidents with that guy, I’ve seen everything he has tried to do to hurt guys. It’s unfortunate you try to mentally hurt guys you need to win football games, actually a guy on the same side as you. That’s very unfortunate.”

Smith, who left after the 2008 season to sign with the Texans (who visit University of Phoenix Stadium Sunday), had one very public run-in with Incognito after both left the NFC West. Last year in the preseason, Smith got so fed up with Incognito that he ripped the offensive lineman’s helmet off and swung it at Incognito. That got him a suspension. Like Dockett, Smith told reporters Monday he wasn’t surprised Incognito was involved in the latest news.

“You are what you are I guess,” Smith said. “That doesn’t surprise me one bit.”

Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby played with Incognito in Miami and was in the awkward position to talk about the situation. He called Incognito a good teammate from what he had been around. Safe to say Dockett isn’t going to come around to that line of thinking. Someone asked Dockett if he could be specific with his run-ins with Incognito.

“I don’t have to get into the details,” Dockett said. “Everything I’ve seen I’m pretty sure you’ve seen it too. Anybody that’s been around sports has seen this guy. It ain’t hard, Just Google it. I’m not going to get into details because I honestly don’t care about the guy at all. I’m just glad the NFL and the Miami Dolphins are taking action. I don’t have any respect for the guy.”

DockRichieUSE

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Dockett and his history Incognito”

1. By Rich on Nov 4, 2013 | Reply

Incognito should be cut, his contract void, and no NFL team should be permitted to sign him as a player or hire him for anything…..including as a coach or scout or security guard or anything. He needs to get some counseling, some therapy, some help. But he can never have anything to do with the league, ever again.

2. By georgiebird on Nov 4, 2013 | Reply

The black players on the Dolphins should be ashamed of themselves. To allow Rich Incognito (non black player) to bully Jonathan Martin (black player) with racial slurs is a disgrace to all the black players on the Dolphins.
    As with most NFL rosters, the Dolphin team is predominantly black players. How the black players could stand around while the bullying was going on is unbelievable?
    The suspension of Incognito is totally justified. Also, each black player should apologize to Martin for standing around and not coming to his defense.
    And if the Dolphin organization knew about this bullying, they should be given no less a fate then Joe Paterno received.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

In no way would I defend this guy. He seems like Romanoski loaded on steroids.

But, since this is a cardinal blog, can someone tell me how Conrad Dobler’s behavior is praised and Incognito’s is condemned. Wasn’t Dobler deemed the nastiest, dirtiest player in football? Didn’t he have every defensive lineman hate him? He called players names and spit on them. He made Suh look like a choir boy. Dockett and Smith would hate that guy.

Funny how times have changed. I still see cardinal fans saying we need lineman like Dobler. I’d be curious to see how Dobler fans would defend him.

4. By Jim Mcfetridge on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

It is always refreshing to get a quote from Dockett.His willingness to be honest & fair is always enlightening. This story with Darren Urban getting the best out of Dockett is the best I have read about the disgusting Incognito story.

5. By jasonc on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I never saw Dobler play so I can’t speak anything about him. I would just caution you that being dirty player on the field and bullying someone on your own team to the degree that they feel intimidated to give you large sums of money and eventually leave the team because of the abuse are COMPLETELY different things. I understand how the two players might be compared on the field but it’s uncool to insinuate that these two men are similar in anyway.

6. By georgiebird on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

The Incognito story makes no sense. Unless Incognito had the approval of the black players, I don’t see how he could have racially bullied Martin for a prolonged period of time.
    I feel there’s so much more to this story. When the Eagles’ Riley Cooper carelessly used the N word, you thought that he was going to be tortured by the black players.
    If there was complicity on the part of the black players then I don’t consider this a racial incident. Incognito is just a modern day Conrad Dobler.

7. By wonderingwhy on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

There are plenty of guys that will be respectful to their team mates, respectful to their opponents, and at the end of the day be a good example for the young players coming up, not a douche bag. This guy needs to move on, he obviously does not respect the game and the people that play it.

8. By Big Ken on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

Let’s keep our ultra violent profootball mean and nasty. I think this is the issue of crapping on your own teammate which is deplorable. No excuse for Incognito’s behavior. And maybe Jonathan Martin isn’t cut out to be a football player. Interesting article in Sports Illustrated about NFL not like player that are too smart.

9. By ored on Nov 5, 2013 | Reply

maybe there is something to a big offensive lineman coming from stanford that rankles some.martin did’nt go as high in the draft as projected but still was good enough to be a starter,and my thoughts are he is smart enough to have plans for his future,which did’nt involve throwing his hard earned money on lavish,wasteful dinners and parties,could be some jealousy involved trying to drag martin down to a lower level.
    memo;your careers are short,the sport is violent,every draft someone new is looking to take your job,you get paid millions…make it count,tomorrow is not promised,do what you have to on the field then let it go,change into your real life clothes and enjoy your millions.

10. By georgiebird on Nov 6, 2013 | Reply

As usual, my posts on the Incognito story are the only one’s that made any sense. Guys like Rich played the PC card and nearly everyone confirmed his position.by a split of 23-2. Now we are finding that Miami coaches may have put Incognito up to the harassment. The story will continue to have legs and Incognito will probably sue the NFL for millions-good for him.
    Bottom line-The Incognito story made no sense from the beginning. The vast majority of people who post here usually don’t know what they are talking about.

11. By jasonc on Nov 6, 2013 | Reply

“The vast majority of people who post here usually don’t know what they are talking about.”

Kettle….meet pot.

12. By Big Ken on Nov 6, 2013 | Reply

RE: Ored Dave De Castro has turned out to be solid. If I remember some felt Martin rode on De Castro’s apron strings.

13. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 6, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

Dobler; – I dont think players are one person on the field and someone else off the field. I dont think character changes as you put on your street clothes.

As for Incognito, Junior Seau stole Ryan Leifs credit card and took players out and ran up a 50K bill. When Leif complained, he was labeled a baby.

Heck, didn’t Dockett shave the eye brow off Honey Badger?

I watched Tebow walk around with the Padre haircut.

Every NFL team hazes. Even our cardinals. Is it right?

I think of the movie “A Few Good Men”. As a military guy, you know you need to count on the guy next to you. So if he seems weak, he is pushed. In the movie, he was pushed to far. Football teams , Offensive lines feel the same way. When someone isnt working hard, are labeled as weak, they are pushed. It sounds like he was pushed too far.

I’m not sure what happened in Miami, but I have seen several quotes from Miami players saying they love Richie. Not to mention, he was voted to the leadership committee for the dolphins. Maybe coaches had Richie push him. Maybe Richie did it himself. I’m not sure we will find the truth.

Or as Jack says, You cant handle the truth.

14. By Eazy E on Nov 6, 2013 | Reply

Incognito fooled so many people about his change but I was still skeptical because of his past and present too because of Hard Knocks last year. I fully believe in people getting 2nd chances because everybody rather they admit it or not got one from the crucifixion of Jesus Christ but Incognito’s NFL career should be over. I was always against Hazing because it is bullying and your being kinda picked on. He called Jonathan Martin everything but the child of God. I mean to make him pay for the dinner that was over 15k is beyond ridiculous. He called him a half N-word, said he would slap his real mother, said he was still a rookie when he was in his 2nd year, said he would slap him in his expletive mouth. He also called him female expletives, the man career is over! Dockett, Antonio, many players had no respect for him because of his super dirty play and he’s just a jerk, idiot, and other things that I could say but probably wouldn’t be put up here.

15. By jasonc on Nov 6, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I’m sorry but I disagree with you. It is completely plausible that a player could have different personas on the field and off and you saying that Dobler was a bully because of the way he played the game is an assumption. As far as the Incognito situation I can’t say what his intent was, but the fact is that Martin felt that he was being demeaned and it caused him emotional stress. In the military hazing is prohibited because the definition of hazing is negative…do we still have traditions? Yes and they are meant to be rites of passage and are used as team building and they are always wanted actions. If you don’t want them you don’t have to participate, but in my experience none of our traditions are meant to cause stress or humiliation to the participants. You will never be able to convince me that the way to get Martin to play harder was to use demeaning language and racial slurs. Now, do some people respond positively or aggressively to that type of stimulation? Sure, but the first thing you learn as a leader of men is that there is a spectrum of personalities…some people respond to a kick in the butt or a slap in the face while it causes others who might need a pat on the back or positive reenforcement to shrink.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

” I understand how the two players might be compared on the field but it’s uncool to insinuate that these two men are similar in anyway.”

I find It uncool to jump to conclusions.
    Tannehill said these two guys are best friends. Tyson Clabo said they did everything together (Martin and Incognito) and if there was anything going on, no one seen it.
    Bryant Mckinnie, Brian Hartline, Cameron Wake, Mike Wallace, along with Clabo and Tannehill and others all are on Incognito’s side.

You take one side and assume it is true because the one player has a bad past and the April voicemail , Thats uncool. (which is weird that a guy would save a voicemail, do nothing, tell no one, and act like he and Richie are best friends, knowing he is saving a voicemail for a moment like this)

Here is what the Miami paper investigation is finding;
    “They don’t feel as if he’s a racist, they don’t feel as if he picked on Jonathan repeatedly and bullied him, but if they could do it all over again there would be situations that they might change but they’re very, very comfortable with Richie,” Carter reported on Wednesday, via the Sun Sentinel. “They think it’s sad, not only that Jonathan’s not on the football team, but also that Richie is being depicted as a bigot and as a racist.”

People who jump on someone without knowing the facts and depict a man as a racist and bully, when not knowing the facts, that is what is wrong in the story.

17. By jason on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I didn’t take a side. My first post was just stating that because two people played the same on the field doesn’t mean you should compare the way they are viewed as a whole, especially when one has been alleged to have participated in bullying and was recorded using a racial slur. In my second post I said that I didn’t know Incognito’s intent, but that intent doesn’t matter if his actions caused harm. What I do take offense to and why Incognito has opened himself up to be depicted a racist is because he used racially charged language. Does using a racial slur make someone a racist? I think it’s an indicator and if you choose to use such offensive language then yes, you open yourself up to questions and criticisms.